PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] outside temperature guage - malfunction

unity
21-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone, I just want to write about an observation I made today.
I went to Mt Dandenong for a drive. I left home and the outside temp was reading 15 (inside my garage). As I drove for a few minutes the temperature gauge acclimatised to 12. As I made my way up the mountain the temperature began to fall as expected. At the top of the mountain the reading was 6, which was the actual temperature at the time.
As I made my way down however it was still showing 6, all the way home, and even leaving the car running for a few minutes in the garage at home made no difference (even though the actual temperature in the garage was more like about 15)
Anyway, I went out a few hours later and when I had started the car the outside temperature was now showing correct.
I am not cncerned about this but was wondering has anyone noticed this before and what might have made the temperature sensor malfunction?

aaronng
21-07-2008, 05:08 PM
The way the outside temperature gauge works is not as simple as measuring the air temperature. There is an algorithm where it goes "if there is a change of X degrees within less than Y minutes, ignore it". The calculation probably assumed that the quick change was an error and hence ignored it.

unity
21-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I would say the time it took getting up the mountain (approx 15 mins) was the same coming down too. It clearly dropped incremently going up. It was just strange it did not rise as I was coming down. I might try it again tomorrow and if it gets stuck I'll drive it straight to the Honda dealer at Ferntree Gully which is only a couple of kilometres from the base of Mount Dandenong.

unity
21-07-2008, 05:27 PM
The way the outside temperature gauge works is not as simple as measuring the air temperature. There is an algorithm where it goes "if there is a change of X degrees within less than Y minutes, ignore it". The calculation probably assumed that the quick change was an error and hence ignored it.

By the time I arrived at the base of the mountain (where the temp would have been about 11 or 12 degress) and the time I got home (which was about 15 mins later) shouldn't the temperature sensor have acclimatised because the temperature would have been fairly constant for the last 15 minutes on the way home?

Omotesando
22-07-2008, 06:27 AM
I swear the Euro's outside temp gauge has that problem.

More often than not, the temp seems to be stuck, even if my body says different. Sometimes I open the window just to make sure I'm not imagining things.

I could park the car in a car park and it'll be say 11 degrees. When I drive outside in the chilly wind it says the same. Its just impossible.

hisoka
22-07-2008, 08:49 AM
its funny sometimes mine will say x amount of degrees ~and i usually drive past this sign some nights which has the time and temperature and its completely different to what my car is saying lol

unity
22-07-2008, 08:53 AM
We don't expect the temperature gauge to be as precise and accurate as say a mercury thermometer, however, it should atleast be able to detect changes in temperature no matter how rapid or slow the temperature changes. I hope the engine's coolant temperature guage is a bit more reliable.

hisoka
22-07-2008, 08:56 AM
how do u see coolant ? do you have the mugen kit OBD kit ?

centurionau
22-07-2008, 09:22 AM
We don't expect the temperature gauge to be as precise and accurate as say a mercury thermometer, however, it should atleast be able to detect changes in temperature no matter how rapid or slow the temperature changes. I hope the engine's coolant temperature guage is a bit more reliable.

I think he meant the engine temp guage in the car!:p

aaronng
22-07-2008, 10:49 AM
For a digital coolant temperature gauge, you can also hold down "Dual" and "Auto" when you start the car. You will see the driver's side aircond temperature flash "1" and some other number. Press the rear demister button to scroll to item #4. That is coolant temperature. To cancel this mode, press "Auto".

unity
22-07-2008, 11:30 AM
how do u see coolant ? do you have the mugen kit OBD kit ?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I dont even know what that is. My car is only stock as purchased and will probably remain that way for the rest of its life.

unity
22-07-2008, 11:32 AM
For a digital coolant temperature gauge, you can also hold down "Dual" and "Auto" when you start the car. You will see the driver's side aircond temperature flash "1" and some other number. Press the rear demister button to scroll to item #4. That is coolant temperature. To cancel this mode, press "Auto".

I never saw that in the manual before. Is that information contained in the service manual? Good information anyway. Thanks.

hisoka
23-07-2008, 08:33 AM
theres a thread about all the secrets and that~to look at temps and that~also on the other hand you can buy a mugen kit lol rip off IMO~it cost a grand and its three gauges~but the thing is they run of the OBD so i think thats why its 1 grand for three gauges lol.

MiSloVic
23-07-2008, 07:54 PM
yup.. that is how the external temperature gauge work. it takes a few minutes for the computer to reflect the change.

in summer, my euro will sometimes shows 20+C, while the outside is a scorching 30+C

VTECJimStar
26-07-2008, 05:12 PM

How bizzaire.. Are there lists of these secret squirrel EURO The Car PC, codes??

Thanks

hisoka
26-07-2008, 06:10 PM
yep~http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17777

panda[cRx]
26-07-2008, 07:25 PM

yep the logic for the display takes up a whole a4 page from memory.
it never displays a 100% accurate reading and should only be used as a guide