PDA

View Full Version : integra... or 180sx..

KbaTz
25-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Hey all,
as you can tell this is my first post, so i guess i'll get things started.
I've been looking at buying a 180sx for a long time now but im having second thoughts due to petrol and insurance being a lot because im only 18yrs old.
So then that got me looking at an Integra. I would love to buy a Type R but due to the cost of it and that it doesnt have a sunroof or air-conditioning :( lol. instead of having those to little things.. it obviously has a lot of better standard modifications... mmm recaro seats *drools*.
So instead of a Type R i figured i could buy a Vti-r model and then do a few mods, nothing to extreme for now, but in the long run assuming i still own the car in a few years time, maybe a nice turbo setup.

that pretty much sums up my story lol so my question's to you all is do you think its worth buying the Integra Vti-r model over the Type R? Would a 180sx be more fun because of the speed compared to the Integra. Has anyone had experience and owned both or driven both of these cars and could share there thoughts. thanks in advance :D

Cheers,
Kris

teaseR
25-07-2008, 11:39 AM
if you were to buy an integra buy the type r. i know its a few more thousands if but if u have the funds go for it. i had a vtir before. started to modded it to be a type r, seats, steeringwheel etc, however, realise its never going to be a type r. So i sold it and got myself one.

PS. type r does come with aircon.

45SET
25-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Since when hasn't a Type R come with aircon? Have you been looking at the JDM DC2r?

180sx = 15 year old car, Import, I'm guessing because your 18 you would be getting a N/A version.
DC2r = 10 year old car (MAX!), Aus delivered, top of the line version, cult car etc

Your buying the car, you decide what you want.

T-onedc2
25-07-2008, 12:21 PM
My good friend has an RPS13 '98 model low km example with 3" dump pipe and exhaust.
The two cars couldn't be more different in driving feel, now you'd expect me to be biased on a Honda forum, I am, but not because of the brand.

When I drive my mates car he lets me have a real go, on boost it's great fun in any gear, feels a lot faster than my DC2, but really it's not.

From stand still the 180 is a snail until at least 2750rpm where it begins to pick up, 3000-4500rpm is best but it tapers off too early, change gear, BOV sounds, wait for boost AGAIN, then go.

Basically I always get out frustrated at how unresponsive the engine is, especially around town, pulling out into streets etc.

Back in my car torque gets me going from 1000-1500rpm with no engine vibration and builds to redline 8200rpm. No flat spots, just useable power and response everywhere.

180's are hard to launch properly with boost, in a straight line stock for stock, DC2 likely win only just. Modify the 180 as above, DC2R may be equal. Add corners and Honda jumps ahead, even stock DC2 with all it's body roll actually handles very well.

Drive both and decide for yourself.

EDIT: 180 is very cramped for leg room and storage space everywhere, Integra is way more comfy and cleverly packaged.

absolutR
25-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Two completely different car's there mate, each with their own style of "fun".. I know with my type r, i blow 180sx's out of the water with speed so theres no lacking within the integra's capacity. This was pretty much my question, both cars have the compact sports car look but as you'll find when you test drive both, the differences are amazing. 180sx is no where near as beautiful to drive compared to a type R, its rough and plain on the inside and uncomfortable. Where as the integra, while maintaining its racecar heritage, it has a sex appeal and quality of design that is always greater than the 180.

Imo honda > nissan in build quality

Unless of course all you want to do is through a car sideways around the streets then the 180 is for you (but then you'll just go through tyres and diffs n wheel alignment all the time lol)

dc2dc2dc2
25-07-2008, 12:36 PM
turbo > n/a

SHOGUNOVDDRK
25-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Ive driven a n/a Silvia (SR20) and it was a nice drive

but imo i think the Teg would be a better choice (for what you will be paying and what you will get)

How much is your budget though?

the Silvia (which to my knowledge has the same pedal/similar pedals then the 180) is very cramped (but then again there is the slide side of things) and in general it felt like a very cramped car (that coming from me driving a 3G civic daily)

someone here had said that the teg is a cult car...that is true but IMO the 180 can/is considered a cult car aswell

GreekWarrior
25-07-2008, 01:40 PM
quick question though, is this your first car?

If so I'd go the integra, purely based on cost because that's the main reason you can't decide correct?

with the 180sx the insurance will ram you up the ass because it's a turbo import, and I'm pretty sure that not many places will insure an 18 year old driving a turbo import anyway. And the type R's aren't exactly cheap either, in fact I think it's more.

but if you have the money then grab one of them.

in my opinion though you should get the vti-r.

