PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] pedal vibrations

unity
07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Does any one feel pulses/vibrations through the pedals as the AC/climate control system goes on and off?
I notice this both while driving and while idle.
Any ideas what is causing the vibrations?
Thanks in advance.

aaronng
07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
AC lines are connected to the chassis. Any vibrations go through the chassis. Pedals are connected to the firewall, which is in turn connected to the chassis. Hence the vibrations get transferred to the pedals.

unity
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
So is there any fix to this?

SPQR
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
So is there any fix to this?

I did not have this problem when I first bought my car but I've had this problem in my car for a few years now. It feels unrefined. The local dealer had a good go at fixing it to no avail.

I had a Honda head kicker up from Brisbane a couple of years ago who took me for a drive in my own car: He acknowledged the problem; said it was common; told me that the Euro is a sporty car; that I should expect some lack of refinement; and then told me that they weren't going to do anything about it. The fact that the car did not have the problem when I first bought it did not figure much in his mind.

It comes and goes now for no explicable reason depending on the weather, my attitude, and Sun spots. I live with it.

Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

unity
08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I did not have this problem when I first bought my car but I've had this problem in my car for a few years now. It feels unrefined. The local dealer had a good go at fixing it to no avail.

I had a Honda head kicker up from Brisbane a couple of years ago who took me for a drive in my own car: He acknowledged the problem; said it was common; told me that the Euro is a sporty car; that I should expect some lack of refinement; and then told me that they weren't going to do anything about it. The fact that the car did not have the problem when I first bought it did not figure much in his mind.

It comes and goes now for no explicable reason depending on the weather, my attitude, and Sun spots. I live with it.

Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Is it common to the euro? I have struggled to find other reports of this problem. I can't see how it can be normal if it never happened from the start. My car is only 6 weeks old so all I can hope for is that it goes away or gets picked up on subsequent services.

unity
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Is rough idling also related? Especially when the car is started for the first 10 minutes?

george9888
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Unity, I've got the same problem with the pedals vibrating for like a second when turning on AC. And i don't know whether its a minority of us that get it or not. Got a 05 Lux Auto. Cheers

viper8548
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Same problem, had the problem since new.

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
cant feel a thing when you have ETD.

tony1234
08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Hmm,i don't have it.

biee2
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
you can also feel the same vibrations when the fans start up if any one noticed....well on mine i can feel the vibrations when the fans start up

this is the reason i hate using the a/c....also makes the car feel lik its struggling when the a/c is on

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
you can also feel the same vibrations when the fans start up if any one noticed....well on mine i can feel the vibrations when the fans start up

this is the reason i hate using the a/c....also makes the car feel lik its struggling when the a/c is on

lol i havent felt that problem in a while since i've got Ur pulley kit.

unity
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM

What is ETD?

unity
08-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Yes I notice that too when the radiator fan goes on and off. Does the fan go on and off at the same time as the compressor?
I can't do without the AC, especially during the summer. Maybe if we wore shock absorbing shoes we would not feel the vibrations as much. But this wont fix the sluggishness

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
What is ETD?
Engine torque damper - it reduces engine from rocking which then transfers torque direct to the wheels without much loss. Also acts similiar to an engine mount.

SPQR
08-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Is it common to the euro? I have struggled to find other reports of this problem. I can't see how it can be normal if it never happened from the start. My car is only 6 weeks old so all I can hope for is that it goes away or gets picked up on subsequent services.

I think aaronng's explanation (on page 1) is probably correct. Is it common? I don't know. It's what the Honda dissent extinguisher (aka head kicker) told me. But car companies use the "it's common" or "it's normal" tactic to get out of fixing things. Finding other reports is difficult (see my penultimate paragraph below).

Probably because of all the vibrations that get transferred directly from the engine (bypassing the fancy engine mounts).

Yes I notice that too when the radiator fan goes on and off. Does the fan go on and off at the same time as the compressor?
I can't do without the AC, especially during the summer. Maybe if we wore shock absorbing shoes we would not feel the vibrations as much. But this wont fix the sluggishness

The fan does start when the compressor clutch engages. The problem is probably not noticed so much in the milder climates of the southern cities where most of you live. But "up" here in Darwin, AC is a must not only because of the temperature (which rarely exceeds 33 degrees), but the high humidity. Some cars are still available without AC but it is impossible to buy a car without AC in Darwin. The dealers just won't sell you one.

