PDA

View Full Version : New CU2 Accord Euro - My car, my review!

Pages : [1] 2

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Engine Bay:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Engine-Bay.jpg

The engine bay is very well laid out. There is heaps of room in there. Heaps of room behind the engine for a turbo, that’s for sure. There is a good 12", probably more!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Head.jpg
The header is cast into the head. Pity about that.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Strut-Brace.jpg

The strut brace is a solid unit, and it's made solid! Very well done Honda! I would like to see if it actually makes a difference on this sweet, sweet chassis.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Exhaust.jpg

Looking at the exhaust system, I don’t think much gains are available. The whole system looks quality.

Interior:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Dash-Lay-Out.jpg
I love the dash lay out. I was worried that the dash was going to be too high. It's not. Not even close. With the steering wheel in the highest position, it clears the top of the dash. The dash as a whole is no so much higher than the CL9, but more it extends from front to back a lot more. I think it is only due to the display in the middle.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Gauge-Cluster.jpg
The gauge cluster is nice. The functions are also a nice touch. One thing that did annoy me is that on the manual, the tacho cluster has nothing in the middle of it. On the auto, it has the usual gearstick position displayed. This balances up the field of view nicely, but on the manual, it just seems odd.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Door.jpg
One thing I did really notice it that I didn’t feel so claustrophobic when I got in. The doors are not at shoulder level when you are seated like the CL9. A definite improvement. I thought the seat fabric was better in the CL9, I also liked the leather better in CL9 also. I thought the door trim would look better if it was a different colour. I like the doors though.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Seat.jpg
The seating position is very adjustable. Very comfortable to sit in. They hug your whole body. Very nice.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Rear-Cabin.jpg
The rear seats are subject of much debate. I’m about 6'2". I sat in the back of my car with the front seats right back. I couldn't sit with my knees behind the front seat, but I can't do this in a lot of cars. One thing though, my head was touching the roof. I was not comfortable, and I don't know if I could handle a road trip in the back. I would have to slump down into the very comfortable seats, but the front seats would have to go forward a bit. What I did find is that when I was driving, I didn't need the seat all the way back.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Armrest-Compartment.jpg

The AUX input in the centre armrest compartment is awesome. There is another cigarette lighter hole in there too. The air-con vents in the glove box and armrest compartment are I think gimmicky.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Glove-Compartment.jpg
I think I can remember the CL9 glove compartment being bigger than this. The shelf is removable. I think the cooler/air-con vent is useless.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Parcel-Shelf.jpg
Rear parcel shelf. What were they thinking? What's with the cream colour in a black interior? They seriously have to change this. The sub-woofer is a nice touch!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Audio.jpg
The sound system is great. It has 10 speakers, with a speaker in the middle of the top of the dash. The controls are easy to use, and the system is really adjustable. I have heard that it is made by Alpine. I haven't found any evidence to back this up though. The 6 stacker works great and the display is very nice. It shows up the song titles and everything. I do think there is way too many buttons in the middle now though.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Footwell.jpg
The pedal layout is sweet. I think they have done a much better job than previously. It seems that they have taken more effort in this department. I can remember the pedals in the CL9 feeling cheap. The footrest is also bigger and comfortable. There just seems to be way more room down there. Easy to stretch out with the cruise control on.

Brakes:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Rear-Wheel.jpg
This is the rear 17” wheel of the base. The brakes on this baby are definitely bigger. I don't think they work better though. I think the compound they have used is too soft. They do scrub speed very well though. I tested mine out and I didn't get the ABS to kick in which surprised me how hard I was braking. The pedal feel was softer than I would have liked, but the more you press the pedal, the firmer it got. I guess no one wants his or her brakes too touchy. They were very compliant in pulling the car up straight though.

Driving Impressions:
The engine is wonderful! It is nice with plenty of torque. I find the fun starts in the high 3k's rpm's and goes to redline. Definitely more of a midrange motor though. Tons of power around 4k-6k rpm. It does definitely continue to redline no worries at all, but unlike before, you don't need to go there to get the best out of it. I just can't wait till mine loosens up.

The car does not float over the road at all. It just feels so much more planted. This is a driver’s car. That is for sure. The ride is firm and stable. It soaks up the bumps nicely. I read some Yank review that said it was harsh and bumpy, and that you will wear your coffee. I just drove 500kms back from Perth last night and I can say it is more than comfortable. I don’t think the suspension needs upgrading on this baby at all. It only needs to be dropped 1” for looks (instead of 2” on CL9). On the CL9, the first thing I wanted to do was change the suspension. Not on the CU2!

I feel it accelerates quicker than CL9 despite the extra weight. The extra weight feels like it is strapped to the bottom of the car, evenly distributed. In the back of my mind, I know it's there, but the only thing I think it seems to effect is acceleration in the higher gears. Don't get me wrong, this car still really hauls ass. The COG is Definitely at the bottom of the car. I have been flogging it around corners all morning at speeds I really shouldn't be, and this baby is so very well planted.

I brought the 6sp manual base model. The gearbox is totally awesome! It's a definite improvement over the CL9. I don’t think it is a short shift, and could benefit from one. It feels so nice to use.
They have definitely changed gear ratios, this is what I got:
1st: 50km/h @ 7,000 rpm
2nd: 85km/h @ 7,000rpm
3rd: 135km/h @7,000rpm
4th: 175km/h @ 7,000rpm
5th: 200+km/h
6th: Are you crazy?

The clutch is also a work of art. It is light, and retains the same feeling no matter how much you press it in, or let it out. The engagement is very nice. It is not grabby at all. It is almost as if it was electronic or something.

First impressions of the tyres are that they are really good. I think a lot of people are going to be happy with these.

Final thoughts:
The more I drive this car, the more I like it. Just like the CL9, this baby just grows and grows on you. Honda has done a fantastic job on this one. I feel it is even more squarely aimed at the young executive then ever before.

Sadly, just a quick test drive around the block with the salesman is not going to tell you anything about the potential of this car. Yes, going slow, this car has the perception of being anaesthetised. This car is sooooo much better than that. Is this a fun car to drive? Of course it is! Because everything works so well, you just have to drive quicker to get that CL9 rawness feeling. That’s how I would explain the difference. CL9 - a bit raw, a bit sloppy (in comparison). I think that’s where the fun comes from with the CL9. And as for the CU2? Smoooooth is how I describe it. I feel it does everything better.

Would I trade a CL9 for a CU2? That is the question on everyone’s mind right? Put it this way. If I had an old CL9 base, I'd trade for a Lux model. I had an '04 base, it was nice. I personally don't think I could trade CL9 base for CU2 base. For me personally, it is something about having to get better. I think the CU2 is the better car for sure, but trade base for base? You'd loose too much $$$ for not that much gain.

If I had a CL9 Lux, I'd probably wait another year for the diesel. There is no denying that the CL9 is such a fantastic car. If I didn't have a Euro at all, which one would I buy? CU2, no doubt about it.

I have no doubt that stock for stock; the CU2 would kick the pants off the CL9 around a racetrack.

I just can't help wondering what the CU2 would be like if it was the same weight as the CL9, or even 100kgs less than what it weighs now. There will be no comparison to be had. There would be no more 'Which is better, CL9 or CU2?' threads. I think this car needs another 20kw or so. I thought that about the CL9, but I definately think that now.

SiReal
26-06-2008, 04:25 PM
nice writeup :thumbsup:

mr747
26-06-2008, 04:52 PM
nice write up thanks for the review

rusty
26-06-2008, 04:56 PM
1st: 50km/h @ 7,000 rpm
2nd: 85km/h @ 7,000rpm
3rd: 135km/h @7,000rpm
4th: 175km/h @ 7,000rpm
5th: 200+km/h
6th: Are you crazy?

Mate, you revved your brand new car to the redline already :eek:
Where did you drive it? Did you manage to get the 0-100 km/h time?

mr747
26-06-2008, 04:58 PM
they are already run in from the factory

Philip Lee
26-06-2008, 05:13 PM
they are already run in from the factory

engine yes, gearbox no.

baboo
26-06-2008, 05:15 PM
excellent review!

aaronng
26-06-2008, 05:20 PM
engine yes, gearbox no.

As long as you don't shock the gear box with high rpm launching, it will be fine eventhough the car is brand new.

aaronng
26-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Love your review! Your review is better than all those reviews on carpoint, carsales, drive.com.au etc. :thumbsup:

raz05
26-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Love the dash board, the gauge is a lot more sporter than the CL9

MKI4EVA
26-06-2008, 05:49 PM
AHhahaha stock strutbrace for a family sedan.........that spells out the intentions right there........SWEET!!!

ah is it me or am I seeing caster rods for the rear suspension as well? ROFL.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Love your review! Your review is better than all those reviews on carpoint, carsales, drive.com.au etc. :thumbsup:
Me thinks they haven't driven the car. I bet they just cut and paste from internet. Everyone seems to have the same review. :zip:

felixd
26-06-2008, 06:00 PM
WOW nice review its such a nice car n this will compete with all the europeans model type of car for sure

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 06:05 PM
As long as you don't shock the gear box with high rpm launching, it will be fine eventhough the car is brand new.
No launching yet.

I had VSA kick in a few times though. Cornering is so much fun in this car.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Mate, you revved your brand new car to the redline already :eek:
Where did you drive it? Did you manage to get the 0-100 km/h time?
Yeah, the engines are fine. The Honda salesmen got aquainted with them
flogging them around a racetrack. ;)

They do loosen up a bit more though. It does rev fairly freely though.

I got no way of measuring 0-100 time sorry. I think I need to get a G-tech meter! LOL.

WIL70S
26-06-2008, 06:14 PM
in my opinion this car will look so much hotter when on 20s and vip style rather than jdm. but who knows yet.

havent seen any modified so far.

power_of_dreams
26-06-2008, 06:17 PM
wait, so if you want to put on extractors your going to need a new engine head?

