PDA

View Full Version : Tyre rotation caused loud driving conditions

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I had an issue where my car would shake when braking at high speeds, over 100km/hr. I had the discs machined and brake pads replaced and now its all good, but they also rotated the back wheels to the front and now normal driving is really loud. Especially around 100km/hr. The noise is like the sound of the wheels rotating which gets louder as you drive faster.

I called the mechanic and he says its just the tyres and he can rotate them back if i like. New tyres will fix the problem they said, anyone know if this is true???

davey
08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
have you check they tightened up all the lugs

racerwannabe
08-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Did they balance the front wheels when they changed them to the front? I was advised by the techy that this is important when you rotate tyres. Also are the front and rear tyres the same make and model and age?

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
normally it shouldnt make more noise.
can you explain the noise in words clunking, rubbing, what sort of sound does it make?

check your lugnuts if they have come loose, do you have anything stuck in between the tread of the tyres?

tony1234
08-07-2008, 06:18 PM
The front tyres must be more worn than the rears(this is after the rotation).Check if this is the case.Some tyre brands/types/profiles are noisier than others.

EGJOE
08-07-2008, 06:23 PM
They probably bumped the brake dust cover on one of your wheels. The dust cover is most likely scrubing up against your disc.

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
normally it shouldnt make more noise.
can you explain the noise in words clunking, rubbing, what sort of sound does it make?

check your lugnuts if they have come loose, do you have anything stuck in between the tread of the tyres?

Its like a deep humming sound and as the tyres spin faster it gets louder.

I'm taking back my car tommorrow morning and they said they'll rotate the wheels back again, but if i got something else i can mention to the mech let me know? Cause i doubt its the tyres making the noise

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
The mech did say the back tyres were more worn than the front and now the back wheels are on the front. And no they didnt balance the wheels, all they did was rotate.

tony1234
08-07-2008, 06:38 PM
The mech did say the back tyres were more worn than the front and now the back wheels are on the front. And no they didnt balance the wheels, all they did was rotate.
Like i said before i'll bet that's your problem.not much you can do except replace the worn fronts with new tyres or swap them back.What brand tyre are they?

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

If you stated as above, that means the more worn tyres are on the front.

If that is correct then i suggest you to change them back with more tread on the front wheels as that is dangerous for you or whoever is driving the car.

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Like i said before i'll bet that's your problem.not much you can do except replace the worn fronts with new tyres or swap them back.What brand tyre are they?

Ok. They're both Nankang on the front and Ventus on the back.

EGJOE
08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
cheap tyres thats your problem

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM

yeh rofl, first time my mate told me he was running nankang on his skyline. I was like WTF are they.

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 07:30 PM

$220 each tyre i dont think is very cheap, they're 19" wheels by the way.

The tyres have lasted a while and no i dont drive like an old women lol i give em a run for their money.

EGJOE
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
$220 for 19inch tyre that cheap thats how much you pay for half decent 15 inch tyres.
Ventus are alright tyres though, depending on model.
i had kumho on my 19' tyre package i got from tempe they weren't bad.

Cheers
JOE

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
$220 for 19inch tyre that cheap thats how much you pay for half decent 15 inch tyres.
Ventus are alright tyres though, depending on model.
i had kumho on my 19' tyre package i got from tempe they weren't bad.

Cheers
JOE

Well they do the job for me, i'm not racing professionally or anything that needs expensive top quality tyres. I'm thinking of getting rid of the 19" wheels and go down to 18's, i'm over the chrome and wanna get shadow chrome or even black. Can you or anyone recommend wheel places in sydney area? i've been to tempe so any other places would be cool.

Btw thanks for all the replies people.

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Well they do the job for me, i'm not racing professionally or anything that needs expensive top quality tyres. I'm thinking of getting rid of the 19" wheels and go down to 18's, i'm over the chrome and wanna get shadow chrome or even black. Can you or anyone recommend wheel places in sydney area? i've been to tempe so any other places would be cool.

Btw thanks for all the replies people.
the extra money on quality tyres could be the difference from life + death.
sorry to exagerate but yeh. Helps in stopping power,traction etc. and for spirited driving.

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
the extra money on quality tyres could be the difference from life + death.
sorry to exagerate but yeh. Helps in stopping power,traction etc. and for spirited driving.

I understand what you mean, and if my current tyres were dangerous and didnt handle well believe me i would spend more and get better tyres. But like i said i've given these a run both in stopping power and traction around corners etc and they go well.

Crapdaz
08-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I understand what you mean, and if my current tyres were dangerous and didnt handle well believe me i would spend more and get better tyres. But like i said i've given these a run both in stopping power and traction around corners etc and they go well.

well as long as they make you happy. :thumbsup:

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
i'll be happy once i find new wheels :) i wanna get 18's in shadow chrome or black. Can you recommend any wheel places in syd? I wanna do some wheel shopping this weekend.

What do you guys think of these wheels?

panda[cRx]
08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
how many kms have the tyres done?

it'd just be caused by shitty tyres and possible scalloping if they have a bit of wear on them

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
;1798110']how many kms have the tyres done?

it'd just be caused by shitty tyres and possible scalloping if they have a bit of wear on them

the tyres have done a few thousand kms so there is some wear

SPQR
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
And no they didnt balance the wheels, all they did was rotate.

Before you do anything else, get the tyres balanced properly. IMO, a mechanic not balancing or not organising a balance for at least the front tyres at rotation is unprofessional.

I have experienced out-of-balance front tyres as the cause of vibration and noise at around 100km/h; usually after a dud balance, in which case I go straight back and ask for a rebalance by another person. That cures the problem.

E_Honda
08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Before you do anything else, get the tyres balanced properly. IMO, a mechanic not balancing or not organising a balance for at least the front tyres at rotation is unprofessional.

I have experienced out-of-balance front tyres as the cause of vibration and noise at around 100km/h; usually after a dud balance, in which case I go straight back and ask for a rebalance by another person. That cures the problem.

The noise is heard even at low speeds like 60km/h just louder at higher speeds. When i go back tommorrow morning i'll get them to do a balance.

aaronng
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok. They're both Nankang on the front and Ventus on the back.
Agreed with EGJOE. Cheap tyres are noisy and rough when worn, plus, you now have worn tyres on your front which makes it worse.

E_Honda
09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Agreed with EGJOE. Cheap tyres are noisy and rough when worn, plus, you now have worn tyres on your front which makes it worse.

Just came back from the mechanics, they rotated the wheels back and the noise is gone. So yep confirms its the tyres, and i saw they are worn pretty bad on the inside of the tyre which explains why theres no noise at all, the nankangs that were making the noise were full of tred and obviously cheap tyres. So all u guys were right, cheers.

I'm definitely going wheel shopping this weekend, no point of buying new tyres for my current wheels when im gonna get rid of them.

tron07
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Had a leak yesterday so I rotated the spare out when I went to patch the front right.

tim-e
09-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Check that all the tyres are installed on the rims correctly, ie the tyre's rotation arrow points appropriately for rolling forward. One of my tyres was on the wrong way round when I bought my car.