PDA

View Full Version : Replicate Civic FD mugen bodykit material question

FD2R
04-07-2008, 04:29 AM
hi guys/girls

I'm planing to get a kit for my civic FD, sourced few posts from ebay, but just wondering what material most suitable.

What are the differences between the ABS plastic, fibreglass and polyurethane?
Some said not easy to break and crack,some said paint can last longer and lighter.:confused: Which one is better? :confused:

i have no experience choosing kit on vehicles, any advises are very appreciated.

Cheers

Please relocate if posted in wrong area.

Shimian
04-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Heres some info that may help you decide.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/Bodykit.jpg

FD2R
04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
thanks Shimian thats marvelous. :D
So, looks like ABS is the best choice ?!?!

bodaas
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
yeah abs the best, just fit straight in

fiberglass, usually needs bogging job during fitment

JaCe
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Genuine Mugen is FRP isn't it?

Can definitely feel big difference in texture between my genuine wing and replica ABS bodykit.

I'd also have to add that fitment would be also dependent on the quality of the manufacturer- not just the materials. Sure it can bend and so on, but if the original mould is wrong (mine was a tinsy bit off), it still creates gaps.

tazman888
19-11-2008, 09:56 PM
How much heavier is the POLYURETHANE compare with the ABS?
is there a huge difference?

FallenAngel
19-11-2008, 11:04 PM
NOt that big of a difference but u'll feel it if u lift the parts with ur hands

Wayne
19-11-2008, 11:04 PM
how about Polypropylene which also known as PP and quite famous now in Malaysia.. =)

it says can compare the quality with ABS..

FallenAngel
19-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Er definitely not PP... It cracks easier than ABS and u can't really get the smoothness finish that u'd want on a car

Wayne
19-11-2008, 11:23 PM
really? but nowadays in Malaysia.. they selling bodykit in PP to replace ABS.. and they even said PP is the material same as our OEM bumper.. is that true? im still thinking to get ABS or PP.. scary matter.. =(

Shimian
20-11-2008, 07:11 AM
really? but nowadays in Malaysia.. they selling bodykit in PP to replace ABS.. and they even said PP is the material same as our OEM bumper.. is that true? im still thinking to get ABS or PP.. scary matter.. =(

PP is apparently replacing ABS. I bought some side skirts in PP material. It feels exactly the same as ABS. Cost wise PP is slightly more expensive vs ABS. I just wouldnt get PU as i had a bad experience with them.

Wayne
20-11-2008, 10:55 AM
i see.. can u post some pics of ur PP sideskirt? the best if u got the pics without paint.. yeah.. PU totally gave me bad experience too.. heavy.. and not fit perfectly.. and need some drilling to ur car..ouch.. =(

FallenAngel
20-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Got any links regarding the PP parts?

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 04:10 PM
so polyurethane is a bad choice? hmm, was just about to buy a kit made out of polyurethane. does anyone know where we can buy a replica mugen kit made out of ABS plastic in sydney?

Shimian
20-11-2008, 05:43 PM
i see.. can u post some pics of ur PP sideskirt? the best if u got the pics without paint.. yeah.. PU totally gave me bad experience too.. heavy.. and not fit perfectly.. and need some drilling to ur car..ouch.. =(

i dont have pic without paint. PP and ABS is similar when you touch it. I couldnt tell cos im no expert.

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 05:46 PM
shimian whered you get ur kit from? only kits on ebay are all polyurethane.. now im kind of reluctant to get them cos of the holes needed to be drilled, although.. wouldnt you need to drill holes for other material types too? like whats the real difference in adding it on to the car?

Shimian
20-11-2008, 06:16 PM
shimian whered you get ur kit from? only kits on ebay are all polyurethane.. now im kind of reluctant to get them cos of the holes needed to be drilled, although.. wouldnt you need to drill holes for other material types too? like whats the real difference in adding it on to the car?

i got mine from ebay ages ago. You dont need to drill holes. As far as i know, you need to drill holes on the car to match up the holes on kit. not drill holes on kit

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 06:30 PM
oh right, yeah i meant drill holes on the car. ahh shit.. not really intending to drill some holes, but thats the only way yeah?

so polyurethane is a nono? what material is the factory fitted kits made out of?

Shimian
20-11-2008, 07:05 PM
oh right, yeah i meant drill holes on the car. ahh shit.. not really intending to drill some holes, but thats the only way yeah?

so polyurethane is a nono? what material is the factory fitted kits made out of?

yes its the only way so its more secure. Factory is generally PP. Someone can correct me? Well, i dont wan tto say PU i a no no. I just had a bad experience. But im sure theres many level of quality with PU

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Ah alright, so you would recommend ABS over PU?

Wayne
20-11-2008, 07:06 PM
i think if u get ABS or PP with paint.. normally just plug and play.. anyway.. the website following is selling in sydney.. but a bit pricey compare to malaysia..

http://ssv.com.au/

i will order mine soon from malaysia.. if u wan we can ship together to save shipping.. =)

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 08:58 PM
ohh really, uhm have you got a link to the kit from malaysia? wouldn't mind some combine shipping =D.

Wayne
20-11-2008, 09:13 PM
erm.. dont have link at the moment.. because the seller is my friend.. but i won't get it so soon.. waiting my HTC Touch Pro to sold out then only got the money to buy and send here.. hehe.. =)

black8thgen
20-11-2008, 09:17 PM
ahh i see. haha fair enough mate.

me_kevinly
21-11-2008, 10:46 AM
yo Wayne i need a new front lip only
can you check out the price for ship and part for me please?

Wayne
21-11-2008, 02:07 PM
no problem mate.. but not so soon.. will pm u once i got the price.. =)

kupang
21-11-2008, 05:42 PM
hi tehre sorry to hijack
but just wondering can you get replica ing bodikit? whats the price?

thanks

Wayne
21-11-2008, 07:33 PM
not sure any replica INGs kits is available in the market.. will try look around.. =)