PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying Euro

The X Man
03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market to buy a new car and Honda seems to be top of the list. I have one 2YO son and a baby on the way so these facts are taken into consideration but i want a quality car, not an aussie made slapped together type of thing.

I have been offered a new 2008 CL9 Luxury with Satellite Navigation model for under 40K on road (wheels are crap though) or alternativley considering the CU2 base model as my max budget is 40K (even though i'd prefer the CU2 Luxury).

I would like to ask

1) - if anyone knows the time for 0-100kms in a CL9 manual luxury model?
2) - does this model suffer from the tramlining problem many complain about?
3) - are aftermarket wheels easily availible (some funny offset isn't it)
4) - is it a good idea to buy previous model or should i buy the CU2?

Your feedback very much appreciated.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I went base CU2. I didn't even bother looking at a run out CL9. It is very dated in comparison to the CU2. The base CU2 has an awesome list of features.

A Lux Nav CL9 for under $40k is nice. Would be hard to go past if you want a lux model. Don't forget it would be worth stuff all once you drive it away...

Base CU2 vs base CL9? No comparison. CU2 all the way!!!

Aftermarket wheels for Honda's are available absolutely everywhere. Stock offset is +55, but around +48 are good. I think you can go as low as +42 depending on how lowered you go. 18's on the CL9 look mint, some crazy people have got 20's on theirs!!! A set of 18's (wheels and tyres) are cheap. ~$1500 lenso GF7.

I got to go 19's for the same look on the CU2. ~$2400 lenso GF7.

Tramlining. Seems to be a topic of late, but I don't think this is an issue. Just a forum discussion issue! LOL!

CU2 lux is 40k + onroads. Im sure you could get one for $43k. Thats what I would try for.

Type R Positive
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
And post your question here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

aaronng
03-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Wrong section. Moving to the Euro section.

yfin
03-07-2008, 07:31 PM
1) - if anyone knows the time for 0-100kms in a CL9 manual luxury model?
2) - does this model suffer from the tramlining problem many complain about?
3) - are aftermarket wheels easily availible (some funny offset isn't it)
4) - is it a good idea to buy previous model or should i buy the CU2?

Your feedback very much appreciated.

1) 7.5 to 7.8 seconds easily achievable off idle (driver only)
2) it isn't really a big issue - the car is just a bit "busier" than most when facing variations in the road - didn't bother me
3) yeah heaps
4) buy the CU2 unless you can get the CL9 lux for $30k (brand new) - ie cheap cheap. $40k for a CL9 lux is not worth it. Sav nav is not worth the asking price compared to portable units. The CU2 is a much better car no question about it. The CU2 lux is not that much over $40k so if luxury is very important go for that.

tony1234
03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
^^^^As above.If you decide to get a CL9 bargain hard.Otherwise wait a bit for the new model to become more freely available.

Jaso
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
If you wait a few months you should be able to get a luxury CU2 for just about 40k if your lucky.

The X Man
03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes, trouble is as of tommorow i have no car!

Crapdaz
03-07-2008, 11:38 PM
as tony has mentioned bargain hard for a CL9, but alas you'd prob prefer a newer car.

1) See yfin's reply
2) See yfin's reply
3) Funny offset? Just consider it a unique offset 45-55+ offset.
The least you should be running would be about 42 any less and it would be pushing it past the guards.
4) imho with buying a new car you'd be facing a large sum of depreciation and if you don't have burdens like a mortgage and the kid of yours, then i'd go for the CU2 but preferably the overall appearance of the CL9 looks more sexier, apart from that from another thread the CU2 had better dyno results than the CL9 2006 through the whole power band.

Hope this helps a little.
Goodluck on your buy.
Daz

tron07
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I dont really have much tramline probelm with my CL9, but then if I were to get a car now, of course it will be the CU2

damienm
04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
imo if your so desperate for a car just pick up a CL9 now as i reckon it looks sportier than the CU2 and is practical enough for your kids. You can easily find a Cl9 06+ lux in the low 30s price range (Pumped is selling his for 29,990) so thats a massive saving over the standard CU2 where you dont get leather seats (necessary when you have young kids), sunroof and plenty of other options.

aaronng
04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
imo if your so desperate for a car just pick up a CL9 now as i reckon it looks sportier than the CU2 and is practical enough for your kids. You can easily find a Cl9 06+ lux in the low 30s price range (Pumped is selling his for 29,990) so thats a massive saving over the standard CU2 where you dont get leather seats (necessary when you have young kids), sunroof and plenty of other options.

