PDA

View Full Version : Horrible sound from distributor area

revslide
25-06-2008, 02:02 AM
I've started my car yesterday and a horrible shrieking sound (like rusty metal) came out near the distributor area. The sound goes away after around 5 seconds and everything sounded normal.

Now that the same thing happened this morning again. I realised the sound only comes on if i leave the car for a prolonged time. Bcos after hearing the sound, i quickly tuned it off and back again, it sounded ok.

Hope someone would know what is wrong with my car...thanks in advance.

aaronng
25-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Your accessory belt needs replacement or a bit of teflon spray grease.

bennjamin
25-06-2008, 02:00 PM
are you sure its "metally" or "whiney" (like a rubber belt whine)

IF it came from the distributor area - it could be the internal bearing on the distributor shaft. This does need replacement every 10 years or so normal use so look at that option of replacement. It will fail eventually and seize so IF thats it , you need to fix it.

IF it comes from the other side of the engine bay ( timing belt side) - it more than likely is accessory belts like aarong said.
Listen closely around the power steering , air conditioner and alternator belt. They can squeel if old and worn or too tight

aaronng
25-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Oops, I was thinking of the wrong side. My bad.... But get someone to start the car for you, and you listen with your head near the engine bay.

revslide
25-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Yea i had someone to start the car and the sound was coming more from the distributor area. The timing belt is some distance away on the right side so i'm guessing it may not be the cause.

I'm planning to bring it down to my mechanic this weekend. Hopefully nothing serious. :(

kapten
26-06-2008, 11:45 AM
If its coming from the distributor, then it would require some lubricating, i had the same problem a couple of months back and lubricating it worked good with no further problems.