MKI4EVA
26-06-2008, 06:20 PM
just as a general comment I took it to max 5,500rpm for the first 1,500km when we got the 07sport civic just so the brakes and clutch bed in. After that it was redline 24/7 and now the car has 47,000km on the clock and it honest feels like it's loosened up so much from the flogging. It feels heaps strong.

tony1234
26-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Agreed.Good review.Makes me want to go and buy a CU2 lux.:thumbsup:

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 06:23 PM
in my opinion this car will look so much hotter when on 20s and vip style rather than jdm. but who knows yet.

havent seen any modified so far.
Im thinking 18's or 19's. I live in the country though, and I still value a bit of ride quality. LOL!

Mugen released this bodykit for the new Accord a day after it was released, so hopefully the kit for the Euro isn't too far away...
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/02/mugen-modifies-honda-accord-creates-the-inspire/

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Yep. Or start cutting. :p
Pity, thats where alot of the kW gains come from with this car.

kimnkk
26-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the review mate! Great looking car, colour and everything :D. Looks fantastic!

ultimatekenz
26-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Excellent write up!
Its great to read a review thats completely unbiased and also giving the pros and cons between the two models.

Thanks!

centurionau
26-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Excuse my naivety, but I am not a CL9 owner.
What is the aux input - USB?
Does the CD stacker play MP3 disks?
What do the 5 10 15 mean in the trip computer under the l/100klm setting?

Thx.

unity
26-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Excuse my naivety, but I am not a CL9 owner.
What is the aux input - USB?
Does the CD stacker play MP3 disks?
What do the 5 10 15 mean in the trip computer under the l/100klm setting?

Thx.

The new euro plays mp3 and wma
The aux input is a 2.5mm stereo jack
The 5 10 15 is a measure of fuel consumption in the units of litres per 100 kilometres

unity
26-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Fantastic review. Enjoy your new car. I'll be sticking with my 2008 euro. Its too new to trade in yet.

centurionau
26-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Thx for your reply Unity.
Does this mean that the display does not have an LCD readout of your fuel consumption - merely the 5 10 15 marks?

_Vtekn_
26-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Great Review mate, Hope you enjoy it:thumbsup:

unity
26-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Does this mean that the display does not have an LCD readout of your fuel consumption - merely the 5 10 15 marks?

It does give you a numerical reading (average) to 1 decimal place, however, the 5 10 15 display will give you the fuel consumption in real time ie when you accelerate, break, etc

aaronng
26-06-2008, 08:48 PM
AHhahaha stock strutbrace for a family sedan.........that spells out the intentions right there........SWEET!!!

ah is it me or am I seeing caster rods for the rear suspension as well? ROFL.

How can the rear suspension have castor?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

aaronng
26-06-2008, 08:49 PM

You don't, because just behind the head is the 1st cat. This car has 2 cats.

Euro76
26-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Nice review! I think I am fine with my current Euro thanks :)
My 6MT can go to 98km/h on 2nd gear and you said the new 6MT Euro only goes up to 85km/h? I can think the performance could be slower than the previous base 6MT Euro. But I might be wrong. I love the VTEC kicking especially on 2nd gear.

Euro76
26-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Fantastic review. Enjoy your new car. I'll be sticking with my 2008 euro. Its too new to trade in yet.

Too true :D
I got 2007 model and I feel it's way too early to trade in, and my car still drive like new! Done almost 30k on the clock and feel rock solid :thumbsup:

Euro76
26-06-2008, 09:19 PM
By the way Aaron, is it now the time for creating another sub forum titled "Accord Euro CU2" so we will have two Accord Euro sub forums under Accord main forum?

Pumped
26-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Nice work on the write up, great to see these photos

thinking i might have to test drive the lux :)
looks like it would make a great car to drive to work in :p

euro77
26-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I think I can remember the CL9 glove compartment being bigger than this. The shelf is removable. I think the cooler/air-con vent is useless.

That's actually for keeping your drink cold/hot LOL
Seriously, that's what they say in the launch.

aaronng
26-06-2008, 10:10 PM
By the way Aaron, is it now the time for creating another sub forum titled "Accord Euro CU2" so we will have two Accord Euro sub forums under Accord main forum?

Nope, the CL9 subforum will probably be renamed to just "Accord Euro" or "Accord Euro CL9 & CU2"

IVTECS4
26-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Awesome review of the CU2... well written mate! :thumbsup: - as aaronng said - more informative to the articles that drive, goauto does :p

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 10:45 PM

It does give you a numerical reading (average) to 1 decimal place, however, the 5 10 15 display will give you the fuel consumption in real time ie when you accelerate, break, etc
Yeah, nothing comes up unless you are moving.

I'll post up the other display screens tomorrow. :cool:

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Nice review! I think I am fine with my current Euro thanks :)
My 6MT can go to 98km/h on 2nd gear and you said the new 6MT Euro only goes up to 85km/h? I can think the performance could be slower than the previous base 6MT Euro. But I might be wrong. I love the VTEC kicking especially on 2nd gear.
Yeah, definately not 100km/h in second like before. ~85km/h was @7k rpm. I didn't want to bounce it of the limiter.....
Gears are closer so easier to accelerate.
Its deceptively quick.

IVTECS4
26-06-2008, 10:55 PM
The reason for the rear shelf being cream colour rather than black... is either Honda is lazy or if it was black then it will start peeling ( on hot days or somethin) unless you opt for the tint. I don't know, could be wrong though...

SPQR
26-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Congratulations! Great review.

I drove a Luxury Auto today. Very smooth, quieter and it goes very well. But I think I'll wait before buying. I got the feeling that Honda could have released the CL9 and CU2 concurrently as two distinct models. Both of them are that good. The CU2 is better though. I loved all the extra creature comforts and that comfortable ride with great handling as well.

The car is noticeably wider inside but I am a bit dumb struck with how they increased the wheelbase by so much with no noticeable benefit whatsoever for the rear seat passengers. Where did the extra mm go?

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Excellent write up!
Its great to read a review thats completely unbiased and also giving the pros and cons between the two models.

Thanks!
I will post up a love/hate list in a week or so.

I think everyone has expected way too much with this model. It is to compete with the Audi A4, BMW 320i.... not S4 or M3!

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:10 PM
The car is noticeably wider inside but I am a bit dumb struck with how they increased the wheelbase by so much with no noticeable benefit whatsoever for the rear seat passengers. Where did the extra mm go? Under the bonnet. There is room for something a lot bigger than an NA inline 4. There is also room for a rear diff. I just don't know if the tranny tunnel is big enough for a drive shaft though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

PNR888
26-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice review. I am eyeing on Lux Navi because of its reverse camera. I think it is a good safety feature if you have young kids around the house. To me, Navi is not that essential, but for extra $3000, you get navi plus reverse camera, it is more value for $ compare to CL9's $4000 navi.

Does anyone know if CU2's navi system is the same as CL9's? There are comments posted on other thread saying CL9's navi system is not that easy to use. and the software disc included is old. I hope there are some improvement to CU2's Navi

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:11 PM
The reason for the rear shelf being cream colour rather than black... is either Honda is lazy or if it was black then it will start peeling ( on hot days or somethin) unless you opt for the tint. I don't know, could be wrong though...
It actually matches the roof and pillars. It is just totally wrong colour though.....

unity
26-06-2008, 11:14 PM
What's wrong with using a portable GPS? How often do the updates come for the car and how much do they cost?

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Does anyone know if CU2's navi system is the same as CL9's? There are comments posted on other thread saying CL9's navi system is not that easy to use. and the software disc included is old. I hope there are some improvement to CU2's Navi
The yanks complaining that it is not touch screen, just a dial. I didn't see the Navi, because they only had a standard lux auto model.
I was also the first one in WA to get a new Euro! :D

aaronng
26-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Under the bonnet. There is room for something a lot bigger than an NA inline 4. There is also room for a rear diff. I just don't know if the tranny tunnel is big enough for a drive shaft though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Is there a transmission tunnel under the CU2?!

unity
26-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey, Type R Positive, any rattles or noises from the car yet?
In a day or 2 your will be ready for the 1000km check up!!!

SPQR
26-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Under the bonnet. There is room for something a lot bigger than an NA inline 4. There is also room for a rear diff. I just don't know if the tranny tunnel is big enough for a drive shaft though. I'll post pics tomorrow.

They (as in the web as a whole) say that the diesel is wider and so that's why the car is wider. The diesel probably needs more room fore and aft as well as width. Are you shawd about the space for a rear diff?

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:18 PM
What's wrong with using a portable GPS? How often do the updates come for the car and how much do they cost?
My $500 Garmin works exellent! I'd be lost with out it! (pun intended! :p)

I saw the dealers advertising the map updates for sale, and offering a free $50 fuel voucher. I'd say it costs quite a few $$$, but I really have no idea on price.

unity
26-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Any one know whether the car navi is compatible with the traffic report feature thats soon going to become available? I think it needs to be able to receive FM transmissions.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Nothing. Very quiet. I thought the CL9 was quiet. I have only had it a day!!! Wait till next week and I'll report back.

Yeah, check up needed soon!!! It was a 500km trip back last night from Perth with the car. So new. So nice. Albany is 300kms away, but I got to go back to Bunbury to get my boot liner whenever they get it in. They haven't made them for the base model yet.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Any one know whether the car navi is compatible with the traffic report feature thats soon going to become available? I think it needs to be able to receive FM transmissions.
TSX is, but we don't get some of their cool features, like bluetooth. I did notice bluetooth is an accessory you can buy though.

SPQR
26-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Maybe that's what the shark fin is for on the TSX roof.

aaronng
26-06-2008, 11:26 PM
You should vary the RPM when you're on the freeway.

unity
26-06-2008, 11:27 PM
You get many people having a good stare at the car while you are driving it?
Any feed back about it from non Honda drivers/owners?
Anyway I look forward to hearing your report in the next week or two!!

yourfather
26-06-2008, 11:28 PM
my colt has more rear legroom and my head isnt even close to the roof.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:30 PM
They (as in the web as a whole) say that the diesel is wider and so that's why the car is wider. The diesel probably needs more room fore and aft as well as width. Are you shawd about the space for a rear diff?Yep, I took a photo of it this morning. It looks strange having a big hole there for a diff and axles.

