PDA

View Full Version : odyssey suspension upgrade

quadrio
28-07-2008, 12:15 AM
im looking at doing a bit more to the suspension on the odyssey, has any one else got strut braces and the rear and front crossmember bracing on their odysseys, what differences did it make and do you think it was worth it?

aka_NSX
28-07-2008, 07:20 AM
IMO its not worth it since Odyssey is just a people mover.......
how fast you are thinking of doing around the corner with your Odyssey ?
I reckon a nice set of coilover will be fine.......

AusAccord
28-07-2008, 10:55 AM
depends on the approach how to mod the Odyssey. for me, its worth for f/r sway and low-arm bars due running at stock suspension. does help a lot esp the sway bars reduce body roll and low-arm bars/crossmember bracing (whatever you call them) increase chassis rigidity. slightly problem of front low-arm bar is it may be scratched once car been lowered.

as aka_NSX said, a nice set of coilover may also do the job but i took a different approach start off mod my people mover

for yr case, try to upgrade yr king springs with stock dampers to coilover and see how you want before spending money on something else you don't need. for me, will still get a set of coilover later this year as want to track the Odyssey :eek: (why not, Japanese, Chinese and Singaporeans all track their Odysseys). will be fun :D:D

evolution
29-07-2008, 12:13 AM
IMO, the bars improved body roll by quite a bit. From stock I remembered feeling like the car was going to flip on its side when I went around round abouts at 'normal' speeds. I went to Sway bars and Lowering springs, gave me more confidence and could not feel the roll much when travelling at 'normal speeds'. After I installed coilovers and a few more bars I can accelarate through them with little body roll.

From that I would say if you just want better handling at normal speeds, then getting the bars, would be enough and cheaper. To be able to do a bit more spirited driving, get coilovers, but I think might cost twice the price of bars.

For me the bars and coilovers are worth the handling improvements and the loss in ride comfort to me is still at an acceptable level.

evolution
29-07-2008, 12:16 AM
depends on the approach how to mod the Odyssey. for me, its worth for f/r sway and low-arm bars due running at stock suspension. does help a lot esp the sway bars reduce body roll and low-arm bars/crossmember bracing (whatever you call them) increase chassis rigidity. slightly problem of front low-arm bar is it may be scratched once car been lowered.

as aka_NSX said, a nice set of coilover may also do the job but i took a different approach start off mod my people mover

for yr case, try to upgrade yr king springs with stock dampers to coilover and see how you want before spending money on something else you don't need. for me, will still get a set of coilover later this year as want to track the Odyssey :eek: (why not, Japanese, Chinese and Singaporeans all track their Odysseys). will be fun :D:D

Thank goodness we stay in different states.... you are begining to poison my mind :p

quadrio
29-07-2008, 01:10 AM
yeah, im mainly leaning at the rear swaybar and strut brace, no point really in doing the front bar as its a front wheel drive

AusAccord
29-07-2008, 08:56 AM
IMO, the bars improved body roll by quite a bit. From stock I remembered feeling like the car was going to flip on its side when I went around round abouts at 'normal' speeds. I went to Sway bars and Lowering springs, gave me more confidence and could not feel the roll much when travelling at 'normal speeds'. After I installed coilovers and a few more bars I can accelarate through them with little body roll.

From that I would say if you just want better handling at normal speeds, then getting the bars, would be enough and cheaper. To be able to do a bit more spirited driving, get coilovers, but I think might cost twice the price of bars.

For me the bars and coilovers are worth the handling improvements and the loss in ride comfort to me is still at an acceptable level.

luckily have same point of view and not my own perception

Thank goodness we stay in different states.... you are begining to poison my mind :p

haha, u never know!!! may be one day you will move to NSW or i may move to WA..... may also be a nation-wide Odyssey owners meet @ Alice Spring (everybody even drive).... still can poison yr mind via here.... cheers mate

evolution
29-07-2008, 10:58 PM
luckily have same point of view and not my own perception

haha, u never know!!! may be one day you will move to NSW or i may move to WA..... may also be a nation-wide Odyssey owners meet @ Alice Spring (everybody even drive).... still can poison yr mind via here.... cheers mate

haha I got antidote for the poison.... lack of funds and nagging wife

Mobil1
31-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello all,

Here's my late intro in an almost ancient thread. Just got a 2nd hand 06 RB1 facelift last dec09, better late then never eh, always wanted but never had the $$. I don't know anything about modding cars except driving them. Planning to do some stuff on it but depends on $$ cash ofcourse and it would probably be in this order, suspension > wheels > simple body kit if all goes well.

