PDA

View Full Version : trouble engaging second?

power_of_dreams
29-06-2008, 04:37 PM
when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I sometimes find the tranny is stubborn and wont let me engage 2nd smoothly or at all. anybody else countered this problem? something to be worried about?

aaronng
29-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Are you pushing it into 2nd immediately after pressing the clutch? Or are you waiting 0.5 seconds after pressing the clutch down before trying to shift into 2nd?

power_of_dreams
29-06-2008, 10:14 PM
mmm, hard to recall as I don't know what I do instinctively. I'll try tommorow morning. You think I should be waiting a bit?

migoreng
29-06-2008, 11:14 PM
hmm
same as me?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90755

i still have the prob...
=/

power_of_dreams
30-06-2008, 12:03 AM
havent touched my tranny though

viper8548
30-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Are you pushing it into 2nd immediately after pressing the clutch? Or are you waiting 0.5 seconds after pressing the clutch down before trying to shift into 2nd?

Which one is the correct way? Will shifting straight away damage anything?

Power_of_dreams, are you rev matching when you down shift?

power_of_dreams
30-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Which one is the correct way? Will shifting straight away damage anything?

Power_of_dreams, are you rev matching when you down shift?

this is when im using engine braking mostly. happens when im coming to t-intersection as well, and I don't rev match. I would say I downshift to second @ around 35kph, but not exactly sure because as I said I don't really look out for these kind of things during driving. Speed too high maybe?

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 07:48 AM
not necessarily speed, but rev matching is a problem.

i've had the problem with shifting up from 1st - 2nd and it won't slot into 2nd due to me having 7000rpm on the dial, especially cause i've hit vtec already and it disengages and i have to wait a couple of seconds for revs to drop down.

aaronng
30-06-2008, 08:25 AM
mmm, hard to recall as I don't know what I do instinctively. I'll try tommorow morning. You think I should be waiting a bit?

If you are going 3rd to 2nd (downshifting), you should do it immediately. Otherwise the input shaft slows down and then you get a resistance going into 2nd as the synchro has to speed up again. Try shifting to 2nd immediately to see if it helps.
Of course, if you are upshifting, then you can wait a bit as the next gear up needs a slower spinning input shaft.

Pumped
30-06-2008, 08:38 AM
my 2nd gear is certainly alot tighter to get into then other gears, always has been, have to make sure your pulling it straight and firm

migoreng
30-06-2008, 12:41 PM
my 2nd gear is certainly alot tighter to get into then other gears, always has been, have to make sure your pulling it straight and firm

is that for all cars?
cause i drive my dad's 2006 manual toyota hiace and second gear is always easy to get into.
in my prelude half the time it will go in perfect. other times it seems there is something locking me from getting into second gear. if it is hard to get into second i usually push the gear stick in harder but i heard a soft crunch

also this is only when downshifting into second.
going from 1 to 2nd is perfect.

does fwd/rwd have anything to do with it?

my mechanic said there is nothing wrong with the linkages

will a trans fluid change smooth things out?

i will have to think about that 0.5 sec clutch in before second gear as well.
when i drive i don't think about it.
sometimes i like to heel toe for a corner, clutch in and jam it into second quickly and sometimes it just won't go in.
lol

viper8548
30-06-2008, 12:52 PM

I have the same problem going from 1st to 2nd, feels tight and requires some force to push it in, but after going in once if i put it to neutral and try 2nd again its smooth as butter.

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 01:02 PM
imo, correct me if i am wrong i think its the revs causing it to not shift properly.

and as aaron has said "Of course, if you are upshifting, then you can wait a bit as the next gear up needs a slower spinning input shaft."

aaronng
30-06-2008, 01:19 PM
If your cars are new, remember to let it wear in. A new gearbox might be more difficult to shift as well.

power_of_dreams
30-06-2008, 05:40 PM
hardly new, ~30k on the clock, just noticed it recently.

Today was alot smoother, only had problems engaging once or twice.

migoreng
30-06-2008, 05:53 PM
could it be the transmission fluid?

power_of_dreams
30-06-2008, 06:07 PM
isnt that a 100k job? admittedly gearbox has been crunched a couple of times though.

aaronng
30-06-2008, 08:55 PM
isnt that a 100k job? admittedly gearbox has been crunched a couple of times though.

