PDA

View Full Version : What ECU you use

siubak
29-07-2008, 11:03 PM
What ECU you guys use?
Anyone use mine's mugen or spoon ECU be4?
Which one is better?

chinky
30-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Microtech is pretty good for all 4 cycl engines.

Dont know about mugen and spoon, at the end of the day it depends on the person tuning the ECU.

fatboyz39
30-07-2008, 03:50 PM
What ECU you guys use?
Which one is better?

Apexi Power FC, Hondata s100/s200/s300, Crome. All these ECU are enough for street use. All the ecu listed are plug and play. And also depends on your tuner:)

siubak
30-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Microtech is pretty good for all 4 cycl engines.

Dont know about mugen and spoon, at the end of the day it depends on the person tuning the ECU.

I'm looking for the ECU don't need to tune. (cos worry they blow my engine)

fatboyz39
30-07-2008, 03:56 PM

If your worried leave it stock.

chinky
31-07-2008, 03:35 PM
^^^i second that

FkjAccord
31-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Autronic sm4

barefootbonzai
31-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Vafc 2

EKVTIR-T
31-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Powerchip http://www.powerchipgroup.com/

DLO01
31-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Spoon v-tech controller. :thumbsup:

squish85
31-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Powerchip http://www.powerchipgroup.com/

Did it work for u ?

"In standard form the Honda Integra VTi-R 1.8 (93-96) produces
125 kw at the flywheel, and Powerchip improves the engine power
to 140 kw." As Quoted from the Powerchip PDF

DLO01
31-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I would like to know how they measure that at the flywheel?

squish85
31-07-2008, 07:58 PM
at 990AUD + Delivery .. its nearing the price of a Hondata S100 installed and tuned.. (correct me if my price is outdated..) Has anyone have a powerchip installed ?

rbk_212
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
with the hondata s100 are they fully tunable? or are they one of those pre mapped crappo things?

onlykillzz
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
dont you mean s300

rbk_212
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
dont you mean s300

no i know the s300 is top of line with full mapping ability, im talking the s100 which is the lesser model.

B18cEG
07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I would like to know how they measure that at the flywheel?

Maybe on an engine dyno??? just a guess:p

But seriously why do u want an ecu if ur not gonna tune, if u dont trust a tuner find a well known reputable one, also i think one thing to look for when choosing an ecu as i found out is, are you going to run coil on plug ignition because only certain and higher model ecu's can do this (4 coil outputs, well for direct fire anyway)

Hope this helps

Zdster
08-09-2008, 08:28 AM

What is the point of buying an ecu, but not tuning it? Isnt the whole point of getting an ecu to tune it to the individual car????

VT3C
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
What ECU you guys use?
Which one is better?

I picked up a SPOON ECU (for B16A) in Tokyo for a ridiculously low price.. plus VTEC controller unit..

when I got back to OZ, the 1st thing I did was switch the new ECU in.. it definately gave a noticable gain in mid-range and especially throttle response. not so sure about top end HP gains, prob not that much, but the Spoon ECU is designed for circuit use, not dyno shootouts (LOL) or drag racing so the huge top end HP gains arent so relevant.

My fuel ecconomy was about 10-15% worse than stock JDM P30 ECU which wasnt that bad IMO.. however.... when we just had Autosalon and I went on the dyno, I had the operator run the AFR's and after 6,000RPM, it was waaay too rich.. so I just dropped in some cams.. feels like a better mix, but have no dyno or AFR's to support it yet.

All B-series Spoon ECU's have a redline of 9,000RPM and the VTEC switch point is the same as your Std. ECU.. the VTEC controller only allows you to LOWER the VTEC point.

dsp26
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
^^^i feel sorry for you.. you haven't been to the dyno yet have you? you should do a back to back dyno versus the jdm p30....

it doesn't gain in midrange at all.. just FEELS and sounds like it coz they lowered the vtec x-over point.

reason your running shit economy is coz the spoon ecu runs in closed loop in full-time (disables need of O2 sensor)

VT3C
11-09-2008, 07:23 PM
What is the point of buying an ecu, but not tuning it? Isnt the whole point of getting an ecu to tune it to the individual car????

yes you're right.. BUT.. some of us dont have access to a tuner that we trust or has good experience with hondas for example and cant afford to fly james over to perth ;).. ? I chose the spoon ECU for various reasons however I am not naive to think it is better than a tunable ECU (as long as you have a competant tuner).

