PDA

View Full Version : Lighten Flywheel in my car?

VTec1987
13-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Anyone have any comment about having a lighter flywheel in there car?
Advantages & disadvantages?

I want to know ppls experience on it before i install it.

Thanks

markoJEK1
13-07-2008, 09:26 PM
One of the better mods for your car is the lightened flywheel imo, good for drivetrain. For advantages : faster revving = creates more power quicker, its not a hassle to get used to like some people imply or think, you will like the difference in response from the motor with it, as for disadvantages all I can think of is if you rev match ( if you are that type of driver ) the car wont slow down with the gears as noticably as the heavier flywheel? If you want to call that a disadvantage? and perhaps the cost of getting it installed if you aren't doing it yourself.

VTec1987
13-07-2008, 09:32 PM
thanks for quick reply
Been researching and some ppl say that you need to rev a bit higher to get the car moving or else you stall.

Is that true?

markoJEK1
13-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Nope, there is no difference what so ever, I'd like to know what type of setup they have in their cars for that to be neccessary, if anything you will over rev for a while before you get used to its raising rate compared to the heavier flywheel

VTec1987
13-07-2008, 09:38 PM
So you have one in your car?
how does it feel for daily driving

markoJEK1
13-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Yes I am running toda lightened flywheel, its normal, there isnt much noticable difference other than quicker rev, you dont need to alter any part of your driving style to 'make it work' with a ligthened flywheel.

VTec1987
13-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info buddy.

Anyone else?

string
13-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I saved 4.5kg when changing over my clutch and flywheel and definitely need more revs to take off.

It's not a problem for me but it might be annoying for some.

thaizeg
13-07-2008, 09:50 PM
search search search search...
this has been posted b4..

havin a lightened flywheel will help u transfer more power to the ground as less is being loss for the flywheel to rotate its own weight ..
pretty much the less weight u carry.. the better ur acceleration... u dont gain any power from it

u dont really have to rev higher just need to get used to it as the revs also drop faster as well as rev up faster..

IMHO clutch lightened flywheel and a 4.7 FD would be very nice for daily driving.. nothin to hardcore

aaronng
13-07-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks for quick reply
Been researching and some ppl say that you need to rev a bit higher to get the car moving or else you stall.

Is that true?

It did on mine. Previously, I could take off using 1500rpm. With the lightened flywheel, as soon as I slip the clutch, the revs drop from 1500rpm to about 500rpm and almost stalls.. So now I give it more throttle up to 2000rpm and take off.

damienm
13-07-2008, 10:17 PM
It did on mine. Previously, I could take off using 1500rpm. With the lightened flywheel, as soon as I slip the clutch, the revs drop from 1500rpm to about 500rpm and almost stalls.. So now I give it more throttle up to 2000rpm and take off.

was there a noticeable difference in acceleration?
cheers

aaronng
13-07-2008, 10:21 PM
was there a noticeable difference in acceleration?
cheers

There is a difference at low and mid RPM where the car feels as if it has more torque. However, at high RPM, it feels no different to the stock heavy flywheel. So it is great for regular commuting where you are usually at 2000-3000rpm.

VTec1987
13-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks you guys
Do i need to consider anything else when install flywheel, is it just bolt on and play or do need to set it on a certain point?

aaronng
13-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks you guys
Do i need to consider anything else when install flywheel, is it just bolt on and play or do need to set it on a certain point?
Make sure you get a clutch diameter that matches your flywheel. For my car, there were 2 possible different sizes, one for K20A and another for K24A, so I had to make sure both were the matching diameter. Another option is to balance the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel.

VTec1987
14-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Is that all i need to consider, i got a Flywheel + Clutch package so im pretty sure it will be the right one.

So its pretty much plug and play

civic88
14-07-2008, 12:08 AM
its a great upgrade i got one in my eg revs excellent the only disadvantage is that its too good

VTECMACHINE
14-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Hasn't this been covered?

But yes... very worth while mod. Engine braking and throttle response is noticably increased. As mentioned, you'll need a bit more revs to pull off. Not much at all... maybe 200RPM or so. Didn't affect daily driving at all.

aaronng
14-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Is that all i need to consider, i got a Flywheel + Clutch package so im pretty sure it will be the right one.

So its pretty much plug and play

Also, replace your clutch release bearing and make sure you lube up the input shaft bearing.

HondaLva
14-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I ran a Toda one in my VTI-R Teg. Great mod! Once you feel the weight of the std one....wow!

these are really good on honda's which from the get go dont produce much torque. So the less rotating mass the more efficient the engine : )

Yep combined with an ATS FD would make for an awesome setup!!

