anyone know if theres any difference? pros and cons? etc thanks

xtat1k
16-07-2008, 12:46 AM
easier to hide slim ones.
but im presuming theyre the same thing?
all does the same job..

kairi_k
16-07-2008, 01:21 AM
they work the same...slim-line for a stelath installaion..not sure how they compare in terms of longevity/performance etc.

_k

dtrang
16-07-2008, 02:11 AM
yeah my mate said something about less heat transfer or something just wanted more info. Just assumed they were the same. He got a kit off ebay and works good I'm getting same but slim ballast for 82 bux

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 08:29 AM
They work the same.

I sell both the normal sized ballasts and the slim ballasts. Personally, i prefer the slim over the normal size, as they're easier to install and conceal.

In terms of heat transfer, the normal ballasts don't have heat fins on them as the surface area is much greater than the slim ballasts (which do have heat fins).

Hope that helps.

PS. Careful with the ones on ebay, make sure you get local warranty.

dtrang
16-07-2008, 09:05 AM
yeah they have warranty and its the same brand as my mates and his is working great.

so is heat transfer a good thing or bad thing?

VTECMACHINE
16-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Good thing.

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 09:18 AM
yeah they have warranty and its the same brand as my mates and his is working great.

so is heat transfer a good thing or bad thing?

"heat transfer" to other parts of the car isn't a good thing. But "heat dissipation" is definately a good thing. You don't want your ballasts to be heat soaked, thus they need to stay relatively cool (or away from direct heat) to stay efficient.

Big ballasts = surface area = no need for heat fins
Slim ballasts = small surface area = need for heat fins

VTECACCORD
16-07-2008, 09:28 AM
You shouldn't be using those bulbs in normal headlights anyways.

If you want HID's do it properly and retrofit them in.

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 09:41 AM
If you are installing HID's into standard halogen reflector housings, make sure you lower your head light angle by 2-3 degrees. Find a level surface, have them turned on and lower the lights between 5-15cm from the original projected light height. This varies from vehicle to vehicle. S15's and Audi's with projector headlights is only lowered slightly, but with civics, lancers they are lowered a lot more. Just lower and then drive by and see if it's blinding. If it is, lower more until you remove most of the HID glare, but still allowing the car to light up the road infront.

i do this with all the cars i do. peace of mind.

VTECACCORD
16-07-2008, 09:50 AM
That doesn't really do anything, Halogen lights shoot light in every which ever direction so aiming them lower does nothing.

Not only do you blind people, but everyone knows you have a cheap HID kit in there and not the real thing. Looks like crap

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/haknslash2003/hid%20pics/thetruth.jpg

I made this pic for a future reference the next time some person swearing by kits tries to have "that" arguement. I get tired of trying to find pics to show them the 'light'l so to speak so this is my quick reference pic for them lol.

I was showing some people the TSX retro in a thread and one person commented on the following:

Got anything for people that wanna see things that are more than 2 feet off the road? Like.... signs for example.

I figured perhaps they just didn't know or understand that the step gets larger as more distnace is added, thus lighting signs at distance.

I then replied with this:

Well here's some driving video for you going down a road. Its not of the TSX's but it is of my TL retro in my SRT. http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=5889A495-B9E7-46B3-A8E9-6E6ECFAC2739

He then replied with this nonsense:

That doesn't throw light nearly as far as my stock headlights with PIAA bulbs, and the MP driving light kit. You coudln't even see the top half of that silver car that was parked at the beginning of the video.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) In my defense for retros:

Please post some pics of your awesome halogen distance lol. This I gotta see.

Your not supposed to be able to see over the cut-off (the silver car scene). Thats what makes HID projectors so much better than halogen reflectors. Just because you throw light up above there, doesn't mean thats a good thing. Thats glare my friend, the foe to oncomers.

dtrang
16-07-2008, 09:50 AM
yeah going into dc2 halogen reflector housings

VTECACCORD
16-07-2008, 09:54 AM
And another showing side by side cars.

The one on the right is a kit the one on the left is an oem retrofit.

When you say OEM vs KIT you are talking about the OEM ballast and bulbs agains aftermarket Ballast and bulbs?

I'm sorry but I don't understand.

no we talking about OEM hid like BMW and other that headlights or projectors that designed for HID. and KIT when we talking about ppl who put HID kit from ebay or other sites into stock headlights that were not designed for HID bulbs. doesnt matter if ballasts are oem or aftermarket in terms of light output, life expectancy maybe but mostly OEM will last longer

my TFX on left and HID kit in VW Jetta
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/sy272004/my%20TFX%20foglights/107_2309.jpg

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I definately agree that OEM HID's are the best way to go. I never said that they aren't the way to go. But, i'm giving advice to him with what he's got.

Yes, your points and examples are perfect and valid and yes, the projector (fish eye) headlights are the best when it comes to HIDs. Purely because the projectors have a cut off line (as seen on the previous page).

But, i will have to disagree with you saying that lowering the lights does nothing. Honestly, it does and with all the cars i've done, leaving it standard height level is just blinding. Lowering them did and does make a difference.

Question is, how much will it cost him to get OEM HID's or OEM projectors?

Oh, and when you do the leveling, do it on a level surface against a clean wall or surface too. eg: garage witht the car 1/2 outside and the opposite wall clean, so you can clearly see the levels when you lower the levels.

VTECACCORD
16-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Cost is roughly $600 plus time and labour I guess.

Thats how much my retrofit is costing me, still a work in progress.

dtrang
16-07-2008, 10:15 AM
yep thanks bruddas

Chris S15
16-07-2008, 10:16 AM
yeah going into dc2 halogen reflector housings

Hey dtrang,

Did you want to just do the HID kit conversion? Or did you want to change your actual headlight assembly and do a retro fit?

Chris

dtrang
16-07-2008, 01:52 PM
well just do the conversion atm haven't really thought about retro fit but post up details for other ppl who may be interested

vinnY
16-07-2008, 10:14 PM
back to the original question.. most slim hid kits are good for bikes as theres obviously way less space to hide stuff

would have been handy if my boss bothered to find some slim ballasts when we installed hid's on his bike