PDA

View Full Version : My 5th gen is making noises!!

GenV
20-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had problems with their 5th gen prelude with making a sort of whistling noise? When i start the engine i heard this whistling noise while im in the car, but when i pop the bonnet and listen to the engine from the outside i can't hear anything. Its only when im actually in the car, i can hear a sort of 'whistling'. I've taken to a mechanic and they've said that its just engine noise, but i remember there was no noise when i first bought the car. It drives the same, no problems with that, but the noise is bugging me! Has anyone had this problem or am I just being paranoid?

ECU-MAN
20-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a vacuum sound, could be coming from the brake booster. do you have an aftermarket airfilter.

GenV
20-09-2004, 10:57 AM
nah i dont have one...still using the stock filter.
its very odd, it happens while im driving and while the car is idling.
i haven't put any mods on the car at all...

Rowie
20-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Try spraying your belts with belt dressing if you have some? But you said its only inside that car, is your stereo turned off or on when you hear the noise? could be some intererence?

Rowie
20-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Anothe rthing, after you get a car you will start to get a paranoid ear for any little noises like that. Even when they are there when you got the car, your probably only just noticing it. Like after you get your first ding or scratch LOL :D

GenV
20-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Yeah im thinking it could be one of the belts, but i can't hear it from outside, only inside the car. Regardless of whether the radio is on or off it is still there!!
I clearly remember that it wasnt there when i first bought it, but now its here to stay! I might need to take it to another mechanic to get a second opinion.

lilphil
20-09-2004, 11:22 AM
hey i haf the probelm as well but it sounds like its comin out from the air cond...so dunno wat it is

McChook
20-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Could be a busted seal on the windows... or window glass not fully up or not going up properly.

Other than that, if you are running a big stereo, it coud be alternator whine

GenV
20-09-2004, 11:39 AM
actually now that i think about it, it does sound like its coming from the air con, even tho the air con or heater isnt on...its like its coming from inside the dash or something...
hey lilphil, how long has the noise been happening on yours?

lilphil
21-09-2004, 11:40 AM
it just happened 2 or 3 weeks ago
onli occurs once in awhile
like once every few days

Jazzle
09-10-2005, 08:53 AM
guys,, so do u know wat problem is it now?? and fixed yet?

coz i think i ahve the same problem now with my jazz.. and it's not "whistling", it sounds more like water dripping on water

grnlude
09-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Have you got a after market headunit or speakers?

Jazzle
09-10-2005, 10:17 PM
no man.. car is brand new

GenV
10-10-2005, 12:32 PM
The noise is gone now...I think it was one of the belts. Took it to another mechanic for a service and its gone..

Jazzle
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
how did the noise sound like though??

my one sounds like water running inside the air con vent damn it
.... :(

Jerms
12-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Was it like a high pitched sound coming from the passenger side footwell? And could you only hear it when the air con fan speed was low? like 1 bar?

If so then it is the air con motor. Because mine makes this noise and it only goes away when I turn the fan speed up to at least 2 bars. It only makes the noise at 1 bar. I have read about this problem in a technical service bulletin for the 5th gen before and it says some owners have reported this but nothing on how to fix it. So I think it is normal and only certain people can hear it because different people can hear different frequencies and not all people can hear the really high frequencies.