PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Civic FD (VTI &VTI-L) gear shifting

danjoy25
27-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I started down/up shifting my auto transmission on my FD Civic a few times and just want to know if Im pretty much destroying my tranny.

On full stop, like on traffic lights. I select 1st gear and run it til the revs are upto atleast 5K and quickly shift the tranny to 2nd and run it til it hits atleast 5K and same process with 3rd until I get to D. I also tried downshifting when Im slowing down. I know that petrol consumption will be high but sometimes I feel like a race car driver and enjoy hearing engine revs (music to my ears).

Hopefully Im not the only one doing this. :eek:

aaronng
27-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Don't do it. It is not good for the transmission. Just leave it in D, and use more accelerator. Same effect, the engine will rev to 5k (or more depending on how much throttle you use) and will shift after.

uwants
27-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Seriously if you like to enjoy hearing engine revs, why not get a manuel lol?
PS:Dragging the gears is not good for ur car, either manuel or automatic.

xqwzit
27-06-2008, 04:58 PM
lol or should have got the sport and play with the paddles.
fd1 is for economy, if you need power just floor it :)

danjoy25
27-06-2008, 05:10 PM
lol or should have got the sport and play with the paddles.

tell me about it:o

Its all good, I'll try to limit gear shifting to 3rd and D as I've notice you don't even have to press the knob to change gears, so should be ok.:thumbsup:

aaronng
27-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Leave it in D. If you were to max out 3, you'd be caught and lose your license straight away. :p

andyhui01
27-06-2008, 09:17 PM
tell me about it:o

Its all good, I'll try to limit gear shifting to 3rd and D as I've notice you don't even have to press the knob to change gears, so should be ok.:thumbsup:

thats fine.. I used to use it all the time when overtaking on A and B roads :P

musers
27-06-2008, 10:19 PM
im pretty sure if you check on the manual, it said it's okay to do that on automatic transmission.

im not really sure though if its gonna hurt the tranny

I started down/up shifting my auto transmission on my FD Civic a few times and just want to know if Im pretty much destroying my tranny.

On full stop, like on traffic lights. I select 1st gear and run it til the revs are upto atleast 5K and quickly shift the tranny to 2nd and run it til it hits atleast 5K and same process with 3rd until I get to D. I also tried downshifting when Im slowing down. I know that petrol consumption will be high but sometimes I feel like a race car driver and enjoy hearing engine revs (music to my ears).

Hopefully Im not the only one doing this. :eek:

JaCe
27-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I am under the impression that it shouldn't kill it if only shifting down to 3rd and back up to D. I also like the engine noise but it also holds the gear well too- although I've noticed the transmission is pretty good at holding gears if you're holding throttle at certain position.

In all honesty with a lot of experimenting previously, shifting 1 2 3 D doesn't really improve your acceleration from a traffic light- you're better off controlling throttle with the automatic. That is, lightly accelerate until you hit at least 20km/h then push it down gradually further. Flooring it from the start does nothing- if anything, it feels slower. Just my 2c.

... you could always brake launch it if you were really game.

clem
30-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Mate those aren't there for that reason... if you want to play around with gears get a manual car..

In an Auto 1 is for going up/down very steep hills, 2 is for moderate hills 3 is for when you are towing something or need to get the car down to lower gear to overtake... you're going to put alot more wear into ur tranny if u muck around with those gears like that... plus its even slower going from 1,2,3,D when u can go faster by simply slamming on D..