There is definately tons of room for turbo. I suppose they need room for an intercooler too. The head design makes me wonder if they are using RDX head? Cast in extractors just seems strange.

SPQR
26-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Yep, I took a photo of it this morning. It looks strange having a big hole there for a diff and axles.

There is definitely tons of room for turbo. I suppose they need room for an intercooler too. The head design makes me wonder if they are using RDX head? Cast in extractors just seems strange.

The diesel has a turbocharger. The extra room at the back for a diff could be for a SHAWD version.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:37 PM
You get many people having a good stare at the car while you are driving it?
Any feed back about it from non Honda drivers/owners?
Anyway I look forward to hearing your report in the next week or two!!
Nah, I live in a mining town mate. Plenty of shiny things here. I only got back late last night, and only took it for another flog this morning. I did get a few looks in Bunbury, The typical 'what the F's that?' looks, but I was only there long enough to fuel up and go.

I do wish I was in Perth though, might have got a few people that knew what it was.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:39 PM
The diesel has a turbocharger. The extra room at the back for a diff could be for a SHAWD version.
Yep 2.2L TD.

I'd like SH-AWD with RDX engine though. The Yanks would go beserk over that!

unity
26-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Nah, I live in a mining town mate. Plenty of shiny things here. I only got back late last night, and only took it for another flog this morning. I did get a few looks in Bunbury, The typical 'what the F's that?' looks, but I was only there long enough to fuel up and go.

I do wish I was in Perth though, might have got a few people that knew what it was.

They must all be driving new cars up there!!! Plenty of money nowadays in those mining towns. I suppose your car would get dirty really quick too. Hope there's plenty of water there to wash it.

SPQR
26-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I got looks once. December 27, 1984 when I drove a brand spanking new silver Ferrari 308GTSi QV into town at night. After that, never again.

Type R Positive
26-06-2008, 11:42 PM
They must all be driving new cars up there!!! Plenty of money nowadays in those mining towns. I suppose your car would get dirty really quick too. Hope there's plenty of water there to wash it.
Haha, my Prado looks like I went to the cape and back, but it hasn't been off road!
*Note to self, wash car!*

unity
27-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Taking another look at your photos I reckon the trip computer looks bigger and better on the CL9.

Crapdaz
27-06-2008, 12:39 AM
good writeup

looks to me the engine bay has been expanded ?

so there is less leg room, for the rear.

kitbkk
27-06-2008, 12:41 AM
thanks very much. nice review indeed.

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Taking another look at your photos I reckon the trip computer looks bigger and better on the CL9.
What, can you tell that from 1 photo?
I will post up the pics of the computer functions tomorrow. There's a few of them!

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 01:24 AM
good writeup

looks to me the engine bay has been expanded ?

so there is less leg room, for the rear.
Nah, not less. Just not more.
Engine bay heaps bigger.

Crapdaz
27-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Nah, not less. Just not more.
Engine bay heaps bigger.
What i meant was because the engine bay looks like its expanded its actually pushed the front seat slightly further back which causes leg room for the rear seats to be reduced.

BUT can't really tell unless you see it personally.

tony1234
27-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah i agree.That's what it seems in the photo.

Pumped
27-06-2008, 08:58 AM
What i meant was because the engine bay looks like its expanded its actually pushed the front seat slightly further back which causes leg room for the rear seats to be reduced.

BUT can't really tell unless you see it personally.

lol
Its a totally new base i'd assume, they didnt just move the engine bay back

andyhui01
27-06-2008, 01:30 PM
very nice... any chance of getting some exterior pics of the car? Would really like to see some non-professional shots of the new CU Euro :D

Euro76
27-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, definately not 100km/h in second like before. ~85km/h was @7k rpm. I didn't want to bounce it of the limiter.....
Gears are closer so easier to accelerate.
Its deceptively quick.

I heard that CU2 loses raw feeling when VTEC kicks in compared to CL9? How do you feel when kicking VTEC on your CU2?

aaronng
27-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I heard that CU2 loses raw feeling when VTEC kicks in compared to CL9? How do you feel when kicking VTEC on your CU2?

Raw feeling? I can barely tell when it is vtec on my CL9...

Euro76
27-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Raw feeling? I can barely tell when it is vtec on my CL9...

The reason why I said raw was referring to how hard VTEC kicks in. Forgive me if you did not understand, it's just my way of describing things. Compared to CL9 I've driven my friend's Civic EK9 VTiR and its VTEC kicks harder than CL9. I guess CL9 only kicks in way softer.

Pumped
27-06-2008, 03:13 PM
man, when vtec kicks in driving my CL9, those people 3 lanes across gotsta look out :p

centurionau
27-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, it would be great if you could take pics of the trip computer screen functions. It will certainly help those of us who are contemplating purchasing this vehicle in the future. A good consumer is a well informed one, hehe.

Suntzu
27-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Nice review. that new gearing looks sweet. i wish my CL9 was geared like that. Pity about the header being built in though. Im guessing its a good job though.

aaronng
27-06-2008, 05:04 PM
The reason why I said raw was referring to how hard VTEC kicks in. Forgive me if you did not understand, it's just my way of describing things. Compared to CL9 I've driven my friend's Civic EK9 VTiR and its VTEC kicks harder than CL9. I guess CL9 only kicks in way softer.

I can't even tell the change in engine sound on my CL9. hhehehe. I'll post up dyno vids later and you try to listen for when it passes 6000rpm. Broken vtec ftw!

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 06:19 PM
very nice... any chance of getting some exterior pics of the car? Would really like to see some non-professional shots of the new CU Euro :D
Will do.

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 06:21 PM
You should vary the RPM when you're on the freeway.
I do with new cars. I swap between 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 06:43 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Front.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Front-Right.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/My-CU2-Euro-1.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Rear-Right.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Rear.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Front-Left.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Front-Side.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Rear-Lines.jpg

aaronng
27-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Try to guess when is vtec. I can't tell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q19wN4fWFqs

ShAwNeX
27-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Try to guess when is vtec. I can't tell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q19wN4fWFqs

Bad recording?

kimnkk
27-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the exterior shots! Have to say, looks hot in that colour :D. But isn't it called Volcano Grey? Or do they call it Volcanic Ash over west side?

The stock grill looks quite nice, especially in person. I'm glad we didn't end up with the Acura one, and it also looks better than the sport grill, in my opinion anyway.

Lets see what Mugen come up with!

aaronng
27-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Bad recording?

Sony Digital8 video camera. :)
Even when I am driving, I can't hear a change in engine note as I pass 6000rpm.

What about in this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql6e9K1X9k

Type R Positive
27-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the exterior shots! Have to say, looks hot in that colour :D. But isn't it called Volcano Grey? Or do they call it Volcanic Ash over west side?

The stock grill looks quite nice, especially in person. I'm glad we didn't end up with the Acura one, and it also looks better than the sport grill, in my opinion anyway.

Lets see what Mugen come up with!
Haha, just checked the brochure and yes, Volcano Grey.
All the dealers over here seem to call it volcanic ash! I must change it...

Grill is fine. Yes to mugen!!!

SPQR
28-06-2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql6e9K1X9k

I can feel the VTEC change over but I've not really paid much attention at what revs this happens. In terms of the engine note, I can only hear it revving at a faster rate.

tony1234
28-06-2008, 07:51 AM
VTec crossover on CU2 is supposed to be 5300RPM.Type R Positive is this so?

Euro76
28-06-2008, 09:35 AM
The CU2 Euro is definitely wider than CL9, that means more shoulder room. I like it, giving sporty appearance.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Front.jpg

Euro76
28-06-2008, 10:15 AM

I can hear VTEC kicks in slowly maybe you press gas pedal deeper in slow way?

yfin
28-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Great review!

I happened to test the manual new euro this morning. What a cracking drive! Very impressed. I especially loved the gearbox - the shifter is in a nicer position and it is such a sweet sweet gear change.

The engine also feels completely different. It revs so much more freely it has to be seen to be believed how different it is - it just spins and spins through the rev range FAST. I wonder whether they have lightened the flywheel in addition to the shorter gear ratios.

Power is actually pretty good (a compliment considering my last car was a 6litre v8) - the car moves along very nicely indeed. I can see how some people would say the new model is faster because it revs so much more freely and the accelerator is more responsive to input. HOWEVER - looking at the speedo carefully I am not convinced it accelerates faster. Very similar to the old model actually - maybe slower. The short gear ratios confused my sense of pace. It is probably like the new Civic type R - people test drive one and think it is a rocket because it revs so easily - but put it against the clock and it is 0-100 in 7.5 seconds.

The car is quieter and more compliant over bumps and pot holes. Great improvement in ride and cabin noise.

The HUGE leap forward is in the steering feel and the handling. This new euro changes direction and corners similar to a CL9 with coilovers and sway bars. It is flatter around corners and just loves to change direction. Stock for stock there is no comparison between the old and new in the handling department. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Overall Honda is on to a real winner here. Value for money is outstanding and I really enjoyed how the new model drives. The manual is a real drivers car. If it had 30kw more power it would be outstanding. Notwithstanding that, would I consider buying one? Hell yeah, this is a great car.

Euro76
28-06-2008, 10:23 AM

What about in this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ql6e9K1X9k

Although you did not hear a change in engine note but I can hear that the engine rev quite faster than normal on high rpm. I think that's when VTEC kicks.

Euro76
28-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Great review!

I happened to test the manual new euro this morning. What a cracking drive! Very impressed. I especially loved the gearbox - the shifter is in a nicer position and it is such a sweet sweet gear change.