I've learned to love the old bomb. Almost time for a new car.

unity
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Engine torque damper - it reduces engine from rocking which then transfers torque direct to the wheels without much loss. Also acts similiar to an engine mount.

How much is one of these? Is installing and ETD something honda would complain about and try to void one's warranty?
SPQR, did you install and ETD on your car? And if you did did you notice any difference?

Crapdaz
09-07-2008, 06:26 AM
How much is one of these? Is installing and ETD something honda would complain about and try to void one's warranty?
SPQR, did you install and ETD on your car? And if you did did you notice any difference?

your looking about $200-Alot depending on what brand you go for.
They shouldnt complain cause it doesnt really affect the car, BUT if it does damage your brakelines due to clearance problems then yes would void warranty.

Cause as aaronng has mentioned to me before that the brakelines are handmade to shape so each car has slight variance, some with good clearance some with not so good clearance.

aaronng
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

I can't feel the AC as well because I have the ETD. EVERYTHING vibrates. hahahha. You're welcome to come and sit in my mobile vibrator.

aaronng
09-07-2008, 10:22 AM

ETD adds additional vibrations. It is not for reducing vibrations. :)
Have you checked if your front hydraulic engine mount is worn/damaged?
Check the silver A/C lines, you'll notice that where it is mounted to the chassis, it is wrapped with foam tape. The tape might be worn and not providing any damping.

Crapdaz
09-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I can't feel the AC as well because I have the ETD. EVERYTHING vibrates. hahahha. You're welcome to come and sit in my mobile vibrator.
true to that, if you gently touch the pedal with your foot it feels so good!!! :thumbsup:

tony1234
09-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Mobile vibrator hmmm.Maybe i should get a ETD.:p

Crapdaz
09-07-2008, 10:35 AM
hahah it'll make you want 2 o2g@z]\/[

but as said on the topic for poster, unless your pedal is violently shaking then you know you've got a problem. Slight vibrations is normal, to be transferred through chassis. Otherwise check all lines/bolts that are bolting down components such as the Ac line brackets.

aaronng
09-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Reminds me of Monday's Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson brought in the vibrating seat and got a pretty nice chick to try it on his captain's chair. ahha

unity
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try and see what I can locate. If not atleast the Honda service people are willing to have a look. I'll keep you posted if anything shows up.

unity
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Unity, I've got the same problem with the pedals vibrating for like a second when turning on AC. And i don't know whether its a minority of us that get it or not. Got a 05 Lux Auto. Cheers

Same problem, had the problem since new.

Did Honda service do anything to try and fix this?

unity
14-07-2008, 02:35 PM
The CU2 Auto Lxry Nav does this too ever so slightly. Obviously this might be normal but I think my CL9 does it too much.
Guys, try switching the A/C on and off while you are driving. See if you feel a vibration or pulse going down the pedals (both break and accelerator).
You may have to concentrate on this but im sure you will/may feel it.
I know my new 2008 Civic Vti does not!!

hassanshahab
14-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I feel it from the first day in my Euro 06 manual, never thought it was a problem living with it.

unity
14-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I feel it from the first day in my Euro 06 manual, never thought it was a problem living with it.

Yes, over time its possible to get used to just about anything. But it's annoying and just feels unnatural. It has not happened in other Honda cars we have owned. It would be like the steering wheel shaking all the time. It spoils a comfortable ride.

viper8548
15-07-2008, 02:17 AM

Yeah exactly same situation here, I'm happy as long as my clutch wont creak anytime soon lol

tron07
15-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Reminds me of Monday's Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson brought in the vibrating seat and got a pretty nice chick to try it on his captain's chair. ahha

that is season 10... last year's episode :p

hassanshahab
15-07-2008, 04:23 PM

but ... that nice chick enjoyed it alot. here the case is opposite :confused: