PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Ram Vortex Ducted intake System

LSD GD3
06-07-2008, 07:08 PM
:p
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pS9inPJJt9N4VtitXepS34hSgwft5EmgkFEYyyUqzYJS7Twj 4X8MkR10iCMmpUdoL
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3742/dscf1818hj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Uninstalled this crap Vortex thing
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7777/dscf1821az3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

just intalled this wkend ... O it was Loud ... Sweet Honda Sound The way it should be.

Took the stock intake system, out. it was soooo Big i think almost took 3-4kg off the car. Was not a hard job took about 1hr because need to take the old system out which need to take off bumper but was too lazy so took off 1/2 of the bump clips and nuts just enough space to un bolt. but also needs to take off a wheel to be able to take out the stock system.

aaronng
06-07-2008, 07:12 PM
So is the filter inside that CF section?

LSD GD3
06-07-2008, 07:14 PM
So is the filter inside that CF section?

yes
Carbon Charger intake System

r-r-redEuro
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
what kind of filter is it in the CF ? similar to the stock filter ? or is it kind of like a mushroom ? pod ?

btw it looks like a really good setup. im really interested, how much did it set you back ? and how loud is it ? compared to the CAI's or SRI ?

aaronng
06-07-2008, 07:53 PM
The fins block airflow. Not much point having the fins if you have the pod downstream because the spinning air smashes against the filter surface anyway.

johnprocter
06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
mmm, i put chicken schnitzel in my Ram Vortex Ducted intake System and it almost doubled the output, id suggest inghams?

felixd
06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
its a cool experiment though :) how loud is it give us a listen if you can .looks like the simota's intake kit

LSD GD3
06-07-2008, 08:55 PM
what kind of filter is it in the CF ? similar to the stock filter ? or is it kind of like a mushroom ? pod ?

btw it looks like a really good setup. im really interested, how much did it set you back ? and how loud is it ? compared to the CAI's or SRI ?

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9580/12135954649du0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
is like this inside Carbon fiber Housing
Well is only loud if you Rev it idelling is not that big different!

LSD GD3
06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
The fins block airflow. Not much point having the fins if you have the pod downstream because the spinning air smashes against the filter surface anyway.

Well because this set was not design for CL9 i just Retro fitted on to it.. The instruction said to be installed between the air filter and the throttle body. But the way Honda made the part where i fitted the CF filter can't fit the Vortex part. But it came with it so i may as well use it. Why i had it at the end of the Duct is because the ducting its self has lots of ripples if the Vortex work as it should would make less drag for air going through the Ducting! and it is working for now .. may change the fitting around later!

LSD GD3
06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
mmm, i put chicken schnitzel in my Ram Vortex Ducted intake System and it almost doubled the output, id suggest inghams?

:eek:

aaronng
06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Well because this set was not design for CL9 i just Retro fitted on to it.. The instruction said to be installed between the air filter and the throttle body. But the way Honda made the part where i fitted the CF filter can't fit the Vortex part. But it came with it so i may as well use it. Why i had it at the end of the Duct is because the ducting its self has lots of ripples if the Vortex work as it should would make less drag for air going through the Ducting! and it is working for now .. may change the fitting around later!

It doesn't make the effect of the ripples disappear.

Crapdaz
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
ripples in your piping will make air flow reduced.
correct me if i am wrong but.

Suntzu
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Put a 200 watt hair-dryer fan in it and run it off the alternator. It wont do shit but it will look cool next to your sub-space vortex generator.:eek: Might make a nice sound too when all this rice gets sucked into the intake manifold. For about 50 milliseconds.:p

Crapdaz
07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Put a 200 watt hair-dryer fan in it and run it off the alternator. It wont do shit but it will look cool next to your sub-space vortex generator.:eek: Might make a nice sound too when all this rice gets sucked into the intake manifold. For about 50 milliseconds.:p
like those intake propeller toys you can get on ebay.

beeza
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I just installed the same intake in my car a week ago:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93744

I really like mine,it goes real good!
I didn't bother with the spinning part...I think it would restrict air flow.

Can U get replacment filters for it do U know?

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I see funny shit like this on ebay, and on other forums.

Im on a Yanky dirtbike forum, and there was one bloke trying to flog off computer fan set up for dirtbike for big $$$.

Funny as fcuk if you have the time to read:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354603&highlight=fan

JunYu
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
that's different!

wonder if the filter gets enough air on idle/take off! it's in such a confined space!

aaronng
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
that's different!

wonder if the filter gets enough air on idle/take off! it's in such a confined space!

Dyno before and after to find out. Too bad he has already installed it.

beeza
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
that's different!

I wondered this for so long.Finially took a punt and it works great!

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
LSD GD3, pull that vortex shit out of the intake man, it's blocking valuble air space.

With that set up, I'd go SRI, with the pipework disconnected, but aiming at the filter. I believe that pipework would create too much restriction.I'd go at least 3" on the intake. That looks 2.5" or less. I think I'll stick to K&N CAI, but it is good to see some DIY happening.

johnprocter
07-07-2008, 05:00 PM

WTFFF LOL? when did i post that :S who the fudge has been using my account :confused::confused:

beeza
07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
ahahahahaaaa!!