The engine also feels completely different. It revs so much more freely it has to be seen to be believed how different it is - it just spins and spins through the rev range FAST. I wonder whether they have lightened the flywheel in addition to the shorter gear ratios.

Power is actually pretty good - the car moves along very nicely indeed. I can see how some people would say the new model is faster because it revs so much more freely and the accelerator is more responsive to input. HOWEVER - looking at the speedo carefully I am not convinced it accelerates faster. Very similar to the old model actually - maybe slower. The short gear ratios confused my sense of pace. It is probably like the Civic type R - people test drive one and think it is a rocket because it revs so easily - but put it against the clock and it is 0-100 in 7.5 seconds.

The car is quieter and more compliant over bumps and pot holes. Great improvement in ride and cabin noise.

The HUGE leap forward is in the steering feel and the handling. This new euro changes direction and corners similar to a CL9 with coilovers and sway bars. It is flatter around corners and just loves to change direction. Stock for stock there is no comparison between the old and new in the handling department. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Overall Honda is on to a real winner here. Value for money is outstanding and I really enjoyed how the new model drives. The manual is a real drivers car. If it had 30kw more power it would be outstanding. Would I buy one? Hell yeah, this is a great car.

I have not test drive the new CU2 Euro, however I am very sure that CL9 chassis could handle more power, for at least another 20kw or more. Take a look at JDM Euro R, their power figure is 160kw I believe? It's 20kw more than Aus spec Euro. CU2 however should be able to handle more power, 148kw sounds not quite difference than CL9 although I agreed you said extra 30kw will be better.

yfin
28-06-2008, 10:56 AM
forgot to mention that the floor mats in the euro are soooo ugly ! They have these wavy lines on them that look very 80s......

Looking at the accessory brochure i see that there are some "packs" available (pricing not set yet):

Sports Pack: Sports grille, aero bumper front and rear, skirts, spoiler, 10 spoke alloys

Elegance Pack: inerior panel 9 piece set, shift knob, sports steering wheel, door garnish...

I am sure the aero bumpers are going to be pricey as they are a complete bumper replacement.

aaronng
28-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I can hear VTEC kicks in slowly maybe you press gas pedal deeper in slow way?

It was taken on a dyno using full throttle.

T-onedc2
28-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Great write up mate :thumbsup:

buddah51au
28-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I had the oportunity to take a standard CU2 Auto for an extensive test drive and came away very impressed, a great all round package. I do not agree with some road test reports about the vauge steering, i found it to be very well wieghted. Honda has a winner on its hands.

kimnkk
28-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I am sure the aero bumpers are going to be pricey as they are a complete bumper replacement.

I'm not sure how much they are here, but apparently in the states, for the bumpers and skirts alone, it's US$3000. Knowing how much we get rorted here, i'm guessing the front, rear and skirt replacements will set us back at least $4k. They would be good down the track when you can probably get them thrown in for free.

yfin
28-06-2008, 05:39 PM
They would be good down the track when you can probably get them thrown in for free.

yeah i expect there would be a sports model eventually with all of that included. Shame it is not available now.

SPQR
28-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Great review!

The higher compression ratio helps (10.5 increased to 11.0).

Type R Positive
28-06-2008, 10:33 PM
VTec crossover on CU2 is supposed to be 5300RPM.Type R Positive is this so?
I honestly don't know. Seems to me that it really takes off at around 4k rpms. I will have to try to take more notice. I feel this car has the most grunt around 4k - 6.5k rpms.

I'm trying to find a tsx dyno but can't find any?

Blitzen
28-06-2008, 11:23 PM
nice write up, but all things need run in, and your already vtecing it?!...

Blitzen
28-06-2008, 11:27 PM

I heard a lil' bit at 6,750rpm (1min 22sec into the video)

Type R Positive
28-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice comments Yfin. :thumbsup:

I am glad someone else likes it and just not me. I guess lots of people bag it because they got CL9 and won't upgrade. The Yanks are REALLY bagging the crap out of it... The biggest thing that pisses me off about this car is that one yank (I think it was Edmond's) slags it, so the whole media follows... I just read the Wheels review of the european CU2, and they only had positive things to say. I still haven't seen any 'professional' heads up reviews of CL9 vs CU2, only regurgitated crap.

The handling is out of this world. I still can't believe it. I said it before, THIS IS A DRIVERS CAR!!!!! I don't know how or why everyone is complaining about the steering. Grip is sooo much better. The VSA would kick in all the time in my CL9, cutting power when ever I booted it in 1st or 2nd. Not in the CU2. I haven't really given it a hard time yet in 1st though. I only got VSA kick in flogging it around a 90* corner at 60km/h in 2nd. So far, no matter what I do, the car just sits flat!!! The tyres are the limiting factor, but it amazes me so much how well it works with these 'comfort' tyres.

I had the feeling that it revs easy, but I don't know about the flywheel weight. The reason I say this is because when you back off, there is a definate lack of engine braking. Either Honda has given the fuel map some over-run for smoothness, or the flywheel is heavier then what is thought. I think the extra torque is the biggest factor though. Because it is so smooth (tried to replicate the head banging CL9), I thought it could actually benefit from a lightened flywheel. Anyways, I will just have to wait till more info on the matter comes to hand.

Honda has worked so very hard on this car. They have given us a car that just works so well. I know im very happy with it. I still kick myself when I think about the price of this car. My base CU2 has some better features than my $80k VX Prado! You definately get a whole lot of car for very little money.

Type R Positive
28-06-2008, 11:36 PM
nice write up, but all things need run in, and your already vtecing it?!...
Motors are already run in.....
My car has done about 700kms now, BTW....

Type R Positive
28-06-2008, 11:46 PM
forgot to mention that the floor mats in the euro are soooo ugly ! They have these wavy lines on them that look very 80s......

Looking at the accessory brochure i see that there are some "packs" available (pricing not set yet):

Sports Pack: Sports grille, aero bumper front and rear, skirts, spoiler, 10 spoke alloys

Elegance Pack: inerior panel 9 piece set, shift knob, sports steering wheel, door garnish...

I am very interested in the elegance pack. I think it would spice up the interior just that bit more. The silver trim that I paid heaps for in the CL9 comes stock now in the CU2. I am going to ask my dealers it I can get it at cost price. I don't need/want the steering wheel though. They still owe me a boot liner too.

Sports pack would cost some big bucks I'd imagine. I'm going to wait for some other kits to come out like Mugen's. This car has got some great potential.

The floor mats were very nice in the CL9, I still have them sitting around in my shed somewhere. The CU2 mats are good, I think the colour is to break up the (very) black interior. I am waiting for a dash mat too, I think the interior would be that much nicer with one.

The stock CU2 gear knob sucks! Haha, need to get another one for sure.

Euro76
29-06-2008, 09:39 AM
It was taken on a dyno using full throttle.

Ahh I see :)

Euro76
29-06-2008, 09:44 AM
The floor mats were very nice in the CL9, I still have them sitting around in my shed somewhere. The CU2 mats are good, I think the colour is to break up the (very) black interior. I am waiting for a dash mat too, I think the interior would be that much nicer with one.

The stock CU2 gear knob sucks! Haha, need to get another one for sure.

Could not agree more. When I bought CL9 I've asked the salesperson to throw genuine Honda Accord Euro mat with Accord Euro written on it. He gave one and I can tell this mat is absolutely high in quality and it's made in Japan. I'm happy with it :)

As for the gear knob, the standard CL9 gear knob is leather covered. I don't think it's available on standard CU2.

centurionau
29-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey Type R +ve, please dont forget to post some shots of the different displays for the trip computer functions. Thx.

tanalasta
29-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice review. I was interested to hear how the increased weight vs increased engine power would measure out.

How is the build quality (I think the new Euro is no longer built in Japan), especially the interior?

Lastly, what happens if you 'don't' run the gearbox in properly?

aaronng
29-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Still built in Japan.

ShAwNeX
29-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Any chance that front strut brace would fit on the old CL9?

yfin
29-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Any chance that front strut brace would fit on the old CL9?

unlikely to fit - just get the cusco one

skyflyer
29-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Still built in Japan.

How about the normal Accord? That is the Inspire... Is it built in Japan too? Or Thailand... Thanks.

yfin
29-06-2008, 04:01 PM
How about the normal Accord? That is the Inspire... Is it built in Japan too? Or Thailand... Thanks.

Thailand

SPQR
29-06-2008, 04:08 PM
The following Russian video of the new Accord CU2 shows that they get remote control of the windows and moonroof for both opening and closing! (It's right at the end of the clip.) My local H Dealer told me the new model didn't do this party trick anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4sTGZGkvys&NR=1

Russia must be a hugely important market for Honda.

aaronng
29-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Inspire is built in Japan. Accord is built in Thailand. US Accord (exact same as our Thai Accord) is built in USA.

Drew
29-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Russia must be a hugely important market for Honda.

145 Million Vs 20 Million

aaronng
29-06-2008, 07:12 PM
145 Million Vs 20 Million
So true, Australia is like a drop of piss in a urinal full of pee.

Type R Positive
29-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey Type R +ve, please dont forget to post some shots of the different displays for the trip computer functions. Thx.I will, but i'm on night shift untill wed morning. I have pics at home that I have to resize and throw on photobucket. I will see how I go if im not too tired tomorrow morning. I usually crash out straight away.

Type R Positive
29-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Nice review. I was interested to hear how the increased weight vs increased engine power would measure out.

How is the build quality (I think the new Euro is no longer built in Japan), especially the interior?

Lastly, what happens if you 'don't' run the gearbox in properly?
Build quality is still top notch. Interior just seems a bit weird because the dash is a bit busy, if you know what I mean. I had a real good look over mine and I am more than happy. I think I liked the material they used for the seats in the base CL9 better than this CU2. The CU2 has like a suede effect. The quality of the material is awesome though. It is hard to get a photo of it though, something you have to see in person.

