PDA

View Full Version : ED strutbar DIY???

Webby_roller
26-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody here has made their own swaybar??

I know it will be dodgy but I really cant afford much in the way of pre-made, and I have spoken to a few people with e-bay swaybars and they say they make a small difference, but are way too soft still.

I just want to know what sort of metal should be used and if anybody knows how i should go around doing it!!

Also if anybody has one that would fit an ED or know of a cheap place to pick up a decent quality one just pm me please

Cheers

beeza
26-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Damn!
U would want to get it EXACT or it could be detramental.
I would never do this.

Webby_roller
26-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeh i was worried about that. I was thinking of making it adjustable. Some aftermerket ones have 'screw' type ends so you can make it stiffer or softer. I was considering doing this, as then i don't have to be as exact and could adjust it to suit the car!!!

beeza
26-07-2008, 09:10 PM
It's can be real frustrating knowing what you want and really wanting it but no money to get it.When safety is involved it's just not worth risking.

Webby_roller
26-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Would it really be unsafe??? I imagine using quite a hard alloy, threading the ends and using proper 'screws' to adjust it. Then mounting would just require some proper welding and some good bolts and nuts and just making some mounting plates...

I don't see how the swaybar can be such a safety issue. If it were to break it would just hang in the bay. Unlike a roll cage that some people DIY as if that fails it will be when it is needed and yeh.... I think you can imagine!!!

I don't mean any offense, i was just curious to if anybody had done this before and was wondering what it required and any tips and tricks they learned.

Cheers

Webby_roller
26-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Damm.... sorry mate... I got messed up with my research... I am after building a strut bar, not a swaybar.... I belive this isnt too difficult but you never no...

beeza
27-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh,haha that's coll :)
Yeah strut bar would be easy as.It would be ideal just to rip off say a bar design if you get ya hands on one.That's the best one for the upper struts.The bottom ones can be bought real cheap...

Webby_roller
27-07-2008, 04:50 PM
^^^ Cheers

if anybody has done this and has any tips of tricks, I'm all ears...

jdm_kid
27-07-2008, 05:26 PM
IMO, the cost of making your own strut bar, would prob cos more than one u can buy off a seller

Webby_roller
27-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I reckon yes and no... depending what sort of strut bar you buy or what sort of materials I buy.

I want to make an adjustable one and hey... Nothin better then a bit of DIY!!!

SiReal
28-07-2008, 04:19 PM
if u can weld and know how to transpose a paper template onto metal, be able to cut it and finish, then why not give it a shot.

JasonGilholme
28-07-2008, 04:51 PM
DIY/custom strut bars are quite easy.

If you know someone that has a workshop that you can use, you'd be able to fab one up quite easy. Just need to know how to weld - short courses at tafe are a great way to learn ;).

Once you're done, do yourself a favor and spend a bit of that money you saved on getting it powder coated and you'll have a good looking result.

Webby_roller
28-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, Yeh i will give it a shot, may take some time cuase of uni.

I can weld, but my uncle is a boiler maker soo if mine turns out crapp... will give it for him too do.

Anybody know of a good material too use?? or a place to get the material required from?