EuroAccord13
07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Spam is delicious to eat with bread and cheese but not in this thread.... :)
So keep it out of here...

aaronng
07-07-2008, 05:21 PM
WTFFF LOL? when did i post that :S who the fudge has been using my account :confused::confused:

Checked the source and both that post and this post of yours were made using the same internet account.

johnprocter
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Checked the source and both that post and this post of yours were made using the same internet account.

LOL definatly my little brother then.. anyway why dont you have a short ram instead and have piping going up to it from the same place you have atm? wouldn't that be more effective? and get rid of that lil fan thing imo

Crapdaz
07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
you dont really know unless you dyno it, the fan thing would restrict but once its spinning it'll be like a turbine which propels air inside, but air flow would still be reduced due to ripple piping.

At slow speeds your turbine will not turn much. just my 2c

beeza
07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
you dont really know unless you dyno it

This is the thing but the butt dyno says mine works.I was pleasantly suprised at the performance of my car,I thought the filter was going to be cheap crap but it really works well.

LSD GD3
10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
This is the thing but the butt dyno says mine works.I was pleasantly suprised at the performance of my car,I thought the filter was going to be cheap crap but it really works well.

Hey how much you got yous for?

beeza
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
$170 off a member on here.Do U know where to buy them cause a couple of people have asked.

Type R Positive
10-07-2008, 05:22 PM
$170 off a member on here.Do U know where to buy them cause a couple of people have asked.
Wow! That is really expensive! :eek:

LSD GD3
10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow! That is really expensive! :eek:

Expensive???
How much Do you think they Cost$?

From what i know a normal Ducted Intake System is around $200-300 and if is Branded and Carbonfiber around 300+

$170 is Cheap i would think!

felixd
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
do you have any sound clip ? of the intake i wanna hear how its roars pls :) thx

LSD GD3
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
do you have any sound clip ? of the intake i wanna hear how its roars pls :) thx

Sorry bit busy will do it asa i could :(

Type R Positive
10-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Expensive???
How much Do you think they Cost$?

From what i know a normal Ducted Intake System is around $200-300 and if is Branded and Carbonfiber around 300+

$170 is Cheap i would think!
$170 For what? cheap ass filter and some cheap ass ducting?
That 'kit' doesn't even replace stock pipe from intake to filter.
I got my K&N CAI for $220 4 years ago. Reputable brand.

As long as you're happy mate. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for that.

LSD GD3
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
$170 For what? cheap ass filter and some cheap ass ducting?
That 'kit' doesn't even replace stock pipe from intake to filter.
I got my K&N CAI for $220 4 years ago. Reputable brand.

As long as you're happy mate. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for that.

Mate if you can Find one for $30 let me know And What Car is it for The K&N $220 ... and 4 years ago .. next thing you will be telling me you pay $30 for a tank of fuel 4 yrs ago ... keep dreaming in your good old days

Type R Positive
10-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Mate if you can Find one for $30 let me know And What Car is it for The K&N $220 ... and 4 years ago ..
CL9 euro. I wouldn't have mentioned it other wise. ;)

next thing you will be telling me you pay $30 for a tank of fuel 4 yrs ago ... keep dreaming in your good old days
Yeah, the good old days when simota airfilters didn't cost $170. LOL!

LSD GD3
11-07-2008, 12:12 AM
CL9 euro. I wouldn't have mentioned it other wise. ;)

Yeah, the good old days when simota airfilters didn't cost $170. LOL!

When did i said it is Simota?

Min988
11-07-2008, 06:21 AM

A bit of fly screen ie. "cheap filter" is going to do wonders for power, but at the end of the day it isnt going to be doing much filtering like a filter should. My definition of a good filter is one which cleans the air without too much restriction not one which gives performance gains with edgy cleaning. The last thing you want to be doing is comprimising the engine, only time will tell.

And on a serious note that turbo super improve your mileage fuel saving fan and washine machine dump pipe ducting with the white zip ties is nasty, However carbon fibre known for its lightweight and high durability is going to be put to good use inside an engine bay.

Crapdaz
11-07-2008, 07:58 AM
not much of a performance gain.

might as well just stick with K&N.

felixd
11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
LOL everybody start to argue about his intake calm down :) at the end its his car .

