PDA

View Full Version : Type S vtec

simon_l
24-07-2008, 06:57 PM
hi all,
i have a quick question.
i drove a type S this arvo and i didnt really notice the vtec kick in much the car has done 70,000 K's does this indicate a possible problem with it or is the vtec on a type S just a lot less apparent?
the car also has a weeping rocker gasket. is this caused from the car being driven too hard? or is it a common problem? the car still has 4 months warranty so i presume it will be repaired under it?
any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Simon.

aaronng
24-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Engine is probably suffering low oil pressure. I wouldn't buy it if the engine has ever been driven with oil below the minimum mark.

simon_l
24-07-2008, 07:16 PM
are you saying that is the cause of the weeping oil or the lack of vtec?

iversonruls
24-07-2008, 07:26 PM
wat do u mean by didnt feel the vtec kick in?

T-onedc2
24-07-2008, 07:32 PM
are you saying that is the cause of the weeping oil or the lack of vtec?
Lack of oil = low oil pressure, which won't allow vtec mechanism to engage

simon_l
24-07-2008, 07:38 PM
i have driven both a dc2 and a dc5 type r and at around 5000 rpm the vtec undeniably kicks in and changes the power and sound of the car. this type s didnt seem to have that.
the car was also cold does the vtec still work when the engine is cold?

T-onedc2
24-07-2008, 07:42 PM
don't rev a cold engine for starters, and I've found vtec won't engage until a certain temp is reached. I've driven for over 5 minutes partially through suburbia then down a long hill on a cold night and gone to give it a bit and it's just not ready yet, possibly what happened to you.

simon_l
24-07-2008, 07:44 PM
ye right, the car was strait cold as i was test driving it this morning and it was f***ing cold.

johnprocter
24-07-2008, 08:29 PM
LOL why would u try vtec it if the engine hasnt even warmed up mang

simon_l
24-07-2008, 08:40 PM
well its not my car (yet) but its a very good point.

K20A DC5
24-07-2008, 09:08 PM
The type s has the JDM Type R exhaust cam, so the vtec crossover is slighly more noticeable than a Type R, from what ive been told..

I drove one last week, you could deff feel the motor putting out good power over 5k..

Id drive it again warm...
It should put a smile on your face when it engages, if it dont, then something is wrong

FASN8U
24-07-2008, 09:09 PM
yer its always more fun caining someone elses car :p

aaronng
24-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Buy it.

simon_l
24-07-2008, 10:09 PM
im thinkin about it. it seems like a good deal cos the car is in very good nic and has done a lot of hwy km's but the fat that the vtec didnt kick in is a worry and i need to drive for 2 hours to go see it again.
can i get confirmation that vtec wont kick in when the car is cold?

Fuzz21
24-07-2008, 10:27 PM
i had a dc2 vtir and vtec didnt kick in when it was cold.
and a few ppl told me that was normal. have to have the car warmed up before vtec can engage.
when u go see it again. check the oil levels while your there to. just so u get a little hint of what the owner treated it like.

good luck with the buy

aaronng
24-07-2008, 10:34 PM
im thinkin about it. it seems like a good deal cos the car is in very good nic and has done a lot of hwy km's but the fat that the vtec didnt kick in is a worry and i need to drive for 2 hours to go see it again.
can i get confirmation that vtec wont kick in when the car is cold?

VTEC doesn't work when the engine is cold. You should go and test it again.

simon_l
24-07-2008, 10:45 PM
ok. thanks heaps for all your input guys it is very much appreciated.
ill go test drive it tomorrow and if all is ok i think ill buy it.
hopefully after i get my car i will be able to repay the favor (maybe in the noob section)

Hullabaloo
25-07-2008, 10:42 AM
if the car is stock, in terms of sound, you can't hear the change over as much as on the dc2r.

simon_l
25-07-2008, 11:15 AM
ye i just spoke to the guy from honda who has been servicing the car every 10k since new and he said that the car is in very good condition and that the vtec is a lot less apparent than in the type - R.

Zakarados
25-07-2008, 11:31 AM
When i was test driving all the type-s' around when i was in the market, you can alwayz tell when it is hitting VTEC and where ur smile begins.

45SET
25-07-2008, 11:38 AM
OMG... so many "hitting vtec" comments in this thread... Nissan fan boys would have a field day :p

On a K20 VTEC won't engage when the engine is cold.

simon_l
25-07-2008, 12:07 PM
im going out to purchase the car today.
i am so f***ing excited.
thanks again for or your helps guys it is invaluable.

