PDA

View Full Version : I thinks its time to loose the wheels

lerroy
20-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Well today not one of my best days, Had to get my pink slip and rego done feeling very confident of a passing grade i was thinking about ny next pay packet and on what mod i could spend it on.....

i dropped the car off at the garage 20 mins later i came back and it failed the pink slip. after speaking to the mechanic my Two front tyres are down to the canvas "what" i said that cant be i got new Falken tyres just about 8 months ago. On closer inspection i got home and pulled the tyre off and this is what i see

http://www.thetommyflowers.com/lerroy/tire.jpg

As you can see the tire isnt that worn only on the inside edge very worn

ok sorry to rattle on ill shorton from now

I have 18" Rims 215/35 they came with the car with guards rolled they rub sometimes but i have never had a issue with it seemed fine the car has also been lowered with king springs.

http://www.thetommyflowers.com/lerroy/rub.jpg

As you can see by this piture this is where its rubbing on a seam and inner guard i have grinded the seam away a bit today to ease the pain

At this point in time i have two new Falken tyres on order they arent cheap :( . just to pass rego (im not rich and will have to save for new wheels)

i have a decision to make

1. ditch the 18's try and trade them in and get 16"s or 17"s with bigger tyres otherwise ill be on the ground

2. keep the 18's live with the tyre bill

its not really the size its the width of the tyre

i know you prob will all say ditch the 18 im prob 99% on that too
but what do i get ????
i love the 18 look ,feels like crap but yeah i wanna go back to 195 width

what do you suggest ???

wynode
20-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Definititely go for the 16s. They won't look too small, and shouldn't impede performance too much.

ArminG
20-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I got the exact same problem on my car, except on sat night near my house, my pass front trye went through the wire part and popped the tyre... i need 215/35/R18's aswell and they aint cheap, but they fill the guards nicel;y and look good, so i reckon i will stick with them.

Javed
20-09-2004, 04:19 PM
18's look too big to me. 17's are big enough as it is.

SiR JDM
20-09-2004, 04:32 PM
16s or 17s definatly .. 18s way to big on a dc2

lerroy
20-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah i know they look big if you have 16 or 17s but im used to them now they dont look that large.
They look nice and snug under the arch but the damage they are doing isnt worth it ArminG i really cant afford two new front every 5 months and holes in the road are not fun they hurt

As i said im sticking with the 18"s for about another couple of months till i scrape the cash together for a nice set of 16" or 17"

will i loose handling performance having a thicker wall tyre ???

what width is standard 16" and 17" ???

what wheels do you guys suggest brand wise im thinking some lightweight
wheels white or gunmetal or something i dunno

whats a good wheel and tyre place ??? i know of tempe tyres and aussie best oh im in sydney

this is what i ( and my dad ) have been doing all day fun grinding the wheel arch back a little bit
http://www.thetommyflowers.com/lerroy/sparks.jpg

thanks guys

monstaR
20-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey I have 17s and its kinda rubbing against the guard when I hit a bad depression :D ....... hence I think 16s are still the best way to go dude......

monstaR
20-09-2004, 06:54 PM
ps: potenza g3s are not bad.........

civic__dd
20-09-2004, 07:25 PM
What offset are your 18's? i have 18's on my 97 gli sedan and they fit fine:) i only scrub on my outer gards because i have 40mm offset rims(getting the outsides lipped soon) If your wheels are a >35 offset you need to change your offset and you will be fine. The optimal is 38 but 40 was the closets my style came in:). hope this helps mate but your problem is just as bad as mine:)

|N|
20-09-2004, 07:59 PM
just put some stockies on to pass the pinkies... then u have more time to think abt wat to do later on

lerroy
20-09-2004, 08:12 PM
What offset are your 18's? i have 18's on my 97 gli sedan and they fit fine:) i only scrub on my outer gards because i have 40mm offset rims(getting the outsides lipped soon) If your wheels are a >35 offset you need to change your offset and you will be fine. The optimal is 38 but 40 was the closets my style came in:). hope this helps mate but your problem is just as bad as mine:)

Ok excuse my N00bness but i have heard of offset but i have no idea what it means ??? and how do you change the offset ??? i havnt changed a thing since i got it with the 18s
is your car lowered ???

just put some stockies on to pass the pinkies... then u have more time to think abt wat to do later on

Yeah i was gonna do that friend with a lude slip isnt due for 3 weeks anyway got time tyres will be on the car tomoz,

BF
20-09-2004, 08:27 PM
16s or 17s... for best performance =P~

EG_2_TEG
21-09-2004, 12:33 PM
gotta love falkens

http://www.teamintegrated.org/random/worntyre.JPG

http://www.teamintegrated.org/random/worntyre1.JPG

i was gonna mention how fast these tyres were doin about a week before the pics were taken, but fried might have a sad :P

civic__dd
21-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Ok. Offset is how far the wheel sits in or out from where your wheel studs grab your wheel. If you run into your local tyre shop they will be able to explane it but basicaly you want wheels that sit closer to the ouside of your gards (ie higher mm offset(38-40m)) Most tyre palces should even trade you for your existing rims.

lerroy
21-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok. Offset is how far the wheel sits in or out from where your wheel studs grab your wheel. If you run into your local tyre shop they will be able to explane it but basicaly you want wheels that sit closer to the ouside of your gards (ie higher mm offset(38-40m)) Most tyre palces should even trade you for your existing rims.