Anyway right now I'm on a mission to suss out the suspensions, going for coilovers, and after reading through this forum over 20+ pages, I need some of you guru's expertise. I'm thinking of 3 brands Tein, HKS and Tanabe and I've broken down all the models they have. There is some technical terms which I'm not familiar such as.. spring rate? they vary between 7k-12k, what does higher/lower number means?....height adjustable?they have front and rear with numbers between 0-95, what does this represent?

My preference would tend to lean more towards smooth ride, not so much of folding corners and stuff.. Future rim size would probably be 19" mark.

If anyone could probably give some insight/experience on the following that would be much appreciated. I guess not everyone is going to have everything listed but if you pros could tell just by the spec sheets that would be gold.

Tein:
Basic Wagon
Super Wagon
GT Wagon
Basic Flex Wagon
Super Flex Wagon

HKS:
S-style
C-Wagon+
C-Wagon
Smart

Tanabe:
Sustec Pro 7
Sustec Pro5
Sustec Pro GF
Sustec Pro NF

Thanks alot everyone!

Regards,

Roy

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
i'm not a technical person but will try my best to explain......

spring rate is calculated based on ?kg/mm means it have certain kg by compressed to certain mm. higher the number, its more stiff but meantime will give firmer ride for control. depends on how you want yr ride to choose the spring rate. you will need coilver in order to adjust the height.

"they have front and rear with numbers between 0-95, what does this represent?" - not 100% sure, may be represent the max and min height adjustment of the coilover OR the most desire height for the coilover.

"smooth ride" on 19" - its not gonna to happen in Syd but may be alright in Melb. all subj to personal preference and definition of "smooth ride" on individual feeling (sorry i always say that as its quite subjective)

i'm no experience of all coilover listed below but again try my best to explain while i choose my own set abt 1.5 yrs ago:

Tein (personally not my cup of tea):
Basic Wagon - 10k spring w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover, entry level (not recommend)
Super Wagon - 10k spring w/ stiffness adjustment on dampier coilover, can match EDFC for controlling stiffness inside the car (cost effective set)
GT Wagon - 14k spring w/ stiffness adjustment on damper coilover, can match EDFC for controlling stiffness inside the car (a bit hardcore set)
Basic Flex Wagon - basically the same as Basic Wagon but with Full Length Adjustable means vehicle ride height and spring pre-load can be adjusted independently (not recommend)
Super Flex Wagon - basically the same as Super Wagon but with Full Length Adjustable means vehicle ride height and spring pre-load can be adjusted independently (i'll buy this if Tein the brand you like)

HKS (been told not suitable for rough roads conditions due leaking on dampier, so totally out of my shopping list):
S-style
C-Wagon+
C-Wagon
Smart

Tanabe (have consider this brand upon my purchase):
Sustec Pro 7 - top of the range coilover, height and stiffness adjustment and can match with TEAS for controlling stiffness inside the car according to the car speed
Sustec Pro5 - mid range with more comfortable ride, height and stiffness adjustment and can match with TEAS for controlling stiffness inside the car according to the car speed (this is the model i'm after before but no one import them by that time. now OzHonda trader JDM Concept can get them)
Sustec Pro GF - entry level w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover (not recommend)
Sustec Pro NF - entry level w/o stiffness adjustment on damper coilover (not recommend)

other brands available for RB1 are Ohlins, Buddy Club, Cusco, RSR, Blisten

Atjo
01-02-2010, 02:30 PM
For me i'll get an air suspension as i won't track the car anyway and air force air suspension has 36way damper adjustable so it can be very stiff.

Pocketz
01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Is this Thread for real? Is someone modifying an oddysey?? that'll be worse than that time hot 4's featured a Landcruiser because "it had airbrushing & airbag Suspension" it will be catogorised on the same level as doing up an accord Euro or even a holden commodore, you need to ask yourself "What For"???

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
For me i'll get an air suspension as i won't track the car anyway and air force air suspension has 36way damper adjustable so it can be very stiff.

true and very true... i'm have problems with my pocket..... can't go that deep

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Is this Thread for real? Is someone modifying an oddysey?? that'll be worse than that time hot 4's featured a Landcruiser because "it had airbrushing & airbag Suspension" it will be catogorised on the same level as doing up an accord Euro or even a holden commodore, you need to ask yourself "What For"???

whats wrong with modding an Odyssey????? why we need Hot 4's to feature our mod RB1???? even tho what's wrong???? why people are so surprise when heard modding an Odyssey....only sport car can be modded? have u heard VIP style? box mod in Japan?.... this is a free country and you can do whatever you want except crime (well actually you can when you want to pay the consequence).

sorry, i couldn't hold myself when people asking "why" on modding Odyssey... as simple answer is "I can"

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 02:46 PM
may be later on u can see an Odyssey on track day.....

