PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Fresh Air (finally)

beeza
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Finally got a solution to a custom intake box/enclosure.I bought it off Johnn on here.The filter is obviously inside the enclosure,it came with it,it's built into it so I don't think it can be changed but it can be cleaned,it's cone shaped.A K&N wont fit in there it's just a bit smaller but it works really well,the whole system works really well.I reckon it goes a bit harder and it's quieter.VERY HAPPY :D

So following on from the cold air ducting I did a year or so ago:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF1170-2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/coldairduct-2.jpg

And da intake:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2092.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2093.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2098.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2096.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2100.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2117.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2123.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/DSCF2126.jpg

JasonGilholme
04-07-2008, 02:40 PM
looks good beeza.

You'll get better results using a smoother style flexi pipe. The smoother the pipe the less turbulence you'll get, which means you'll get more air to the engine.

keep your eyes out, theres some good things at bunnings etc which might fit the bill. :thumbsup:

bennjamin
04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
You'll get better results using a smoother style flexi pipe. The smoother the pipe the less turbulence you'll get, which means you'll get more air to the engine.

this pipe will flow the same if not better than a totally smooth sided pipe of equal diameter. Think of the surface of a golf ball :) Anyway good work

Alexx
04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Thats some ghetto ducting right there beeza. I love it haha!

I heart the SSS
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
AWESOME

Love DIY.. It's the true way to do shit.

Also, what did you wrap the intake arm in off the TB?

Did you use that builders insulation shit?

I'm doing mine this weekend.. finally !

eg5civic
04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
looks like heat wrap isn't it??

or al foil:p

mrwillz
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
luv the pipez

beeza
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks crew!
That tape is the insulation tape they use on fridges.My mate had a roll lying around,since he's a tradie,so I grabbed it.Heat wrap would work better I feel.This tape is good for wrapping fuel lines.

I was going to use plumbers piping Jase instead of the flexi hose,so that's great to know benny :)

Gio
06-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Beeza can u pm me where u got this and where i can get one?

diffuzn
06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
this pipe will flow the same if not better than a totally smooth sided pipe of equal diameter. Think of the surface of a golf ball :) Anyway good work

I think it's a little more complex than comparing golf balls to internal airflow in a pipe. Golfballs have dimples so that its wake is alot smaller than if it had a smoother surface, this is because the boundary layer on a dimpled ball is turbulent and allows air to 'curve' around better.

If the piping was smooth, a smaller friction head would probably be calculated resulting in a lower velocity loss around the bends esp. of course it would be more expensive to buy custom smooth piping :P

beeza
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Beeza can u pm me where u got this and where i can get one?

I bought it off a member on here.I'll ask him and get back to ya :thumbsup:

CRXer
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
i would seriously reconsider the design of that cold air ducting if i was u.

beeza
07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
There's not much room down there for strait piping...

aimre
08-07-2008, 01:10 AM
All that effort for something that does nothing?

wow

beeza
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
All that effort for something that does nothing?

wow

Wrong.Like I said it works great!

I know if you compared this to an AEM CAI the AEM CAI will win on the dyno...

BUT,I got my own custom cold air intake that works great.There's FAR more satisfaction in that than wacking in a AEM CAI.I always wanted a SRI with cold air ducting.

Gio
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I bought it off a member on here.I'll ask him and get back to ya :thumbsup:

thanks beeza

Riviera
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
nice effort man,

but....... theres always a but

those pipes really didnt need to go that far aye...
coulda cut them off just after they have entered the
curve where the bumper is... theres plenty of airflow
i mean having them out front may help at high speed
but not by much... theres plenty of flow in the wheel well

edit:

lol is it just me or is it what seems to be like large scoops
behind that mesh??? if so then what ive said up there ^^^
may now vary haha

beeza
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
haha,yeah There 4 pipes going into 2 going into 1. 4-2-1.At the end of 2 of the pipes i.e. behind the mesh is a scoop/collector that I bought at the plumber's shop.I didn't get a photo of them but you can see it behind the mesh :)
I've only had it in a week and it definately is better than before without the intake completing the system. i.e.just a SRI withe cold air ducting that wasn't connected.It feels like the air/power is 'on call' now.There's very little hesitating like before when I put my foot down at speed.From a stop it's the same but goes harder once it gets going.

bennjamin
09-07-2008, 08:56 PM
guys who cares if it aint giving much if any more "power". It makes Beeza happy for the $ spent.

beeza
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes it certainly does Benny! :) Very Happy with it.

dsp26
09-07-2008, 09:25 PM
hey beeza, any chance you can provide dimensions of that carbon filter thingy??

i'm looking to chuck something that fits into a dc2 airbox i got.. didn't realise they were pretty small :/

hisoka
09-07-2008, 09:47 PM
lol thats pretty cool, i would cut it about 100 mm after the white splitter part,then it forces air in when your driving.

beeza
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Fa Sure,it's 180mm long and 120mm in diametre with a 3" inlet/outlet.

