PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] 12" Sub - Audio installation

xsite85
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi guys, i recently purchased a new euro 08 luxury + sat nav and received a sub box with 2 slots for 12 inchs (subs haven't been purchased as of yet), and it fits perfectly.

I have just 3 questions on how to make it work

firstly, what would i need to connect my 12" subs to the nav system? any DIY or threads that can show me how it's done.

secondly, what are good quality 12" subs around on the market?

thirdly, If i eventually convert my sat nav to dvd player/tv tuner will it also work?

:o

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM
secondly, what are good quality 12" subs around on the market?
How much are you looking at spending? There are so many good ones out there, but depends on your $$$ range.

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Also, you want for SPL? SQ?

xsite85
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
How much are you looking at spending? There are so many good ones out there, but depends on your $$$ range.

i'm looking to spend a package around $600 - $1000 which includes 2 x 12" + 2 amps

SPL, SQ?.. sorry i'm confused

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 03:52 PM
SQ = sound quality
SPL = real loud noise

SQ is what I like, but some people enjoy loud noise.

For $1000, you will be able to get a decent twin Alpine type R set up.
Amplifiers don't matter that much, as long as they put out decent power. Jaycar have some very decent amplifiers for cheap. They have a 1000w amp for less than $400. That is all you'll need for 2 subs. You will still have quite a few $$$ left in your pocket.

xsite85
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
SQ FTW!!

i hate the sound of boot rattle

reading from other threads don't i need like a converter or would it be worth while to install a new deck?

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
You don't need to install a new deck, but you might want to for the extra features you get with a new deck.

You can get a new panel that replaces the panel when you replace the stock head unit. I'll try and find it for you. Looks factory!

My mate (Perth Euro) just put his head unit in the lower storage console.

I don't know about converter (I think you will), but I'm sure others will chime in. Any decent stereo shop could do your install for you in no time at all. There was an article in autosalon about installing subwoofer in Euro, I'll try and find that for you too. You might have some luck searching the yanky TSX forums as well.

xsite85
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
would be nice if i could install Pioneer AVIC-Z2 "another bright idea HONDA!!"

there is so much i want to do.. yet too scared to change on a new vehicle.

must be a way that we can alter the nav dvd else where!!

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I think with pioneer head units, you can get a kit to make use of the steering wheel buttons too.

Here is the panel kits info:
http://www.scosche.com/scosche.caraudio

They make all sorts of integration stuff too.

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283229
Good sub installation info.

xsite85
07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
thanks for the link type R

it does kinda defeats the purpose of having a nav system

can we cross over storage consoles? as in change the DVD nav system from upper storage console to lower console?

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I would think you could mate. Might be some custom work involved though.
Would be a good little project for sure!

xsite85
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
i'll visit honda shortly to have afew words with them..

maybe get some ideas,

i've got a little project underway,

installing my mugen 2006 sports grill, i'll post some pictures of my progress

Type R Positive
07-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I dont think Honda will be much help.
But I think nav unit can be retrofitted to other spec's, so I don't see why you couldn't put it where you want.

xsite85
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
tax return time woohoo!!

i'll ask around, thanks type R

tony1234
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Go to a good car audio shop.IMO 2x12" subs is overkill in a Euro.Not to mention loss of boot space.I've got a 10" powered by a 120RMS amp and it's good enough.

xsite85
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
obviously tony1234

just needed some suggestions of what to do. The box i released fits perfectly with plently of boot space for daily use.

anyone have threads or DIY on how to install 2 subs into the nav system?

btw tony, how much did you spend on your 120RMS amp?

tony1234
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
obviously tony1234

just needed some suggestions of what to do. The box i released fits perfectly with plently of boot space for daily use.

anyone have threads or DIY on how to install 2 subs into the nav system?

btw tony, how much did you spend on your 120RMS amp?
It's only a Kenwood,$180 i think.

tron07
09-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Go to a proper installer.... from you posting, you have no car audio exprience at all... and you dont want to damage your brand new car.

tony1234
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Go to a proper installer.... from you posting, you have no car audio exprience at all... and you dont want to damage your brand new car.
I agree.Pay the extra for professional install.If you do it yourself you run the risk of fcuking something up.

davec
09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
great advice there Type R Positive.. for SQ, if you dont care about the brands too much, i can suggest to use a combination of jaycar subs and amps imo i reckon their the most bang for buck products out there.

xsite85
09-07-2008, 12:10 PM

you are so right!! i can imagine myself frying all the wires to my new ride... not a pretty sight at all

Pumped
09-07-2008, 12:49 PM
i had 2 x 12's in the euro, wasn't what i'd call overkill and i still had some boot space, but 1 small boxed quality sub (IDMAX 10 etc) would be ideal
a dd9515 in my car before the euro was probably overkill lol

The euro is a pretty easy car to install in, the boot is a bit annoying how its not flat but otherwise its alright :)

xsite85
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
just received a quote a custom fliberglass sub box for a euro is $500 each

i guess that would give abit more boot space,

JetLee
09-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Before modifying or replacing any OEM components make sure to do some solid research to see what components are available to enhance the OEM system. JL Audio have a good range of OEM system enhancers, to allow you to retain the original multifunction headunit. Check the link below:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94

They have components that will take the original headunits speaker outputs, allow you to filter the quality and use RCA output. Ideal for the application of aftermarket amplifiers and componentry. Also consider getting a remote subwoofer volume control, especially since the factory headunit does not have subwoofer output control. This will take a single RCA input, and split the signal into 2, allowing independant volume control of 1 of the signals. Good luck with the install!! I also recommend doing some research in regard to what power cables you intend to run through your vehicle from the battery. Are you intending on expanding the number of amplifiers? If so, I recommend using 4 gauge cable from the battery to the boot, then use 8 guage to run each amplifier from here. Good luck!

Type R Positive
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Yep JetLee, solid info!
There are quite a few manufacturers making those like rockford fosgate.

Kiwi
10-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Just make your own fibreglass sub box.. mine cost me less than $200 to make and fits well, takes up very little space which makes it nice and wife freindly :). Rear seats still move forward independently too even with the amp rack. There also a Phoenix Gold 30 band EQ and Crossover up under the parcel shelf so you cant see it.

If you want any tips or build pics just let me know. PS. Even though I've been in the Car Audio scene for a while, this was my first install and first play with fibreglass.

Here's a pic.

xsite85
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Just make your own fibreglass sub box.. mine cost me less than $200 to make and fits well, takes up very little space which makes it nice and wife freindly :). Rear seats still move forward independently too even with the amp rack. There also a Phoenix Gold 30 band EQ and Crossover up under the parcel shelf so you cant see it.

If you want any tips or build pics just let me know. PS. Even though I've been in the Car Audio scene for a while, this was my first install and first play with fibreglass.

Here's a pic.

kiwi that looks pretty soild, do you have any more pictures?

tony1234
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM

Here's a pic.
Nice sub box.Where are you located?If in sydney would you be interested in making one for me?If so how much?I have a 10"sub.PM me.............thanks.

Kiwi
11-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Tony,

Sorry not really interested in making anymore. I was going to make a mould in case someone else wanted one.. but in the end I decided I'd go for the easy option and just finish off the job and move on. I've got plenty of build pics if anyone wants a step by step on how to do it.