Atjo
01-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I'll do a good price for you Andy :)

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll do a good price for you Andy :)

haha Dan, i know my limit :(:( but tks yr offer anyway

Mugen_Retro
01-02-2010, 03:03 PM
whats wrong with modding an Odyssey????? why we need Hot 4's to feature our mod RB1???? even tho what's wrong???? why people are so surprise when heard modding an Odyssey....only sport car can be modded? have u heard VIP style? box mod in Japan?.... this is a free country and you can do whatever you want except crime (well actually you can when you want to pay the consequence).

sorry, i couldn't hold myself when people asking "why" on modding Odyssey... as simple answer is "I can"

Haha, leave her alone..

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 03:05 PM
^^ yes sir :) nice rim u have.... post more pics for us to enjoy ;)

Atjo
01-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Well, maybe get that one instead of small stuffs hehe

Pocketz
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM

How far do you plan on getting with it?, the cars design will give it limitations & youll always have people asking themselves why every time you drive past them. most of your mods will prob have to do with suspension which will in turn effect the cars ride quality, whats the point of buying a luxury people mover if your going to be feeling every bump in the road????? what about your family??? i think that the oddysey would have to be the best people mover currently available on the market, even better than the merc R class on so on, why would you want to ruin that?

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, maybe get that one instead of small stuffs hehe

the problem is i have a set of coilover that i love and no complaint fm "financial controller" so its hard to convert to AirRunner even i really love to. u know what i meant

Atjo
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
How far do you plan on getting with it?, the cars design will give it limitations & youll always have people asking themselves why every time you drive past them. most of your mods will prob have to do with suspension which will in turn effect the cars ride quality, whats the point of buying a luxury people mover if your going to be feeling every bump in the road????? what about your family??? i think that the oddysey would have to be the best people mover currently available on the market, even better than the merc R class on so on, why would you want to ruin that?
Have u actually sit or drive the car? It drives great but when you have many people in the car like 5-7 people, you will feel the rear suspension is too soft and make the rear so low. Also you can feel the body roll that's why coilover is much better and you can set the damper as well to make it not bumpy.

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
^^ well said Mod ;) (just realise today)

in addition, modding suspension does not mean u will have to give up the ride quality on everyday usage. u need to get a balance of what u want. i have suspension mod (coilover, sway, strut and low-arm bars) on mine and passengers always complain it rides better than stock. so, should i mod it??

Mobil1
01-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey thanks guys for the great input.

@AusAccord: dude your input is more than what i expected, now atleast I've got a shorlist and a rough idea what to look out for. Yeah and that ohlin of yours is something to look out for. Thanks again

@Atjo: LOL yeah that's definitely something I would ask around for in Asia when I go for holidays, but "air"= $$... but its definitely something to ask around...if the price is right!! Thanks again.

@Pocketz: nah, its not like I'm sending my car into space. I'm kinda noob in this so I just picked out a few of the mainstream brands. I don't think changing suspension is over the top right? just the standard lowered look and better handling without compromising to much comfort.

Mobil1
01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Christ, I've completely missed the entire page2 thinking my reply continued from the end of page 1.

@Pocketz: What they rest said is very true, when you load 7/8 people into the car it just sinks right down and try making a U-turn or just take a normal turn with that mother and you'll know what its like.

@everyone: you reckon $1.5K for Sustec Pro5 is a decent price? Saw some quote from someone in Kuala Lumpur for right around that price.

AusAccord
01-02-2010, 08:12 PM
^^ 1.5k AUD landed/delivered Sustec Pro5 is a damn good price. again not experienced that before but guess it will be towards the soft side but not giving up ride comfort. good luck and have fun on yr shopping :) remember to put up a review later on ;)

evolution
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Just my 2 cents...

For well known brands, if you can get them around the 1.4k to 1.6k brand new shipped I think it would be a very good deal. Just remember to factor in transport cost, GST, custom duties and import tax, these will also add up to total cost.

I believe last I asked abt Ohlins (6 mths ago), it was quoted at 1.8k shipped. Tein Super Wagon (3 years ago) was 3k installed with EDFC. For a bench mark I would suggest calling the Tein distributor in your state for a quote and it should be a good indicator of 'normal' prices. These were Perth prices, Melbourne I think might be cheaper.

Mugen_Retro
01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
^^ yes sir :) nice rim u have.... post more pics for us to enjoy ;)

Thanks mate.. Im not a good photographer, IYAP took a photo of my car and he is just to lazy to post it.. hahaha

2k1cvc
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
odymod is the best :p boo to ones who are against...

