PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening

theuan101
06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi all,

I had a custom made catback 2.5" exhaust put in my car 1 month ago. It has a standard muffler and a 18" resonator. It is on my Integra VTiR. Now the exhaust is not extremely loud but it is fairly loud inside the cabin. I am also getting a 2.5" hi flow cat, would that make it even more louder?

How would I be able to quieten the cabin? What should I use?

Cheers

geeang
06-07-2008, 09:56 PM
You can go for the expensive option, which is to lay the interior of your car (under the carpet) with sound absorbing/deadening mat (most popular is a product called "dynamat"). Or you can get cans of body deadener, and spray your wheel arches to help reduce cabin noise, other than that the only way I can think of making your cabin quieter is to get a quieter exhaust system.

theuan101
06-07-2008, 09:58 PM
You can go for the expensive option, which is to lay the interior of your car (under the carpet) with sound absorbing/deadening mat (most popular is a product called "dynamat"). Or you can get cans of body deadener, and spray your wheel arches to help reduce cabin noise, other than that the only way I can think of making your cabin quieter is to get a quieter exhaust system.

Would that made a bit difference or small, the dynamat stuff?

geeang
06-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Well the dynamat can be quite expensive if you're laying ur whole cabin, normally it's used in doors or in boots for audio applications to deaden echo's and reduce vibrations. However, I would expect it to work just as well in reducing cabin noise, the sound deadening your wheel arches is a cheap option (something like $10-15) but that will only do so much to aid your cause.

theuan101
06-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I done the wheel arches made a fair difference to road noise, but I want to make the exhaust quiet inside the car. I was thinking to do the dynamat in the boot first to see if it will make a difference, but I want some advice before I go spend lots of $$$$

geeang
06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Dynamat would basically be layering up on the sound deadening panels in the car already, so it would help but I'm not exactly sure just how much.
What you could try is to get a thick sleeping blanket (one of those thick heavy mink type ones) and just chuck it in your boot, drive a couple of K's and see how the noise is for you. Then you'll have a rough idea of what the dynamat will do for your cabin noise.

theuan101
06-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Ok sweet, I will try that in the morning, will see how it goes! Do you know if I get e 2.5" hi flow cat, would the exhaust be louder?

geeang
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
The cat you get can affect the sound output of your exhaust, if you just have the standard cat on there and you're replacing the cat with a hi flow one it might make the system louder. Xforce metal cats are meant to be pretty good and they're not too loud with an RM01A exhaust.

Another option is to add another resonator to your exhaust system to cut down on noise, or even a noise filter if you have a cannon.

theuan101
06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I will go and ask the exhaust shop, and see what they say. I don't have a Cannon, don't like the bling... I just got a 2.5" standard muffler with a 3" dump...