PDA

View Full Version : is this worth it?

simon_l
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
hi guys,
i am having a really hard time deciding between these cars, i am really stuck. i would love some opinions of people who own them and what they think would be the best choice and best value. my main question is, is it worth the extra 5 grand for the earlier year model?
i have test driven them all and i find them to be very similar and i dont really prefer either the R or S i think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
the choices i have are:
02-03 Type-R=$20-21k
05-06 Type-S=$25-26k
they are all it perfect shape and have all done around the 60k mark.
im hoping to get one by the end of this coming weekend.
any advice or opinions in helping me decide would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Simon.

we tec
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
i would grab the type r, body kit looks better and looks more like a racey car, the type s looks like a standard car from the outside..... detuned to have a softer look. depends what look you want....i would'nt worry bout the performance difference..... which is minimal.

NSPYRE
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
it depends wat u use your car for. only difference that comes to mind at the moment besides body is Type R comes with LSD while Type S does not. also, i think only Type R came with Recaro bucket seats

simon_l
02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.
Your right R does have a bit of a meaner look to it and the seats are nicer and it does have an LSD. but the S has: air con, climate control, leather, sunroof, 6 stack cd player, bigger rims.
im not much of a race car driver. its more of a cruise mobile (im a bit of a woos).
i guess i am trying to convince you guys that the better car 4 me is the type S!!! so in a way i have answered my own question. it seems to be a better fit and i think the extra money to get a younger car may be worth it.
Thanks again for your help and wish me luck on getting one before the week is out.
cheers,
Simon.

VTECMACHINE
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Most if not all DC5 Type R's have air con and climate control. The stock CD's players are rubbish anyways. Sunroof, only add weight and decrease Chassis ridgity.

IMO, I would go for a DC5 Type R over the S. But the S is newer... and is such a nice car. I prefer the Type S front and rear lights and Rims, it only needs a Type R wing, and it's prefer. But the Type R Seats are nicer, the suspension is firmer, and the LSD is there.

Regardless if your a "race car driver" which none of us are, a stock car is a stock car, Type R or not. So you won't be driving a " race car". I have driven both cars, and Type R was a much more enjoyable car to drive - but saying that the Type S was just as nice... but more for cruising. The Type R handles the fun drives better.

You just have to ask yourself... Am I going to drive windy roads for fun... or is this car going to be a daily commuter?
For fun go the R, and commuting in style and comfort go the S.

just my 2c.

simon_l
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
your 2 cents is appreciated.
ye im more of a commuter.

SiReal
02-07-2008, 03:57 PM
S - u also dont see as many thefts of the S over the R.

you'll enjoy the creature comforts more.

xtercii
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
S for sure, leather interior and looks sleek, all you have do is dump it on a set of 20in chrome and some quality sound system and you've just set yourself off in the sexpec league...

nick_sixx
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
who would put 20in chrome on a type s? gross

VTECMACHINE
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
S - u also dont see as many thefts of the S over the R.

you'll enjoy the creature comforts more.

No one bothers stealing DC5R's. Honestly! You don't need to worry about that.

Everyone knows DC2R > DC5R.

Zakarados
02-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I went through the same thing when i got my Type S. I use it as a everyday car, and the Type S has not let me down. The only thing i wish it had was a wing to make it look more sporty, not 1 person has tried to G my up on the streets over 3-4 months. (that is a good thing actually). LSD is a thing i would like koz im planning on tracking one day. Bucket seats would be nice, but being in recaros for long trips suck.

at the end of the day, if i found a 04 type R CW i would of chosen it over my 05 type S blue, but at the time, this was the best find.

Make a choice and dont look back. gl.

integra95
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM
hi guys,
i am having a really hard time deciding between these cars, i am really stuck. i would love some opinions of people who own them and what they think would be the best choice and best value. my main question is, is it worth the extra 5 grand for the earlier year model?
i have test driven them all and i find them to be very similar and i dont really prefer either the R or S i think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
the choices i have are:
02-03 Type-R=$20-21k
05-06 Type-S=$25-26k
they are all it perfect shape and have all done around the 60k mark.
im hoping to get one by the end of this coming weekend.
any advice or opinions in helping me decide would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Simon.

I would love to find a dc5r for 20-21k with 60k on the clock, where u looking mate. all i can find are dc5rs that have done 70-80k on the clock and are 25k at least

simon_l
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Sydney.
i personally wouldn't pay more than $22 for a 2002-2003 DC5R unless it had less than 60,000k on it. dont let what people on carsales.com write as an asking price deter you, if you show up with a cheque you will be surprised what you can get some of these cars for. the car market is dead at the moment at it only looks to be getting worse. i spoke to a guy yesterday who sold his strait as 2005 model DC5S with only 30,000k on the clock for $25,500. i am not saying all integras will sell at these price's but they do often if your willing to wait.

hydie
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I would love to find a dc5r for 20-21k with 60k on the clock, where u looking mate. all i can find are dc5rs that have done 70-80k on the clock and are 25k at least
Thats what i am thinking...

I bought my '02 DC5R for 26k with 63k kms on the clock, and that was at mates rates!

I use mine as a daily. It has all the creature comforts that i need, FULL climate control, and best of all, it has got full leather Recaro's and retrim :D. And they're the most comfortable seats ever... even for long trips. :thumbsup: And its in immaculate condition.

VTECMACHINE
03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll probs get flamed for this again! But hell, it's such a good deal, that someone on here can really benefit from!!! I'm trying to get my sister to buy it FFS.

DC5R, immaculate, STOCK! $25K ONO. it's my friends... he has put a deposit on a A3, and will be trading it in to a dealer regardless in A WEEK (next saturday)!!! It's done 47,000km's, it's Silver. I just want someone on here to get it... it's such a freaking good buy. Some one freaking buy it!!!

vtec_b0i
03-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey im the one with the DC5 that VTECMACHINE has posted about.

Gimmie a call if ur interested 0415 985 970 . My name is Paul

dc2r
14-07-2008, 09:26 PM
if it were me, i would get an R...
but from your description, if i were you, i would get the S...
anyway its been about 2 weeks now... what did you decide on?

simon_l
14-07-2008, 09:29 PM
still haven't decided really. though i am beggining to sway more towards the type-R. i think it is because they are a little more exciting than the S.

Tegzieboi_BAR
16-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Dude im in that position where im saving 4 a dc5... initially i was plannin 2 buy a S but after some research ive made my mind up n am definitely getn a R.

Simply a better package if ur buyin the car 2 do it up, especially if ur gna take a while 2 start. Good stock suspension, LSD, great lookin body kit, 100kg's lighter hence better handling at the end of the day. Power 2 weight works out 2 b almost identical.

Its ur decision 2 make, take em both 4 a test drive n c what u prefer. I do like the newer looking head/tail lights n rims of the type-S but i just think the DC5R has slightly more potential, if ur plannin 2 do work 2 it.

Goodluck bro!

marky53
16-07-2008, 05:03 PM
go the type r... they are hard to find with only 60k on it.... 2 years ago before I bought mine I found it hard to get a good one under 100k.....