Mobil1
21-06-2010, 08:04 PM
guys guys need your opinion here on which to go,

1) Ohlins DFV (Brand new) $1800+
2) Tein GT Wagon (2nd hand) $1300

Its no secret ohlins are world reknown but its only hilo adjustable and they have only one series. The GT on the other hand top of the range in Tein, but 2nd hand and although people have msconception that they might be more tending towards racing/uncomfortable ride, some people who've actually used it reckons its great due to the multiple adjustment ways you can do with it ans you can still get quite decent ride comfort.

I cant really verify anything i said above as i've never done suspension upgrade before so any opinions here would be very much appreciated..

THanks guys

AusAccord
21-06-2010, 08:08 PM
you should know my answer.....

Mobil1
21-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Bro, your answer is ohlins what else hahahah.

ok got 3rd option here

3) Tein GT Wagon + EDFC, (2nd hand) $2,200+

in a dilemma. must make a decision quick as option (2) need someone to hand carry over to AU, option (1) & (3) can be shipped.

BTW do you need to pay duty for used goods? I know it says >$1,000 but I've heard people who brought stuff in which were clearly used like say rims or something which did not get taxed.

AusAccord
21-06-2010, 08:55 PM
always not opt to 2nd hand coilover so rule out both Tein haha...... but choosing between 2 and 3, i'll go for 2 as can't justify AUD 900 for EDFC.... and also the shipping cost whatever it is.... tax issue is purely luck if they pick on you.....

Mobil1
21-06-2010, 09:06 PM
yea dude I dig what you say re 2nd hand sussies, hassle of leakage bla bla bla. I'm inclined with (2) as its less likely to run into trouble with customs coz you're entitled to $900 worth of good duty free and you can pool the value together if in a group.

evolution
21-06-2010, 10:47 PM
With my coilovers I've only adjusted my settings once at install and that's it. With the odyssey rear dampening adjustment is difficult cos u need to pull the entire shock out. So if u think u are going to adjust your settings alot, get the EDFC, but more likely than not, you will only set it once.

At the end of the day, I think get brand new Ohlins will be good as you don't have to worry abt playing around with settings and being new you don't have to worry too much about defects.

Mobil1
21-06-2010, 11:00 PM
hmmm true bro Evo. I'm more worried about Customs LOL.

anyway for whatever its worth these are the photos for the (3) option... looks damn fake coz they look so new..

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6655/gtwagon3.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1088/gtwagon2.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1238/gtwagon.jpg

evolution
21-06-2010, 11:15 PM
^^^ no kidding bro, it looks too new to be second hand. Usually used Tein sets the bottom of the rear struts have got the paint peeled of because of how they are clamped in. This one looks like either it was never fitted or fully resprayed.

AusAccord
22-06-2010, 08:56 AM
why worry abt Customs? Ohlins you got quote AUD 1.8K+ is landed price or just purchase in Japan? if landed then you have nothing to worry abt tax as seller responsible for that.

based on pics you attached of the GT Wagon without descriptions and as Evo advised, either never been fitted or fully re-spayed/re-conditioned. hmm.... good luck!!

Mobil1
22-06-2010, 06:10 PM
bro Accord I think you sold me on the idea of ohlins already. Out of curiosity, whats the lowest drop you can go on ohlins? also its only hi/lo adjustable yeah? need camber kit?
will talk to the guy you recommended at rms. Thanks!

AusAccord
22-06-2010, 07:24 PM
no matter which coilover/spring modded, you still need at least the rear camber kit on RB1 once lowered. Ohlins DFV is only height adjustable no stiffness adjustment. not sure the lowest drop on Ohlins as i can never done that but here is the official website for yr reference. http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/lineup/honda.html

just an advice/recommendation from my experience but you can ignore, get the optional 10k spring (may be extra cost but not sure how much) instead of standard 8k spring with the kit as Melbourne roads are much better than Sydney and u will be more happy. personally i'm not disappointed on Ohlins DFV esp my RB1 is wife's daily with kid, but if i have the optional 10k springs will be better.......

btw, have you said before Tanabe Pro 5 cost AUD1.5k which is very good (have u ask JDMConcept here for Pro5 as they are authorized distributor). Still other brands like JIC and even air sus (look for Ajto) are good as well. keep yr option open.... come on guys, assisting yr fellow RB1 owner here

Atjo
23-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Ask mugen_retro cause he ordered ohlins but with stiffer spring rate.

