PDA

View Full Version : 88 Civic Timing Belt Change - Need Advice

dicko
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

I've got an '88 civic, single cam, non Vtec.

I'm trying to replace two oil seals at the moment. One is located behind the cam sproket and the other behind the harmonic balencer. I'm also replacing the timing belt.

I've got to the point where I've undone everything except the harmonic ballencer and the cam sproket.

What would the best way to do this be? I'm paranoid I'll ruin the timing.

Cheers.

cristian
12-07-2008, 01:02 AM
turn the crank until u've got dead top on the 4th piston, then mark the cam to point up...that way when u put the new belt back on just adjust the crank again until u have dead top on the same measured piston and turn the cam so that the marker is in the same position as it was...

teh_mechanic
14-07-2008, 10:43 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36199

thats a video done by ecu-man on changing timing belt.

im sure you will find a nifty way to remove the crank bolt halfway through the video.

other than that,i always just use my gun,so im not much help for diy crank bolt issues

dumped echo
18-07-2008, 08:09 PM
yeah i've seen the "smack it as hard as you can" method to get it off. But what about getting it re-torqued back up?

ECU-MAN
21-07-2008, 09:01 AM
do it bacl up with and airgun, if you dont have an air gun then smack your breakeker bar with a mallet a few time to make sure she is tight. never use locktight...