The CU2 hides its weight well, after all, it is just like 1 or 2 passengers in your CL9. Shorter gearing and more torque help.

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 09:00 AM
damn extra 100kg heavier than CL9

tron07
30-06-2008, 10:05 AM
The 100kg and bigger tires is going to hurt the acceleraction... but its still looks very good

Type R Positive
30-06-2008, 10:32 AM
The 100kg and bigger tires is going to hurt the acceleraction... but its still looks very good
All Yanky reports say that it's still faster than CL9.....

aaronng
30-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Look at the dyno comparing the CU2 with the 210hp 06 TSX. Big gains everywhere below 6000rpm.

Suntzu
30-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Link to such dyno?

Type R Positive
30-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Look at the dyno comparing the CU2 with the 210hp 06 TSX. Big gains everywhere below 6000rpm.

Link to such dyno?
I couldn't find either.
BUT.... I have seen one before on youtube. I just can't find it.

aaronng
30-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Here is the link. There are dyno charts and a vid.
http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=755732

Type R Positive
30-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Here is the link. There are dyno charts and a vid.
http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=755732
Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou
thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou :p

aaronng
30-06-2008, 11:40 AM
For people who are lazy to click, see how much of an improvement the CU2 engine is over the 06 TSX. And the 06 TSX is the 152kW (SAE), 157kW (estimated) engine with the larger valve ports, throttle body, high flow cat, high flow exhaust. Not the weak 140kW AUDM engine.
http://sohc.vtec.net/article_files/755732/09vs06TSX_6MT.gif

BiLL|z0r
30-06-2008, 11:50 AM
It would seem the new Euro vtec kicks in at 5000rpm but not as aggresive.

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 11:53 AM

more linear power.

aaronng
30-06-2008, 11:54 AM

When advanced vtec is introduced, there won't be any kick at all.

aaronng
30-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Type R Positive, could you take a close up pic of the sensor in the right side of this pic? It's the sensor next to the airbox. I want to see if that is the intake temperature sensor or an AFM.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/Engine-Bay.jpg

rusty
30-06-2008, 11:58 AM
For people who are lazy to click, see how much of an improvement the CU2 engine is over the 06 TSX. And the 06 TSX is the 152kW (SAE), 157kW (estimated) engine with the larger valve ports, throttle body, high flow cat, high flow exhaust. Not the weak 140kW AUDM engine.
http://sohc.vtec.net/article_files/755732/09vs06TSX_6MT.gif

why is the power in Horse Power? not KW. Is it just typo error?

aaronng
30-06-2008, 12:03 PM
why is the power in Horse Power? not KW. Is it just typo error?

American dyno. It is in HP. You cannot compare this dyno to our local dynos. But you can sort of compare the 09 to the 06 since they were run on the same dyno (but different days)

unity
30-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Type R +ve, please dont forget to post some shots of the different displays for the trip computer functions. Thx.

Hi centurionau, I have some pics from my trip computer for euro CL9. Sorry they a a little bit fuzzy

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi centurionau, I have some pics from my trip computer for euro CL9. Sorry they a a little bit fuzzy

i think he meant for his CU2

unity
30-06-2008, 03:15 PM

I would not think there would be too much difference between the two. Atleast it gives him an idea.

centurionau
30-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Thx very much for those pics Unity. It will be interesting to see if they are the same for the CU2

tron07
30-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Good improvements..... better torque thru the range....

LXRY
30-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Type R Positive.....CONGRATS on your purchase, nice review on your first impressions, would be great of you to give another review at the 5,000 and 10,000klm mark...

I heard a rattle near the instrument cluster area and not too mention the front passenger seat belt still hitting the side, shame...

I got looks once. December 27, 1984 when I drove a brand spanking new silver Ferrari 308GTSi QV into town at night. After that, never again.

LOL, I would of looked aswell......;)

Very true.......smaller than CL9

lol
Its a totally new base i'd assume, they didnt just move the engine bay back

Totally new, don't think so, just slightly modified i.e wider track (this helps bad tramlining previous models suffered)

Motor looks like it might be slightly further back than CL9, not 100% sure though

Great review!

Power is actually pretty good (a compliment considering my last car was a 6litre v8) - the car moves along very nicely indeed. I can see how some people would say the new model is faster because it revs so much more freely and the accelerator is more responsive to input. HOWEVER - looking at the speedo carefully I am not convinced it accelerates faster. Very similar to the old model actually - maybe slower. The short gear ratios confused my sense of pace. It is probably like the new Civic type R - people test drive one and think it is a rocket because it revs so easily - but put it against the clock and it is 0-100 in 7.5 seconds.

Overall Honda is on to a real winner here. Value for money is outstanding and I really enjoyed how the new model drives. The manual is a real drivers car. If it had 30kw more power it would be outstanding. Notwithstanding that, would I consider buying one? Hell yeah, this is a great car.

I drove the AUTO today big disappointment compared to CL9, less power....I have to try the manual.

When advanced vtec is introduced, there won't be any kick at all.

Can't feel it at the moment anyways.....

My thoughts taken from another thread :

Stick to the old model......drove one today (lxry model), same car if you ask me, just with a few changes.....some good points some bad.

Different lines (bodywise) me personally don't like it, prefer old design
civic dash (Yuk)
steering wheel too small
buttons are too small and spread out more not as easy to find and press as previous model(s)
someone made a mistake with the volume control and the tuning control (should be the other way around)
space saver in the lxry model (this to me is a cost saver as it is 18inch)
boot looks smaller
extra speaker in the middle of the parcel shelf hinders drivers view (not necassary)
has 10 speakers but sounds no different than the cl9 stereo
reverse sensors dont pick up gutters, good as a guide (too high on the bumper)
front passenger seat belt still knocks as you are driving lol
same heated seats
same sunroof
front seats feel flimsy around the shoulder area not the same as cl9.
front doors are not as heavy so gone are the days people slamming your doors, but bad if you get hit by a car :)
limited road view due to newer dash.....seat has too be adjusted higher than previous models
same rv mirror as previous lxry model
gears the same when you change gears (no difference)
softer leather, as for quality not sure if it's the same as the previous models, previous models have good quality leather
cruise control the same
feels slower but claiming more power, I'de have to question this ?

a few good points...
when reversing front passenger side mirrors dips low
memory seating for driver(s)
steering improved not as sensative due to wider track
paddle's for sports mode on steering wheel
Has strut brace.
hid washers dont spray on the bonnet anymore (they heard you Aaronng ;))
Reverse camera
Ipod adaptor
heated door mirrors
front sensors
not sure of any other good points

My opinion stick to old model, especially if you have 2006 and up models

Type R Positive
30-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Type R Positive, could you take a close up pic of the sensor in the right side of this pic? It's the sensor next to the airbox. I want to see if that is the intake temperature sensor or an AFM.
OK, will do.

SPQR
30-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Totally new, don't think so, just slightly modified i.e wider track (this helps bad tramlining previous models suffered)

Yes! At last someone other than me acknowledging the bad tramlining! Thanks.

The CU2 is also helped in reducing tramlining by its large diameter tyres; particularly the Luxury model's 235/45R18 tyres which have a greater diameter than the Standard model's 225/50R17 tyres. The contact patch of a wide tyre tends to be broader than it is long but this effect is reduced by increasing the diameter of the tyre. The surface of a broad tyre is more likely to be deflected sideways when it encounters a bit of road with a varying coefficient of friction which happens when there is a ridge on the road or when the tyre partially hits a painted line on the road or when coming off the road onto a gravel/dirt verge. A tire of larger diameter tends to have a longer contact patch and is inherently less likely to be deflected sideways.

Straight sidewall tyres have a wider contact patch than rounded sidewall tyres of the same size.

Reducing tyre pressure can help to reduce tramlining because it elongates the tyre's contact patch.

Type R Positive
30-06-2008, 11:17 PM

I would not think there would be too much difference between the two. Atleast it gives him an idea.
Actually looks very similar.

aaronng
01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Reducing tyre pressure can help to reduce tramlining because it elongates the tyre's contact patch.
I believe that tramlining is because of the suspension setup. Not enough castor and almost zero toe at the front makes the car follow any groove on the road.

LXRY
01-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I believe that tramlining is because of the suspension setup. Not enough castor and almost zero toe at the front makes the car follow any groove on the road.

Agreed........Would wider track help for tramiling issue aswell aaronng ?

SPQR
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM

My car doesn't tramline with 205/55R16 tyres on the stock 55mm offset 16" rims but it does with the 225/45R17 tyres on the ten spoke 17" Honda Luxury rims that also have 55mm offset.

I had previously argued that there must be a difference in the suspension geometry of the CL9 Luxury model with 17" rims compared to the CL9 Standard with the 16" rims. Both have the same rim offset but Honda dealers aren't supposed to sell the 17" wheels to people with the Standard model. The difference might be more positive castor as toe is the same. But is it so?

What's causing the problem on my car when I swap between the 205/55R16 tyres and 16" rims and the 225/45R17 and 17" rims? The offset is the same. I have not changed the castor or the toe or any of the other suspension geometries when I do the swap. The tyre diameters are virtually the same but the only difference is essentially the tyre width and therefore the width of the contact patch.

I remember studying coefficients of friction in my 1st year uni physics lectures (that was very hard considering how long ago it was). Having given it some (more) thought, I have concluded that a tyre with a contact patch where the width is near or more than the length of the contact patch is more likely to tramline.

Imagine the side of a wide tyre encountering a grippier surface: The tyre would suddenly engage the higher grip surface on that side and turn the wheel towards that side. As the contact patch is shorter than the width, the "front" of the tyre tread contact patch has less influence on what the rest of the tyre is doing and so allows the tyre to deflect sideways.

What happens when a tyre that has a longer contact patch than it is wide encounters the same higher grip surface on one side? Well, in my opinion, because the area of the contact patch further forward of the lateral centreline is greater than the area of the tyre to side of the centreline of the tyre, the tyre is more likely to just keep tracking straight.

