PDA

View Full Version : Write off car sale - where

lil4civ
16-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi all, i was recently in a car accident and the damage to my car has made the car un-drivable. Basically its damage done to the front of the car but seems like its just needs to get the radiator replace, the metal panel that holds the radiator and front bumper and the bonnet that needs to be repaired.
I was thinking instead of repairing the damage, to sell the whole car to the wreckers.
Does anyone know of any place the buys damage cars? Its a Honda Intergra DA9 1990. It was just recently repainted (Ferrari red color with black bonnet)and had front and back bodykits fitted. Such a waste. :thumbdwn:
Or do you think its better to repair it?

bennjamin
16-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Not here.

but try thee wreckers

New South Wales
Name: HONBITS (HONDA PARTS) PTY LTD
Phone: (02) 9725 2611
Web:
Address: 21a Chifley Rd Smithfield 2164
Desc: Honda reckers with frontcuts and various other Honda parts.

Name: Concord Spares - Parts Plus (link to original post)
Phone: (02) 8845 0020
Address: Rosehill 13 Grand Ave 2142
email: parts@perfectused.com
Desc: Honda, Mazda, Ford & Japanese Spares

Name: Hontoys
Address: 61 Larra St Yennora 2161
Phone: (02) 9681 3777
Desc: Honda reckers with frontcuts and various other Honda parts.

Zilli
16-07-2008, 11:39 AM
that would have been a financial T/L i would say, considering the car wouldnt have been insurered for more than 5k (stab in the dark) and repairs would have been pretty close to that amount. Do you know if it was a statutory write off? if so it cannot be repaired...

You will probably get 1k for the car from a wrecker i would say, and you probably been paid out the value of the car, lets assume 5k. If you pay a repairer cash and do a bit of the leg work yourself, ie. obtaining the parts etc you may be able to repair it with the cash you gained from your payout... i suppose it all depends on how much you like the car... if you have kept the car, i assume they gave you the car, but deducted a salvage value from your payout?

lil4civ
16-07-2008, 01:10 PM
The car was under 3rd party and the accident was my fault so I wouldn't get paid out.
I have a friend that looked at it briefly and said it seems like only the radiator needs replacing as it hasn't hit into the engine yet, so I think its not a total write off.
Thanks for your help.

incoming
16-07-2008, 01:16 PM
when i had accident we had the option of keeping the write off...
this was through NRMA and on 3rd party insurance...
accident was not my fault either..

Boban
16-07-2008, 06:34 PM
www.pickles.com.au
www.manheimfowles.com.au

they both sell damaged and complete cars on behalf of both insurance as well as private vendors. You do have to pay to have your car sold there but you might get a bit more if it goes through the auction than you would from a wrecker
Good luck mate, sorry to hear about the accident but looks like you got another car already, all the best with that one :p

Zilli
16-07-2008, 07:33 PM
well in this case then you dont get a payout, so you either lose all the money you had put into the car by selling it for what will be a measly amount... or you can put more than what the car is worth to build it back up.... thats what i would be thinking

lil4civ
17-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all your help. Yeah i had to get another car as I need it to get to work. Its just a cheap car i got from a friend.