PDA

View Full Version : Which Nardi wheel do I want?

Migoreng_Noodles
21-07-2008, 03:04 PM
350mm or 330 mm?

It's for a daily driver EG Civic. I think I'll just get the JDM HKB Boss kit 92mm from JDMyard?

Anyone know the diameter of the stock EG non airbag steering wheel?

EG5
21-07-2008, 03:37 PM
if you got power steering both will be a good size.

I prefer 350mm

Migoreng_Noodles
21-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Well I have power steering right now (EG4). But when I do my engine conversion I want to change it to DC2R Steering column (same feedback, feel etc). At the moment my steering feels like an Toyota Echo and I hate it. So I suppose to answer your question Yonas, I will either have EG4 without Power Steering, or DC2R Power Steering.

How much smaller is Nardi 350mm Wheel to OEM EG4?

JohnL
21-07-2008, 04:31 PM
The CB7 wheel is 370mm OD, and while I don't know the exact EG size, my mate's EG wheel is very slightly larger than the stock CB7 wheel. I think Honda might have used the same internal metal wheel hoop for the CB7 Accord and EG Civic wheels, but the EG wheel OD is a bit larger because the plastic moulding on the rim is thicker than the CB7 rim. I would say the EG wheel is about 380mm.

I have a 350mm aftermarket wheel on my CB7, and it does feel significantly smaller than the OE wheel, more so than you'd expect from just looking at the OD numbers. On my CB7, if you went smaller than 350mm then you'd start having problems with seeing the guages properly, which may or may not be an issue with your EG.

There may be legal limitations on the size of wheel that is allowed to be fitted. I know in some places you can't fit a wheel less than Xmm smaller than the OE wheel (it might be 20mm less than stock, not sure), and no smaller than 350mm unless the OE wheel was smaller than this.

As to which wheel (other than OD), well the 'flatter' dished Nardi wheels look nicer IMO, but the stock wheel rim could be a couple of inches closer to the driver (also IMO), so the deeper dish versions of the Nardi wheels might be better from this perspective?

With my CB7 I wanted to retain the cruise control buttons when fitting the aftermarket wheel, but none of the available bosses had provision for it, so I had to make my own boss that incorporated mounts for the CC buttons. Since I was making the boss, I took the opportunity to make it long enough to bring the wheel a couple of inches closer than stock, which was a very worthwhile modification.

JohnL
21-07-2008, 04:47 PM
At the moment my steering feels like an Toyota Echo and I hate it.

I'd suggest increasing caster angle as much as you can. I understand Whiteline make spacers that fit between the LCA and the longitudinal wishbone member that increases caster by up to 2.5°.

With the EG, I think it's also possible to swap the upper wishbones side to side for an increase in caster (the upper wishbones aren't symmetrical when viewed from the side). However, theoretically this method may (?) introduce some bump-steer because it also causes the ends of the steering arms to be lowered to some degree (i.e. the upper ball joint is father back when you do this, and so the 'upright' moves backward at top by rotating slightly around the lower ball joint, but so does the steering arm, i.e. it also moves around the lower ball joint but lowers rather than moving back).

Increasing caster increases steering weight and on-centre feel, making the steering feel more 'connected' and directional. It also improves steering response and improves the camber angles of the front wheel as they are steered (i.e. causes advantageous steered camber changes, more so with more caster).

Migoreng_Noodles
21-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think i'll go 350mm too, because as you said any smaller and I might have a problem looking at the guages.

02gzm
22-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Legally it needs to be at least 350mm anyway doesn't it?

Migoreng_Noodles
22-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Legally it needs to be at least 350mm anyway doesn't it?

No idea

Hence the point of this thread.

How big is the ITR wheel?

trism
22-07-2008, 05:28 PM
yep legally 350mm isthe smallest