Do U mean cut it here:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/yada.jpg

Dy_
10-07-2008, 12:10 AM
hey beeza, any chance you can provide dimensions of that carbon filter thingy??

i'm looking to chuck something that fits into a dc2 airbox i got.. didn't realise they were pretty small :/

theres a k&n pod from supercheap that fits into the dc2 airbox.

beeza
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Here's a bit of a read on 'Ram air'.Putting a vacumn guage as someone mentions in front of the TB would tell you how much air is going in at certain RPM's.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20385&highlight=install

I'm content with my butt dyno being satisfied :)

hisoka
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Fa Sure,it's 180mm long and 120mm in diametre with a 3" inlet/outlet.

Do U mean cut it here:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/yada.jpg

yep exactly there,

nice article post just before, proves that the J's Racing type `1 intake is the best for a ram air affect lol~

beeza
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Interesting.I'll have a ponder on that for a while,thank U.

It's so interesting aerodynamics,ram air etc.

This is interesting too.It's about the hood tilt mod:

Hood Tilt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, one may ask;

Q: "what is the purpose of this? and has it been proven? "

i'll tell you why first.

A: There's been a lot of debate over the actual function of this mod...One argument is that it keeps the temps in your engine bay down, because people think the hot air flows out through the gap. In actuality there is cool air flowing in. Think about it this way...if you have a sunroof in your CIVIC, and you pop it up without sliding it back, what happens? You get a small amount of outside air coming in through the crack, kinda like a vacuum.
This is where the mod becomes a little more functional...for those with a B or D series, and ITB's. The vacuum created by the hood being propped and the suction of the throttle bodies means greater airflow straight into the engine. I've heard of as much of a 8-10whp gain from doing this and tuning accordingly, but I've still seen no dyno charts to prove it. Theoretically it makes sense, but whether or not the gains are noticable is debatable.
It also becomes somewhat functional for those lucky enough to have K-swaps, where the header sits right up against the firewall. The whole rear section of the engine bay tends to get much hotter, and the cool air being sucked in may lower that temperature, and the air then flows out the bottom of the engine bay, kinda like an even bigger vacuum.
These are the only 2 'real' scenarios where I've seen it functional for our honda's. As for most of the people that do this, about 95% of them OVER DO IT & don't know what it's for and they just think its a m4d tYte JDM thing....where in actuality, it just makes their cars look that much more ridiculous.

D16EK1
10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
hmmm... that sounds pretty intresting, because i thought people who had their hoods tilted up was just like people who wanted extra 50hp from tilting their hood and some how cooling the surface of their engines.

beeza
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I guess the only real way of knowing is if someone has done under hood temps tests...I'll check when I get time.

CRXer
10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
thats strange,all the heated air from my popped bonnet seems to find its way into my fresh air vent & thus into my cabin quite easily,so much for the vacuum effect...........

beeza
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah,I reckon it would work.

CRXer
10-07-2008, 09:23 PM
sorry,im actually saying its not workng in my car,the fresh air vent is under the wiper grill outside the bonnet,so all the hot air is def "exhausting" from the gap at the rear of my bonnet.

beeza
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
so all the hot air is excaping from under the hood and into your car,even with the air off?

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
so all the hot air is excaping from under the hood and into your car,even with the air off?

correct,air off,temp lever on cold(even made sure the heater hose valve was fully in the off position) & still hot air coming thru the vents.

My catch can isnt set up right either atm(thanx to the very difficult to work on DC2 intake manifold) & im getting oil vapours thru the vents as well.

Could be different for different cars with different engines,who knows.....

beeza
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Gio 'LSD GD3' on here can get em for 120 + shipping.Great price! Give him a PM Yo! :)

beeza
10-07-2008, 10:26 PM
correct,air off,temp lever on cold(even made sure the heater hose valve was fully in the off position) & still hot air coming thru the vents.