AusAccord
23-06-2010, 02:45 PM
where is he? Mod Ajto, setup a RB1 meet in Melb la for members to experience the ride.... i'm interested to know how much extra as tempting to change mine to 10K esp trackday is coming.....

Atjo
23-06-2010, 02:48 PM
He's hardly online on ozhonda anymore as he has another car to play with hehe

AusAccord
23-06-2010, 02:58 PM
pls check for me Dan, pls, pls.....

aka_NSX
23-06-2010, 04:41 PM
unfortunately Im still waiting for my TEIN Hybrid to come otherwise I can give you some idea how its perform . . . .

AusAccord
23-06-2010, 04:57 PM
^^ personally i don't want to know on yrs as i'm too damn jealous haha

Atjo
23-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Come to melbourne Andy hehe

aka_NSX
23-06-2010, 09:06 PM
^^ personally i don't want to know on yrs as i'm too damn jealous haha

I will let you be the first one to test drive so you dont need to be jealous anymore, hahaha . . .

I'm hoping I can get everything by the end of AUG since some of the TEIN I shipped it in the container together with the car that coming

then some of them I will go and pick them up myself in the middle of Aug

Mobil1
04-07-2010, 11:40 PM
due to the impending 40k service, i need to cut my budget down for coilovers so i ended up going with the gtwagon.. sigh.. ohwell now just need to wait for the rear cambers to arrive to install..

the word GT kinda worries me though, sounds like its gonna be a hardass right ohwell its kinda too late to regret. if its any consolation i'm not a family man so yeah .. LOL

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6663/img00038201007042012.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/i/img00038201007042012.jpg/)
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8069/img00039201007042012.th.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/img00039201007042012.jpg/)
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7364/img00040201007042012.th.jpg (http://img820.imageshack.us/i/img00040201007042012.jpg/)

AusAccord
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
great pick up and just deal with what u have. u will never know until installed as felling is very subjective. one thing for sure its good on track with 14k spring rate and adjustable stiffness on damper...... remember to post a review!!

evolution
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
14 kgf should be fine, I'm running 12 front 15 rear.

Atjo
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
due to the impending 40k service, i need to cut my budget down for coilovers so i ended up going with the gtwagon.. sigh.. ohwell now just need to wait for the rear cambers to arrive to install..

the word GT kinda worries me though, sounds like its gonna be a hardass right ohwell its kinda too late to regret. if its any consolation i'm not a family man so yeah .. LOL

Where do you live? If you wanna do it with dealer than you have to go with dealer that a bit far from the city. Just shop around or else you can go to a workshop in carnegie as my friends always go to him.

AusAccord
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
14 kgf should be fine, I'm running 12 front 15 rear.

ah.... that's why i heard comments when she sat on my RB1

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi all,
Soon to be new member, end of this month my 2007 ODC should arrive.
Been reading up plenty in the forums and would like to know where can I get the front/rear sway bars in Perth?
Thanks.

AusAccord
08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
^^ welcome for joining this family car section :) :) i don't think any shop will stock any RB1/3 aftermarket parts in AUS as its such a niche market. try to order parts from the shops in OzHonda see if they can order them for you. Please post some pics of your RB1 once arrived. Happy modding!!

evolution
08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Yay!! Another mod Ody in Perth. Why would your 07 be "arriving"? Are u importing one from overseas?

I think, most shops here will not stock the parts, but will most probably be able to ship it in. So as Aus_Accord said, maybe try the traders and ask for quotes. Mine were bought overseas when I went for holidays and they had ready stock.

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

AusAccord - Cheers... will check the shops... might even see about getting friend in Malaysia to ship parts to me... 2007 Silver Luxury... but it's got roof rails... might look to take 'em off... hehehe...

Evolution - I wanted to say that I managed to get an Absolute model shipped in... but alas... just dreaming... I found an Odyssey in QLD and getting it delivered to Perth. Looked at buying locally, but limited stocks in Perth and also prices are just too high. Even with delivery, it's cheaper.

I've been doing my reading in various forums... no one's done a supercharger yet for the Aussie RB1? Malaysians using Unichip but I presume that's only for Absolute models...

AusAccord
08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
hmm.... sounds another hardcore RB1 owner here. yap, no one done SC or Turbo on AUDM RB1 yet. not sure how Malaysian done the SC with Unichip, only info i know is Comptech SC and u have to send stock ECU for them to re-flash otherwise you have to locally tune via pigged back E-Manage Ultimate.

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Not hardcore... same situation as everyone else... the boss limits modding... but... safety comes first.. I can argue that pulling power for an RB1 is "safety related".

