PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rom Replacement for Sat Nav...

Economic
28-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi All,

Here I go again... Just after your opinions if you can replace the standard DVD ROM with a single din DVD player/monitor? In other words what I am trying to do is still have pure navigation on the standard sat nav, but if I don't want navigation, I can use the single din dvd player to watch movies etc? Obviously the movies will play from the single DIN monitor and the standard sat nav will have to be on radio or air con.

I guess the output from the single din dvd player monitor would have to connect to the sat nav. If I want navigation, I can insert the map dvd disc. If I want movies, I can insert a dvd.

It might be possible because you can still run the air con, radio etc without the dvd maps.

Just trying to get the most out of the limited space!

Thanks!

Regards,
Eco..

xsite85
28-07-2008, 07:25 PM
i know that this is possible, using your current SAT NAV display screen and watch dvd

lost the URL to the company that supplies the box that converts everything, so you can switch between dvd player (have to add that yourself), tv tuner, reverse cameras & factory standard features

Can someone please find me the link so i can purchase this item, cheers

johnnyofhk
28-07-2008, 07:29 PM
i know that this is possible, using your current SAT NAV display screen and watch dvd

lost the URL to the company that supplies the box that converts everything, so you can switch between dvd player (have to add that yourself), tv tuner, reverse cameras & factory standard features

Can someone please find me the link so i can purchase this item, cheers

I want to do that as well....

xsite85
28-07-2008, 07:31 PM
if anyone has information inrelation to this set top box

please send us the information... i've seen picture of this working

maybe we might have to try tsxclub.com because the product is actually from the states

Economic
28-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Actually, I didn't want to watch DVD off the sat nav. I wanted to replace the DVD ROM single din unit (located near the ash tray), with an aftermarket single din dvd/monitor... I then wanted this aftermarket unit to play the navigation disc OR play movies. The movies would be shown from the monitor near the ash tray not through the sat nav..

Hope this makes sense...
Complicated :)

Regards,
Eco..

hongster
28-07-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah makes sense but youll never find something that will play the honda sat nav disc and a normal dvd... unless you employ a few nerds to hack at a system for a few months (expensive- nerds charge heaps these days)

so you have three choices,,,

option one which is what im buying - tvandnav2go unit along with a xcarlink and cheap ass dvd player - push aux and flip the tvandnav2go switch and youll have audio from the aftermarket dvd player and visual from it, also the nav will also butt in and tell you where to go if youve selected a destination as it just interups the "aux" just like it does with cd/radio..

option two, move the nav dvd unit to the lower position and put single din motorised flipout one in its spot (lowering the stock nav dvd is ok since its only the slot you need access to as the spot below is just a bit smaller than single din)

option three do nothing and not crash while watching jesica alba

if anyone wants diy's etc or links just ask annd ill post from other sites
as for my own set up , just waiting on my tax to come thru and im placeing my order
EDIT: and also with the set up you can add in a reverse camera to play on the screen automatically when reverse is selected

xsite85
29-07-2008, 01:15 AM
yeah makes sense but youll never find something that will play the honda sat nav disc and a normal dvd... unless you employ a few nerds to hack at a system for a few months (expensive- nerds charge heaps these days)

so you have three choices,,,

option one which is what im buying - tvandnav2go unit along with a xcarlink and cheap ass dvd player - push aux and flip the tvandnav2go switch and youll have audio from the aftermarket dvd player and visual from it, also the nav will also butt in and tell you where to go if youve selected a destination as it just interups the "aux" just like it does with cd/radio..

option two, move the nav dvd unit to the lower position and put single din motorised flipout one in its spot (lowering the stock nav dvd is ok since its only the slot you need access to as the spot below is just a bit smaller than single din)

option three do nothing and not crash while watching jesica alba

if anyone wants diy's etc or links just ask annd ill post from other sites
as for my own set up , just waiting on my tax to come thru and im placeing my order
EDIT: and also with the set up you can add in a reverse camera to play on the screen automatically when reverse is selected

do you have any links & DIY's for the tvandnav2go?

would love to do some research and price comparsions...:eek: i was thinking of installing an amp and sub.. will the tvandnav2go work with my new setup?

cheers, sorry for stealing your thread

xsite85
29-07-2008, 01:48 AM
here is a picture of a TSX in America which converted their sat nav to tvandnav2go

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/kensou75/tvandnav2go.jpg

our units are also PNP (plug and play), you can even add a ps2!!

i just emailed the sales team at http://tvandnav2go.net

hopefully these guys can help

Euro08Jaz
29-07-2008, 02:20 AM
so with this product i would be able to watch dvd's or even hook up a playstation? group buy anyone?

xsite85
29-07-2008, 07:20 AM
just got a reply from tvandnvav2go.net

"The mod for that car is $225USD. This will give you 2 video inputs 1 for dvd
and 1 for backup camera. This unit is compatible with any audio system.
you will have to cut 4 wires to do this mod." <--- can any techies elaborate this?