T-onedc2
25-07-2008, 12:42 PM
OMG... so many "hitting vtec" comments in this thread... Nissan fan boys would have a field day :p
I cringe whenever I see that too lol

im going out to purchase the car today.
i am so f***ing excited.
thanks again for or your helps guys it is invaluable.
Show us pics and all when you get it, you know, that old chestnut....:p

Zdster
25-07-2008, 12:49 PM

If you were thinking of buying any car, why would you drive it hard cold? :o

johnprocter
25-07-2008, 01:30 PM
iam pretty sure he gets the point

simon_l
26-07-2008, 01:07 AM
thanks john,
i didnt end up getting the car today for revs check showed outstanding finance, but it sounds like it should all be fixed up by Monday so hopefully with a bit of luck ill have the car by then.
i did go out and drive 2 more Type S's today though, and the first one (the one im trying to buy) is probably the best of them all mechanically. the vetc on the S is definitely a hole lot less apparent, a little upsetting really i thought it would sound a little more angry than that. but handling and comfort wise it is such an outstanding little car.
what mods should i do to get it a little more angry sounding? especially top end?
i will definitely post some pics when i get it.

genghiskhan
26-07-2008, 05:22 AM
thanks john,
what mods should i do to get it a little more angry sounding? especially top end?
i will definitely post some pics when i get it.

probably an air intake system

air23box
26-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Vtec is working when the engine running in certain temp......if the engine is not warm up yet then the vtec sys won't work coz it's not warm up and not enough oil pressure to engage Vtec.......a good Cai can give you very good noticeable vtec engage feel in both power and sound.......do not get something like apex pod filter coz it won' t produce any better power compare to stock. If you have a tight budget sth like Ingen Cai is a good product to consider. Mugen airbox or GruppeM will give you even better performance gain. I still remember after I put my Mugen airbox in ......it keep putting smile on ur face everyday when you vtec it.....good luck with your buy and hope that helps....

Mitsubishi
28-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Just keep in mind, the DC5S won't have a killer crossover. DC2 and DC5R yes, DC2 YES - not the S.

Slap in an intake, and I'll edit this post once you let us know the result!

GSi_PSi
30-07-2008, 12:06 AM
lol forgive my noobness but i thought the i-vtec engines dont have a crossover point but stay on all the time, unlike dohc vtec...cause my mates dc5 luxury doesnt have a cross-over point...

ekhybrid
30-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Just keep in mind, the DC5S won't have a killer crossover. DC2 and DC5R yes, DC2 YES - not the S.

Slap in an intake, and I'll edit this post once you let us know the result!

LOL
ok buddy

simon_l
30-07-2008, 09:40 PM
just thought i would let you guys know the type s deal didnt go through unfortunately. the guy never managed to get his finances worked out :(.
so i am back on the hunt again.

mrntegra
31-07-2008, 11:58 PM
thats bad luck mate. there will be more. You'll love having a dc5 S. I ve got 1 and i love it. jst be careful wit the gearbox.. make sure u change the oil.

Mitsubishi
31-07-2008, 11:59 PM
LOL
ok buddy

:wave:
k

ekhybrid
01-08-2008, 03:04 AM
:wave:
k

noobs like u make my day LOL

Zakarados
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
thats bad luck mate. there will be more. You'll love having a dc5 S. I ve got 1 and i love it. jst be careful wit the gearbox.. make sure u change the oil.

I'm running a DC5S as well
How often do you change ur tranny oil and why?

Back on topic, yeah ull love the Type S. Had mine for around 3 months.. Happy as! handling is the best!

aaronng
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
noobs like u make my day LOL

Made my day too. haha

aaronng
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
lol forgive my noobness but i thought the i-vtec engines dont have a crossover point but stay on all the time, unlike dohc vtec...cause my mates dc5 luxury doesnt have a cross-over point...

That's because the Luxury has fuel-economy vtec. Only the intake cam has vtec and the intake runners are not optimised for high RPM. it's like putting half-arsed VTEC on a DC4 GSI. The Type S has performance VTEC, on both intake and exhaust cams, just like the Type R.

i-VTEC just means that there is VTC on the intake cam in addition to VTEC. There is still a cross over point like traditional VTEC. Just less apparent because of the VTC smoothing out the torque hole.

GSi_PSi
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
ahhk thanks 4 clearing that up... makes want dc5R or S now