PDA

View Full Version : Octane booster for your car????

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Personally i have only ever put the Shell V-Power or Mobil 8000 in my tank since i bought the car, both of which are the premium unleaded 98 RON fuels, but because of the fuel prices of recent and with some of the fuel stations closing there pumps on "tight ass Tuesday" there has got to be some way of getting the "better" octane enriched fuel in our tanks... i have nearly had to full up one time with normal unleaded, luckily i reached the shell station to put some v-power in the tank.

i was wondering if anyone here has used the Octane booster fuel treatments in there cars for those times you just cant get the higher octane fuel and HAVE to fill up with the normal unleaded, in theory the octane booster should get you on the level with the premium fuel... also how would the addition of octane booster effect the 98 ron fuels?

here is some info i have dug up about the additives and there benefits
link - http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productName=Pro-Strength_Octane_Booster
http://www.nulon.com.au/images/productImages/pso/pic-Pro-Strength_Octane_Booster.jpg
Benefits:

* Boosts RON by up to 7 numbers
* Stops engine detonation (pinging)
* Maximises horsepower potential
* Reduces overheating and piston damage
* Safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors
* Components are US EPA approved
* Protects against valve seat recession

Indicative RON increases:
91.5 Unleaded +PSO=96.5 (5.0 RON increase)
95 PULP +PSO=98.1 (3.1 RON increase)
98 PULP +PSO=100.1 (2.1 RON increase)
96 LRP +PSO=98.5 (2.5 RON increase)
(When used at maximum recommended treat rate.)

i was also wondering if anyone here has used the Octane booster fuel treatments in there cars and received any gains whether they be power or economy gains...

pls discuss...

SaiHayashi
18-07-2008, 12:09 PM
luckily a caltex is right down my street so all i need to do is make sure i have enough petrol to get home, then i can turn off the engine and roll downhill to it =D

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 12:11 PM
LOL!!!... i got this image of u pushin ur car down the street to the fuel station...

JDM.Power
18-07-2008, 12:14 PM
i use it on the GTR
best way to do it and ive herd it from other ppl.

best way to do it is when you have and empty tank, put the octane booster in and fill up with shell Vpower, you will feel a difference!

SaiHayashi
18-07-2008, 12:16 PM
LOL!!!... i got this image of u pushin ur car down the street to the fuel station...
lol yea probly have to push it to the right pump maybe.
but anyway... i doubt if it would work (with no scientific backup),
coz come to think of it, if that thing can push 91 unleaded into 96, then what are the premiums for? :confused:

i use it on the GTR
best way to do it and ive herd it from other ppl.

best way to do it is when you have and empty tank, put the octane booster in and fill up with shell Vpower, you will feel a difference!

really? so how much longer could u drive with it? (im not particularly concerned abt power gain here. =P )

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 12:18 PM
i used to have an R33 also and thats exactly how i used to use it....

wait till i was on very little fuel > put a full bottle of the octane booster in the tank > then fill the tank with petrol

but what i wanna know is whats effect on the FN2 K20Z4 engine

lol yea probly have to push it to the right pump maybe.
but anyway... i doubt if it would work (with no scientific backup),
coz come to think of it, if that thing can push 91 unleaded into 96, then what are the premiums for? :confused:

really? so how much longer could u drive with it? (im not particularly concerned abt power gain here. =P )

thats like saying why buy cordial when there is juice?!?!? :p

JDM.Power
18-07-2008, 12:20 PM
i used to have an R33 also and thats exactly how i used to use it....

wait till i was on very little fuel > put a full bottle of the octane booster in the tank > then fill the tank with petrol

but what i wanna know is whats effect on the FN2 K20Z4 engine

it will be the same effect, you will be able to feel a difference. my friend put it in his corolla gti and that thing was going off its nuts. he told me he felt a big difference. thats why octane booster is a good product on the market :thumbsup::thumbsup: but thats my opinion, i have not had any bad dramas with it so yeah.

only one way to find out with your type-r is to try it!

SaiHayashi
18-07-2008, 12:20 PM
how much does the booster cost anyway?

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 12:21 PM
i think it cost around $20ish per bottle? and the bottle lasts a full tank

SaiHayashi
18-07-2008, 12:26 PM
i think it cost around $20ish per bottle? and the bottle lasts a full tank
doesnt sound so economical all of a sudden,
$20 + $1.60 x 60L = $ 116 for 91+boost
$1.70 x 60L = $102 for 98premium.

but i guess if it really boost the power up, it would worth it.

LD_Mart
18-07-2008, 01:54 PM
They tested this stuff on fifth gear and fuel econmeny went down and power went down 2%
They did the test on a standard car then on the civic type r

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 03:07 PM
have u got the youtube vid link ???...

when i used to use this stuff on the R33 the petrol lasted a little longer, i cant remember exactly how much more Ks i was able to do but the fill ups where def less

dc2dc2dc2
18-07-2008, 03:07 PM
mothballs
ftw

integra95
18-07-2008, 03:47 PM
i use nulon octane boost every 3rd fill. Its pretty expensive $11. but it seems that i get better fuel economy, smother feel from the engine (dont know if its just all in my head tho) but it seems to do it job well.

its works exceptionally well if you have an older car, however if you have a newer car you wont feel the differences.

It is also used when people get water in their tanks, from dirty fuel...

smells really weird tho, dont get it on ur fingers lol

Ninjadust77
18-07-2008, 04:11 PM
on 2nd thoughts... maybe not worth it...

watch here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69c6w_9kQ8