PDA

View Full Version : bonnet rattle

henrygiang
29-07-2008, 07:34 PM
hi. my bonnet rattles when the engine is idle but then i am driving, i doesnt..... does anybody know what could have fallen off or is missing to stop the rattle.....i know its the bonnet cause i got out and put my hand on the bonnet and it stopped rattling when i did that....any suggestions???

Sydsyd
29-07-2008, 07:47 PM
try tightening the bolts on the bonnet hinges...

mars_panas
29-07-2008, 08:11 PM
it sounds as if your hood latch is somehow not fastened correctly because when you move the air could be pushing it up...
that's extremely dangerous especially if the latch were to give out on you and fly up towards your windshield at highway speeds, I suggest you check the latch and the hood bolts to make sure they are secure.

I have a question... when you slam your bonnet closed, does it click?
you can always here the clamp rounding the latch and it will make a click sound when it is secure..

those have a tendency to foul themselves if the spring in it goes bad. and you need to replace it

bennjamin
29-07-2008, 08:13 PM
hmm

i would say the bonnet arm itself is loose and rattling(holds teh bonnet up)....seen it many times either not in the holder or the holder is broken and the arm vibrates

mars_panas
29-07-2008, 08:16 PM
you may also check out the rubber "stoppers" that the hood sits on in the engine bay. Some may be worn or gone allowing the vibrations.

Adoomi
30-07-2008, 06:43 PM
hey buddy this has happened 2 me iv got a cf bonnet and it was driving me crazy... so either adjust ur bonnet hingers at the front of ur car were the bonnet hooks into or the rubbers on either side of the bonnet are to much wound in if u have them...if u do that u should b ok.

vinnY
31-07-2008, 12:14 AM
check around the passenger side of the bonnet around the area where the arm that holds up your bonnet would be
the arm might be contacting it because its bent or rewelded from breaking before(common on honda's apparently) and tapping against the bonnet on idle
if it is you'll see some worn paint under the bonnet in this area

JohnL
31-07-2008, 07:50 AM
My CB7 bonnet rattled at the hinges due to slight looseness between the pivot shafts and the holes (wear I assume). I made up some rubber pieces from short lengths of heater hose that placed an upward tension on the bonnet when the bonnet was closed. Basically they are short lengths of rubber hose that are placed just in front of the hinges under the edges of the bonnet and held with little clips (passed into the inside of the tubes) that are held in place with the bolts (one each) that secure the fenders. When the bonnet is closed it 'crushes' these tubes, pushing upward on the rear of the bonnet and eliminating the rattle.

hooyn
31-07-2008, 01:20 PM
my friend had same problem. got new rubber "stoppers" and it went away. i think he paid like 60 for it