My catch can isnt set up right either atm(thanx to the very difficult to work on DC2 intake manifold) & im getting oil vapours thru the vents as well.

Could be different for different cars with different engines,who knows.....

I see.Sounds like a leathel combo.Fix that up quickly :thumbsup:

CRXer
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I see.Sounds like a leathel combo.Fix that up quickly :thumbsup:

if u got or know anybody with extremely small JDM hands,maybe u can fix it for me,otherwise off with the whole manifold just for one stupid hose:(

beeza
10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm in QLD but I'm sure one of the guys down there can do it.Don't give up on it :)

beeza
20-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Pics of inside intake/filter added to post 1!

EK1.6LCIV
21-07-2008, 12:52 PM
very very interesting install, must hear this system one day

beeza
21-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Forsure Ryan! I'm sure we will meet again on a meet in the future!

beeza
30-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Need help plz.This join won't stay in...
I can't figure a way to join it up,any suggestions? :)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/beeza2/IMGP2185.jpg

hisoka
30-09-2008, 04:16 PM
is it supposed to slide into that black one bro.

if so. what you do is get a knife or a real sharp blade and start trimming from outside untill inside. this makes the end thinner and u can squeeze slide it in. also use some sealant or something if needed, usually not needed but.

easier way is to poke tiny hole through the bottom one on both sides. then poke tiny hole through blue hose both sides and in line with black hose. then take the top black hose off so you can see inside blue one into black one, what u wanna do is line up the holes u poked then run tiny zip ties through the bottom one and exit through blue one (do both sides) then close the loop. then put top black one back on and ure done.

beeza
30-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey nice! I think 1 zip tie just may work! On the right hand side there's a hole u can see,it's already got a zip tie,so I should make a hole in the blue rubber bit.Thanks Hisoka!
Drill a small hole through the blue bit,so it will be stronger than a slit yeh?

hisoka
30-09-2008, 10:43 PM
yer, but dont use to big of a bit, try and get the smallest one that will just fit the zip tie bro,. the more air that is being released out of the hole the less pressure is in there obviously, so small is good.

its like the vacuum cleaner when u want to remove the end part of the nozzle its real hard to do when cleaner is on, but when u slide the thingy at the top so a hole is expose in the pipe, the holding or sucking pressure is dropped and the vacuum cleaner end part is easier to take off. moral, just make sure small hole

beeza
01-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Done.I didn't drill a hole,I put the cable tie around the hose clamp and through the hole (right hand side of pic).Worked a treat!
Cheers!!

quang
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
looks good, but a bit compicated. have you thought of cutting a hole out of your front bar infront of the wheel well then putting a pipe or air dam right behind it. same effect much less material, but i guess your way no hole in the front bar. that way it acts as both forced air and sucked air, plus less distance to travel through pipes.
also is your intake from the filter back metal??? if you can shorten it, you can fit a 3inch 90 or 45 degree pipe combined with a flexi joint to help for angle, through the hole into the wheel well that way you don't have the risk of that joint coming loose, cause that flexi pipe looks like its struggling.
i should probably try and make a custom CF box before i leave uni...sigh. hmm i should get around to asking my supervisor if i can. :)
but props for doing the hard work, if it works it works!

beeza
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Quang,I know what you mean but it works fine so I'll just leave it and see how it is on the dyno soon...

Lukezen27
18-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Where did you get that piping for man?

I need to do that exact mod

beeza
18-11-2008, 08:07 PM
A place called 'hose supplies'.If you ring a couple of places like that in the phonebook and ask for flexi-hose you'll be right.
The PVC Y joint is from a plumbers.

:)

mrwillz
18-11-2008, 08:16 PM
beeza ftw

beeza
19-11-2008, 09:52 AM
hehe,Thanks MrWillz.

I'm stoked ya like it :)

DvS-
29-11-2008, 08:21 PM
A place called 'hose supplies'.If you ring a couple of places like that in the phonebook and ask for flexi-hose you'll be right.
The PVC Y joint is from a plumbers.

:)

autobahn sells 'flexi hose' as well..:thumbsup:

aimre
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
autobahn sells 'flexi hose' as well..:thumbsup:

I bet at an inflated price

Like the missle switch covers they sell for $20 that are $5 at jaycar