PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing.. & car being too low

dupac->
14-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey just wondering..

I have a ek4 and ek1 both of them at some stage had needed to get their rear wheel bearings changed. it gets VERY noisy while driving.

i understand its wear and tear.. and seems very common in EK's for this to happen.. but what my question is...
(common coz it happened to both of my EK's lol)

- does the wheel bearing tend to go more coz the car is low camber etc?
- does it cause more stress or anything like that?
- maybe thats why they both went on my EK's?

any info would be good... anyone else experience this with EK's too?

Thanks Du

fatboyz39
14-07-2008, 04:11 PM
yes slamming your car will cause wheel bearing failure.

dupac->
14-07-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks jimmy.

i guess i better raise the car.

Mitchman
14-07-2008, 06:27 PM
lol that and more CV stress at the front!! I've replaced my CVs and now one wheel bearing is gone at the front

Zilli
14-07-2008, 07:14 PM
thanks jimmy.

nah!

LOL

small price to pay for slammage man...:thumbsup:

but yeh, it affects everything, from your suspension to bushes, to cv's which then go to you GB and wheel bearings... i have a feeling my front bearings are shot too

fatboyz39
14-07-2008, 07:42 PM
thanks jimmy.

I said slammed cars LOL...i wouldnt worry too much

dupac->
15-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I said slammed cars LOL...i wouldnt worry too much
lol it was slammed before the gay tri y's

and thats prob what made the bearing go..

doesnt cost much to fix.. but cbf doingit every time
lol

EKVTIR-T
15-07-2008, 01:43 PM
ye better go back to stock height
goot boy.

vinnY
15-07-2008, 01:44 PM
how much are the bearings anyway dude? might get the 4x114.3 refreshed before i whack them in the car :)

dupac->
15-07-2008, 01:58 PM
new wheel bearings are about $75-$100 each.

comes with the new hub thing, the wheel stud thingo

lol..

second hand are around $25

better off going new

EGB18CT
15-07-2008, 02:04 PM
^they would be like from cbc bearings yeh, not oem honda? as im going to do mine

vinnY
15-07-2008, 02:46 PM
the hell, can't you just change the bearing? not sure i can walk into any place and go 'hai, i'd like a 96spec itr wheel hub yo'
or can i? :o

fatboyz39
15-07-2008, 04:47 PM
the hell, can't you just change the bearing? not sure i can walk into any place and go 'hai, i'd like a 96spec itr wheel hub yo'
or can i? :o

good luck finding rear and front bearing for them ;)

Ericx
15-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Oh mate tell me about it. Type R rear bearings are going to cost me $600 for the pair. Anyone know a cheaper find?

vinnY
15-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I am not 100% sure about the rear but, I just replaced the front wheel bearing in my Dad's civic yesterday and it has the ITR suspension that is 4X114.3. I went to autozone.com and checked the part numbers on the wheel bearings and as far as I could tell the wheel bearing are the same even with a 2000 US type R with the 5 lug suspension. Also the Tegs that have ABS are the same part number as well.
Hope that this helps.

guess i better start hunting

dsp26
15-07-2008, 05:23 PM

eBay ftw everything for Honda is mass produced in the states... but seriously though my mobile mech has them. vinny if you need em i'll give you his number, prolly just sell it to you.... not from honda but oem

i learned how to do em after he charged me $300 total for parts and labour the first time... little did he know i watched soooooo carefully hehehe

vinnY
15-07-2008, 05:35 PM
just a precaution really, got the brake setup in my backyard in pieces so i got like 2 weeks to figure out how to pull it apart and put it back together and make sure its in all working order

any visual cues as to what the wear is like on the wheel bearings?

dsp26
15-07-2008, 05:49 PM
just a precaution really, got the brake setup in my backyard in pieces so i got like 2 weeks to figure out how to pull it apart and put it back together and make sure its in all working order

any visual cues as to what the wear is like on the wheel bearings?

you can feel it when you hand spin it... doesn't spin freely... even the slgihtest dent on one bearing inside can be felt if you pay enough attention when fondling it :p

vinnY
15-07-2008, 06:00 PM
will fondle it heaps ;)

have to hammer out the studs to fit extended studs anyway so i'll see how i go when i pull them apart soon

just thought it would be a good idea to replace the bearings while its all out of the car and not in use at the moment

dsp26
15-07-2008, 06:03 PM
will fondle it heaps ;)

have to hammer out the studs to fit extended studs anyway so i'll see how i go when i pull them apart soon

just thought it would be a good idea to replace the bearings while its all out of the car and not in use at the moment

you have a press at home too ay? wanna do my trailing arm bushes for cash :p seriously...?

Sir_vtec
15-07-2008, 06:13 PM
you need a press to remove the lug nut studs?

I used a old lug nut and put it on the stud and tapped it out with a hammer with some wd-40 to lub it.

Is there a trick to remove the lug nut stud? im having a hard time trying to free it from the hub. sorry its abit off topic.

vinnY
15-07-2008, 06:19 PM
nah ron no press here :) was just going to take it apart and get someone to press out and replace the bearings for me
if i had a press then i wouldn't care :p
came pretty close to buying a 6t one for about $160 but decided against it
been doing a bit of research on diy bushing replacement without a press and theres a few methods which are interesting(saved in pdf, pm me if you want them)

no need for a press with the studs, just a hammer like you have
check this place (http://www.ichibausa.com/aboutus.html) for a how-to on removing them, i was going to post it in your thread but i got lazy to find the link :p