45SET
25-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Agree that the S13 series is a cult car also... but not in the same way a DC2r. When was the last time you rear a car magazine (not modified based) that praised the S13? When was the last time you read a car magazine that said the DC2r was the best FWD car ever made...?

Stock the S13 is nothing special. Its not till you start really changing everything that they because an awesome street car.

I don't think anyone should comment until the original poster states which state he lives in, what budget he has, and if this is his first car.

For all we know he could be 18 and live in NSW that has a 6k budget... so he would be "condemned" to a N/A Silvia... and most probably auto

GreekWarrior
25-07-2008, 02:27 PM
ah yeah true, I for got about p platers laws....that means no turbo anyway..

yeah, type r for sure if you have the money, if not vti-r :thumbsup:

Enigma
25-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Teg for sure. Beautiful drive with all the looks you could want

KbaTz
25-07-2008, 11:58 PM
ah my bad i think i was looking at the JDM type R lol. The 180sx would be turbo because im in SA and the no turbo law hasn't come into play yet :D so thats a plus i guess, but insurance will still kill me.
Yea its going to be my first car but i figured i would rather spend the money i have saved on a decent car then buy an average one first.
I would love a type R but atm i've only got 14k saved. which could get me a decent 180sx or Vti-r. Also from what i have seen cars are more expensive in SA compared to the other states :(
Also what are people paying for insurance on a Type R or Vti-r.

Cheers,

EKVTIR-T
26-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Forget the other 2 and buy an Aristo :)
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/TOYOTA/ARISTO (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/TOYOTA/ARISTO/details.aspx?__sid=11B5CB4117F4&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&State=South%20Australia&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&__Nne=20&Model=ARISTO&R=5923993&__N=4294962861+85+834+285+257+4294954592&Make=TOYOTA&state_id=85&trecs=8)

Power and comfort :)

Blow away both of your choices :thumbsup:

AE092
26-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Insurance is going to hurt
Petrol would be your wallets best friend
and every Dick, Tom and Harry has one

learn to drive a car properly first before doing Fully Sik skiDz. Who knows, it could save your life

air23box
26-07-2008, 06:17 AM
you are comparing orange and apple.......one is NA engine, FF layout and the other is force induction, FR layout......total different car in terms of driverbility and handling......and dun forget you ask this question in a honda base forum and I will assume 99% of the respond is go for the honda.....lol......If you ask me I will tell you the same simply NA is not as thirsty as Turbo and its more daily friendly for beginners......stock to stock a DC2R blows most of the turbo cars from those years.....If you wanna to compare a DC2 and DC2R I will go R bro.......coz in the end you will spend all your $$ to make a DC2 with all the R parts.....so why dun you get an R from the beginniner and work ur way up.....that save you more $$ rather then mod a base to an R.......unless you have plans in the future to buy anyother car......just my 2 cents....

Andw0o
26-07-2008, 06:44 AM
lol, well ive driven both many times; first things first. imho i beleieve the 180 is better then the Vti-R performance wise, then the Type-R is better then the 180 in performance; but then the 180sx is more fun to drive then a Type-R only because of the dori action you can get. only if you are into drift though, if you're only into racing lines and no slip action then the type-R will be more fun for you.

I would suggest the 180sx only because you cant afford a Type-R, alot of my mates have dc2 vtirs and every single one of them are chasing after Type-Rs, building thier cars to immitiate the TypeR, honestly its not that bad of an idea, only... lets face it the Vtir isnt a TypeR and never will be.
Where as the 180sx is a very versatile machine, it has the sr20det for gods sake; mod for mod wise the sr20 will get more response and more power out of similar costing mods then the vtir will get. Everyone is saying go the honda; but none of them have noticed that you cant get a typer, no offence anyone. Petrol will be somewhat of a concern but the sr20 doesnt do too bad with fuel, i should know i drove one daily for a few months s15 but. and i know my friends with the vtirs dont do that well with petrol either; it really depends on the condition of the engine.

last but not least, Its not a tight car if its not a Type R, go the 180sx; because the Vtir isnt a TypeR.

hisoka
26-07-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHI3fYqvYGY

theres your decision right there

TEE.KAY
26-07-2008, 10:24 AM
imo, get a loan and buy a type r. But if thats not an option, 180 >vtir.

45SET
26-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh...

