PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] how is the steering wheel inter-connected with the brakes?

unity
24-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi I have limited knowledge about cars but I was hoping some one might be able to tell me how the steering wheel and brakes are connected?
I noticed today that while I was tapping (and I mean light taps not banging) on the steering wheel while listening to some music, I noticed that caused a pulse/vibration down through the brake pedal. I have posted previously that I am getting what I feel an unusual amount of sensation through the pedals.
So why can I feel these taps through the brake pedal and can this then explain the excessive pulses/vibration I am experiencing?
Thank you.

d15z1SUX
24-07-2008, 09:41 PM
fully sik bass from the music yo...

d15z1SUX
24-07-2008, 09:42 PM
can you show us a video of how u tap ur hand on the steering wheel while listening music in the car? then maybe we can diagnose your problem better.

Type R Positive
24-07-2008, 10:15 PM
This thread is worthless with out vids! :p
ROFL!

Euro08Jaz
24-07-2008, 10:15 PM
i can also feel the window wipers heavily through brakes although i doubt they are connected .

Pumped
24-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I too agree that to give a fair assessment of the situation a video is required!

they may be connected with ropes or a pulley system

unity
24-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Do you really need a video? When I say tap (with just one finger) i mean at an intensity just loud enough to actually hear the tap . It even occurs when the music is off and the car is off too. It is noticable when the steering wheel is tapped from the top and bottom (when steering wheel is in its normal position) but dont feel anything when I tap the wheel side on.

Suntzu
24-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Im always tapping something bruther...dont always get positive feedback either :p

Euro08Jaz
25-07-2008, 12:25 AM
^^^ ahahhaha

unity
25-07-2008, 12:33 AM
i can also feel the window wipers heavily through brakes although i doubt they are connected .

They are connected. I had this problem along with noisy wipers. The dealer changed the wiper blades and tightened something else up. The noise is gone but you can still feel the wipes through the brakes but not as bad as it was before. The Honda dealer said he felt this in his car too.

unity
25-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I found my service docket. They actually removed the scuttle panel (whatever that is) and retensioned the wiper motor assembley.

Euro08Jaz
25-07-2008, 12:50 AM
did the vibration start after the removing of the scuttle panel?

unity
25-07-2008, 12:55 AM
They didn't remove it permanently. It was only removed to access the wiper motor. It happened in the first weeks of me purchasing my car (brand new). As I mentioned before it's still there but not as bad as before. It's probably normal. The brake pedal must be a pleasure device. I can also feel the A/C and fans through the brake pedal too. There must be something to dampen this down.

Euro08Jaz
25-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Im pretty sure the scuttle panel is a ventilated panel at the back of your hood, i know what you mean about the vibration though, i normally feel it quite heavily with the wipers on, i dont think the steering wheel is connected to the brake directly they must share some component which the vibration translates through, maybe some remnant of the LKAS system?

unity
25-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I got a copy of a service manual and I'm trying to get an understanding how everything is connected with other components. Hopefully I will find a common link and identify the causing problem

LXRY
26-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Give him a break guys it sounds like a genuine concern, especially if it's fairly new car....sounds like you are concerned. Have you asked to drive another euro to see if they the same as your car ?

Excactly what concerns do have you about the way your vehicle is ? What problems have you noticed...be as thorough as you can and try to give as much description as you can .

We'll all try to help you as much as we can we all here to help !! Keep us posted ;)

LXRY
26-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Damn.....thats harsh, to feel the wipers through brakes.

unity
26-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Give him a break guys it sounds like a genuine concern, especially if it's fairly new car....sounds like you are concerned. Have you asked to drive another euro to see if they the same as your car ?

Excactly what concerns do have you about the way your vehicle is ? What problems have you noticed...be as thorough as you can and try to give as much description as you can .

We'll all try to help you as much as we can we all here to help !! Keep us posted ;)

Hi, thanks for the support. Dealers around me have run out of the CL9 now so got nothing to compare it too. Its my first new car and my first Honda so not really sure what to expect and what's normal and what's not. Do you leave anywhere near Wantirna? You can take it for a drive and see for yourself.

LXRY
26-07-2008, 05:49 PM
That's what they always say........no cars available. Yeah we can meet up if you like. Can you give us all details concerning your issues, please. We have some very gifted members here that might be able to help more than myself. Give as much description as you can.

unity
26-07-2008, 05:58 PM
No its true. I went to the dealer and only had CU2 so I took that for a drive.
The car just seems to have too much sensation going through it. The car feels every bump, braking feels rough, vibrations through pedals. It's not a violent sensation but it's noticable and Im not sure if its normal.
You can PM me and let me know when it would be convenient for you. Thanks.

LXRY
26-07-2008, 06:15 PM
No its true. I went to the dealer and only had CU2 so I took that for a drive.
The car just seems to have too much sensation going through it. The car feels every bump, braking feels rough, vibrations through pedals. It's not a violent sensation but it's noticable and Im not sure if its normal.
You can PM me and let me know when it would be convenient for you. Thanks.

Which dealership are you with ?