I've come from a Forester... and did all the upgraded turbo, suspension, piggyback ecu, etc... and I've pretty much gotten it out of my system... especially when it comes time to return to stock to sell.

Malaysian owners not supercharging... just Unichipping their Absolutes... http://www.myodyssey.com.my/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=809&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=9d4349e131c1d77c281af23a6464bfe9

Mobil1
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM
hi snugs,

if you got Malaysian freinds willing to carry over for you go get UltraRacing bars. In terms of price, you dont really need to scout much as they're all same price quoted by the manufacturer unless you have someone who owns a shop and they willing to cut their margin. Full set comes in 7 parts. You'd need to spend about AUD700. go cehck out their web site they've got photos of what goes where. They won't give you much discount for buying full set anyway so you dont really lose much even if you buy bit by bit.

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mobil1.

I've got a friend in freight shipping... might see if he can freight it to me (FOC preferably).

Atjo
08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought the purple RB1 in Sydney has turbo?

AusAccord
08-07-2010, 03:42 PM
^^ oh my bad, yes thats custom turbo charged

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Ah... found more info on that Turbo'ed RB1. It was sold, but owner who made the modifications was a previous Forester owner too (very modified Forester as well)... details below on the RB1 modifications.

RIDE: 2006 Honda Odyssey RB1

ENGINE: 2.4L K24A

ENGINE Modifications: Custom made turbo kit using a Garrett GT2530 turbo, custom made front mounted intercooler , K & N air filter , Drift supersonic BOV, custom made exhaust 3 inch dump , 3 inch centre pipe , 2.5 inch rear split section with mufflers etc and a Haltech Interceptor Platinum piggy back computer

SUSPENSION : Full airbag suspension , Front Air Ride bag over strut setup , Rear Double Convolute air bag with Pedders strut (Rear custom made , bag and strut separate setup) all ½ inch lines , two Viair C400 compressors , two 12 gallon tanks , with switches

WHEELS AND TYRES: 20 x 8.5 inch Status Dynasty +35 offset all round , wrapped in 225/35 tires , wheel inserts painted peppermint green with a green wall around tire’s

EXTERIOR: all door handles shaved off , custom made rear suicide doors , front and rear guards pumped, flared and lipped 2 inches , custom made engine covers , Honda body kit with fog lights , body all color coded with violet ice pearl , 15% tint all round

INTERIOR: Full retrim : front and rear seats , door skins, dash , centre console, glove box all the pillars all in peppermint Leather, roof lining in peppermint suede . centre console custom made to fit gauges and airbag switches , all plastic sections all paint the same color as the car, Drift boost gauge , Auto gauge vac and air/fuel gauge , Type R water temp and volts gauge , 2 X PSI gauge and digital readout for airbags

AUDIO: Kenwood KVT-739DVD head unit , 2 x 7 inch Directed Audio screens behind front seats, 7 inch Necvox screen in boot, Orion 6.5 inch component speakers in front and rear doors in custom pods , front tweeter custom mounted to A pillar , Orion 6 inch coaxial speakers in rear boot lid , Orion 2400w mono block amp , 4 channel Orion 600w amp ,2 channel Orion 400w amp , 4 X Orion 1000w 12 inch sub woofers, custom made sub boxes in fiberglass and custom made amp rack , Xbox and a Directed Audio capacitor

evolution
08-07-2010, 04:59 PM
A friend told me the car was sold to somebody here in Perth. He said he saw it on the back of a transport truck here.

snug_gles
08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
It's definitely not a family car no more... I just want a litte bit more grunt but would still prefer to be able to use it as per intended... van load of bickering kiddies in the back. I still think a smallish supercharger would suit if only there were space "AND" I win Powerball tonight.

evolution
08-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Not hardcore... same situation as everyone else... the boss limits modding... but... safety comes first.. I can argue that pulling power for an RB1 is "safety related".

I've come from a Forester... and did all the upgraded turbo, suspension, piggyback ecu, etc... and I've pretty much gotten it out of my system... especially when it comes time to return to stock to sell.

Malaysian owners not supercharging... just Unichipping their Absolutes... http://www.myodyssey.com.my/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=809&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=9d4349e131c1d77c281af23a6464bfe9

You can chip our the 160bhp motor, but the gains will not be much. What I was told was chipping (unichip ver Q) with cat back exhaust and pod filter would gain u abt 15 bhp. Considering the cost of about 3-4 k for the set up and the availability of unichip tuners make it hard to justify spending that amount.