You only have 14k and you can get a trubo 180.

because you can't get a Type R due to funds i would go the 180. Because if you get a VTi-R you'll just wished you had got a Type R.

But in saying that i would get a shitta first and LEARN to drive in that... is saving some money on getting a good car for your first car more important then your life?

TheFranchise
26-07-2008, 10:45 AM
my advice...

if you get a VTiR, you'l end up spending money on it doing this and that..

add that cash onto your 14k and you'll realise in afew months you could have got yourself a DC2R.

So borrow some cash, buy a DC2R...leave it stock and enjoy it the way it is..

While slowly paying the (say 6k) off you borrowed, then once thats done, you can get yourself a BETTER turbo car once you've had 1. the experience and 2. the money to maintain the car.....say a nice EVO or STi.

There would be nothing worse than buying a car and regretting it a short time after.

defect
26-07-2008, 11:21 AM
my advice...

if you get a VTiR, you'l end up spending money on it doing this and that..

add that cash onto your 14k and you'll realise in afew months you could have got yourself a DC2R.

So borrow some cash, buy a DC2R...leave it stock and enjoy it the way it is..

While slowly paying the (say 6k) off you borrowed, then once thats done, you can get yourself a BETTER turbo car once you've had 1. the experience and 2. the money to maintain the car.....say a nice EVO or STi.

There would be nothing worse than buying a car and regretting it a short time after.

amen 2 that.

Andw0o
27-07-2008, 12:37 AM
lol i would not take out a loan at 18 years of age.
honestly speaking its better just to get the 180sx.
unless you have a full time job or a really well paying casual job
also the way the economy looks at the moment u dont want to take aloan either
im not saying that the dc2r isnt a great car, coz face it its a bloody good car
but a loan at 18 years of age, just for a car isnt worth it imho

specialst
27-07-2008, 02:27 AM
pm sent

tekung89
27-07-2008, 11:35 AM
VTIR ftw, lols in terms of reliability, P plater safe for resale it will be much easier, petrol, response, insurance, vtec.

but yer ur really comparing two different animals and they all have their pro's and con's. all in all for simplicity sake and less of a headache, go NA and snap up a vtir.

i've driven a 180sx too, fun cars with plenty of torque, flutter, pull, kick outs but if i was in ur shoes, vtir

[ricer]
27-07-2008, 12:24 PM
vtir and boost that

absolutR
27-07-2008, 07:38 PM

i took a loan out for 10k just before the end of last year to match with my savings to get a type r. i had a shitbox before the type r though and i've been around cars since i was little so i'm not sure if that changes it but... i took the loan, have payed over 8k of it off, attend uni full time and have further put heaps more into the car already. and i'm 19 turning 20 in december.

just pay whatever you can spare off your loan every week and extra on holiday's etc..

rbk_212
27-07-2008, 08:24 PM
comparing two different animals here, with all this discussion on which car is better people seem to be forgetting one thing...it's near impossible to find an unmolested 180. id still go a honda(ANY honda) over a 180 in terms of build quality and economy. Performance is subject to whatever modifications you wish to make...

dc2_itr
27-07-2008, 08:46 PM
hey champ,
my last car was a 180sx, fun car and quite quick, but as whats been said, build quality isnt too crash hot, you don't really know the history of the car being an import and all, insurance, hassled by cops, and quite scary to drive in the wet, feel alot safer in my honda, you can have fun in it without leaving brown marks in your undies lol, and feels much more solid in terms of build quality and reliability...just my 2c
cheers

ChrisSX
28-07-2008, 01:03 AM
What you SHOULDN'T get from someone who has owned BOTH a 180sx (my first car) and DC2R (my third car).

1.As a daily car, the TypeR is far better. 180sx have no down-low torque and it's one of those cars that after a while you dread getting into every morning. It's not something you really want to jump in and go pick up milk from down the road in. The TypeR is a joy to drive all the time unless it's over pot holes.

2.Build quality in a 180 is absolutely horrible. It rattles... ALOT. Car doesn't feel very tight. I find that the Integra is far more refined engine and build quality wise.

3.180sx are getting on in years, and as such it's very difficult to find a good example. It's not that they're unreliable, it's just that by now, most are at the age when stock parts need replacing and it can get pricey. Dont buy a car with the intention of fixing this and that, because things rarely turn out how you want it.

4.180sx have shocking handling unless you have coilovers. Vtir is better stock for stock than a 180.