00dc2
14-07-2008, 03:36 PM
does anyone know if when they hand balanced the DC2R's engine whether they did it with the flywheel on? Cos if they did then wouldnt swapping the flywheel for a non stock flywheel upset the balance?

or are flywheels VERY VERY balanced and make d!ck all difference to any engine balance?

aaronng
14-07-2008, 05:53 PM
does anyone know if when they hand balanced the DC2R's engine whether they did it with the flywheel on? Cos if they did then wouldnt swapping the flywheel for a non stock flywheel upset the balance?

I doubt the flywheel is balanced to the piston, rods and crank. Think about it, you have 2 pistons and rods going up, and 2 going down, plus one of the pistons is having a controlled explosion pushing it downwards with more force than the other 3. Don't think you can balance the flywheel to that. The only balancing you'd probably do is when you mate the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel.

K20A DC5
14-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Wonder if it has negative effects on top end speeds or downhill situations?

Itd deff be better for accel and uphill...wouldnt have as much inertia though to carry speed,either may, itd probably be minimal.

markoJEK1
14-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd think that the weight of the car would contribute more so to its intertia down hill then a lightened flywheel?

aaronng
14-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Wonder if it has negative effects on top end speeds or downhill situations?

Itd deff be better for accel and uphill...wouldnt have as much inertia though to carry speed,either may, itd probably be minimal.
This is not true. I think it is only video games that use that and the loss of ability to accelerate uphill as the disadvantage of lightweight flywheels.

Your top end speed is limited by your gear ratio, wind resistance and enough power to overcome that wind resistance.

Zilli
14-07-2008, 07:10 PM
a great mod...do it... i got Toda in mine

dsp26
14-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I doubt the flywheel is balanced to the piston, rods and crank. Think about it, you have 2 pistons and rods going up, and 2 going down, plus one of the pistons is having a controlled explosion pushing it downwards with more force than the other 3. Don't think you can balance the flywheel to that. The only balancing you'd probably do is when you mate the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel.

interesting that.. coz i'm wondering why on every car, front crank seal leak/wear is always attributed to the presence of light underdrive crank pulley.... so i thought these would go weel with a light fly to "balance things out"?

aaronng
14-07-2008, 07:33 PM
interesting that.. coz i'm wondering why on every car, front crank seal leak/wear is always attributed to the presence of light underdrive crank pulley.... so i thought these would go weel with a light fly to "balance things out"?

That's because you are replacing the crank pulley with an aftermarket item. With the B, D and I think H series, the crank pulley has a built in harmonic balancer that is not present on the aftermarket pulley. Even if you got a lightweight flywheel with the lightweight crank pulley, the crank seal will still wear out.

With a K series, you can use an aftermarket crank pulley with no problems because it doesn't have a harmonic balancer.

Jase
15-07-2008, 09:54 AM
It is an excellent mod to do!!

The third best mod I did ( After Hondata Kpro and Function XS coilovers)

dsp26
15-07-2008, 03:40 PM
That's because you are replacing the crank pulley with an aftermarket item. With the B, D and I think H series, the crank pulley has a built in harmonic balancer that is not present on the aftermarket pulley. Even if you got a lightweight flywheel with the lightweight crank pulley, the crank seal will still wear out.

With a K series, you can use an aftermarket crank pulley with no problems because it doesn't have a harmonic balancer.

makes sense.. the other engines i was thinking off have a harmonic balancer too except the 4age i think...

Because we (pulsar group of australia) spoke to a "Brett" at Go Fast Bits and they were unaware of this issue since no-one ever said anything to them. Only reason he found out and joined our forum explaining aspects was coz he was looking for reviews on the net for their product....

I'm not sure what ever became of it or if they found a way to combat it...

RSX_DC5R
17-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but what type/brand you guys would suggest to go for lightweight flywheel and clutch kit? Seen some brands such as ORC, SPOON, etc but not quite sure which one is the better one as I am thinking of getting one myself. Its for DC5R.

I am currently have only basic bolt on mods i.e. I/H/E.

Cheers

BlitZ
18-07-2008, 09:47 AM

hahah learn to drive... 2000 rpm to take off on high torque euro

aaronng
18-07-2008, 12:05 PM
hahah learn to drive... 2000 rpm to take off on high torque euro

Hi torque? LOL! Go and drive one. You can't pull uphill at 1500rpm at 40km/h which you can do in a d16Y4.

VTECMACHINE
18-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi torque? LOL! Go and drive one. You can't pull uphill at 1500rpm at 40km/h which you can do in a d16Y4.

Yeah it's true... the gearing is quite different, and shit in a Euro. But awsome cars nevertheless.