PDA

View Full Version : tyre/rim combos for drags only

Limo
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
looking for a tyre/rim setup for the drag strip.i roll on 17's for daily driving, but want something that i can easily swap over b4 i head up to the strip,also prob cant use full slicks cos i havent got anywhere to put my other wheels.

i was thinking of 16"x7 or 8 for the fronts with semis and 14" steelies for the rears. i have seen other ppl use bigger rims on the rears, but not quite sure why(anybody want to shed some light on this?)

chargeR
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
If you are referring to semis as in re55s, A048s and the like do not bother, these tyres not suited to drag racing as they have a very stiff sidewall.

If you do not wish to go a full slick how about a drag radial like the Nitto 555R or BF Goodrich G force T/A. Decide what tyre size you wish to use before you decide what rim to run.

If you are after cheap wheels in custom widths I would try out Diamond Racing Wheels (Link (http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/)). They will build a 15" wheel in whatever width and offset you want.

chargeR
04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
mind you heaps of drag racers use steelies at the runs so they cant be all bad.

Indeed. Most drag radials seem to come in the most sizes to suit 15" wheels.

The Diamond racing wheels I mentioned in the above post are steel and should be less than 200 bucks each, I got a set of 16x8 for around $1000. However if you want to go lighter and aluminium there are plenty of options available from the U.S. like Bogart and Weld.

RICER23Q
04-07-2008, 06:58 PM
mickey thompsons > *

Limo
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Good advice, remember that when you go with a tire rim combination with a smaller rolling circumference it is the same as using a lower final drive and should give you better times UNLESS you have some real wild setup that overpowers the smaller tires. Nitto 555Rs FTW

im running ~190wkws and cant seem to get any/much traction until i hit 3rd (thats on shitty street tyres that is). thats why i was thinking something like 16's or how about 15" with a bigger profile on the tyres?

a few other guys have told me to jack up the fronts and use big mofo tyres.. would this be better than a normal setup with the car frame angle facing the front?

55EXX
06-07-2008, 07:20 PM
a few other guys have told me to jack up the fronts and use big mofo tyres.. would this be better than a normal setup with the car frame angle facing the front?

jack up the rear and use stock skinny overinflated rears

smaller fronts is what your after man with good rubber

SHW.70Y
06-07-2008, 08:38 PM
15x6 inch rims , mickey thonmspon et drag radials in 205/50/r15 size , stock rims on the rear inflated to 50psi.
heat up the mickeys and they will serve you well!

grumpy rooster
06-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Two things. First you should always go with the "Shortest" tire that hooks up because the bigger the tire the more "Rolling resistance" the tire has and the more drag you have to overcome means slower times. Your friends seem to just like the look of the giant tires but they will slow you down.

The second thing is the larger you tires the WORSE it is for your effective gear ratio. The shorter the tire the more gear reduction you have it can be like moving from a 4.7 to a 4.9 just from tire size.

You are just having trouble with your old crappy tires. Any brand drag/street radial will work better than crappy street tires. Look at some of the class racers that have to use small tires and you can see 427 Fords old school doing 11.7 runs on tiny 7" street strip tires so I really think they will work for your 190wkws.

Steelies will work fine if you have them use them and save your bucks for some drag radials and HAVE FUN.

This is it. Go for a total diameter of around 24 inches with the smallest diameter rim that will fit over your brakes. That will give you the most sidewall or "bag" on the tyre. The more "bag" the better for startline traction. Generally speaking NA Hondas work best on 22-23" diameter tyres and turbo setups 24.5". Those diameters are available in slicks but their "street" cousins may not be. Those diameters are good for a reasonable amount of power. As claymore said once you get into bigger power levels you need taller tyres as the smaller ones get overpowered.

As for a particular tyre go for Mickey Thompson ET Streets. In my opinion they are the best. Speak to some of the guys who run in Sport FWD like RICER23Q who's Pulsar would be making more power than you and seems to hook up ok if the driveshafts stay in it. :p For the rear go the narrowest tyres you can and pump them up fairly hard so they are giving you as little rolling resistance as possible.

Rim choice is a hard one because if you want to drive on the street to the track you are automatically eliminating all the lightweight drag rims. Just find the lightest and smallest diamater you can. The rim width doesn't really matter as long as it is a minimum 6". You can sqeeze wider tyres than usual on when they have soft walls like the drag rubber. A tyre of 8" is what most of the guys are using in the slicks. I'm not sure what M/T offer in ET Streets. Its probably around 215/60 for a 14" or 15". Prepare to pay over $200 a tyre.

EGB18CT
07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
hoosier make some nice street tyres also avail in a drag radial or circuit tyre with stiffer sidewalls. 24-25" slicks 8" wide like grumpy mentioned is popular and good results...

todaek9
09-07-2008, 08:25 PM
but sidewalls helps you launch the car hard...
lets say i want to put on 15x7 wheels..what's the size to go for?

it is so hard to find a 13x8 wheels in Aussie...no one is selling em..

fat tyre and 24.5 is what yonas recormmend me..but it'll possibly kill the clutch before the car got off the line...

EG5
11-07-2008, 09:09 PM
but sidewalls helps you launch the car hard...
lets say i want to put on 15x7 wheels..what's the size to go for?

it is so hard to find a 13x8 wheels in Aussie...no one is selling em..

fat tyre and 24.5 is what yonas recormmend me..but it'll possibly kill the clutch before the car got off the line...

Depending on your gear ratio
You can try 22 inch , 23 inch or 24.5 inch tall on 13 or 15 inch .