PDA

View Full Version : jazz odd power steering noise

62rocket
30-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi i am new to the forum. i have a 2004 Jazz VTIS with 108,000 kms. Beyond having the rear wheel bearings replaced I haven't had any trouble with the car until recently. When the car is sitting there's an odd noise come from the rack and pinion steering/power steering. it sounds like rocks rolling around in a can... the steering only makes this noise when the car is dead cold and you turn the wheel. i was wondering if others have the same noise at this many kms or if anyone has a clue as to what's going on. The noise isn't annoying yet, but just concerning when you turn the wheel when the car isn't moving. The noise can't be heard when the car is moving. Thanks...

bennjamin
30-07-2008, 08:09 PM
the noise is probably old grease or rubber boots in the rack moving around
It is when the engine is ON ?
FYI there isnt normal power steering (with liquid) its "power assisted" with an electronic motor.

62rocket
30-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks... it makes the noise when the motor is running of course. I have to turn my steering wheel without the car moving to get the car out of the garage on most occassions. that's when i have heard the noise...

bennjamin
30-07-2008, 08:25 PM
thats not normal , something maybe loose in the steering area or even the steering-to-shock connections. Do you feel any vibration or knocing or bumping thru the steering wheel ? Do you have aftermarket bigger rims ?

my gf jazz makes no noise when turrning at idle , only a slight change in car revs ?

62rocket
30-07-2008, 09:00 PM
the car is stock as I bought it from Honda. The noise is at idle when I turn the wheel. I will have to get it checked out next service.

AE092
02-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Have your power steering pump looked at. My car (Corolla with 250k's) makes the same noise, it's due to a leaking power steering pump. It has to work abit harder to up the pressure due to less fluid in the reservoir. Might not be the exact as your car due to different make/model/age ect but could be one area to look at.

bennjamin
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Have your power steering pump looked at. My car (Corolla with 250k's) makes the same noise, it's due to a leaking power steering pump. It has to work abit harder to up the pressure due to less fluid in the reservoir. Might not be the exact as your car due to different make/model/age ect but could be one area to look at.

jazz has electrically-assisted steering. no power steering pump.

62rocket
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM
had the car serviced yesterday at 110km. Power steering checked and all ssupension lubricated. No defects with the ESP found and noise now gone after the lubrication...