Still havn't answered my question if it also came with a TVtuner... hopefully he gets back to me soon

i'm up for a group buy-in:wave:

xsite85
29-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Found an item on ebay which is also alike

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Acura-TSX-Navigation-NAV-TV-Video-Converter-DVD-MOVIES_W0QQitemZ220262664569QQihZ012QQcategoryZ486 05QQcmdZViewItem

i don't think they produce the NAVtv with tvtuner cards anymore

if someone knows a place that supplies please tell... in the meanwhile i'm going to do more research

Economic
29-07-2008, 09:09 AM

I was thinking of this option, but might not work because when the motorised monitor pulls out it won't be able to tilt to a good viewable position because of all the consol buttons just above as these all stick out...

Nav2go.. looks like the best option... In saying that I don't want to tinker with my warranty.. especially with such an expensive sat nav.

xsite85
29-07-2008, 09:33 AM
don't get me wrong... i would love to install a aftermarket dvd monitor.
but i don't think it's possible

+ your voiding your warranty by replacing the dvd rom

i'm looking into a super tv tuner with tvandnav2go... trying to get a price

Economic
29-07-2008, 09:59 AM
don't get me wrong... i would love to install a aftermarket dvd monitor.
but i don't think it's possible

+ your voiding your warranty by replacing the dvd rom

i'm looking into a super tv tuner with tvandnav2go... trying to get a price

I would have thought you would void your warranty anyway if you try and add the tvandnav2go? I think you have to cut wires?

Could you please let us know prices when you get them and where from?
Thanks!

Eco..

xsite85
29-07-2008, 10:58 AM
just doing some research on this product, emailed the company haven't received a reply as of yet

Navigation Multi Audio-Video Switcher System

Special Functions: Adds Entertainment features to any OEM/After Market Navigation system. Each of the 4 outputs can show up to 4 independent input sources simultaneously. Simple installation and operation.
New - optional Super TV Tuner (for watching local TV broadcasting).
New - Built-in 1Super-Video input (Highly recommended for Car-PCs because of the Higher picture quality).
New - optional E-Code function (sends Nav. map to rear monitors).
New - Remote Control: Wireless RF remote control for total system control. (No drilling, no switches, and no remote eye to install)
Built-in, fully Automatic Back-up/Rearview Camera input (with detection wire).
Built-in Automatic front camera function for parallel parking.
Built-in Baby/Inside camera function (control with remote).
Built-in Video amplifier for all the monitors connected to the outputs.
4 A/V inputs: 3 standard RCA audio/video inputs & 1 S-Video input.
4 A/V outputs: 1 Special Navigation Interface and 3 RCA audio/video outputs.
Automatic on/off following ignition.
Upgradeable for any cars you may purchase in the future.
Power Source/Consumption: DC 12V / 3W max. only.
Overall Dimension: Very compact: 7.9” W, 1.5” H, 6.2” D

hongster
29-07-2008, 05:46 PM
the four wires you need to cut are for 12v power and 3x earths...
so it gets a bit tricky as our 2008 euro's are actually ancient 2003/4 dvd models compared to the japanese and americans which actually use 2008 dvd units for 2008 cars,,, (dam honda sucking me into buying sat nav only to find out its crap and old, oh well it will be a screen now)

read all abbout it on acurazine or tsx forums,,,

as for the group buy ill be in but if as usuall it takes ages to organise ill just order one myslef i dont mnind paying the extra little bit..

all you have to it pull put your dvd unit cable out hook in the y adapter,, which you can go and have a look now via the little kick panel below and to the left of the center console just get a philips screw driver and then once off remove an air con pipe and youll see the plugs for the dvd unit. the hardest parrt will be cutting and splicing .. the yanks have there units in the trunk so its easier to mod but we share our layout with the uk which is below the screen? i dont know why, coz when its in (the dvd) when would you ever have to access it unless you upgrade the disc maybe once every two years

any way you can cut and splice and earth when you remove your screen to plug your xcarling into so you can listen to the dvd etc click here
http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=805&highlight=xcarlink&mforum=sp4rks

xsite85
30-07-2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.avelectronic.com/

this site is providing this product

They have 2 option with:

Navigation Video/Camera Interface: $300 USD (include postage)
Navigation Multi Audio-Video Switcher System: $625 USD (Include postage)

However the Super Tv Tuner is for US broadcast... which is pointless for Australian free to air tv

Can one of you techies tell me if this setup will work..

http://www.avelectronic.com/NavigationVideo&#37;20Camera%20Interface.html

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Portable-Digital-TV-Receiver-Tuner-DVBT-DVB-Car_W0QQitemZ360072954124QQihZ023QQcategoryZ9895QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-5-SATA-HDD-MultiMedia-MP3-MPEG4-DVD-DiVx-SD-Player_W0QQitemZ120287956706QQihZ002QQcategoryZ167 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will all these be compatible and can be installed?

