PDA

View Full Version : Turbo advice?

hondavti25
25-07-2008, 06:23 PM
hey guys, was talking to my mechanic today about doing a conversion and the we spoke about a turbo option which he could do a fair price. what we came up with and i am just toying with the idea but this is what we came up with in short was this
Mitsubitshi TD04 or 5 turbo out of an EVO
A custom manifold and a Ebay cooler and piping
Hondata S100
and everything else needed to run a low boost set up, wasnt to sure if ill need injectors straight up and eventually fuel pump and the rest but the first stage is just a really basic set up to increase a bit of power. Goal is just to run around 120-30kw set up eventually. Does this sound like a decent idea?

VTi_b0i
25-07-2008, 06:30 PM
It is a decent idea yes, a TD05 would do ur car fine, just like the GReddy kits, Dont get an ebay cooler tho, IC arent that expensive anyways.
U will still need injectors, Fuel pump, ECU as u said, U can get decent manifolds around the place if you dont want to pay for a custom one...
But there are always little extra things u never thought of that u need to get aswell... it does all add up

hondavti25
25-07-2008, 06:43 PM
yeah cheers for the advice, IC? sorry never heard of it? and yeah as for the injectors more then likly add them in and fuel pump is only 140. Id leave the exhuast 2.5 for now and upgrade at a later stage. As for making it leagle i have a really good engineer that is a mates with a friends dad who will do me a decent deal. Most expensive part is the tune, and where to get it in brisbane. Any idea on what brand manifold i could find for a fair price dont trust ebay to much aye.

VTi_b0i
25-07-2008, 06:49 PM
you could try get one from Gredy as their kits use that turbo?
u also need a down pipe off the turbo,
IC = Intercooler lol
u may also need a BOV & Waistgate, boost controller, oil and vacuum lines lol it all adds up...
thats why most people buy kits.
The Greddy kits are good as a base start if ur on a budget

hondavti25
25-07-2008, 06:51 PM
yeah that is the other option the mechanic will set up all the lines ect IC lol sorry thought you where refering to a brand IDOIT! um if the kit this guy pulls up is over the price of an imported Greddy kit then of course ill go for the Greddy. Just getting a good idea coz this is somthing ill be doing with in 8-10 weeks if it works out.

VTi_b0i
25-07-2008, 06:54 PM
well hey if its cheap why not? but yeahh if u want less hassles and to know everything fits properly just get a pre made kit lol

hondavti25
25-07-2008, 06:59 PM
As far as i am concerned i dont care if they have trouble fitting it etc i am not doing it lol. The guy knows what his doing his got a fair few cars in his collection and so do the other guys all running reliable set ups with good numbers so i trust them with it. Id be happy with a low boost set up that is a bit faster then what i am running now just for some extra fun. I cant justify spending 10G plus on the current car so meh.

What about just somthing like a Greddy Emange and a tune for Ecu? or is that to much of a cut corner?

VTi_b0i
25-07-2008, 07:02 PM
lol yeahh understandable only problem being, cheap usually means not very reliable. and if u end up having to replace parts later, or breaking down everywhere, ull wish u hadnt of done it. lol

DLO01
25-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Like Vti_boi said. And when you get used to the increase in power, you'll just want more. Then your back at the begining.

hondavti25
25-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Um i dont think the parts theses guys will be using will be cheap its all brand new gear only cheap parts would be the cooler everything else is good. its a brand new mitsubitshi turbo RC injectors S100 extra ... it should only be cheap due to the mates rates. i hope lol

VTi_b0i
25-07-2008, 07:54 PM
lol well if thats the case go for it :D

hondavti25
28-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Still researching the options the 92-95 kit would fit my ej8 from memory? And then all i have to add 550cc Rc injectors for 450ish Walbro fuel pump for 140 and ebay cooler 300. Would boost controler be nessesary at first? And id need to get a conversion harness for the ecu wouldnt it?

Sexc86
29-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey champ

The kits on the usa ebay arnt too bad. for Pipeing, Cooler & BOV. Good Value Too. However i wouldnt got the td04/td05. The turbo is what you need to spend decent money on 1000+. Get something Ball Bearing, Oil cooled and Water cooler. Gt28 is the way to go. Massiver difference between a good turbo and a average turbo.

If you really want something that you not gonna loose iterest in.. in terms of lack of power. Then custom piece together your setup. Its not hard and you can slowly do it over time buying quality parts.

Lyle

hondavti25
29-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, this would be just as a starter to get me started and then after that move to a better turbo and ECU and then later down the track an engine to

Sexc86
29-07-2008, 08:16 PM
man no point just throwing money away... decide what you want first and then go strait for it. Rather then blowing money on something you know your are just going to get rid of.

hondavti25
29-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Well i dono aye, i mean lukzen (not to sure on spelling) his gained decent results considering he is using a simular kit its all i am after maybe an extra 5-10kws but 130ish id be happy with. I aint after a major project just a solution to increase power and save money and do it safly Greddy kit seems to be the go.

Sexc86
29-07-2008, 08:46 PM
yep sure thing... thats no problem but if you know you are going to want more in the future (your are planning to buy the kit.... pay to install then tune... then remove it for something better) you better of going strait to your primary goal... rather then spending money in places that you know you are going to sell up in.

