PDA

View Full Version : VTEC Controllers

integra95
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Looking at buying a DC5R soon and one of the mods i was thinking of straight away was a VTEC controller.

Now my question is, is just a vtec controller alone on a DC5R going to put unneeded stress on the engine or does the Type R have strong enough internals for it. Should I replace anything with upgraded parts?

Another question, whats the difference between say, Apexi VAFC (just a straight VTEC controller), and a product computer like Hondata or Microtech? Will i get benefits more out of a computer or vtec controller on a Type R.

:thumbsup:

turbo convert
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
ok my opinion is that i wouldn't waste my time with the vtec controller nor the v-afc its more a novilty, especially not a first up mod, Honda spend many more dollars to engineer there cross over points and blah blah, i personally wouldn't change it especially a stocko.
As for Hondata and Microtech, you would opt for these two of the other two above, as a stand alone ecu, but once again i would be doing engine mods first, I/h/e even cams etc before crossing over to one of these options, but this is only my opinion to modifying.................goodluck:wave:

aaronng
07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
A vtec controller without any change in ECU mapping is a waste of time and money. You will end up losing more mid-range power/torque.

integra95
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Ok so it sounds like ill forget the ECU side of things for the time being and look at E/H/I to get me going.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

aaronng
07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Ok so it sounds like ill forget the ECU side of things for the time being and look at E/H/I to get me going.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Maybe a K100 or Kpro down the line after you have gotten your I/H/E. You get all your ECU tuning plus the ability to alter vtec point.

integra95
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
The main reason i looked at vte4c controllers was because of the lack of torque that the DC5 has. I thought that if you could adjust the vtec setting to kick in earlier then they may help the torque concerns. What that i misconception?

How can i increase the torque?

CRXer
07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
grand,grand,grand misconception...........

to increase torque,prepare your wallet for a major raping or go forced induction

aaronng
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
The main reason i looked at vte4c controllers was because of the lack of torque that the DC5 has. I thought that if you could adjust the vtec setting to kick in earlier then they may help the torque concerns. What that i misconception?

How can i increase the torque?

Like CRXer says, you got fooled by vtec wannabes. vtec doesn't give you power or torque. It just changes the cam profile, which is optimised for a particular RPM range. For a lot more torque, get a turbo. For a little bit more torque, get good headers.

integra95
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
excellent cheers for the comments