I prefer to change mine every 2 years/40,000km.

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
still seems "locked out" on occasions, starting to piss me off. should I get it checked out at dealership?

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 08:52 PM
still seems "locked out" on occasions, starting to piss me off. should I get it checked out at dealership?
and you've changed your transsy fluid?

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
no, but I shouldn't have to. Still only on 30xxx kms

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
is this whilst your driving and are you revving it hard when it gets stuck?

aaronng
08-07-2008, 10:36 PM
You'll have to get someone to sit with you to observe or drive your car to see the difference between yours and their Euro.

EuroDude
08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Mine initially had trouble engaging from 1st to 2nd, but its ok now after the gearbox wore in.

When going from 3rd to 2nd, blit the throttle so the synchros dont have to work hard to rev match. The gear should go into 2nd easier.

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 11:28 PM
this is during normal driving, might have to change my technique to the suggested above.

how come I don't have such problems when 4 -> 3 though?

EuroDude
08-07-2008, 11:31 PM
^ Closer ratio's and less rev matching required I guess

power_of_dreams
08-07-2008, 11:34 PM
might shoot an email to honda see if maybe I can get a fluid change under warranty

aaronng
09-07-2008, 12:22 AM
When going from 3rd to 2nd, blit the throttle so the synchros dont have to work hard to rev match. The gear should go into 2nd easier.
If you are blipping when the clutch pedal is pressed down, then you are not helping the synchros.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 12:24 AM
hmm, I thought clutch in then bit of gas, then clutch out...

aaronng
09-07-2008, 12:56 AM
hmm, I thought clutch in then bit of gas, then clutch out...

That saves the clutch. If you want to save synchros, then clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip gas, clutch in, shift gear, blip gas, clutch out. Too troublesome. Just shift it fast.

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Ocassionally there is still trouble getting into second when I depress clutch and attempt to change gears straight after.

EuroDude
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
That saves the clutch. If you want to save synchros, then clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip gas, clutch in, shift gear, blip gas, clutch out. Too troublesome. Just shift it fast.

Sound like what Truck drivers need to do - double clutching

Avoid shifting too fast from 1st to 2nd, unless you like the smell of crunched gearbox fragments in the morning lol

power_of_dreams
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
this is only when 3 to 2

power_of_dreams
29-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Update:

Got the mtf change a couple of weeks ago at 33xxx kms. The problem is gone, sometimes there is some small resistance, but no total "blockage" like previously. Shifts and general driving are much smoother.

Suntzu
29-09-2008, 09:32 PM
no, but I shouldn't have to. Still only on 30xxx kms

Mine shift action was quite bad at 30 000km and 2.5 years.

Totally fixed it when I got honda to flush it.

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey guys,

Didn't want to start a new thread.
But i want to find out if you guys find it sometimes it locks up when trying to shift from neutral > 1st gear.

Cause i normally chuck the car in neutral when i get to the lights on my way home and lately it's been getting stuck every so often. Twice this week.

Is this a problem with the synchros or anything else i don't know off?
Can it be the need for MTF change?

Cheers guys.

viper8548
08-10-2008, 07:44 AM
On my car I cannot shift into first gear if my speed is above 20km/h, are you getting locked up while below 20km/h?

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 08:08 AM
no, i can get to 1st gear if you rev match.

it's stationary, as i said at the lights.

aaronng
08-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey guys,

Didn't want to start a new thread.
But i want to find out if you guys find it sometimes it locks up when trying to shift from neutral > 1st gear.

Cause i normally chuck the car in neutral when i get to the lights on my way home and lately it's been getting stuck every so often. Twice this week.

Is this a problem with the synchros or anything else i don't know off?
Can it be the need for MTF change?

Cheers guys.