AusAccord
08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
i was told the HKS turbo kit bolt on kit with pre-tuned F-Con, we would have to worry abt gearbox and Comptech SC is much better on gearbox but need to be tuned or off the road for some time sending ECU to US for re-flashing. both abt the same price...

snug_gles
09-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I'd say that chipping would be the best bet except that the only previous Unichip tuner I remember a few years back was arrested for something (escapes me as it was about 2~3yrs ago). I think there's one tuner left in Perth... gotta go do some digging.

Can't go Comptech... need to have car on the road... HKS... I'm already scared about the price let alone my gearbox.

Why can't they make it easier for us?!?!?!

evolution
09-07-2010, 01:41 AM
The only ppl that advertise unichip tunning in Perth that I can find is some 4wd company

http://www.armadale4wd.com.au/products/unichip.htm

but they tune freaking 4WD's not sure if they know how to tune an Odyssey??????

snug_gles
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Tim Slako @ West Racing in Ozzie Park.... but I've only ever read about the Subi's that go there for tuning. Unichips are not very popular nowadays anyway. However... having said that... I'm gonna go check out the price for it and see if it's worth it. I think I'd better have the car in hand first. hehehe... getting a bit ahead of myself.

Mobil1 - Can't believe that the Australian distributor sells the full 7 piece Ultra-Racing braces and bars for around AUD$1700 + delivery to Perth!!! I'm gonna go ask my friend to check out the price locally in Malaysia. Pricing if anyone is interested....

Ultra Racing Australia.
UR-LA2-486 = $206
UR-LA2-487 = $206
UR-LA4-488P = $223
UR-AR19-142 = $323
UR-TW2-491 = $223
UR-RL6-489P = $288
UR-RL2-490 = $206

AusAccord
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
i don't blame UR Aust as need to make money when running business. its good you have contact locally and its a bonus!!

keep in mind the SC and Turbo is a mild tuning only focusing on mid-range torque instead of high-end horsepower. have a friend running his Turbo RB1 with stock gearbox oil cooler in China for almost 3 yrs without any issues. i think regular maintenance is the main part......

snug_gles
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
AusAccord... agreed... I'll probably get a few bits from them first and perhaps get the others as I go on holidays with the family.

As for SC and turbo... that's all I'm looking at... torque... not looking for horsepower... and regular maintenance... definitely!!!

evolution
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
AusAccord... agreed... I'll probably get a few bits from them first and perhaps get the others as I go on holidays with the family.

As for SC and turbo... that's all I'm looking at... torque... not looking for horsepower... and regular maintenance... definitely!!!
Mate, can u keep me updated with the unichip thing. Depending on cost and the outcome of my exhaust install, I might want to add K&N apollo kit and tune the car.

snug_gles
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
No worries Evolution... I'm sure others would want to know as well... IF there is any improvement at a reasonable cost.

AusAccord
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Mate, can u keep me updated with the unichip thing. Depending on cost and the outcome of my exhaust install, I might want to add K&N apollo kit and tune the car.

you sure the exhaust will stay for long......

.... IF there is any improvement at a reasonable cost.

i like that... always value of money!!

evolution
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
you sure the exhaust will stay for long......

i like that... always value of money!!

Hence the disclaimer "depending on the outcome of exhaust install"

Yes Mr Economical.....

Mobil1
01-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Anyone out there who knows any places who can do coilover & swaybar installation for a good price around Melbourne (apart from Suspension City)?

Brought my car in to SusCity 2 months ago with my swaybars and told them I got coilovers coming in too and they told me better to come back when I have everything. So I finally got all my stuff ready (coilovers,bars,camber kit, and time) and called them last Wednesday and was told they're flat out and to call back this Monday. Did that and they said to call back Wednesday(today). Did that again and was told they don't want to do my car because they havent got time to dick around with the trims as apparently they needed to be removed entirely. I told them some of the bros here could do it only by removing the cupholder panel and use extended wrench BY THEMSELVES. He said...well how they gonna put back the nuts?. Yeah whatever, I don't know coz I'm not a mechanic. I'll need to remove the trims myself and only then will they have a look at it if they wanna do it.

Anyway there's my story, no Suspension City for me even though they've been highly recommended. Not really impressed (thought John was polite) as been told to come back & call back only to be refused in the end but I guess maybe they're just flat-out... Ohwell can any bros here please recommend similar places in Melbourne?

Atjo
01-09-2010, 10:17 AM
You can go to Racing Project at nunawading, ask for Nelson, he can do anything but you have to go there to ask for a correct quote. Just tell him you know him from Team Agentz. He used to do most of our cars.

