PDA

View Full Version : Headers to Exhaust

Lukey
26-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Ok, I'm confused, can someone like name what the components are that go from headers to exhaust are? Maybe like a diagram or something?

And before u say "use search", I already have with no success.

gheybo
26-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Headers --> cat --->your catback b-pipe--->your muffler

Lukey
26-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok, thanks. So would be it wiser to get headers before exhaust? or can one be modified to fit the other?

beeza
26-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Do it all at once.

Headers
hi flow cat
resonator
Muffler
and piping offcoarse

cristian
26-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Ok, thanks. So would be it wiser to get headers before exhaust? or can one be modified to fit the other?

my first mod on my car was a 2" piping from the car back...still had stock headers and stock cat...

being a small motor, i didnt really notice the difference until it got to the top end of the rev range...

once i got the headers and cat changed, thats when things fell into place...

BiLL|z0r
26-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't forget the flex pipe after the headers in some circumstances. Small flex pipe = not much engine movement, londer flex pipe = more engine movement.

Lukey
26-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Do it all at once.

Headers
hi flow cat
resonator
Muffler
and piping offcoarse

that should all be included if I buy headers and full exhuast system shouldnt it?

beeza
26-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes.Just make sure the muffler is in there,it should be though.

mclovin
26-07-2008, 04:53 PM
that should all be included if I buy headers and full exhuast system shouldnt it?

i doubt u will get the high flow cat with them but u can get them for around $300.

Lukey
26-07-2008, 05:04 PM
is high flow cat and cat the same thing?

beeza
26-07-2008, 05:15 PM
hi flow cat is far less restricting than a normal cat.No cat is illegal plus back pressure is good for our engines.

Lukey
26-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok, another question, whats resonator do/for?

beeza
26-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Stops your exhaust from being noisy and gives it a nice note.Not sure if it does anything else???

55EXX
26-07-2008, 07:32 PM
straight throught mufflers have a perforated (lots of holes) pipe that runs through the centre of the muffler body. inside the body is sound damping material usually glass wool etc that absorbs sound. now as the exhaust gas passes throught the pipe the sound travels through the hole and is dampened/quietened down by the sound dampening material. the gas flows through but the sound get absorbed into the muffler.

now with the placement of mufflers there is usually one mid car and at the end of the car. the one mid car serves to eliminate low sounds and the rear higher pitched sounds. hence why alot of cars with just a crappy cannon on the rear with no real sound dampening effect has a raspy tinny note.

the reason behing changing exhaust is not only sound but the gain more power top end. but changing the exhaust one is usually looking to increase flow so more top end power can be made. exhaust comes out of the engine in pulses. these pulses push and pull each other along and at at certain speed they work together and flow at an ideal rate so the the pull section of the pulse is well timed and pulls exhaust gas out of the cylinder itself so a more air/fuel is in the cylinder instead of exhaust gas, whcih makes more torque and hence power.

now by inceasing the ease of this flow it spaces the pulses further as more air can flow through the exhaust and smaller/stock pushes them closer together. this will shift the point of better efficency higher or lower in the rpm range. a higher flowing exhaust pushes the point of greater efficency to a higher rpm. because more torque is created at a faster delivery/rpm more power is created.

all of these aspects work togther to create the system. going to big of a diameter piping will increase flow to much and there will be no back pressure and the pulses will be disrupted or deemed useless until over 10krpm.

in saying all of this the power gain from exhuast is minimal anyway.

Webby_roller
26-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Quick question.... instead of a hi-flow cat would a cat off a larger motor car, ie v8, do a similar thing???

hondajazz2005
26-07-2008, 08:22 PM
after fitting header, do we need to tune the car?

vyets
26-07-2008, 09:05 PM
You only need one "header" not afew headers :) just incase your confused lol.

beeza
26-07-2008, 09:07 PM
after fitting header, do we need to tune the car?

No,for a bolt on engine mod you should reset the ECU though to make sure you car is running at it's most efficient.
To do this just remove the battery fuse for 5 mins,put it back in and start the car up,don't touch anything and let it idle for 5 minutes.Turn your car off then on and your done! :thumbsup:

ek4-guy
26-07-2008, 09:10 PM
hi flow cat is far less restricting than a normal cat.No cat is illegal plus back pressure is good for our engines.

my car loves having no cat as you've seen

beeza
26-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes,this is true :)