You're just having bad luck lol. You seem to get tooth on tooth quite often. I get it about once a month. Do you put it into 1st as soon as you press the clutch down or do you wait a few seconds after the clutch is pressed in before you put it into 1st? Try going into 1st as soon as you clutch in. The spinning input shaft should reduce your chances of getting tooth on tooth. You might wear the synchros a little more, but 1st gear synchros very rarely gets worn anyway because you won't be shifting into 1st while you are moving (at least without doubleclutching anyway)

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
You're just having bad luck lol. You seem to get tooth on tooth quite often. I get it about once a month. Do you put it into 1st as soon as you press the clutch down or do you wait a few seconds after the clutch is pressed in before you put it into 1st? Try going into 1st as soon as you clutch in. The spinning input shaft should reduce your chances of getting tooth on tooth. You might wear the synchros a little more, but 1st gear synchros very rarely gets worn anyway because you won't be shifting into 1st while you are moving (at least without doubleclutching anyway)

Yeh sometimes i shift lightning fast into first and thats when i hit a brickwall! :mad:.
I'll give it a go and see if it makes much difference in shifting.

But yeh as i said initially i don't always get it but this week have come across it more often then usual.

Damn i should change my MTF as well but my car is too low to slide jack in and its a pain in the ass to jack the car up using the wheeljack first then hydraulic.
A bit off topic, you reckon it's worth getting ramps?

aaronng
08-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeh sometimes i shift lightning fast into first and thats when i hit a brickwall! :mad:.
I'll give it a go and see if it makes much difference in shifting.

But yeh as i said initially i don't always get it but this week have come across it more often then usual.

Damn i should change my MTF as well but my car is too low to slide jack in and its a pain in the ass to jack the car up using the wheeljack first then hydraulic.
A bit off topic, you reckon it's worth getting ramps?

No, your front bumper/lip will hit the ramp. My car is much higher than yours and it already hits the ramps. Plus I don't have a lip! Drive up on wood planks and then slide the jack underneath.

power_of_dreams
08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Isn't it not the best thing to shift into first while car is moving?

aaronng
08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Isn't it not the best thing to shift into first while car is moving?

Yup, not good. But you can do it without damage if you double clutch first.

EUR003act
08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Yup, not good. But you can do it without damage if you double clutch first.

double clutch FTW! :thumbsup:

as for trouble getting into second... its a very common problem with the 6sp gearbox to sometimes crunch/bounce when changing 1st to 2nd :(

mine sometimes does it... and no its not my fault... lol

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM

as for trouble getting into second... its a very common problem with the 6sp gearbox to sometimes crunch/bounce when changing 1st to 2nd :(

*cough cough BS cough cough*
yeh i found that too hard to shift into 2nd if your at the wrong rev range.

but for some reason my 1st gear got stuck twice while shifting from being stationary.

EUR003act
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
*cough cough BS cough cough*
yeh i found that too hard to shift into 2nd if your at the wrong rev range.

but for some reason my 1st gear got stuck twice while shifting from being stationary.

hahahaha again with the following! lmao! :thumbsup:

yeah if im thrashing the engine it never happens... its only when im driving normal lol suppose it gives me an excuse to VTEC! hahaha :honda: FTW

Crapdaz
08-10-2008, 08:24 PM
hahahaha again with the following! lmao! :thumbsup:

yeah if im thrashing the engine it never happens... its only when im driving normal lol suppose it gives me an excuse to VTEC! hahaha :honda: FTW
Yeh when i was driving through twisties at blue mountains.

Hit vtec around 5800rpm go up to around 6500 then shift to 2nd and revs drop a tad under 6.

The shifting was heaps smooth and easy. Not sluggish or getting caught at all.

power_of_dreams
08-10-2008, 09:17 PM

Only bounced on me once and that was after the mtf change. The crunch was :eek:

EUR003act
08-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Only bounced on me once and that was after the mtf change. The crunch was :eek:

i cried when mine happened.... seriously... i dont even wanna talk about it!

andrew270681
21-08-2009, 04:32 AM
I have an FN2R and i also have problems with crunching from 1st to 2nd at high RPM. All other gears are fine. Does anyone know the cause or a fix?

tony1234
21-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Change your MTF?

aaronng
21-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I have an FN2R and i also have problems with crunching from 1st to 2nd at high RPM. All other gears are fine. Does anyone know the cause or a fix?

Yours might be due to gearbox issues. Happens to k20 gearboxes.