Analogous to this is the polar moment of a car. A car with a higher polar moment (long wheelbase) resists turn-in more than a car with a low polar moment (short wheelbase). Sports cars tend to have short wheelbases so that they can turn-in sharper. GT (Gran Turismo) cars tend to have a longer wheelbase to aid high speed stability (resist turn-in). In this analogy, the long wheelbase car is like the larger diameter tyre with a longer contact patch. The tyre is better able to resist being deflected sideways.

I believe that Honda has countered the tramlining effect on the CU2 by dramatically increasing the diameter of the tyres to elongate the contact patch. The 18" tyre is of even larger diameter than the 17" tyre fitted to the CU2 Standard.

SPQR
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Read the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia entry under "Contact Patch" found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_patch

aaronng
01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
My car doesn't tramline with 205/55R16 tyres on the stock 55mm offset 16" rims but it does with the 225/45R17 tyres on the ten spoke 17" Honda Luxury rims that also have 55mm offset.
What tyres did you have on the 16" and 17" rims?

aaronng
01-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Agreed........Would wider track help for tramiling issue aswell aaronng ?

It could help, but I think that suspension setup has a larger effect than the wider track.

MKI4EVA
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
depends which tram tracks your travelling on as well.

aaronng
02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
depends which tram tracks you travelling on as well.
With sydney roads, who needs tram tracks! You don't even need speedbumps!

Suntzu
02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
My tramlining was 100% fixed when i got tein SS and 1 degree toe out with the camber kit fitted and all set up right.

its TOTALLY stable and tracks well now. Especially at speed.

id be disappointed if the new CU2 does this. It should be fixed.

Type R Positive
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Id be disappointed if the new CU2 does this. It should be fixed.It is fixed. The suspension is so awesome on this car! Unbelievable!

SPQR
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
What tyres did you have on the 16" and 17" rims?

With the 16" rims, I had the standard Dunlop 2050M on the car. With the 17" rims I had the Bridgestone RE040 and then Dunlop Sport MAXX. Both the RE040 and the Sport MAXX tramline equally as bad. Of course suspension geometry plays a part but my point is that just by swapping the 16" tyres with the 17" tyres without any suspension geometry change was enough to cause tramlining. The only real difference was the width of the tyres and therefore the contact patch width. I suspect that the 03-04 Euro's suspension was setup for the 205/55R16 tyre. Putting the wider 225/45R17 tyres on upsets the balance as the suspension had not been calibrated (increased castor) for the increased contact patch width.

When you deflate a tyre, tramlining is reduced because the contact patch is elongated.

I believe that Honda have fixed this on the CU2 by providing tyres of greater diameter to compensate for the width and so provide a more elongated contact patch.

SPQR
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
It is fixed. The suspension is so awesome on this car! Unbelievable!

I agree. The CU2 has much better setup than CL9.

aaronng
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
With the 16" rims, I had the standard Dunlop 2050M on the car. With the 17" rims I had the Bridgestone RE040 and then Dunlop Sport MAXX. Both the RE040 and the Sport MAXX tramline equally as bad. Of course suspension geometry plays a part but my point is that just by swapping the 16" tyres with the 17" tyres without any suspension geometry change was enough to cause tramlining. The only real difference was the width of the tyres and therefore the contact patch width. I suspect that the 03-04 Euro's suspension was setup for the 205/55R16 tyre. Putting the wider 225/45R17 tyres on upsets the balance as the suspension had not been calibrated (increased castor) for the increased contact patch width.

When you deflate a tyre, tramlining is reduced because the contact patch is elongated.

I believe that Honda have fixed this on the CU2 by providing tyres of greater diameter to compensate for the width and so provide a more elongated contact patch.

It would be interesting to see someone put RE040 in 205/55 R16 om their base Euro to see if they get tramlining like the 17"

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Here are the CU2 trip computer pics.
Pretty much the same as CL9.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/blank.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/rear-seat-belts.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/trip-time.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/fuel-left.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/fuel-ave.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/fuel.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/door-open.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/ave-speed.jpg

aaronng
03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Here are the CU2 trip computer pics.
Pretty much the same as CL9.

Got a pic of that sensor next to the airbox yet? :p

tron07
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/rear-seat-belts.jpg

they finally got this now.....

Psy
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
^^ does that tell you if passengers in the back aren't wearing their seatbelts?

If so, that's awesome!

tron07
03-07-2008, 10:03 AM
mazda 3 already does that

centurionau
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Thx very much for those trip computer pics Type R+ve. Much appreciated.

centurionau
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Does it also come with tripA and tripB distances?

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Got a pic of that sensor next to the airbox yet? :pYep. I haven't pulled it out though. Is that what you want (big boy, hehehe)?

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Does it also come with tripA and tripB distances?Yes. :thumbsup:
That trip time is a good feature. I never seen that before. I had '04 CL9.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 03:52 PM
^^ does that tell you if passengers in the back aren't wearing their seatbelts?

If so, that's awesome!
Yes. :thumbsup:

twing
03-07-2008, 04:08 PM
How about the shift indicator light?
Honda claims if it's followed, it saves 5% of petrol.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/4080211all-new-Accord-for-Europe

Manual models feature a ‘Shift Indicator Light’ or SIL which appears in the center of the rev counter. ‘UP’ or ‘DOWN’ are displayed to advise the driver of the optimum point (in terms of best fuel economy) at which to change gear; Honda tests have demonstrated fuel savings of as much as 5 per cent simply by following these commands.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
How about the shift indicator light?
Honda claims if it's followed, it saves 5% of petrol.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/4080211all-new-Accord-for-Europe
I haven't found it.... must read manual.
I hope there is something, but don't think so.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
For aaronng:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/intake-sensor.jpg

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
A better pic of the head / 1st cat:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/first-cat.jpg

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Reading this manual, there is a speeding alarm you can set.
Did the CL9 have this?

tony1234
03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Did the CL9 have this?
No.Good feature.:thumbsup:

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 05:12 PM
No shift light....
Manual has 'recommended shift points' for fuel economy under normal acceleration.

Shift up:
1st - 2nd: 27km/h
2nd - 3rd: 46km/h
3rd - 4th: 59km/h
4th - 5th: 69km/h
5th - 6th: 79km/h

No shift down sorry.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
From the manual:

Maximum allowable speeds in each gear (otherwise enter 'red' zone):
1st: 56 km/h
2nd: 97 km/h
3rd: 135 km/h
4th: 179 km/h
5th: 221 km/h
6th: They dont have a 6th either!

aaronng
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
From the manual:

Maximum allowable speeds in each gear (otherwise enter 'red' zone):
1st: 56 km/h
2nd: 97 km/h
3rd: 135 km/h
4th: 179 km/h
5th: 221 km/h
6th: They dont have a 6th either!

Looks almost the same as the CL9. I thought the ppl who test drove the CU2 said that the gear ratios were shorter? :confused::confused::confused:

aaronng
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
For aaronng:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/NT450/My%20CU2%20Accord%20Euro/intake-sensor.jpg

Not liking the chances.... That looks like an AFM. Is there an intake air temperature sensor on the intake arm like the CL9?

tony1234
03-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Looks almost the same as the CL9. I thought the ppl who test drove the CU2 said that the gear ratios were shorter? :confused::confused::confused:
When you drive it they appear to be shorter.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 06:30 PM
A few are. 2nd - 3rd - 4th - and 5th I think.
I will try and find ratio comparison for ya.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Not liking the chances.... That looks like an AFM. Is there an intake air temperature sensor on the intake arm like the CL9?
Intake arm? Anyway, I think so.

aaronng
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
A few are. 2nd - 3rd - 4th - and 5th I think.
I will try and find ratio comparison for ya.

2nd on the CL9 also goes to 97km/h at redline. Hmm, wonder if they updated the manual. Also, eventhough the ratios are shorter, they are slightly offset by the larger tyre rolling diameter.

UNLS1
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
driving the Cu2 is so much better than driving the CL9. this is standard model in manual to standard in manual.

ive had both as demos and the Cu2 is better in every way possible from drive to features. its been ages since ive enjoyed driving a new honda so much.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
2nd on the CL9 also goes to 97km/h at redline. Hmm, wonder if they updated the manual. Also, eventhough the ratios are shorter, they are slightly offset by the larger tyre rolling diameter.
Rolling diameter difference isn't that much, but yes, it would make a difference.

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Did the CL9 have this?

Hi Type R
The CL9 also shows that you can set a "speed alert" in the manual and I tried to set it up one day but alas as is problem with having a "Manual for the world" it isnt included in the good old Oz version of the car.
(privately still fuming about the tack on bluetooth for the new Euro.. integrated to me means more than auto muting the stereo when the phone rings... looks like I transfer my Blue Ant (with manual left hand operated stereo mute) to the new Euro when I get it lol)

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Type R Positive;1788501]No shift light....

Looks like another 'expensive' module that was ommitted for Oz.... Leds, circuits and relays are just so expensive these days lol

SPQR
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM

The gear ratios might be shorter (I haven't checked the details). But factoring in the substantially larger diameter tyres would affect the overall gearing as aaronng said.

225/45R17 CL9 Luxury
Diameter = 634.23 mm
Circumference = 1992.3 mm
Revs per km = 517

225/50R17 CU2 Standard
Diameter = 656.59 mm
Circumference = 2062.7 mm
Revs per km = 500

235/45R18 CU2 Luxury
Diameter = 668.52 mm
Circumference = 2100.0 mm
Revs per km = 491

There is quite an effect from the tyres. There is a big difference between the Standard and Luxury CU2 as well.

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi TYpe R I am hoping to get my car in the next month or two.. all sounds great cant wait. Just looking at the audio part of your review so does the display show you the song titles on CD"s that you are playing? Also hve you tried the audio input jack ??

