PDA

View Full Version : Clicking when starting EG

dorikin
30-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Yesterday I noticed when trying to start the car the first time it clicked without cranking, second time turn the key it would start.

Today, tried to start and loud click again, tried to start again and click
Third time turn the key and started.

Car is EG Si

Is this a starter motor problem or battery? or something else

eg5civic
30-06-2008, 04:58 PM
hey i had the same problem th eother day was really weird and it hasn't happened again

Benson
30-06-2008, 05:10 PM
do you hear fuel pump?

Its either the battery, starter motor or main relay..

trism
30-06-2008, 05:27 PM
ima put my money on starter motor

dorikin
30-06-2008, 05:54 PM
yep i can hear the fuel pump
i prime it up before i turn the car over

vinnY
30-06-2008, 06:10 PM
weird must be the cold weather
had mine do the same thing recently too, been good the last couple weeks though.

fatboyz39
30-06-2008, 06:19 PM
could be battery. Check the voltage in the morning. We had a similar problem with our EK4, change starter and didn't fix it. Came to be battery.

vinnY
30-06-2008, 06:22 PM
yeah i've been meaning to get a new one.. starting to die after 3 years
too poor to buy anything special, it'll have to wait :D

dorikin
30-06-2008, 06:23 PM
yeh i was thinking it could have something to do with the cold weather

i'll check the battery out too

bennjamin
30-06-2008, 06:31 PM
do you mean when the engine JUST misses to start and there is a loud DUNNNNNNNNNN noise ? I think that is compression lock

dorikin
30-06-2008, 06:35 PM
nah
it doesn't even crank
when u first turn the key u just hear this click noise like the battery's dead
but after 2-3 turns it will start up perfect

bennjamin
30-06-2008, 06:36 PM
the click noise is the internal bushes of the starter motor not engaging. Common when its cold and old starter motor. Get a new starter ro check ya battery since hte cold weather is affecting it

dorikin
30-06-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah i thought most likely cause is starter

thanks guys

BRacinU
30-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Also had this exact problem with one of my old cars. When i had it at the mechanic he fixed it along with a few other things, he said it needed like a new relay. From what ive seen in ignition sequences there is a relay in between the key all the other stuff and the starter and there is like a delay for the right current to reach the relay to open/close it. So that is why you need to leave the key on the second click for a while. So if its not the battery, starter or other things, this could be the cause. Yea its a small annoyance but the relay should only cost $15-$40. It looks like a small ususally black cube about the size of a largre sugar cube. These do get worn as the have to open/close everytime the car starts.

*Bennjamin edit dont ask for rep*

98vtir
30-06-2008, 08:08 PM
yeah I had that problem in my EK4. was getting really bad at one stage, as in would click every time i turned the key.

one example of this was one night it wouldnt start outside my friends house, old mate next door said it was caused by the car being too hot and to let it cool down a bit (not overheating, but in that instance i had been doin alot of sustained high revving so the engine would be quite hot) sure enough, 10-30 mins (hey it was a long time ago, not sure on the chronology) it started

not battery, not starter motor. I got a new relay put in (not sure which one) and its since been fixed. only a few exceptions where its done it. has clicked once, but then subsequently started.

dorikin
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
hmm ok so it could be either the starter or that starter relay.

is that the relay that is located under the driver side dash?

btw car started up first thing this morning, so we'll see how it goes in the next few days.

blahZ
01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
get somthin and smack your starter

EG30
04-07-2008, 12:02 AM
check your battery's and its connections' condition 1st before blaming on the starter motor and its perhiperals.