If you know long term your going to be happy with the greddy limits 130/140 wkw. Then sure go strait for it (Y) you can get plenty of fun outa that sorta power.

hondavti25
29-07-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah thanks man ill do some thinking. I think if i want more power from that id have more fun and have better results from something AWD or RWD any ways lol so see what happens

Lukezen27
30-08-2008, 06:10 PM
yeah thanks man ill do some thinking. I think if i want more power from that id have more fun and have better results from something AWD or RWD any ways lol so see what happens

Can't send to you in box bro so here ya go

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZracingimporter

andy9999
30-08-2008, 06:27 PM
oi pastey pm me i have a d series turbo kit with all you need would hook you up. have a d16y8 as well if interested in getting the hole thing the motor with the power fc tune pulled 141kw pm me

Lukezen27
30-08-2008, 06:37 PM
oi pastey pm me i have a d series turbo kit with all you need would hook you up. have a d16y8 as well if interested in getting the hole thing the motor with the power fc tune pulled 141kw pm me

List turbo parts and motor mods for 141kw!

nd55
31-08-2008, 12:34 PM
> we spoke about a turbo option which he could do a fair price.

Edelbrock do a quality D16y8 turbo kit.

I'm sure a couple of japanese manufacturers do too.

If you're considering spending $$$ on other people working on your baby, then this might be an equivalently priced alternative.

I believe there's no shortage of people running K20/24 motors here which could do a vanilla k20 for about the same price.

People go D16's cause they're cheap. If you have a reasonable budget then look further and get the benefit of an LSD and better gear ratios.

Alternatively, sway bars, good rubber and an LSD would be a more usable/fun way to dispose of some cash.

> I cant justify spending 10G plus on the current car so meh.

Take it from someone's who's already travelling the d16 path. $2-3000 doesn't go very far if others are turning the spanners and you're sourcing brand name new parts.

Nick.

hondavti25
31-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah see what happens aye i dono about a k20 for the same budget as the turbo kit. turbo kit will probs set me back 3000 + labour and engineering i think any ways. ATM its not a huge priority once i am sure ill take it from there.

andy9999
31-08-2008, 08:54 PM
d16y8
garret gt28/71 bb turbo
front mount
3" exuasht
walbro fuel pump
fuel rail 550 rc injectors
plateum plugs
power fc
low compresson gasket
running 9psi
made 141 on 11psi safe tune
run it daily on 9

nd55
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
andy9999,

what's the gt28/71 spool rpm on our little d16's?

You got a dyno graph you can share?

What sort of times?

Nick.

Lukezen27
02-09-2008, 02:20 PM
andy9999,

what's the gt28/71 spool rpm on our little d16's?

You got a dyno graph you can share?

What sort of times?

Nick.

Yes please!

andy9999
02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
it spools around 3.5
as i bought the car with the setup i dont hav the dyno charts thats wat i have been told i want to still get my hands on it. the car goes well just not happy with the exhuast gettin a better one and the intercooling piping is all over the joint so i need to tidy it all up.

aimre
02-09-2008, 11:00 PM
dude, i reckon u should read up some more. And not on here either.

www.turbod16.com

no offence to this site, but theres only like 4-5 people who know there stuff here compared to a whole site in the US

Weq
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
aimre, you wasteing your time... This guy is getting a spoon engine installed. He knows what his talking about!

Lukezen27
04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
dude, i reckon u should read up some more. And not on here either.

www.turbod16.com (http://www.turbod16.com)

no offence to this site, but theres only like 4-5 people who know there stuff here compared to a whole site in the US

Hey Alex

Yeah I'd love to sign up and I've tried 3 times and now run out of e-mail address's lol

Something to do with:

What is COPPA?
COPPA, or the Child Online Privacy and Protection Act of 1998, is a law in the United States requiring websites which can potentially collect information from minors under the age of 13 to have written parental consent or some other method of legal guardian acknowledgment, allowing the collection of personally identifiable information from a minor under the age of 13. If you are unsure if this applies to you as someone trying to register or to the website you are trying to register on, contact legal counsel for assistance. Please note that the phpBB Group cannot provide legal advice and is not a point of contact for legal concerns of any kind, except as outlined below.

Anyone know the fax number to send the signed form onto I can't seem to find it

EGB18CT
04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
lol spoon motor.

to mis matched turbo for d16 especially one that not pushing the envelope build wise. better off with a gt28rs

Aza
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey Alex

Yeah I'd love to sign up and I've tried 3 times and now run out of e-mail address's lol

Something to do with:

What is COPPA?
COPPA, or the Child Online Privacy and Protection Act of 1998, is a law in the United States requiring websites which can potentially collect information from minors under the age of 13 to have written parental consent or some other method of legal guardian acknowledgment, allowing the collection of personally identifiable information from a minor under the age of 13. If you are unsure if this applies to you as someone trying to register or to the website you are trying to register on, contact legal counsel for assistance. Please note that the phpBB Group cannot provide legal advice and is not a point of contact for legal concerns of any kind, except as outlined below.

Anyone know the fax number to send the signed form onto I can't seem to find it

sounds like ur selecting that ur under the age of 13.... at the very start of registration it will ask u this

Lukezen27
05-09-2008, 08:52 AM
sounds like ur selecting that ur under the age of 13.... at the very start of registration it will ask u this

Yeah I know but I've looked for that and can't find it :p

aimre
06-09-2008, 11:49 PM
To continue with the registration procedure please tell us when you were born.

Before 05 Sep 1995 :: On or after 05 Sep 1995

as sonn as u press register

Lukezen27
06-09-2008, 11:52 PM
To continue with the registration procedure please tell us when you were born.

Before 05 Sep 1995 :: On or after 05 Sep 1995

as sonn as u press register

Yeah Alex I put my age every time lol

aimre
24-09-2008, 08:30 PM
so as soon as u press register, the above page comes up, click on the left one