5.Fuel prices on a turbo car will destroy you. Insurance is about the same for the Integra and 180.

Now dont get me wrong, 180sx are great cars once you put money into them and I'm not being biased because this is OzHonda; it's just the honest opinion of someone who's owned both cars. I would still love a Type-X some day, but as a drift/thrash car, not a daily driven one.

G-Stick
28-07-2008, 03:30 AM
imo just get a vtir. mod it the way u want. and wen u have enough money for the type r. sell of the vtir and throw all the mods over to the type r and sell of wat u dont need.

its going to be ur first car so just get the vtir, u dont want to have the risk of smashing the type r do u? which might cost u more to fix. learn how to drive and wen ur confident get a better and faster car

Hullabaloo
28-07-2008, 01:17 PM

*puts on sensible hat* Agreeded, taking out a car loan at this age isn't a wise thing to do unless you're really good with money and like Andw0o said you've got a solid job. i'd get a cheaper run around that handles well and save up, either for a really good non thrashed (is that even possible?) condition sr20det 180sx once you've got more driving exp up your sleeve, or a dc2r. *takes off sensible hat*

As above people have said, a dc2 vtir is more likely to be in better condition and be less hassles....

also note. the 180sx you're looking at... are you looking at SR20DET's or CA18DETs?

hmm... with $14k you could also consider an mx5? so you don't have to worry about turbo problems/insurance but you still get fuel economy and rwd?

KbaTz
29-07-2008, 12:38 PM
cheers guys for all the replies.
If i was to get a vti-r i would probably get left behind when driving with my friends which would be annoying because they all drive supras, skylines, s15's etc. i would rathre borrow money from my parents and pay them back instead of taking out a loan but i doubt they would lend me 10k lol.

if i was to get a 180sx i would probably go interstate to melbourne because the cars are so much cheaper and there is alt more, same would be if i was to buy a Type R.

such a hard decision :( because i know if i make the wrong one i'll be regretting it, so i'm going to go and test drive a few soon.

Cheers,

[ricer]
29-07-2008, 12:51 PM
like i sed
boost a vtir

would be so much fun beating ur friends turbo cars hehehe

STOCK
29-07-2008, 01:58 PM
;1826920']like i sed
boost a vtir

would be so much fun beating ur friends turbo cars hehehe

yeh that

1900-hustler
29-07-2008, 02:48 PM
screw both of them
get a motorbike and be the envy of all your friends & teh ladies ;)

most issues have been covered .. imo save your stash of cash and wait until you got the money to afford something you like

45SET
29-07-2008, 02:58 PM
If i was to get a vti-r i would probably get left behind when driving with my friends which would be annoying because they all drive supras, skylines, s15's etc.

If your friends jumped off a cliff... does that mean you have to to?

Seriously, go drive the cars and decied for yourself.

we tec
29-07-2008, 03:14 PM
you need to go out and see for yourself, get what YOU want, if i where you i wouldnt worry about your friends, money, job, parents play a big part in what they can afford and what you can afford, this is your 1st car so you have alot to learn buying a turbo car to me is jumping in the deep end, i had a boosted starion which was nothing but constant niggling problems, i have a few cars since then and now have a vtir, no problems just service it and look after it and you wont have drama's or like everyone's saying hold of and get a type r..... turbo = money, it all depends how deep your pockets are. also finding a turbo car that hasnt been abused will be hard, it not hard to boost them up with a boost controller and sell it without one and say its never been boosted. you'll be much safer getting n/a, but as i said its your decision do what you want.

RICER23Q
29-07-2008, 03:58 PM
180 ftw!

Seriously...

jdm_kid
30-07-2008, 08:46 PM
180sx too old. step up the game.

G-Stick
30-07-2008, 09:02 PM
not really, get a 97 type x :thumbsup:

rpm boy
31-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Ok ive been in the same boat as you for a while now as well... the main thing you have to do is work out what you really want the car for and then get the most practicle option for your usage. now fair enough the 180 is a well ballanced car and has great aftermarket support, but mots people think of buying a rwd for drifting and drags, and i mean if thats the case go and buy one and do it up but then the car will be useless for a daily and if you attempt eighter of the 2 things on the street ur bound to get caught. now with the integra stock for stock the teg is faster plus has better hangling straight out of the box and aftermarked support for it is just as good for the 180 and you can also get it to go down the 1/4 as fast or faster than a 180... drifting wise u might have to work the HB a bit harder, but the main thing to do it work out what u actually want the car for and then get whatever is best suited
My 2c

T-onedc2
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
not really, get a 97 type x :thumbsup:
it's still a dressed up '88 model chassis with new seats

EKVTIR-T
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah a chassis that has been a proven performer in various forms of motorsport..

