PDA

View Full Version : Brightest bulbs before going HID

Element12
23-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey, guys

Just wondering, whats the next best thing before going HIDS ?

I have a mate who wants brighter lights than his stock ones, but doesn't want to go HID's because they are 'illegal' on his Accord.

I've heard about some starbright ones or somthing along those lines, but they can melt your wiring harness because they pull down too much current ?

Anyone know of any brands or using any bulbs that they have had experience with ?

~Thanks :D

Kiz_EG6
23-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Phillips "x-streem vision" i'm pretty sure they are called

They are supposed to be +80% compared to standard.
Don't think they are that much, but i have them in my teg low beam and they are pretty sweet!
Next best is Narva +50% and phillips "Power2night" which are also +50%

LD_Mart
23-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Phillips Diamond Vision is on same level as x-stream vision but Diamond is of bluish colour and xtream is of yellow colour

LD_Mart
23-07-2008, 07:22 PM
PS im selling some in H7 if you want them look at my thread

Element12
23-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Phillips Diamond Vision is on same level as x-stream vision but Diamond is of bluish colour and xtream is of yellow colour

Yeah, i told him about the Phillips range, never had any experience with them, if anyone's got pics that would help out :D

LD_Mart
23-07-2008, 07:48 PM
just google some pictures....

j.meng87
24-07-2008, 12:27 AM
i have osram night breaker. its compareable with the philips xtream.

CB7_OWNER
24-07-2008, 06:45 PM
PIAA would be my choice..but the price is amongst the top 3 most expensive for normal halogen bulbs i think

FAT VTI
31-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey, guys

Just wondering, whats the next best thing before going HIDS ?

I have a mate who wants brighter lights than his stock ones, but doesn't want to go HID's because they are 'illegal' on his Accord.

I've heard about some starbright ones or somthing along those lines, but they can melt your wiring harness because they pull down too much current ?

Anyone know of any brands or using any bulbs that they have had experience with ?

~Thanks :D

not all hid's are illegal. Most high end cars come out of the factory with 6000k hids. e.g. chrystler 300c.

Element12
03-08-2008, 07:07 PM
not all hid's are illegal. Most high end cars come out of the factory with 6000k hids. e.g. chrystler 300c.

Yeah, out of factory, but retrofitting is.

howy
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, out of factory, but retrofitting is.

Not if you get an engineer's certificate for your retrofit :)

twing
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Not if you get an engineer's certificate for your retrofit :)

HID requires washer and auto levelling for it to be legal.

howy
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
HID requires washer and auto levelling for it to be legal.

Yeh i know, I was just stating that even if it was a retrofit you could make it legal. If you consult with a RTA approved engineering signatory they will go through all the ADR regulations with you.

Element12
26-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, i can officially say HIDS are not illegal :D

I was out with a mate the other day and we got pulled over by a highway patrol and he was looking over the car etc etc,

And he was a really decent guy, and anyway i asked him about HID lights and he said he hasn't been told anything really about them, and he doesnt care about how bright your headlights are aslong as they are pointing towards the ground and not blinding every poor soul who drives past you.

And he said all the other guys at the station have been told the same story, aslong as they are leveled and not going haywire in the air, whcih you can do with standard headlights without projectors.

iLlusion10
09-10-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/78022EFD-3EC3-46EB-8F3E-6325190379F3/0/TestingTimes22.pdf

refer to page 2

geeang
10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Ok, i can officially say HIDS are not illegal :D

I was out with a mate the other day and we got pulled over by a highway patrol and he was looking over the car etc etc,

And he was a really decent guy, and anyway i asked him about HID lights and he said he hasn't been told anything really about them, and he doesnt care about how bright your headlights are aslong as they are pointing towards the ground and not blinding every poor soul who drives past you.

And he said all the other guys at the station have been told the same story, aslong as they are leveled and not going haywire in the air, whcih you can do with standard headlights without projectors.

Eeehh you can't say that, they ARE illegal on all cars that don't come with them as standard.

Anyway, according to your story they could still be illegal, it's just the cop that pulled you over didnt care cause they were pointing down. Still means they're illegal, he just didn't care.

Element12
15-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah, thats true it is still bias,

But im curious to find out what other cops say, i've never had any problems over the duration of 9 months.