PDA

View Full Version : CTR Cams Installed but.....

bumpy1
20-07-2008, 04:00 PM

B18cEG
20-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry but what engine did you install these into b16a? If so u should really upgrade the valvesprings to match the more aggresive cams. What ecu are you running?

Mitsubishi
20-07-2008, 06:25 PM
When you get a tune, post back here, you're opinion on the cams should change by then.

B18cEG
20-07-2008, 06:28 PM
so what cams are they exactly, CTR from ek9? i really think valvesprings should be upgraded thats because the engines that you get the type r cams from come with dual intake and exhaust valves but u should definatly get a tune i think this is why your having the issue your having, stock itr's and ctr's feel fine through the rev range but they have the ecu tuning to match from stock.

ekhybrid
20-07-2008, 08:33 PM
so what cams are they exactly, CTR from ek9? i really think valvesprings should be upgraded thats because the engines that you get the type r cams from come with dual intake and exhaust valves but u should definatly get a tune i think this is why your having the issue your having, stock itr's and ctr's feel fine through the rev range but they have the ecu tuning to match from stock.

LOL WTF jibberish

B18cEG
20-07-2008, 08:37 PM
LOL WTF jibberish

WTF u talking about?? made sence when i wrote it.

90LAN
20-07-2008, 08:41 PM
it will be right to 8200 rpm any more and u will be in trouble
it would be best to change to type r valve springs at least
best to get a tune to to get the best out of them

ECU-MAN
21-07-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL WTF jibberish

I think what he is trying to say is intake and exhaust halves use dual springs.

if you valve timing is out you will have similar broblems. if the valve timing is right you should gain a little with a tune.

TODA AU
23-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Just dropped some CTR Cams in my em1, but now my car feels more laggy at the bottom end... is that how its suppose to feel?

my top end feels better and pulls a little harder and i can hear that my intake nosise has changed too... more of a grumble type sound...

im going to get it dyno tuned in a week or so... i didn't change valve springs or anything else...

my mechanic said its fine, timing was alright but said to take it easy until i get it dyno tuned...

is my car alright? any suggestions anyone?

There should be no change in low end power output what so ever.
For those who don't know, the low cam for B16A & any B-Series Type R cam is identical. (Same lift, same duration, same lobe centre angle)
So you should check the cam timing & valve clearances.
If the head has been removed in the past & machined, you may need to fit adjustable cam pulleys to acheive correct cam timing.
Further, though both sets of cams are OEM, there is a tolerance for the alignment of the keyway to the LCA of the cam & the cams you've just fit may be toward the advanced end of this tolerance causing your lumpy idle.
In general however, the idle should be exactly the same with a straight swap & check of timing / clearances.
The only change you should see using these cams is improved power on Vtec, approx 7~8hp improvement (or 5kw)
If you experience something else, then something is wrong.
Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Sir_vtec
23-07-2008, 09:07 PM
how does it pull with the ctr cams after the tune?

Sir_vtec
25-07-2008, 12:20 PM
a lot more torque now in the bottom end and throughout the rev range. Pulls much harder when the vtec kicks in too... ended up with 106.3kw atw and running really smooth.

but i didn't get a chance to get my apexi neo tuned because we had to get the timing/cams fixed and my tuner was busy :(

Power curve/idle is very smooth without the tune. Hopefully when i do get it tuned, i would hope to gain another 3-5kw.

all in all happy with it so far... now just figuring out what mod to do next...

ctr/itr throttle body? intake manifold? adjustable cam gears? i just want bolt on mods... any ideas?

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

TB with intake manifold should upgrade to itr or ctr to complement the cams.

aowwllan
25-07-2008, 01:01 PM
There should be no change in low end power output what so ever.
For those who don't know, the low cam for B16A & any B-Series Type R cam is identical. (Same lift, same duration, same lobe centre angle)
So you should check the cam timing & valve clearances.
If the head has been removed in the past & machined, you may need to fit adjustable cam pulleys to acheive correct cam timing.
Further, though both sets of cams are OEM, there is a tolerance for the alignment of the keyway to the LCA of the cam & the cams you've just fit may be toward the advanced end of this tolerance causing your lumpy idle.
In general however, the idle should be exactly the same with a straight swap & check of timing / clearances.
The only change you should see using these cams is improved power on Vtec, approx 7~8hp improvement (or 5kw)
If you experience something else, then something is wrong.
Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: exactly!

you get what u pay for. get buddyclub/toda/skunk 2 WHATEVER branded internals/ recondition your head and replace the internals on the bottom block with CTR/ITR internals. + tune with a s100 then you'll feel a difference LOL

but yeah man.. playing with cars aint cheap if u want noticeable power. upgrading ur cams to other OEM cams wont make a huge differnce, it could pull harder in vtec or rev quicker? but most of the time it could be your mind making you think that it is. due to the fact that you "upgraded"

in your case. shoulda changed all the internals in the head to CTR or ITR ( valves springs and retainers ) but yeah good job ! dyno wise.

Id go the ITR intake manifold and TB for next mod.