Bit like a late model dc2/dc2r.
93 model platform :)

T-onedc2
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
5 years in the motoring industry is a long time. The 180 chassis should be compared to DA's

G-Stick
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
it's still a dressed up '88 model chassis with new seats

and a 99 dc2 is the same as a 93 dc2.

i drive a 97 model 180 every day and i can tell u its not the same as a 88 model 180.

T-onedc2
09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
and a 99 dc2 is the same as a 93 dc2.

i drive a 97 model 180 every day and i can tell u its not the same as a 88 model 180.
How so?

Certainly it will feel tighter as it's newer but the overall design dates back to '88 model CA18's

eg. DC2 & R (not DC4) had stronger reinforced rear chassis and body structure

ps I'm not havin a go, but info is good :)

G-Stick
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
How so?

Certainly it will feel tighter as it's newer but the overall design dates back to '88 model CA18's

eg. DC2 & R (not DC4) had stronger reinforced rear chassis and body structure

ps I'm not havin a go, but info is good :)

yea exactly, it feels alot better, newer or fresher being the newer car that is it.

its pretty much like the dc2, and comparing a 99 to a 93. a nwer car will generally be in better condition

ps : not having a go at the dc2s ;) as ive owned 3 dc2's so far :thumbsup:

Jarkz
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
both are fun cars to drive.

As I've owned & driven both (well not a DC2, but an EG with an H22a).

Depends if you want to nail the apex, or faint it & lift the handbrake.

Different horses for different courses.

I'd grab a DC2 for re-sale purposes and being easier to live with imo.

rpm boy
13-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Can i just throw another car in the mix (sorry for the hijack) but whats your thoughts on the rx7 series 6,7,8 compared to a DC2R?

specialst
13-08-2008, 07:13 PM
5 years in the motoring industry is a long time. The 180 chassis should be compared to DA's

Go the old school DA3 Teg =D

i got one (along with a DC2) and its never missed a beat, a couple of dings never stopped it from going thru the corners!

leech
15-08-2008, 04:04 PM
i have a 180sx, heaps more fun to drive than my teg was, but its not as nice on the inside and its old. but saying that its still alot quicker then my integra was

burak213
23-12-2008, 11:13 PM
why waste so much money on your first car?

get a cheap car for now and when your on your blacks or your 25 get a decent sports car.

Riviera
24-12-2008, 09:42 AM
go the teg

cause ur 18 you wouldnt be allowed turbo...

and a NA 180 will have no chance against even a vti-R integra...

i put my EK4 against my mates 180, he hadnt rebuilt the motor but was running
13psi +exhaust upgrades + BOV lalala, and once i got moving i kept with him,
due to the excess amount of revs that honda is known for lol, he was shifting to second at my 5500rpm...
he beat me by 2 car lengths in the end and i wasnt alone in the car...

1.6NA leaking oil vs turbo1.8 +mods pretty good to me...
i say go the type R you'll have more fun and wont get bored, +max respect:thumbsup::honda:

VTECMACHINE
24-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Integra definately.

G-Stick
24-12-2008, 09:56 PM
you guys are too bias, he should just test drive them and see how he likes them

Riviera
24-12-2008, 10:02 PM
you guys are too bias, he should just test drive them and see how he likes them

seriously... buying a NA 180 is just nonsense... it'll be so gay

dc4t
24-12-2008, 10:21 PM
eg b18cR! its in ur budget and faster than both

dc4t
24-12-2008, 10:26 PM
or

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2056064#post2056064

!

jen137
24-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a 180 (turbo) & it's very fun to drive. But yeah petrol is a lot more & insurance is a killer for full comp (I'm 21 and my original quote was $3800) so I opted for 3rd party fire & theft.. Insurance would be pretty expensive for both cars regardless though.
But having driven both cars (bf has a DC2R), they both have their pros and cons, so would be best to test drive both and decide what you really want out of the car.
Having said that, I love my car more :D lol

xtercii
27-12-2008, 02:12 PM
the OP hasn't logged on for a month, most likely he bought something else other than a honda and will probably never log onto this forum ever again hehe...

GreekWarrior
27-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I dont blame him :p