Mobil1
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Bro Dan, thanks alot you are right he can really do anything WTF...lol.

anyway not like anyone is using UR here but if you are just so you know the triangle piece couldnt go into my car because the exhaust well was alot narrower so one of the edges couldnt reach the well. apparently "pre-facelift" has a wider well and therefore it should fit. so its up for sale if anyone wants it.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5044/hondaodysseyrearlower6p.jpg

Atjo
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
So what stuff you're installing & how much did he charge you?

Mobil1
04-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Just went and installed the GT-Wagon and the UR bars thats all. I asked him how much should I lower and he said he will decide for me wtf?? SO yeah the pic below is how much he lowered. Bro, if come out of Wilson parking have to use little lonsdale exit, Lonsdale exit will scrap like f.

anyway comfort wise surprisingly still quite alright not as rough and bumpy as i thought, maybe b/c i'm still on stock wheels (haven't had feedback from rear passengers yet). Handling and cornering is 520x more confident now. Just whack it, don't need to worry if can finish the turn or not. Whole car quite stiff maybe because of the bars too.

He said my rear damper is 26lvl adjustable and he put it on 15, but I check online it says its only 16lvl so yeah alittle confusing there.

And also I don't know why he negative camber for me, I told him I wanted straight. He said something about coming back to correct when I have my rims (hard to understand him) or somewhere along those lines.

anyway here are some crap as hell pics taken from my BB. And we're expecting some stupid weather this weekend so no chance of taking day shots.

all in all for a virgin car, I'm quite satisfied.

backwheel
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9679/img00114201009031723.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/img00114201009031723.jpg/)

front wheel
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/338/img00117201009031727.th.jpg (http://img840.imageshack.us/i/img00117201009031727.jpg/)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2479/img00121201009031747.th.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/img00121201009031747.jpg/)

front wheel
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1406/img00125201009031752.th.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/img00125201009031752.jpg/)

backwheel
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2103/img00123201009031752.th.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/img00123201009031752.jpg/)

backwheel
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9884/img00134201009032148.th.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/img00134201009032148.jpg/)

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2570/img00139201009032331.th.jpg (http://img826.imageshack.us/i/img00139201009032331.jpg/)

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9301/img00128201009031810.th.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/img00128201009031810.jpg/)

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8976/img00131201009032146.th.jpg (http://img697.imageshack.us/i/img00131201009032146.jpg/)

Atjo
04-09-2010, 09:10 AM
How many UR bars were installed? You need to do alignment after this and you can ask them to adjust the camber back to -1. Bear in mind that you need to take of the rear suspension if you need to adjust the damper, the front one is ok. Nice height or maybe need to lower it a bit more :p becareful that lower arm bar might scrapped on speed hump.

Mobil1
04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I installed 6/7 of them. The triangle pair can't fit facelift car. Apparently pre-facelift can use them as they got wider exhaust well. Any bro's driving pre-facelift can confirm this please?
Or maybe it's just designed for absolute model which have a bigger well to hold the resonator as per Bro Evo's exhaust mod post.

the front two bars really sticks out and its already scraping some humps.

evolution
04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Bro I think, its for the Absolute model as the pics from UR is of an Absolute model. Maybe UR didn't make on for the other varients.

Your front lower arm bars are really low, either you will have to rasie the car higher or live with it as I have and end up with this hahaha

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee128/rb1odc/Odyssey/IMG_3246.jpg

As for the camber alignment, are you going to change rims any time soon? If not I would suggest getting a proper wheel and camber alignment. you will find that your car will handle better. I guess the shop that installed your parts don't want to do the adjustments now as they will have to redo it again when you change to the rims of your choice.

As for my exhaust.... I have swaped out the resonator with 2 hot dogs to give me more ground clearance

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee128/rb1odc/Odyssey/IMG_3257.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee128/rb1odc/Odyssey/IMG_3258.jpg

Mobil1
04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
haha bro i think i will choose to live with it LOL...

yeah gonna drive around a few more days then go and do the alignment at some standard tyre shops.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/200/img00141201009041200.th.jpg (http://img818.imageshack.us/i/img00141201009041200.jpg/)http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6619/img00142201009041201.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/i/img00142201009041201.jpg/)

nice job on the hotdogs, looks very clean. Any difference to sound compared to ori resonator?

evolution
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
the sound is a bit more solid but slightly softer, it used to be abit raspy.

That rear camber is quite a bit... I think the faster u get your alignment done, the better.

AusAccord
04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
finally and really nicely done!! my advice is raise the car a bit as yr front bars will be "bye bye" for a short period of time. not sure the material on UR bars, you do not want anything happen to yr chassis if it hit as Cusco is by aluminum alloy soft enough to just break before affecting the chassis. another thing is the rear camber just too much and will get more once the spring settle a little bit after driving around.