PDA

View Full Version : Worth Modifying?

eg5civic
23-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey guys

I've come to a sad part of owning my civic... Potentially parting with it

I do really want to keep it but it has 300,000kms on the clock.... if i kept it eventually it would be a track car or something of the liek but am i better off cutting my losses selling now and saving and buying another Eg later on with lower km's??

I am planning on ditching the d16a8 sometime next year if i did keep it for a b16a (new p laws <.<)

So my question is... a car with this many km's... even if i change the motor will the high km's on the chassis eventually kill it?

Cheers

dsp26
23-07-2008, 06:54 PM
So my question is... a car with this many km's... even if i change the motor will the high km's on the chassis eventually kill it?

Cheers

since your talking about engines are you asking if the chassis can kill the engine? then no...

but with a car that many k's other things fail like:
- suspension ESPECIALLY all the bushings
- rust
- rubber hosings, especially the brake stuff
- etc..

eg5civic
23-07-2008, 07:55 PM
nah i wans't asking bout that i was saying will the chassis fail in any way, as the motor will be replaced

But thanks for that.. the only rust i've spotted is a little not even 5 cent bubble above the light.... The only other is the hatch hinge and is surface rust

Suspension i'm looking at coilovers
Hoses... i guess i can slowly replace everything
Bushings.... any in aprticular that fail... i'm going asr brace and replacinfgfront sway bushes.... and other bushes while its all off?

dsp26
23-07-2008, 09:02 PM
^^may as well replace all the bushes while your getting it all done... your 300K KM car will love you for it and so will the suspension work that you'll be investing in.

anything plastic/rubber/seal/etc from factory fail eventually... just somethings like all the sussy bushings should be done at the same time if your already in the middle of sussy work like coils and braces etc... look into the "Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex kit" which replaces all the sussy bushings, either get from ebay or the traders here.. i think JDM Yard sell em...

don't waste your money on the asr brace if your not upgrading your swaybars

simonnowis
23-07-2008, 09:18 PM
i doubt you will get much for the eg with such high k's, if your really keen on modding it i think it may be better to just keep it especially if the chasis is in good cond for its age as when i was car hunting all the eg's iv looked at were in not very good condition unless ur willing to pay quite alot more for decent cond ones.

mugen24
23-07-2008, 09:44 PM
nowadays, it's hard to find a good condition original egs...what i suggest to do is better goin to get one which had mods done with. thats the best way to save $$ and easy way to own a good eg.

eg5civic
23-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Well i picked mine up or 2800 with around 290,000 on it as my first car 8 months ago...

So yeah its served me well

and i have a female mate who's willing to pay 4 grand for it but idk i'm seriously considering keeping it... that or selling and buying a cheap ke70 and saving for a while

and dsp i will be upgrading the bar in the asr combo :)

Louis - Type S
23-07-2008, 10:37 PM
weigh up the pros and cons of keeping or not keeping the car. factor in how much you are willing to spend on a new car or how much money you would spend on fixing this one up.

it all depend on what you like and how deep your pockets go. good luck

Limbo
24-07-2008, 05:22 PM
chassis stress is rare unless the car has had alot of serious track driving in it or been crashed.

If you replace all the bushes while the engine is out it would help heaps.
When the engine is out you can pretty much lift the chassis to get to where parts.
I know i did when the engine was out of my car

eg5civic
24-07-2008, 05:28 PM
thnx for all the advice so far guys

As Louis said... spending never stops on the cars i want to buy... if i buy a ke70 i'd probably end up dropping a 4age in it and getting an lsd and having it as a drift pig

Certainly cheaper as i could buy adn engine swap for 4k

But seeming the ke70 is so cheap i may buy it and just keep it the civic as well

Jord
24-07-2008, 06:45 PM
i have owned a ke70 not for long but long enough. owning 2 cars can put a stress on u especially financially.. i am only 18 and found owning 2 cars and trying to mod both near impossible. u cant consentrate on just one. so if u are going to do it concentrate on one and keep the other as a daily. in the end keeping the civic might be ur best bet... modding a car is to satify urself not others.. so in the end it is ur choice!

eg5civic
24-07-2008, 06:51 PM
you's are all evil!!

haha alexx has convinced me to keep it and spend a site load of money on it...

thanks to all for leading me away from the path of temptation and along the path of honda ;)

Alexx
24-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Glad i could be of service :p

CRXDEL501
24-07-2008, 08:14 PM
keep it dude.. my mates civic had way over 400,000 kms and it was still good.. until he just didnt care about it.