Economic
30-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Will any of these mods effect warranty?

xsite85
30-07-2008, 11:23 AM
yes it will effect warranty ONLY to the parts you modded

EG. camber kit + rims = suspension warranty out the door

Economic
30-07-2008, 11:32 AM
This means that the entire sat nav warranty is gone if you try and convert it to a video display unit?

Regards,
Eco...

johnnyofhk
30-07-2008, 07:48 PM
This means that the entire sat nav warranty is gone if you try and convert it to a video display unit?

Regards,
Eco...

isn't the whole electrical parts in the car?

xsite85
31-07-2008, 08:33 AM
CL9 is equivalent to a honda TL 2004

if we were interested in installation the tvandnav2go

we would have to cut our wires and void warrenty

unlike our counterparts the TSX "08 they have a plug and play option... HONDA aRrGgHh... another disappointment

Economic
31-07-2008, 10:31 AM
A friend of mine bought a Subaru Liberty and was offered with free sat nav at the time. I was considering the Subaru because of the free sat nav but Honda had better end of year deals, so I went with them. His sat nav plays dvd no problems, only thing is that while your driving the display turns off and you can only hear the movie. It took me 3 minutes to work out an overide, just by pushing a few buttons...

To be honest, he said he never watches movies on the sat nav screen.. only the one time I was in the car with him... he always has it on the navigation or the trip computer..

I might wait till my 5 year warranty runs out and then might tinker around with the unit. I think if you tinker around with the sat nav and it stuffs up, it is an expensive piece to fix.. Better rely on the warranty for this one...

Regards,
Eco...

xsite85
31-07-2008, 11:07 AM
this might be a good idea...

but in 5 years.. wouldn't you want a new car by then?

i'm planning to sell mine in 3 years

Economic
31-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Planning to sell it around 4-1/2yrs. That way it still has some warranty for the new owner (so I might get a little more) and I can get a new one.

bigdongers
19-09-2008, 01:25 AM
sorry to dig up an old thread but did anyone actually go through and do this mod?

The X Man
19-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Even changing the Sat Nav software to something else would be fantastic. The Honda Sat Nav screen is just looks dated and shithouse.

Economic
22-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Even though it looks shithouse, at least it gets you there. Even tells you if the address is on the left or right (which I like).

I like the little trail it leaves behind showing you where you have been. This is fantastic when your a little lost and need to get back to particular area (without having voice navigation).

I used to use route 66 navi on Nokia as my GPS. In-built GPS wins hands down even if does look like a dogs breakfast. Don't need to hide it. has new car warranty.

Economic
22-09-2008, 08:00 PM
In addition, my mate has a Subaru with sat nav. His does look a little better. I guess his wins cause he has contacts, bluetooth and VIDEO.

unity
22-09-2008, 08:09 PM
I used to use route 66 navi on Nokia as my GPS. In-built GPS wins hands down even if does look like a dogs breakfast. Don't need to hide it. has new car warranty.

It is handy but
1) updates are expensive
2) updates are always behind
3) lack of useful features
4) not compatible with over the air traffic management signals

Economic
22-09-2008, 08:17 PM
It is handy but
1) updates are expensive
2) updates are always behind
3) lack of useful features
4) not compatible with over the air traffic management signals

This is all true, however... I upgraded from v13 to v14 and there were no major changes in Sydney (perhaps POI's). They just seem to add new suburbs in the country.

Features it does lack, but Nokia maps comes in handy or even route 66 :)

I probably would not have bought a sat nav model, but becuase of the runout, the price was far too good.

unity
22-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Well done for getting a good price. It would be so much more practical if you could just hook it up to the computer to update maps, POI's, etc. As they are at the moment only Honda seems to have control over the system. Would be heaps better if the user was able to control a few more aspects/features.

Economic
22-09-2008, 09:10 PM
And I would LOVE to have the trip computer available on the nav screen. Subaru does this also :) Maybe I should have gone Subaru :)

unity
23-09-2008, 12:25 AM
And I would LOVE to have the trip computer available on the nav screen. Subaru does this also :) Maybe I should have gone Subaru :)

Hmmm, not many people would choose one car over another based on the sat nav system. I think theses things are a bit of a novelty and over time you soon loose the excitement about these things and start enjoying the overall performance of the car a lot more.

johnnyofhk
24-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Well done for getting a good price. It would be so much more practical if you could just hook it up to the computer to update maps, POI's, etc. As they are at the moment only Honda seems to have control over the system. Would be heaps better if the user was able to control a few more aspects/features.

did v14 correct those no right turn, no left turn road? While i saw a big sign of no right turn in front of me, the sexy voice told me 100meters ahead, turn right, turn right.......

Economic
24-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think any navi system has the ability to know where the no right turns are...

Maybe tomtom does