Type R Positive
11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
When did i said it is Simota?
www.simota.com.au (http://www.simota.com.au)
Check for yourself. :)

aaronng
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
www.simota.com.au (http://www.simota.com.au)
Check for yourself. :)

Just the same design. Not the same item.

beeza
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah,I've thought about that,how well it filtering but like U said,only time will tell.I'm willing to risk it.The engine is nothing great.Still goes good enough for me though.I will be tracking the car at the end of the year so if I blow it or something,I'm not bothered.I'll just be on foot for a while which will save me monet anyways.I live close to work.
I smacked the header a couple of times over speed bumps and loosened it up where the 4 pipes merge to 2.And another time where 2 merge to 1.It bolts together with a gasket.I got it fixed up easily enough.I need coilovers so the suspension is a bit harder and drive slower over the speed bumps :)

Type R Positive
11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Just the same design. Not the same item.
I tracked the lineage to here:
http://www.aape.biz/En/Product/ProductDetail.asp?iProductId=8845&sFrom=sProduct&iCategoryId=98&sFilter=&sFilter2=&sNType=#

I thought it was a nice DIY project, untill I see the price these guys are paying for it. Made in Taiwan.

aaronng
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I tracked the lineage to here:
http://www.aape.biz/En/Product/ProductDetail.asp?iProductId=8845&sFrom=sProduct&iCategoryId=98&sFilter=&sFilter2=&sNType=#

I thought it was a nice DIY project, untill I see the price these guys are paying for it. Made in Taiwan.

I agree with you that the JiaJieh is the same item as the Simota, but if you look at the pic of LSD GD3's intake, there are slight differences. Same design, but different manifacturer.

Nepolian
11-07-2008, 05:43 PM
LSD GD3: Good fit up and write up mate!

Keep regular checks on it and I cant see why it would not be as good as any other cheaper filters.

IMO there would still be gains over the std box. The ripples would somewhat be a burden to the airflow but the gains would override that!

Type R positive, I have read the posts and I cant figure out what you're trying to prove? This isnt a debate about the product itself. Cant see LSD GD3 trying to flog the stuff or anything like that......????

Im sure this would give many other an idea of what gains to expect.

Good luck!

Nepolian
11-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Deleted, if it keeps you happy! :)

aaronng
11-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Deleted, if it keeps you happy! :)

Nah, was just pointing it out... :thumbsup:

Type R Positive
11-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Type R positive, I have read the posts and I cant figure out what you're trying to prove? This isnt a debate about the product itself. Cant see LSD GD3 trying to flog the stuff or anything like that......????

Im sure this would give many other an idea of what gains to expect.

Good luck!
No one has said anything about gains, but Beeza, which to whom my discussions are with. And even then it was 'goes real good'.
I see I have stirred the hornets nest with him by saying 'Wow, that is really expensive'.

Just pointing out that you can get that product made by Simota, if anyone such as yourself is interested in getting the same set up. Should cost well less than $170. ;)

Type R Positive
11-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I agree with you that the JiaJieh is the same item as the Simota, but if you look at the pic of LSD GD3's intake, there are slight differences. Same design, but different manifacturer.
Yeah, I wonder what manufacturer LSD GD3's is?
Those Simota's do come in 3 different models, and they make those vortex things.

What manufacturer are they Beesa / LSD GD3?

Euro08Jaz
12-07-2008, 02:58 AM
is their actual dyno proven gains with this intake?

beeza
12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure who it is cause I threw the box out...do U know LSD GD3?
Yeah if it was $300 difference it would be a different story but $50...

beeza
12-07-2008, 12:54 PM
is their actual dyno proven gains with this intake?

nce we get the name,we can check the net :thumbsup:

LSD GD3
18-07-2008, 12:52 AM
just took the vortex thing out today and can tell it was crap
cos the sound is so different. is louder with out it ...

Crapdaz
18-07-2008, 07:00 AM
just took the vortex thing out today and can tell it was crap
cos the sound is so different. is louder with out it ...

hmmm.... does it give a smooth purring noise/roar (CAI) or does it give a rough grunting roar (SRI) ? with and without the vortex thingy-ma-jiggy.

LSD GD3
18-07-2008, 01:13 PM
hmmm.... does it give a smooth purring noise/roar (CAI) or does it give a rough grunting roar (SRI) ? with and without the vortex thingy-ma-jiggy.

it has always been a loud raw sounds
is always going to be louder then most because of the Tube design of the intake

Crapdaz
18-07-2008, 03:13 PM
it has always been a loud raw sounds
is always going to be louder then most because of the Tube design of the intake
would have reckon that it would be softer than an exposed SRI, as i am running the SRI exposed.

and i find it nastily rougher as vibration gets transferred into steering wheel, and also i get ear blocks when revving it.

aaronng
18-07-2008, 09:13 PM
would have reckon that it would be softer than an exposed SRI, as i am running the SRI exposed.

and i find it nastily rougher as vibration gets transferred into steering wheel, and also i get ear blocks when revving it.

Got a vid?

Crapdaz
18-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Got a vid?

no sorry aaron, i can try get one up but hard not too noticeable during idle.
more noticeable at speed, and different weather conditions.

and also the ETD plays a part of some of the vibration, but every now and then my ears get blocked from intake cabin noise.

aaronng
19-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Get someone to take a vid while you are driving?

johnprocter
19-07-2008, 08:04 PM
lol i have a exposed SRI too, i actually love the sound it produces :) especially at WOT VTEC!!!!!! RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR

Crapdaz
19-07-2008, 09:09 PM
lol i have a exposed SRI too, i actually love the sound it produces :) especially at WOT VTEC!!!!!! RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWR

Vtec has a nicer purr to it with cai, but lose out on a bit of throttle response.