PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Civic - head gasket gone?

mbdownunder
10-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi everyone. So I was on my way to work this morning when the engine suddenly died and wouldn't start. I was able to coast into the Sunnybank Plaza carpark (for those of you who know where that is). I'm pretty sure the head gasket is gone because the oil definitely seems watery on the dipstick and under the fill cap. A couple questions:

What is a reasonable price to fix the head gasket and change the timing belt (it's due for it)?

Is there anything else that should be done at the same time? Maybe the water pump?

I'll probably be getting the work done at the Kmart auto place. Definitely not my first choice, but it's either that or pay for it to be towed somewhere else.

Any suggestions or expertise would be very appreciated!

Mark

fatboyz39
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Sounds like headgasket. Since its in the process, change timing belt, tensioner, water pump and front main seal.

Pm barefootbonazi, he might be able to help out a fellow queenlander.

ralph_ef9
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
when u finish the head job do a pressure test to ur cooling system,
last time it happen to me, after the pressure test, i found the pressure drop becouse my raditor leaks, and heater core leaks.
because, there must be a rason make ur engine over heat!
also, check ur fan is working or not, and themostart.

mbdownunder
11-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Well the funny thing is it never overheated. The temp gauge has never been above half way. Kmart quoted $1,300 to $2,000 depending on the condition of the head. That's to do everything fotboyz39 suggested. I sent a PM to teh_mechanic because I know he does repairs in Brisbane. So far no reply. Does Kmart's price sound reasonable?

Mark

shadou
11-07-2008, 08:25 AM
oh bad luck, I wouldn't trust k-mart mechs with more than a wheel rotations, I've seen some pretty butchered jobs from k-mart auto in the past..

aaronng
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't trust Kmart or Ultratune with a job of this type. I'd rather trust an experienced no-name workshop.

teh_mechanic
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
pm sent

panda[cRx]
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't trust Kmart or Ultratune with a job of this type. I'd rather trust an experienced no-name workshop.

x2

wouldn't even trust em for straight book service, let alone major repairs

mbdownunder
26-07-2008, 10:31 PM
UPDATE:

I have to give a huge thank you to Brendan (aka teh_mechanic). He did tons of work on the car for a great price. Top quality work too. I got the car back this afternoon and it runs beautifully. If you live in the Brisbane/Logan area I HIGHLY recommend Brendan for any mechanical work. :thumbsup: So glad I didn't let Kmart touch it!

I'll hopefully meet more of you at one of the next gatherings. :wave:

Mark

SuiJin
26-07-2008, 10:35 PM
i got quoted about a grand to rip out the engine n change the gasket.

cristian
27-07-2008, 11:19 AM
i got quoted about a grand to rip out the engine n change the gasket.

u could probably buy a second hand d15 and have it put in the car for that price...

teh_mechanic
28-07-2008, 06:24 PM
thanks mate
pleasure doing business with you
glad to get another honda back out on the streets

take care

[Mo]
28-10-2013, 12:39 AM
thanks mate
pleasure doing business with you
glad to get another honda back out on the streets

take care

Hey man could you help us out I think my head gasket is going on a CRX. Pm me

dougie_504
30-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Mo,

Why do you think your HG is on the way out? And what engine do you have?

Very common for the B16 engines.