You are comparing a new to a used car... The used car is always going to be cheaper and have better value.

Crapdaz
04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
in my opinion the CU2 looks overly more massive + more blocky compared to the CL9, and its lost the sporty look/lines.

damienm
04-07-2008, 12:25 PM
yeh true (what aaron said) lol thats why i would only buy second hand cars. It seems like X man needs a car now so might as well grab a CL9 with all the options whereas he would have to wait for the CU2. thats just my opinion :)

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
yeh true (what aaron said) lol thats why i would only buy second hand cars. It seems like X man needs a car now so might as well grab a CL9 with all the options whereas he would have to wait for the CU2. thats just my opinion :)
Have to wait? I waited 3 days... and that is because I was working.

Type R Positive
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
in my opinion the CU2 looks overly more massive + more blocky compared to the CL9, and its lost the sporty look/lines.
There's no denying that CL9 was a stunner. Put it next to a CU2 and it looks dated. Especially the interior.

I still see my old CL9 when I look at my CU2. It's just grown some balls! :cool:

damienm
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
i just thought that a lux Cl9 was more practical cause of the leather seats as he has 2 young kids. if he adds the leather seats as an option to the CU2 he might be pushing hes budget a bit. i guess the main concern for me was just the leather seats :)

johnnyofhk
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
i was thinking the same thing, finally i chose CL9 Lux with nav over CU2 nav
Cu2's front looks like transformer movie's robots.... + i don't like cu2's steering wheel... feel smaller and not as good feel as cl9

thescotty
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
u shouldnt be thinking you should be doing, Accord euros are one of the nicest/stylish cars on the road, depending on where u live though they are very common (i.e. here in melbourne they are)..wearth the money and comfortable, they have enough power to suit your needs at an economical rate.... DO IT!

The X Man
05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I went out to another dealer today and he had no manual CU2's to test drive. I did test a VE Commodore SV6 though!

I honestly beleive Honda dealers don't want your busienss unless your 50+ and aren't picky about shelling out thousands of dollars of hard earned they way without a fight.

In hindsight, what do you guys think a new CL9 Lux Navigation worth (they only have Lux Navi's left)?

Type R Positive
05-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I went out to another dealer today and he had no manual CU2's to test drive. I did test a VE Commodore SV6 though!

I honestly beleive Honda dealers don't want your busienss unless your 50+ and aren't picky about shelling out thousands of dollars of hard earned they way without a fight.

In hindsight, what do you guys think a new CL9 Lux Navigation worth (they only have Lux Navi's left)?
New CL9 lux nav worth? I'd want it for less than $35k, fully loaded myself, but I bet they want you to pay more!

Honda dealers vary heaps from place to place. There was only one that were a bunch of wankers, and that was the ones who I brought my CL9 from! So much for returning customer loyalty...

How did you find the Commodore? SSV utes are cheap! (use too much fuel though...) I like that new Karma colour!

The X Man
05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
New CL9 lux nav worth? I'd want it for less than $35k, fully loaded myself, but I bet they want you to pay more!

Yep, they said they can do it for under 40K so i assume $39,500 or close to it. I think it's too much still. For $35K i would snap it up immediately.

Honda dealers vary heaps from place to place. There was only one that were a bunch of wankers, and that was the ones who I brought my CL9 from! So much for returning customer loyalty...

Tell me about it. Adelaide people are tightarses and so are the dealers. I'm sure they would be making several thousand on the CU2's but won't budge. One dealer said, oh, perhaps we can throw in some mats.. Thats going to really help buying a Lux.

How did you find the Commodore? SSV utes are cheap! (use too much fuel though...) I like that new Karma colour!

Only drove a new SV6. The SS's are too dear to run. It was a little noisy and certainly did not feel refined like the honda's but it sticks to the road like glue.

Strangely the Holden dealer lied to me aswell! The one i looked at was a 2008 build but a MY08 (so i found out after research). He said the difference between MY08 and MY09 was just cosmetic but it isn't. The MY09 has several software fixes, cosmetics and most importantly curtain airbags.

