PDA

View Full Version : will a dc2R muffler make my car quieter???

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 05:59 PM
hey guys I've searched and searched but i cant seem to find a definitive answer to my question...

i have a dc2 with headers, hi flow cat, 2.25 piping and magna-flo muffler. My question is will swapping my current muffler with a type R muffler make it quieter WITHOUT reducing flow.

i read the type R has a 2.25 system stock so my logic says it should flow quite well.

if this has been answered before please feel free to shut the thread down:)
thanks
Jason

a final question, ANYONE GOT A DC2R MUFFLER FOR SALE? Melbourne preferably...

EKVTIR-T
28-07-2008, 06:02 PM
It will be quieter.

I guess you could say that muffler flows enough to make 141kw so yeah should be ok :)

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 06:07 PM
It will be quieter.

I guess you could say that muffler flows enough to make 141kw so yeah should be ok :)

yeah that was my logic exactly, thanks mate

dsp26
28-07-2008, 06:10 PM
sounds like shit without AT LEAST the factory resonator... sounds like a ****ing lawnmower... stock eg/ek are worse.

quiet on idle, 3000rpm onwards sounds worse than a fart cannon...

that 141kw thing you guys mention above still holds true though... just that there was a reason the factory system also came with a resonator

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 06:15 PM
sounds like shit without AT LEAST the factory resonator... sounds like a ****ing lawnmower... stock eg/ek are worse.

quiet on idle, 3000rpm onwards sounds worse than a fart cannon...

that 141kw thing you guys mention above still holds true though... just that there was a reason the factory system also came with a resonator

the system i have has 2 resonators...so will that be allright? will it still sound decent.
Ideally it like it quiet at idle and low RPM but sort of open up into a nice sound once i put the boot in...and i mean NICE sound not WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT as a drive by sound..

do they really sound so bad without one:S the knowledge of some of you guys on here is profound..

jdm_kid
28-07-2008, 06:17 PM
maybe your one has a hole ? lol

dsp26
28-07-2008, 06:21 PM
i know coz i've gone through multiple systems and currently have the 2.25in ITR muffler on a 2.5in mandrel system with extractors.

previously had an eg muffler with no reso and it had an embarassing deafening high pitched rasp to the point that 'vtecing' the car was embarassing.

the ITR isn't as bad.

IN MY OPINION Honda did their exhaust system to a very tight tolerance which is a good thing, slightest deviation and then bam!

fully stock exhaust system without the factory reso also has the buzz.

but in your case you have 2 reso's and 2.25... it may sound fine.

a resonators job isn't to muffle the exhaust sytem, that's what a 'mid-muffler' is for... a resonator alters resonance, ie slows down the higher frequency vibration (thats causes the buzz) into a normal deeper note if your muffler doesn't muffle the sound too much

maybe your one has a hole ? lol
nope, because both of them sounded fine on my mrs bog stock DC4

***EDIT***
but then again... I have a B16a, the harmonics are completely different to that of a B18

EKVTIR-T
28-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Dsp26 is right though.

With just a straight pipe they can sound buzzy and hollow like.
Depends on the setup.

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 06:25 PM
yes i understand and thanks for the input.

my car has a quite un-jap deepish sound i which i think is owed to the 2 resi's. but yeah id like just a nice note that wont attract unwanted attention. so you guys will the dc2r muffler with my system (detailed in first post) do what i want it to do?

dsp26
28-07-2008, 06:34 PM
yes i understand and thanks for the input.

my car has a quite un-jap deepish sound i which i think is owed to the 2 resi's. but yeah id like just a nice note that wont attract unwanted attention. so you guys will the dc2r muffler with my system (detailed in first post) do what i want it to do?

i reckon get one but don't put it on if you don't like the sound, just sell it back on here.. you'll be surprised at their value

even if your not flanged, my exhaust shop either 'inserted' my muffler inlet into my bigger catback and revved it or got something like intercooler hose and clamped the muffler on... he was able to let me listen to a few mufflers he had also before i ended up just deciding on the ITR for the stocker look. ask your exhaust shop :thumbsup:

hard asking people about exhaust sound results.. theres so many i liked on youtube only to hear others and read reviews that it didn't sound like this or that hype... every setup is different as mentioned above

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 06:37 PM
allright i think i will, how much do they go for?

and if you see someone selling one let me know!

dsp26
28-07-2008, 07:52 PM
mate listen to this clip, ignore the nice deep sound of the intake and listen for that 'buzz' of the ITR muffler.. its' exactly what i'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNkzfcUcLg

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 07:58 PM
mate listen to this clip, ignore the nice deep sound of the intake and listen for that 'buzz' of the ITR muffler.. its' exactly what i'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNkzfcUcLg

thanks for the clip it actually sounded really nice, but when it went passed it had the strange buzz you mentioned. thats really weird

is it because it had no resi's like you mentioned earlier?

dsp26
28-07-2008, 08:00 PM
lol coz the nice sound your hearing is coming from the front of the car.. ie the induction noise...

if i uploaded my dyno video you'd hear the same thing at the rear of the car... but it only sounds like that on load though... revving the car at idle doesn't reveal that noise which is why i went with it.... soon as i drove out the shop i was like "wtf?!?!"

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 08:03 PM
so your advice would be forget it? even with resonators?

Spoon SiRG
28-07-2008, 08:16 PM
The DC2R muffler works best with the DC2R B-pipe which has 1 long & 1 short hotdog built into it. So just try to source the whole DC2R catback to remove all the guesswork.

rbk_212
28-07-2008, 08:19 PM
The DC2R muffler works best with the DC2R B-pipe which has 1 long & 1 short hotdog built into it. So just try to source the whole DC2R catback to remove all the guesswork.

fair point but i'm not gonna replace the whole catback system ive when ive already had it done