PDA

View Full Version : No reverse lights

mugeneration
24-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,

I've noticed my reverse lights arent working. Its not a bulb or fuse issue as I have checked it out. The powers of google have led me to believe it is a switch problem on the transmission. So I have a few questions:

1) I'll be fixing it on my own, so how can I test with a multimeter whether this is the case (as noone will be able to put it into reverse for me)
2) If it is the switch at fault, what do I do? Do I replace it, bash it with a hammer? Say a prayer and sacrifice a goat?
3) Where is said switch located?

CRXer
24-07-2008, 06:18 PM
switch is located at the front/ bottom of the tranny.

unplug the wiring connector & put your multi on ohms.

with the tranny engaged in reverse gear,the reading across the 2 terminals of the switch should read low ohms,ie 1 ohm or less.

if it doesnt,drain the gearbox & remove switch & replace or see if u can fix it.

mugeneration
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
wow, an old one im digging up again.

is there anything else i can do to fix the problem that wont involve two people?

also, does anyone know how much this would cost roughly to have done professionally?

~Sp33~
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
What CRXer said doesn't require 2 people.

mugeneration
13-01-2009, 08:17 AM
wont it need someone to flick the car into reverse while i hold the multimeter?

paps02
13-01-2009, 01:14 PM
are your tailights aftermarket??
if yes

I had a similar problem when i bought an aftermarket set. to fix it i used the original lights in the new housing and everything worked fine again.. was very wierd

hope that is of relevance!!

sir_egg
13-01-2009, 03:02 PM
just put the gear in reverse turn ignition to on with hand brake engage (dont start the engine) and you should be able to put multimeter across and check whether u got power or short somewhere gl you wont require 2 ppl to do this!

~Sp33~
13-01-2009, 11:09 PM
wont it need someone to flick the car into reverse while i hold the multimeter?

This:

just put the gear in reverse turn ignition to on (dont start the engine)

:thumbsup:

dumped echo
16-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Pull of the switch and jump the two terminals. This effectively bypasses the switch and means the reverse lights should turn on (if the switch is the problem).
If the lights do turn on you have your problem. If they still don't turn on then you have a wiring issue somewhere from the fusebox to the lights (as there is no problem at the fusebox)