Euro08Jaz
06-07-2008, 03:41 AM
buying a new car is like throwing money in the wind lol i did anyway because i had alot of bad luck with used.

CU2 looks nicer but the CL9 is just as practical and i dont think there is that much variation in the engine. CL9 lux with navi hands down over base CU2

Type R Positive
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Strangely the Holden dealer lied to me aswell! The one i looked at was a 2008 build but a MY08 (so i found out after research). He said the difference between MY08 and MY09 was just cosmetic but it isn't. The MY09 has several software fixes, cosmetics and most importantly curtain airbags.
Thats the one thing I love about the CU2 euro. All spec's have the same safety equipment. My base CL9 missed out on curtain airbags. The CU2 is a fair bit safer too (CL9 4 star vs CU2 5 star).

I usually don't really think about cars safety, but down here in regeonal WA, there is heaps of kangaroo's. I've seen plenty of cars totalled down here. That's why I got my Prado (something nice with a bullbar!) instead of another $80k car through work (leaseplan).

aaronng
06-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Thats the one thing I love about the CU2 euro. All spec's have the same safety equipment. My base CL9 missed out on curtain airbags. The CU2 is a fair bit safer too (CL9 4 star vs CU2 5 star).
The extra star comes from the curtain airbags becoming standard across the range.

The X Man
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
The CL9 Lux Navi has 8 airbags as standard which includes curtain airbags..

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
The extra star comes from the curtain airbags becoming standard across the range.
Not just the airbags. ;)

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Yes it does.:D
But my point was the base CL9 misses out. :(

aaronng
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM

NCAP star rating is given based on the entire range. So if the base model doesn't have curtain airbags, the model is considered not to have curtain airbags.

aaronng
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Not just the airbags. ;)

What has been improved in terms of crash impact protection? I wonder if UK has done the testing yet..

yfin
07-07-2008, 08:43 AM
What has been improved in terms of crash impact protection? I wonder if UK has done the testing yet..

There was quite a bit discussed at the CU2 briefing on improvements to safety due to the revised chassis. Can't remember detailed specifics - a lot has to do with the use of higher grade steel and improved diversion of the impact through the body. There was a cutaway showing the diversion of force in the Cl9 and the CU2 - the CU2 distributed forces in a more efficient way.

edit - found something more specific

Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure
Progressively introduced throughout the Honda range, the Accord’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure provides significantly enhanced occupant protection in a variety of real-world crash conditions.
A front-mounted polygonal main frame is designed to prevent cabin deformation by distributing forces through multiple major load bearing pathways – and away from the passenger compartment. This is particularly important where a frontal collision occurs between vehicles of differing heights, weights or frame construction.
To achieve top level, side impact safety, Honda’s engineers have increased the side section of the frame and chosen different material specifications to provide the desired level of stiffness and strength for critical areas, without adding unnecessary weight.
The new Accord also incorporates many of the pedestrian-protection design features already familiar from recent Honda models, including windscreen wiper pivots designed to break away on impact, energy absorbing front wing mounts and bonnet hinges alongside an unobstructed area beneath the bonnet allowing greater space for deformation.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/honda-reveals-2009-accord-euro-tourer-and-sedan/

aaronng
07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
^^ If I remember correctly from the CL9 brochure (which is at home), the CL9 also has an ACE-designed chassis.

tron07
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
yup.... I think its more of marketing talk :P

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
yup.... I think its more of marketing talk :P
Nah, Honda definately upped the ante on safety with the CU2.

aaronng
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Nah, Honda definately upped the ante on safety with the CU2.

Found it. The CU2 is better than the CL9 in safety.

http://www.automedia.com/cs/blogs/auto_news/archive/2008/6/23/2009-acura-tsx-good-crash-test-results.aspx

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice find! I looked for Euro tests last night but couldn't find any.
I must look up how the active head restraints work. I know they come up and forward in impact, but it would be pretty cool to see a vid.

aaronng
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I just creamed....

http://www.zcars.com.au/images/2009-honda-accord-euro-sports-package1.jpg

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
2" drop and that would be IT!

euro77
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
yummy :thumbsup: