PDA

View Full Version : Radiator or oil cooler first??

_FeRiO_
18-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, i just need ur opinion in regards to getting a radiator or a oil cooler first. I drive a em1 with the usual bolt on's.

I've done a few track days, but just want some protection so i can continue some more track days.

I probably do about 4-5 track days in a year.

So what should i get first??

Cheers

RICER23Q
18-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Nothing wrong with fitting an oil cooler though. Standard radiator should be able to handle it on non-hot days...

e240
19-07-2008, 01:51 AM
An oil cooler is always a good investment especially if you blast more than 5 laps each time you go out. But you also use your car alot on the street, I'd get a thermostat to go with it.

Hey guys, i just need ur opinion in regards to getting a radiator or a oil cooler first. I drive a em1 with the usual bolt on's.

I've done a few track days, but just want some protection so i can continue some more track days.

I probably do about 4-5 track days in a year.

So what should i get first??

Cheers

_FeRiO_
19-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys. Any recomendations on the oil cooler to get?

thebob
19-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, if i was you i would buy the baffled sump first. Then radiator then oil cooler.

http://www.nengun.com/spoon/baffle-oil-pan
$321.48 shipped.

hisoka
19-07-2008, 10:10 AM
IF you are running semis , it might be wise to get a baffled sump to suit your b16.

Yeah, if i was you i would buy the baffled sump first. Then radiator then oil cooler.

http://www.nengun.com/spoon/baffle-oil-pan
$321.48 shipped.

i would do this aswell~, spoon recommends it actually for first track upgrade, then a brake upgrade i think it was

_FeRiO_
19-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I was actually having talks with one of my mechanics regarding buffled sumps. He said it wasn't neccessary and show me inside where the pickup was. He expained to me that the only reason u'll have a baffled sump is if u did rallying or something because wen u jump, then theres the possibility that there oil could stave as the oil pickup is very low to the bottom of the sump.
I realised that with the sump full oil in the car, it would unlikey to starve of any oil, even with semi's.

By memory, i think it's semi baffled anyways.

I;ve done the suspension and brakes already, so im looking at things that would keep my car going for longer at track days.

SPEEDCORE
19-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I realised that with the sump full oil in the car, it would unlikey to starve of any oil, even with semi's.

That mentality has cost people on these forums an engine rebuild....... have fun.

thebob
19-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Your mechanic is a fool. A long enough left hander can starve your motor.

hisoka
19-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Your mechanic is a fool. A long enough left hander can starve your motor.

exactly, the oil literally sticks to the walls.

trust this guys~ get a baffled sump, and save your self a rebuild.

Limbo
19-07-2008, 08:31 PM
you can get a baffled sump by cutting the stainless steel yourself. I got one a while back where someone had a heap laser cut & then got it installed.

If your tracking the car a baffled sump & oil cooler would be best.

Radiator will only help marginally. Em1s have a pretty decent core. The larger alloy ones are not that much better, i've got one and i haven't seen much improvement over the standard.

SHIFTY
20-07-2008, 08:58 PM
get a baffled sump first! then get a oil cooler (with a thermostat!)

get a radiator later, i am still using my stock one and it is holding up fine and im not babying my car eather, thats for sure :P

_FeRiO_
22-07-2008, 09:23 AM

BlitZ
22-07-2008, 01:40 PM
oil cooler > radiator upgrade..

I have never seem a factory honda's water system overheat on the track...
When they do, there is usually another issue causing it

fatboyz39
22-07-2008, 01:46 PM
oil cooler first.

G_Vtec
23-07-2008, 11:18 PM
My current setup on the DC2R is mugen sump, 10-row oil cooler and modified oil pump. It works very well for me at the track and 5 continuous hot laps are never an issue. I also remove the front number plate in order to maximise on the airflow thru the radiator.

If you are running OEM honda coolant with good quality oil, there's really nothing much to worry about :)

thebob
24-07-2008, 05:40 AM
oil cooler first.

Why fatboyz? Just curious, cooler oil aint going to help you if your oil pump cant pick up the oil because its sloshing around.

BlitZ
24-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Why fatboyz? Just curious, cooler oil aint going to help you if your oil pump cant pick up the oil because its sloshing around.

yeah but the title is oil cooler or radiator... nothing to do with baffle..

Depends on your car.. if yor have an ITR, there is already the interal metal tabs/baffle which keeps oil down.

If u are an ITR I would rather oil cooler first.

And by all means, baffled sumps have their disadvantages. The baffles can cause starvation..

Cause imagine if you are slightly down on oil.... even just slightly, the matter would be made worst as the oil takes longer to return to the pickup becuase of the damn welded in baffle causing starvation...:thumbdwn:

u have to be very very careful either way..

aaronng
24-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I wonder if he already has oil temperature and pressure gauges....

fatboyz39
24-07-2008, 11:20 AM

As what blitz said the OT was asking which one. We ran a ITR motor at the track with and without oil cooler. Temperature without oil cooler 130 degree after 3 laps, with a oil cooler 100 degree max.

Yes a baffle sump is a good idea if you have a K series engine as there is no baffle plates in them sumps.

fatboyz39
24-07-2008, 11:21 AM
And by all means, baffled sumps have their disadvantages. The baffles can cause starvation..

Cause imagine if you are slightly down on oil.... even just slightly, the matter would be made worst as the oil takes longer to return to the pickup becuase of the damn welded in baffle causing starvation...:thumbdwn:

u have to be very very careful either way..

true....just gotta keep an eye out on oil levels at the end of the sessions.

vinnY
24-07-2008, 11:45 AM
so b18c7's come stock with some sort of baffle?

DLO01
24-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Yep, B18C7's come with light baffles on divers side and pasenger side.

SuperDave
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Without knowing what engine you are using it is impossible to suggest a size. Also you need to keep in mind that a cooler large enough for the track is way too big for the road. I know because I have one I sized for the track. On the street I have to block air flow to it, and I have a thermostat.

You need to start by knowing what oil temps you reach at the moment. If you aren't going over 120*C then you have nothing to worry about.

A B16/18/K20 for for track use would need something in the 19 row size from Earl's or equivalent. But you will have problems with cold oil even with a thermostat on the street.

DLO01
01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
there is one on teh front and rear for easing rapid acceleration and deceleration , no baffle plate for side-side movement tho.

No no no, Ben. East west engine. Baffles are side to side me friend on B18C7. :cool:

This is a b18c7 sump here. Yes it has a 'added' baffle plate, but you can also see the stock over hang baffles (where the plate is rivited on to) These light overhang baffles are stock. East/West engine. Side to side baffle, protecting the oil pickup.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00052.jpg