PDA

View Full Version : VSS help!!!

Webby_roller
26-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, I have read through most of the articles that came up with a VSS search, and are still confused to a problem i have.

I have an EF civic with a D15b motor converted. My delema is that I believe when the motor was put in the gearbox was from the original motor, the carby motor.

So the problem is how do I connect the VSS wire from the ECU as after an afternoon of searching I believe that it has a cable speedo. Is there a VSS in the cluster?

Cheers

CRXer
26-06-2008, 05:30 PM
im not too sure on this setup,but it seems like u might need to source a ED CRX cluster which has the VSS in the cluster,then u will be able to hook the speedo wire from the ECU up to it.

i dont think the carby civics have a VSS in the cluster.

Webby_roller
26-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeh, i have been told that just before. Is the ED CRX cluster a major job to fit in or is it a easy swap? Will this allow me to still have the cable running from the gearbox into the back of the cluster, and then just 'tap' into the VSS in the cluster?

CRXer
26-06-2008, 06:23 PM
im not too sure,but id say the crx cluster will be a simple swap.I have a DC2 cluster in my CRX & that wasnt too difficult.

Yes,the ED CRX cluster is still cable driven,im also not sure whether the cable end fittings are the same to plug into the cluster,but i have a spare CRX speedo cable if that helps your solution,id say the gearbox cable drive end fittings will match up.

U will prob not have a wire in your cluster plugs for the VSS,this is another thing u might have to change,the cluster plugs.So take your cluster with u to see that the plugs match up,if not see if u can snip the plugs off the CRX with a little bit of wire hanging out of them,to wire onto your factory wiring.That way u will have the VSS wire as well to join onto.

If your original plugs fit just get a ring terminal & use the screw mounting point on the back of the cluster for the VSS terminal to wire it up.

CRXer
26-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Just found some pics that might help u,

This is my old CRX cluster,

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1085_1_1.jpg

This is the spare cable drive i have,see if your end fittings match,

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/26062008002_1_1.jpg

This is the CRX mounting points for the cluster, the blue plugs are DC2 items.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1424.jpg

Webby_roller
26-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Excellent, I will take out my cluster on Saturday and see how it looks. I will get into contact with you if i need the cable at all.

Cheers

Webby_roller
28-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Didn't get to take out my cluster today as i had to fix numerous codes without any happy endings (stupid backyard jobs!!!) anyhow, i did some research and have come up that the clusters are pretty much the same. I was just wondering if you have your old one lying around or know of one? I think i may have to change plugs, i think, not too sure (if anybody can clear this up for me)

Cheers

Webby_roller
29-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey, I got my new cluster. Some questions...

Firstly, in the red, is this the screw that I need to wire the 'tap' to to connect to the VSS?
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n455/Webby_roller/edit2.jpg

What is in the blue and what does the white wire coming from it (in yellow) connect to?
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n455/Webby_roller/edit1.jpg

I haven't taken out my old cluster to see what the difference is, and i was just wondering if anybody has done this before and can tell me where everything needs to connect to as I cant have my car off the road for very long.

Cheers

CRXer
29-07-2008, 01:43 PM
for the first pic,yes that is correct,that is the VSS tap to go to the ECU.

the second pic,my guess is it is an overspeed alarm,ie it beeps at you when u exceed a certain speed,so u wont need it.

Webby_roller
29-07-2008, 02:06 PM
EXCELLENT!!!... shall have it in asap...

Thanks for your help

Webby_roller
29-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Its in, but i don't quite know what is wrong with it. It runs normally but everytime I go to accelerate it just dies unless I take my foot off the accelerator.

It only happens when i am driving at a speed high enough for the speedo to move.

I went to try and diagnose the problem and disconnected the 'tap' i put on and it runs fine again.

Any ideas???

There is a wire connecting to that second spot but i didn't think it was connected and already had the tap on. Would that cause something like this to happen?

I will take of the cluster tomorrow after uni and take off the tap and connect it to the wire and see how it goes. But if anybody has any idea that would be awsome...

Cheers

ECU-MAN
30-07-2008, 08:46 AM
you need to get a Digital Multi Meter and test for 5v at that pin, as you rotate the vss input the 5v should alternate between 0v - 5v - 0v - 5v,

laso make sure you have got the right input at the ECU

Webby_roller
30-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey, I tested it with a multimeter, didnt do anything but move around a couple of mV. Tested it on hertz and nothin came up...

I pulled it apart and there was nothing that looked that much different from my old cluster, soooo, Im guessing i got jibbed and sold a non-VSS cluster!!!

I was thinking of just getting a electronic VSS from an EG, then get the cluster and hood from an EG and then try and fit it too the ED...

I belive that as the DC2 and the EG are similar in some respects it shouldnt be that hard to fix the cluster in... Any notes on this???

Cheers

Webby_roller
02-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Went to wreckers today and purchased a VSS out of a 92 EG... Came home to wire it up and put it in and it was just now way that it would fit.

Tried to do some good old backyard job but ended up breaking my old cluster...

So now i need to know what sort of VSS will fit the gearbox...

And if anybody has actually done a D15b into an ED can you please post how you got over the VSS issue!!!

Cheers