And re the shift 'prompt' feature in the manual car version. The little spot lower bottom left in the Tacho is that a light?? or just blanked off?? just wondered if this actually comes on when shift rev is optimum or something??

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Type R
The CL9 also shows that you can set a "speed alert" in the manual and I tried to set it up one day but alas as is problem with having a "Manual for the world" it isnt included in the good old Oz version of the car.
(privately still fuming about the tack on bluetooth for the new Euro.. integrated to me means more than auto muting the stereo when the phone rings... looks like I transfer my Blue Ant (with manual left hand operated stereo mute) to the new Euro when I get it lol)

Looks like another 'expensive' module that was ommitted for Oz.... Leds, circuits and relays are just so expensive these days lol
I can't complain. I don't use the bluetooth in my Prado, it gives me the shits. You can't make a call when moving, only recieve one. Pointless.

I might try setting the speed alert. Would be interesting to see if we actually got it.

I would have thought features would have been the same as everywhere else. I like TSX spec, but man, that would be expensive here.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
The gear ratios might be shorter (I haven't checked the details). But factoring in the substantially larger diameter tyres would affect the overall gearing as aaronng said.
7cm extra tread substantial? I suppose it is.

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I might try setting the speed alert. Would be interesting to see if we actually got it..

Kewl would be nice but thought Honda might be crowing about another feature if it was there.

I would have thought features would have been the same as everywhere else. I like TSX spec, but man, that would be expensive here.

Yeah all those bells and whistles would be nice, I suppose I just wish that we had the option if we WANTED to pay for them to have them as a factory option.. ah well dream on, all about car sales numbers potential market and bean counting lol

I will still buy the car in spite of a few niggles re features I was hoping for. I like the toys ok!! I will just continue to look disinterested when my mate in his lexus answers his phone on bluetooth, calling number display, muted audio.. gee who wants THAT... hehe and he payed 20 grand more for his car...

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi TYpe R I am hoping to get my car in the next month or two.. all sounds great cant wait. Just looking at the audio part of your review so does the display show you the song titles on CD"s that you are playing? Also hve you tried the audio input jack ??

And re the shift 'prompt' feature in the manual car version. The little spot lower bottom left in the Tacho is that a light?? or just blanked off?? just wondered if this actually comes on when shift rev is optimum or something??
Nah, we miss out on the 'shift light'. That little spot is some alarm thingy.

I haven't seen song titles yet, as I have been using my ipod with the aux jack. Great feature combined with the power outlet! :thumbsup:
The CD has to be compatible for song titles, the 2 CD's I have in the car are not.

I actually haven't driven my car that much. I have just come off nightshift at work yesterday morning.

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen song titles yet, as I have been using my ipod with the aux jack. Great feature combined with the power outlet! :thumbsup:

So do you control the iPod track selection etc on the iPod and feed the audio into the speakers..by selecting Aux on the car audio?

I actually haven't driven my car that much. I have just come off nightshift at work yesterday morning.

Hmm I would be happy to run it in for you while you are at work lol

Have fun and sorry for all the questions atm..

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I will still buy the car in spite of a few niggles re features I was hoping for. I like the toys ok!! I will just continue to look disinterested when my mate in his lexus answers his phone on bluetooth, calling number display, muted audio.. gee who wants THAT... hehe and he payed 20 grand more for his car... Yeah, im happy with mine mate. It's WAY better than my old CL9. I got the base (just my run around car), and I still can't believe that this car is so cheap! I got a VX Prado TD for long distance luxury. Im also buying another house, so I didn't want to spend too much.

I would love a Lexus, like IS250X, but for $65k? Come on!

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
So do you control the iPod track selection etc on the iPod and feed the audio into the speakers..by selecting Aux on the car audio? Yes. The Aux is just headphone jack. Not USB like TSX lol!

Hmm I would be happy to run it in for you while you are at work lol

Have fun and sorry for all the questions atm..
I'm actually suprised at the comments Im getting at work though. People have seen it in my driveway, and have hit me up about it. They all like the look of it!

Keep the Q's coming mate. I know it's hard to tell what a car is like in a 5 min test drive.... let alone the potential of this CU2.

VTECJimStar
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I would love a Lexus, like IS250X, but for $65k? Come on!

Yeah the Lexus has more bells and whistles and the look at me thing.. I have a Lexus, but I would NOT pay $20 to $25 grand just for those few things.

I will be getting the Auto Lux version again, with the traffic in Brisbane these days, I will trade off the extra buzz of the manual for sanity when driving round town traffic all day. And the paddle shift should be good just a few sec slower off the mark.. well goes with my grey hair :-))

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah the Lexus has more bells and whistles and the look at me thing.. I have a Lexus, but I would NOT pay $20 to $25 grand just for those few things.

I will be getting the Auto Lux version again, with the traffic in Brisbane these days, I will trade off the extra buzz of the manual for sanity when driving round town traffic all day. And the paddle shift should be good just a few sec slower off the mark.. well goes with my grey hair :-))
To be totally honest, I really liked the Auto. The paddle shifters are really well done. The shift was precise and generally felt great. I think I would have got auto if it was the same price, but it's $2k extra. If I lived in the city, I would have gone the auto. :thumbsup:

Auto's have grown on me for sure. My VX Prado is auto (had no choice) and it is the sweetest thing in the world. I would have got a manual if they made one for VX and Grande, then, but definately not now.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Gear ratios: CU2 (CL9)
1st: 3.27 (3.27)
2nd: 2.04 (1.88)
3rd: 1.43 (1.36)
4th: 1.07 (1.03)
5th: 0.87 (0.83)
6th: 0.69 (0.66)
Rev: 3.58 (3.58)
Final: 4.76 (4.76)

yfin
04-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Nah that isn't correct. The CL9 definately had a long 4.4 final drive. Only the Acura TSX had 4.76.

If your data of 4.76 on the CU2 is correct -that explains how it partly overcomes the weight increase as the acceleration is similar to the CL9. Is your data for both vehicles from the Acura TSX?

tony1234
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Nah that isn't correct. The CL9 definately had a long 4.4 final drive. Only the Acura TSX had 4.76.

If your data of 4.76 on the CU2 is correct -that explains how it partly overcomes the weight increase as the acceleration is similar to the CL9. Is your data for both vehicles from the Acura TSX?
Maybe they only changed the final drive ratio on the CU2 and left the gears the same??

yfin
04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Maybe they only changed the final drive ratio on the CU2 and left the gears the same??

Quite possibly yes - a 4.7 final drive would noticeably help acceleration and go much of the way to offset the weight increase with the CU2.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 03:12 PM

These are from TSX off the internet.

I'll try and find Euro. I would have thought they would be the same???

aaronng
04-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Ratios: CL9/CU2
1st: 3.533/3.27
2nd: 1.880/2.04
3rd: 1.354/1.43
4th: 1.027/1.07
5th: 0.825/0.87
6th: 0.659/0.69
Rev: 3.583/3.58
Final: 4.388/4.76

CU2 is significantly shorter than CL9. Manual's top speed in 2nd gear onwards has errors.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Manual's top speed in 2nd gear onwards has errors.
For CU2? I think it's right.

What Honda manual states and what I got were pretty much the same, except 2nd (85km/h@~7krpm vs 97km/h@???) which I will retest for ya.

Honda manual did not state top speed. It stated maximum recommended speed before entering red zone.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I just retested it, 2nd gear = 95-100km/h@7k rpm.
It can go faster in 2nd.....

VT3C
04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
top-speed per gear has absolutely no indication of how quick a car is.. infact in my opinion, it's the opposite. a higher top-speed per gear would indicate taller ratios.. this would actually sacrifice acceleration for a higher speed.

The ratios on the new 6-speed are definately CLOSER matched than CL9. wether they've shortend and closed the ratios or simply shortened the final drive, the effect is the same - much snappier !!

I took a Std. Manual home the other night and it was very very impressive.

the mid-range torque is so much stronger than the CL9 and it actually throws you back in the seat when u floor-it in even 3rd and 4th gears !!

there is a definate change in the audible tone at 5,000RPM (or just after) when VTEC engages and while there's less of a 'kick' than the CL9, this is probably due to the gains in mid-range masking the changeover point... like the B16A has a strong VTEC 'kick' but the B18C-R isnt quite as violent at changeover due to the extra torque before the switch point.

But overall this new model is a substantial evolution from the previous model and when you consider the price has dropped $1,000 across the lineup and we have more car with more features - it's definately a good move.

As Aaronng said (i think) that this is the first time in a while he'd felt excited behind the wheel of a new model - i'd have to agree. the FN2 was great but you kind of expect that from that kind of vehicle.. the ACCORD was a huge improvement over the older model also but is also of the standard you'd expect - where this new Euro is even beter than I expected and a significant improvement over the CL9 - which in it's own right is still an exceptionally good car.

EuroBro
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Any 0-100kms/hr figures?

Does it beat the CL9 MT6 of 7.8 seconds?

I've read that the auto only does 9.5 - how crap is that? No wonder honda doesn't publish performance figures. LOL

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Any 0-100kms/hr figures?

Does it beat the CL9 MT6 of 7.8 seconds?

I've read that the auto only does 9.5 - how crap is that? No wonder honda doesn't publish performance figures. LOL
The times are only what's available off the net.

Where did you read auto only 9.5?

Figures show that the CU2 manual is quicker.
But That's if you can trust the internet! ;)

EuroBro
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
The times are only what's available off the net.

Where did you read auto only 9.5?

Figures show that the CU2 manual is quicker.
But That's if you can trust the internet! ;)

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=754035

..it also has 2.2 diesel @ 9.6 seconds.

The CL9 is also 9.5 - see here http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_1967/title_Honda-Accord-Euro-Luxury/article.html

Euro76
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I just retested it, 2nd gear = 95-100km/h@7k rpm.
It can go faster in 2nd.....

That's why I was wondering why you only got up to 85km/h on 2nd gear? Should be at faster speed.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=754035

..it also has 2.2 diesel @ 9.6 seconds.

