PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got tips of removing the spring pin on shift linkage?

dumped echo
18-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Need help removing the spring pin that holds the shift linkage onto the transmission.
Been hitting it with an 8mm punch but wont budge.
Raised my car on jackstands as high as i can safely go to get more hammer throw distance and still wont move.
Even tried just grinding it away with a drill bit, but its some sort of super steel or something.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

shadou
18-07-2008, 08:48 PM
should be right, you sure the punch is small enough? i.e your actually on the pin and not on the actual linkage?
wd40 if you must should make it a tad easier

dumped echo
19-07-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah i'm using the right size punch and plenty of wd-40.

Maybe i'm just not strong enough?>...haha

dumped echo
19-07-2008, 08:57 PM
ok got it out...using the back of an axe of all things and my gf's help.
The axe, being more heavy, gave me more inertia i guess.
But why don't honda just use a bolt and a nut?
If i'm right it wouldn't interfere with shifts as that part of the linkage doesn't retract that far into the gearbox and plus the rubber dust boot would still fit over it.

nd55
21-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I thought an 8mm punch was the answer too, but anywho...

Do a search on d-series.org for "bitch pin", I can remember it coming up a few times.

Nick.

bennjamin
21-07-2008, 11:11 PM
go buy a 8mm flat headed nail punch . place it against the bottom of the split pin , use a medium sized hammer and a few good whacks will push it thru.
be careful as it will shoot up and fall down again somewhere on the ground or car parts....dont lose it !

[BLISTK]
22-07-2008, 11:55 AM
i did it from the top down by getting a piece of threaded rod and grinding the end down to 8mm. that way you can get a good hit on it from above the engine by running the rod down the back and onto the pin

CRXer
22-07-2008, 05:23 PM
;1816829']i did it from the top down by getting a piece of threaded rod and grinding the end down to 8mm. that way you can get a good hit on it from above the engine by running the rod down the back and onto the pin

u can do it from above on the D16A8,but u wont be able to do it on your new B series,the bitch pin is tucked up nicely underneath the diff,so welcome to "bitch" pin land:wave:

dumped echo
23-07-2008, 03:41 AM
yeah i thought about doing it from above, but as stated, can't reach on the b-series.
I've done it a couple times with lots of swearing and painful arms, but was just wondering if anyone had an easy way to do it...but i guess not...
Anybody tried just sticking a nut and bolt through to replace the bitch pin (for easy removal next time)?

CRXer
23-07-2008, 09:40 AM
the reason its so tight is to keep the play to a minimum on your shifter.Chances are u wont be able to find a nut/bolt combination to keep it as solid as the bitch does.

A tool i found quite effective for removing the bitch(because i have heaps of them just lying around) is the shaft out of an 8mm x 50mm dynabolt,its nice & short for good hammer throw,plus the rounded edge on it seems to do the job well.

vinnY
23-07-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah just get like a m8 bolt or something which is probably less than $2
8mm punches are like $16 at bunnings, nutso

dumped echo
24-07-2008, 03:22 AM
thanks guys. Yeah i had an 8mm punch but in the end used an M8 30cm bolt.

ECU-MAN
24-07-2008, 08:58 AM
you would think Honda put a pin in there for a reson !!!!!

dumped echo
25-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah i assume...
That's why i'm wondering if anyone has tried it....
I think i might try it out...see how it goes..