Ok yeah i did a search on google, but yeah thats a better way of putting it thanks.. i will speak to Bob jane tomoz

EG_2_TEG thats shithouse....ahahahha falkens you say hey hmmm might not be the best tyre then

Edit : grinding the wheel wheel arch join back has seemed to ease the rubbing alot im gonna paint the metal and when i get new tyres see how much it rubs off to test

shecomb
21-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Buy my 17s!! :D

You now they will look good....

lerroy
21-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Buy my 17s!! :D

You now they will look good....

LOL you little pinna get back to the prelude section ahahah

what width are your 17s ???

tommytendulkar
28-09-2004, 05:42 PM
hey....im in a similar situation to u, changing wheels and dont know whether to go 16's or 17's, but im goin 17 X 7's.... momo fighters to be precise..... tyre size 205/40. and for the 16's you would do 205/45 i rekon.....

....one more thing, does anyone look at the load rating when buying rims, cos apparently the wheels i want arnt compatible to my dc4, but i was told to ignore what it said anyway!!!

joneblaze
28-09-2004, 06:37 PM
gotta love falkens

http://www.teamintegrated.org/random/worntyre.JPG

http://www.teamintegrated.org/random/worntyre1.JPG

i was gonna mention how fast these tyres were doin about a week before the pics were taken, but fried might have a sad :P

...what a hero.

jay-bee'z
28-09-2004, 08:51 PM
...what a hero.

thats whoa!

00dc2
28-09-2004, 10:01 PM
take a look here
http://www.wheelweights.net/

gives you wheel sizes and weights. you'll be able to see what sizes are popular and thus rubber will be widely available for them..

and what wheels are lighter and thus faster (and more expensive)

hondaboy
29-09-2004, 01:31 AM
those pics are from my ride just before i got new tyres.
i was unaware of how badly the wall was split.
i did 195kmh about 1 week before i got around to replacing them.

ps. joneblaze, its ok, not everyone lives life as straight as u do

joneblaze
29-09-2004, 10:10 PM
those pics are from my ride just before i got new tyres.
i was unaware of how badly the wall was split.
i did 195kmh about 1 week before i got around to replacing them.

ps. joneblaze, its ok, not everyone lives life as straight as u do

...Or perhaps not everyone is as respectful of other people's safety and the general community. Do go ahead and play the "straight"/"boring" card if you'd like.
It's nice to see you kids like to stick up for each other's retarded actions. It's almost as bad as idiots that tape themselves doing 200km/h on a public road in a high powered Skyline.
Heroes and sik****s the ****ing lot you. :wave:
And you wonder why people hear a loud exhaust and think "****ing idiot".

kickthecancrew
30-09-2004, 04:50 PM
freakin daangerous driving with split tyre walls.. LUCKY LUCKY

Javed
30-09-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah lucky, but unlucky that this idiot is still alive to continue these stunts.

hondaboy
01-10-2004, 12:09 AM
ok **** you all
i was UNAWARE of the the condition of my tyres.
if i had any idea at all, there is no way in hell i would have even driven my car remotely hard.
im not a speed freak, just so happened to be driving back into town that nite and decided to close in on 200.
so jonblaze u nazi, please, please find it in ur heart to forgive me

tommytendulkar
01-10-2004, 12:14 AM
... no need to get personal....

.....and as if u guys dont speed.......and like it as well.....

EG_2_TEG
01-10-2004, 12:18 AM
.....and as if u guys dont speed.......and like it as well.....

w3rd

DCLXVI
01-10-2004, 03:22 AM
jone seems to be alittle agitated with ppls who speed. Just wondering.. have you got hit by street racers or is there any story behind all this hatred. dun flame me..i drives slow.. my little breeze cant go fast... :)

Javed
01-10-2004, 11:27 AM
I seen too many innocent people whom have died due to punk assed street racers. Friends of my mates have died too. So why dont YOU shut the **** up.

EG_2_TEG
01-10-2004, 12:12 PM
there's a big difference between speeding and street racing...

mxtcy
02-10-2004, 11:26 AM
you could try using a 195 tyre instead of the 215 and just stretching that puppy on there, it actually really help with the handeling, but you have to run 40psi and make sure you check pressures every week. I run 215 on a 9inch wide rim and have run 205's so a 195 on a 7.5inch wide rim isn't a problem

tommytendulkar
02-10-2004, 01:49 PM
there's a big difference between speeding and street racing...

exactly.....theres a massive difference between street racing and driving fast. street racing involves taking a lot more risks... street racers are the real hoons thats kill ppl...

joneblaze
02-10-2004, 03:32 PM
exactly.....theres a massive difference between street racing and driving fast. street racing involves taking a lot more risks... street racers are the real hoons thats kill ppl...

If you believe that driving close to 200km/h on a public road isn't dangerous and "risky", you've got some serious head issues mate.

So "street racing" is "riskier" than driving at DANGEROUS speeds? Are you completely retarded?

Javed
02-10-2004, 05:10 PM
what jone said. You guys are trying to defend your actions, ****ing wankers! Go and hit a tree while you are "driving dangerously" and not "street racing" At least you will have the peace of mind that you weren't being as risky as "street racing". Oh and actually I've nearly been killed by people driving fast and not racing... The problem with you guys is that you all think you are invincible, ever thought of the damage you could cause to another person and their family? Get some money and go to a track.

faijai
03-10-2004, 12:46 AM
18's on a dc2 is a POS.
ditch em!
i did and its SOOO MUCH BETTER~

tommytendulkar
04-10-2004, 11:26 AM
just for the sake of not getting my house firebombed..... ive never street raced and have no intention of wrapping my car around a tree, and have never driven at 200km/h, or close to it....

...and for the sake of the forum go the 17's for sure, the weight difference between 16's and 17's couldn't be too much that its gonna influence performance in a huge way(all depends on what rim though)...and unless u are racing the car, does the weight diff really matter.....