The CL9 is also 9.5 - see here http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_1967/title_Honda-Accord-Euro-Luxury/article.html
That top one is a good read. It has the manual sedan at 7.8 0-100.
As I said before, every review had a different time.

That diesel is auto only too.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
That's why I was wondering why you only got up to 85km/h on 2nd gear? Should be at faster speed.
It was hard to remember 5 gears worth of speeds. :p

SPQR
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
OK, based on the gear ratios given by aaronng and the tyres sizes, I have calculated the following speeds:

Manual CU2 Standard with 225/50R17 tyres.
Gear - km/h per 1000rpm - theoretical speed at 7000rpm
1st - 8.0 - 55.7
2nd - 12.7 - 89.2
3rd - 18.2 - 127.3
4th - 24.3 - 170.1
5th - 29.9 - 209.2
6th - 37.7 - 263.8 (you wish)

Manual CU2 Luxury with 235/45R18 tyres.
1st - 8.1 - 56.7
2nd - 13.0 - 90.8
3rd - 18.5 - 129.6
4th - 24.7 - 173.2
5th - 30.4 - 213.0
6th - 38.4 - 268.5 (yeah right)

Manual CL9 Standard with 205/55R16 tyres.
1st - 7.7* - 53.8*
2nd - 14.4 - 101.0
3rd - 20.0 - 140.3
4th - 26.4 - 185.0
5th - 32.9 - 230.2
6th - 41.3 - 288.2 (Ha!)

Manual CL9 Luxury with 225/45R17 tyres.
1st - 7.7* - 54.0*
2nd - 14.5 - 101.4
3rd - 20.1 - 140.8
4th - 26.5 - 185.7
5th - 33.0 - 231.1
6th - 41.3 - 289.4 (Ha!)

* caused by rounding to first decimal place.

Anyone got the auto gear ratios and final drive ratio?

SPQR
04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
....this new Euro is even better than I expected and a significant improvement over the CL9 - which in it's own right is still an exceptionally good car.

I think I previously posted that, after having driven the new CU2, I came away thinking that the CL9 is still good and that Honda could quite easily have released both as concurrent models and they would have sold well side by side; each in their own right.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I think I previously posted that, after having driven the new CU2, I came away thinking that the CL9 is still good and that Honda could quite easily have released both as concurrent models and they would have sold well side by side; each in their own right.
CL9 is dated. And the sales figures reflect that. The new model couldn't have come at a better time, considering fuel prices and all.

Will also have a look for the auto ratio's too.

SPQR
04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
CL9 is dated. And the sales figures reflect that. The new model couldn't have come at a better time, considering fuel prices and all.

What I said was that if both cars had been released as new models at the same time, they would probably have sold equally as well. Obviously they are not and so what you say is true of the actual situation but not, in my opinion, of my supposition.

I was in fact agreeing with the last sentence of VT3C's post that I had quoted.

I am happy to do the calculations for the auto gearing as well as soon as someone can post both the CU2 and CL9 gear ratios and final drive ratios.

con·cur·rent
Function: adjective

1 : occurring, arising, or operating at the same time often in relationship, conjunction, association, or cooperation.
2 : occurring or existing simultaneously or side by side.
3 : Happening at the same time as something else.

sup-po-si-tion
Function: noun

1 : the act of supposing.
2 : something that is supposed; assumption; hypothesis.
3 : a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence.

unity
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Did the CL9 have this?

CL9 does have this actually. It has two speed alarms. Can also make trip A reset each time you refuel. And a couple of other things too.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 11:24 PM
CL9 does have this actually. It has two speed alarms. Can also make trip A reset each time you refuel. And a couple of other things too. Sweet. My CL9 didn't have any of this stuff ('04 base).

unity
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I have not set the speed alarm yet. They are a great feature but can be annoying if they constantly go off. I suppose the onboard gps units also can be set for this purpose too

unity
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey Type R Positive, could you please tell me whether turning the A/C has any affect on ride quality and power?

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
That's where I love cruise control. Set and forget.
Speed alarm would be great in the city, such as Melbourne and Sydney.
(Where speed camera's are saving sooo many lives!)

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey Type R Positive, could you please tell me whether turning the A/C has any affect on ride quality and power?
Well, the ride quality improves (becauise I'm cooler! LOL!) :cool:

Seriously, can't really notice it. I've had the aircon on stuff all though, being winter down the bottom of Aust and all...

Will have a play around tomorrow on my 600km round trip to Albany and back.

unity
04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Cruise control is good but still not perfect. It's very easy for your speed to increase a few kms/hr when going downhill. The police only have a 2 or 3 kilometre tolerance when it comes to exceeding the speed limit here in Victoria

SPQR
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Speed cameras and speed limits are saving so many live in the NT that our road death toll has doubled in one year since they introduced urban speed cameras and speed limits on our once open road.

The emperor marched in the procession under the beautiful canopy, and all who saw him in the street and out of the windows exclaimed: “Indeed, the emperor’s new suit is incomparable! What a long train he has! How well it fits him!” Nobody wished to let others know he saw nothing, for then he would have been unfit for his office or too stupid. Never emperor’s clothes were more admired.

“But he has nothing on at all,” said a little child at last. “Good heavens! listen to the voice of an innocent child,” said the father, and one whispered to the other what the child had said. “But he has nothing on at all,” cried at last the whole people. That made a deep impression upon the emperor, for it seemed to him that they were right; but he thought to himself, “Now I must bear up to the end.” And the chamberlains walked with still greater dignity, as if they carried the train which did not exist.

Hans Christian Andersen

unity
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Cool, I think when I turn my A/C on it seems to make the car hold back a bit and also seems to be causing a small vibration within the cabin and through the pedals. Its hard to put into words but you can feel a difference.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise control is good but still not perfect. It's very easy for your speed to increase a few kms/hr when going downhill. The police only have a 2 or 3 kilometre tolerance when it comes to exceeding the speed limit here in Victoria
Damn! Radar's aren't even that accurate LOL.
I'm sure they would let you off, or not even flash you....

SPQR
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
The benefits espoused by governments of the efficacy of speed cameras reminds me of the sketch from Sesame Street:

Ernie is standing in the basement kitchen with a banana in his ear. Bert sees him and says "Why have you got a banana in your ear" and Ernie says "Because it keeps the elephants away". Bert says "There are no elephants here" to which Ernie says "See....It works!"

Speed cameras save lives? If the road toll goes down they do. If it goes up then us motorists are being extra naughty and so we need to be punished more. They work as a brilliant instrument of taxation.

Now, about carbon trading......

VTECJimStar
05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
CL9 does have this actually. It has two speed alarms. Can also make trip A reset each time you refuel. And a couple of other things too.

Sorry Unity but I cant find that setting on my car Multi Function menus?? 2006 Auto Lux Sat Nav ?

tony1234
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Sorry Unity but I cant find that setting on my car Multi Function menus?? 2006 Auto Lux Sat Nav ?
Because AUDM CL9 doesn't have it.

unity
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Sorry, I got it wrong. According to the manual there is one. There is however a sub menu that you can access and there are a few settings that you can change, but definitely no speed alarm. Have to rely on GPS for the speed alarm.

tony1234
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I got it wrong. According to the manual there is one. There is however a sub menu that you can access and there are a few settings that you can change, but definitely no speed alarm. Have to rely on GPS for the speed alarm.
Yep.us aussies are short changed again on the features that come on the US and European models.:thumbdwn:

unity
05-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Yep.us aussies are short changed again on the features that come on the US and European models.:thumbdwn:

So true. Same problem with buying electrical equipment. I pay way more for my Onkyo receiver but get fewer features. This is the problem because of our relative isolation and small population.

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
But their cars are the same price as IS250's, BMW's..... ;)

aaronng
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
But their cars are the same price as IS250's, BMW's..... ;)

The TSX is a similar price to the Euro, while our IS250 and BMWs are much more expensive here than in the US.

Type R Positive
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
The TSX is a similar price to the Euro, while our IS250 and BMWs are much more expensive here than in the US.
That is because they get their car way cheap.

An R35 GTR in USA is $69k. They want to flog it off in Aust for what, $150k?
An Evo X MR in USA costs $38k. They want to flog it off in Aust for what, $70k?
I'm sure I could play this game with all their cars...

There is no way I'd pay twice the price of a Euro, just to get TSX spec.
Otherwise I would get a BMW, IS250, etc... ;)

Euro08Jaz
18-07-2008, 11:27 PM
does the cu2 have a rear strut? how thick is it?

kimnkk
19-07-2008, 11:10 AM
:eek:. Haven't had much time to muck around with it yet but first impressions are that build quality has improved! I'll post some more comparative shots of it against the CL9.

VTECJimStar
19-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks noice.. will wait for your review.

aaronng
19-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Been driving around Sydney and I still haven't seen one on the road yet. :(

VTECJimStar
19-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Ditto here in BrizVegas

tony1234
19-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Me neither.Only at Honda dealer.

Type R Positive
19-07-2008, 06:22 PM
does the cu2 have a rear strut? how thick is it?
No. The strut supports are well intergrated into the strengthened shell structure. It is plenty stiff enough.

I am wondering how much better this car would be with beefed up sway bars?

Type R Positive
19-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I've only seen mine in Perth!!!
Im up here this weekend, and getting heaps of looks! :cool:

Psy
19-07-2008, 06:51 PM
i saw 3 in one day once. One parked at Haymarket (black one), white on Ps and silver one.

that was the only day i saw them.

aaronng
19-07-2008, 07:18 PM
No. The strut supports are well intergrated into the strengthened shell structure. It is plenty stiff enough.

I am wondering how much better this car would be with beefed up sway bars?

What is the current sway bar diameter?

tritty
19-07-2008, 09:15 PM

Saw a Volcano STD on the road last night on the way home from the footy.....

I am picking up my LUX 5AT in Milano Red on Monday night, can't wait :D