VT3C
11-09-2008, 07:30 PM
^^^i feel sorry for you.. you haven't been to the dyno yet have you? you should do a back to back dyno versus the jdm p30....

it doesn't gain in midrange at all.. just FEELS and sounds like it coz they lowered the vtec x-over point.

reason your running shit economy is coz the spoon ecu runs in closed loop in full-time (disables need of O2 sensor)

please dont feel sorry for me LOL.. am goin to do a before and after.. done the before, we have a club dyno day coming up and i'll run both ECU's then to do a comparison. Not sure where u got your info on the Spoony being open loop.. that's just not correct. i know what's happened though, you've tried to run a spoon (JDM) ecu on a non-JDM engine.. the O2 sensor etc has different wiring and therefore thinks there's a problem and runs in open loop.. i had this trouble when i ran my JDM ECU initially but now I've converted my wiring to JDM spec including ELD..

and it's probably the aggressive iginition timing making it sound angrier haha the vtec point is 5600/5800 same as the JDM ECU so you've just contradicted yourself there..

but to resolve a number of online arguments, am going to run both ECU's side by side and see the differences.. and I have no problems shifting to a stand-alone if the stock ECU out performs the spoon item.

dsp26
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
yes you're right.. BUT.. some of us dont have access to a tuner that we trust or has good experience with hondas for example and cant afford to fly james over to perth ;).. ? I chose the spoon ECU for various reasons however I am not naive to think it is better than a tunable ECU (as long as you have a competant tuner).

duno about you dude but i was getting like ~300km per 42l with the spoon when before it i was getting ~450km... now losing 150km per week for 6months can easily get you a good ecu and tune....

anyways just some friendly advise from you as i went through the same and was in denial until i saw the dyno of the spoon versus p30 jdm

dsp26
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
but to resolve a number of online arguments, am going to run both ECU's side by side and see the differences.. and I have no problems shifting to a stand-alone if the stock ECU out performs the spoon item.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: would love to see it... would have been better before your cams though...

admittedly i can't actually remember if mine was spoon or skunk2 but O2 sensor was definitely disabled as unplugging the O2 sensor didn't throw any codes. i did however get an ELD cel because i tried a p30 variant with Knock sensor when my car wasn't equipped

9000rpm redline
5200rpm x-over

the jdm p30-j02 i had was:
8800rpm redline
5875rpm x-over

the jdm p30 felt (and looked) so much smoother over stock with the x-over moved up a tad from 5400rpm...

[ricer]
11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
vt3c doesnt have a ebay spoon ecu chip
im pretty sure he bought a full new ecu...from spoon

dsp26
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
;1888923']vt3c doesnt have a ebay spoon ecu chip
im pretty sure he bought a full new ecu...from spoon

i'm pretty sure your right.. hence why i'm more curious.

At the end of the day such generics are still tuned to a specific combination of parts unless like powerchip they have minor/medium tunes for stocki-ish cars which also become useless by the time you start adding bolt-ons...

if there were big enough gains to outweigh the economy loss then why not.. why else do we modify cars in the first place ;)

VT3C
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/VTEChnique/new-parts_01.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/VTEChnique/new-parts_02.jpg

duno about you dude but i was getting like ~300km per 42l with the spoon when before it i was getting ~450km... now losing 150km per week for 6months can easily get you a good ecu and tune....

anyways just some friendly advise from you as i went through the same and was in denial until i saw the dyno of the spoon versus p30 jdm

MY civic aint a daily driver anymore.. and i rarely fill up the tank so I dont know how many kms I am getting out of a tank - i was just measuring for 20L.. but strangely my stock ECU threw out a lot of fuel through the exhaust so it was pretty rich allready for some reason.

::thumbsup::thumbsup: would love to see it... would have been better before your cams though...

yes, for the comparison on a stock engine it would be better, but i was always going to have cam upgrade eventually. I will run the AFR's so it should still give you an indication of what each ECU is trying to do..

admittedly i can't actually remember if mine was spoon or skunk2 but O2 sensor was definitely disabled as unplugging the O2 sensor didn't throw any codes. i did however get an ELD cel because i tried a p30 variant with Knock sensor when my car wasn't equipped

Knock sensor and ELD are un-related. but yeah sounds like the AUS vs JDM wiring and O2 sensor issues.

9000rpm redline
5200rpm x-over

the jdm p30-j02 i had was:
8800rpm redline
5875rpm x-over

the jdm p30 felt (and looked) so much smoother over stock with the x-over moved up a tad from 5400rpm...

That's interesting.. perhaps your 'spoon' chip was for B18C not B16.. My P30-J00 had VTEC switch at 5,800 I think.. SPOON ECU is at 5800 also.. hrm i'll have to check again but I know it's DEFINATELY NOT 5200.

anyway i'll post up dyno results asap.