PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Aftermarket Steering Wheel

Rice Rocket
30-06-2008, 11:49 PM
hey guys, just bought a spoon steering wheel for my 99 em1 but i was told today whilst the car was at the mechanics that if i tried installing it, the airbag light would be permanently on and my horn button won't work.

is this what really happens? and are there any ways around this?

bennjamin
01-07-2008, 12:07 AM
the airbag light will be on because there is no airbag connected.

You CAN get around this by disconnecting that light ~ but that is illegal for road use. Its your risk.
The horn button can easily be used - any half decent mech should be able to splice the wires from your stock harness to the spoon wheel and enable the horn.

chargeR
01-07-2008, 02:56 PM
is this what really happens? and are there any ways around this?

Not sure about EKs but for DC5s Mugen steering bosses come with a little resistor that you use to complete the air bag circuit so that the light does not come on. There may be something similar for EKs.

rpm boy
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
you can just ground the earth wire and the light dosnt turn on, but then you cannot re regester your vehicle and if you have an accident and your insurer sees what you ave done they will void your insurance

SHOGUNOVDDRK
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
the airbag light will be on because there is no airbag connected.

You CAN get around this by disconnecting that light ~ but that is illegal for road use. Its your risk.
The horn button can easily be used - any half decent mech should be able to splice the wires from your stock harness to the spoon wheel and enable the horn.

I thought i saw somewhere (Think it was Justin Fox's Jazz Build thread)

Cant you also buy something to cancel the light out and trick the ECU into thinking the airbag is still in?

55EXX
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
the car is defectable if the airbag steering wheel is replaced with a non airbag item. you have been warned.

Simmo2302
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
the car is defectable if the airbag steering wheel is replaced with a non airbag item. you have been warned.

that sucks. so if ur car comes with an airbag steering wheel, ur pretty much stuck with it 4 life :-(

unless u dont mind voiding ur warranty and roadworthyness etc

Spoon SiRG
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
PM EG5,complete SRS boss kits are available from JDM Yard.

Zdster
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
that sucks. so if ur car comes with an airbag steering wheel, ur pretty much stuck with it 4 life :-(

unless u dont mind voiding ur warranty and roadworthyness etc

Why does that suck? You want to purposly remove a safety featyre :o:zip:

02gzm
02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Momo make aftermarket SRS wheels. They just cost an arm and a leg

Simmo2302
02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Why does that suck? You want to purposly remove a safety featyre :o:zip:

nah just want a better looking steering wheel than stock

with a large family to support i realise any true performance mod is outta my league so looks is the next best thing.

Rice Rocket
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks for the help so far guys.
i've looked thru all the stuff i got with the wheel and the boss kit. its got some wires and also the boss kit is for srs steering wheels (although i'm not what that really means).
inside the box with the wheel theres some cables and adapters so would that be to fix the horn problem or the srs light even?

votek
03-07-2008, 04:43 AM
get a ek9 steering wheel

Simmo2302
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks for the help so far guys.
i've looked thru all the stuff i got with the wheel and the boss kit. its got some wires and also the boss kit is for srs steering wheels (although i'm not what that really means).
inside the box with the wheel theres some cables and adapters so would that be to fix the horn problem or the srs light even?

QLD Laws
www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/ebde8d0521b67c6/Pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Vehicles that are required to comply with ADR 69/.. or
ADR 73/.. or where originally fitted with a driver airbag
must not be fitted with a replacement steering wheel
without an airbag, unless it is supplied by the vehicle
manufacturer as an option for that model.

The diameter of any replacement wheel may be up to
25mm smaller than the original wheel but must not
be less than 350mm.

so basically if ur car came with srs air bag as an option, its ur choice to have a srs airbag or not with ur steering wheel.

some info on WA laws
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1412.asp