PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

myztery
21-07-2008, 09:46 PM
hey everyone i have a d16y1 turbo setup

i was hoping i could get some info please first of all what is a better than a oem 3 layer copper coated head gasket... i've been told that a stainless steel gasket should do the job,,,,,if any one can help where i can find this gasket???? and if anyone knows anything about them ( by the way i blew the head on the dyno 121.4kw at 5.5 pound )...not much for a fully worked motor...

much appreciated for knowledge...

STOCK
21-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Are you sure its failed simply because "it was not good enough?" or other reasons like: head studs not holding the head down, bad tune - detonation etc?

I used a cometic MLS head gasket in my turbo B18C2 but only because of my larger bore size. Else i would have used OEM, they have proven to hold up just fine under boost. You can buy cometic ones from rocket industries.

myztery
21-07-2008, 10:17 PM
adrian done the tune he said that the piston was pushing air back to the cooling system???

myztery
21-07-2008, 10:18 PM
head stud were retourqed

myztery
21-07-2008, 10:23 PM
if yous want more info on were i went wrong the motor belonged to weq( yep thats right its his old motor) when adrian tuned it he said that it was to rich and leaned it out

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36946

this is what happened last time he built it

STOCK
22-07-2008, 09:33 AM
ohhh youve got that motor aye? i heard that motor has chewed through quite a few headgaskets in its time

myztery
22-07-2008, 05:53 PM
yeh your not wrong now im trying to fix it all

VTi_b0i
22-07-2008, 06:03 PM
LOL buy a B series :p

destrukshn
22-07-2008, 06:05 PM
hope you bought it at a bargain of a price.
i'm using a OEM one on my b18c2 turbo, and it's absolutely fine.
running 12psi and 18psi.

VTi_b0i
22-07-2008, 06:08 PM
lol got boost? hope that motor is built :p

myztery
22-07-2008, 06:53 PM
the motor is built apparently there was a problem with the block
i did get the motor for a cheap price but then again not cheap enough for the damages i have to repair now.....and also my aim was to show that d series are still capable of pulling big number (under-dog)

myztery
22-07-2008, 06:56 PM
never leaked water into the oil????but it was lyk there was a pressure build up from the motor into the cooling system

Lukezen27
22-07-2008, 08:57 PM
never leaked water into the oil????but it was lyk there was a pressure build up from the motor into the cooling system

that's what mine did

My HG went from overheating not boost

New OEM HG and ARP studs at 70+

All seems good with my setup

if yous want more info on were i went wrong the motor belonged to weq( yep thats right its his old motor) when adrian tuned it he said that it was to rich and leaned it out

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36946

this is what happened last time he built it

Oh dam Weq block was ****ed from what I've head after Weq passed it on

Cheap is not always cheap sorry bro but if the blocks the problem then you will just keep blowing HG

Limbo
25-07-2008, 10:42 AM
luke - your supose to gime your guy's contact so i can get mine done later, wanna get the arp bolts also

Lukezen27
25-07-2008, 11:32 AM
luke - your supose to gime your guy's contact so i can get mine done later, wanna get the arp bolts also

You know Robert at hannys 02 97255115 :thumbsup:

TEGZOTIC
25-07-2008, 12:19 PM
get a metal headgasket (cometic, cosworth if your on a budget) otherwise a apexi or something if they make it for that engine... but u must get some arp headbolts, they are the reason y headgaskets blow, and temperature ofcourse

Limbo
25-07-2008, 01:06 PM
o bugger than your gonna have to come talk to him with me also

myztery
25-07-2008, 05:44 PM
its already got head bolts for it done some researching and found out that the head was over shaved so the sleeves ended up sinking in, f***ed up hard so i thought about it.... and i've come to the conclusion that the only way to fix the problem is to replace the block (cos of high compression ) i might loose compression but at least ill save headgaskets... and i might just take it the only one that knows the motor inside out...DD

Lukezen27
26-07-2008, 08:44 PM
its already got head bolts for it done some researching and found out that the head was over shaved so the sleeves ended up sinking in, f***ed up hard so i thought about it.... and i've come to the conclusion that the only way to fix the problem is to replace the block (cos of high compression ) i might loose compression but at least ill save headgaskets... and i might just take it the only one that knows the motor inside out...DD

You seemed to have answered your own question..

Blocks ****ed and you will keep blowing HG

Hence the reason no one bothered buying this setup even at a hell cheap price..

o bugger than your gonna have to come talk to him with me also

Yeah I'll come talk to him but I'm not sure it will help...

Robert hates boosted Honders and only works on mine coze he re-built my D16Y1 before I was turboed lol

myztery
26-07-2008, 10:59 PM
from a bit of your guys info i was able to cross out things
and find out a little about my own engine cheers boys for the info....

Weq
28-07-2008, 12:52 PM
From what i heard down the grape vine, the block needs sleeves. Too many overheats. 122kw on 5.5psi is about on par with what i made on it.

myztery
30-07-2008, 07:11 PM
it needs more than sleeves it needs a whole new block you must of got the info from the wrong grape vine (stale)

ILZ
22-08-2008, 10:49 PM
hey everyone i have a d16y1 turbo setup

i was hoping i could get some info please first of all what is a better than a oem 3 layer copper coated head gasket... i've been told that a stainless steel gasket should do the job,,,,,if any one can help where i can find this gasket???? and if anyone knows anything about them ( by the way i blew the head on the dyno 121.4kw at 5.5 pound )...not much for a fully worked motor...

much appreciated for knowledge...

a mutli-layer shim gasket will be fine, i run a genuine honda gasket in my car,this engine has seen 35psi boost and and well over 60 low 10 sec passes.
i suspect it blew coz of the tune or the head wasnt fitted correctly