PDA

View Full Version : ** LAMS / Learners Bike Discussion **

Pages : 1 [2] 3

krogoth
22-09-2008, 10:25 AM
hahahha, true, but these are just as easy on the wallet if dropped as the nakeds from wat ive heard

tho that big exhaust pipe looks prety fragile

the price for a 2nd hand low km one is pretty reasonable too

Nax
22-09-2008, 10:29 AM
krog have u looked at the aquilas at all? if ur a bit of a big boy the 250 is pretty big, or the 650 is massive, good lookin bike too and fairly cheap

krogoth
22-09-2008, 10:44 AM
http://au.geocities.com/penderghast/Aquila.jpg

looks cool

but yeh, hyosung........i know sometimes they just make the chassis and the engine is made by a jap company

Ive always preferred an original proper bike by a brand name that has been doing its thing for a pretty long time, very succesfull at that too

i also need my first to be pretty reliable since i hope to do alot of long trips into the country with it, so i guess i have more piece of mind with a suzuki than hyosung...

Nax
22-09-2008, 11:04 AM
fair enough, cant beat a good name. its basically the same reason i didnt get one, just wasnt sure of it. so instead i got a honda:D

lo0se3r
22-09-2008, 11:25 AM
well u could get a cheaper naked bike, some duct tape and a bunch of colored cardboard! way easier to repair

i saw the same, a 89 cbr250 for 7.5, wat a toss sif u would pay that i mean comon u could buy a brand new vtr for close to that if ur good at haggling, or two cbr125s lol, just ductape them together and ull have a cbr250 :P

nax is always very creative :p

Nax
22-09-2008, 11:45 AM
is there anything ductape cant fix? if there is i havent met it lol

hooyn
14-01-2009, 09:50 AM
so i got my learners recently and am looking to get myself a 250cc bike that ill keep for a few years
trying to keep my budget 5k and under and spend another 1k on the gear.

ok, so i've looked around on bikesales and found the following

1989 cbr250r - found some for 4 - 4.3k

these were made in 1989 and are still quite exxy ?

2006 vtr250 - these are over my budget since theyre over 5k

2008 kawasaki ninja - 7.7k

1994 ninja - 3.4k but with 95xxx km's on the clock.

cbr250RR - theres a few under budget

are theyre any other ones that you fellas would recommend ?

ive read that the cbr's and vtr's are good learners bikes.

Zdster
14-01-2009, 09:56 AM
so i got my learners recently and am looking to get myself a 250cc bike that ill keep for a few years
trying to keep my budget 5k and under and spend another 1k on the gear.

ok, so i've looked around on bikesales and found the following

1989 cbr250r - found some for 4 - 4.3k

these were made in 1989 and are still quite exxy ?

2006 vtr250 - these are over my budget since theyre over 5k

2008 kawasaki ninja - 7.7k

1994 ninja - 3.4k but with 95xxx km's on the clock.

cbr250RR - theres a few under budget

are theyre any other ones that you fellas would recommend ?

ive read that the cbr's and vtr's are good learners bikes.

Also check out the GPX/GPZ (almost bullet proof motor), ZZR, Across and if you want an import a ZX2R. If you are under LAMS (and the bike is on the list) I have also heard very good things about the GS500.

Personally I would go for something with less fairings, not a massive number of km's and something that was built in this century.

Re: the VTR's, it is possible to get one in your price range - will just have to look a bit harder though.

hooyn
14-01-2009, 10:07 AM
i just had a look through the thread and seems like im gonna sway towards a vtr

are these good to learn on by myself ?

the place that i will be going to to get my license recommends 2 months of riding experience before trying out the course.

Zdster
14-01-2009, 10:15 AM
i just had a look through the thread and seems like im gonna sway towards a vtr

are these good to learn on by myself ?

the place that i will be going to to get my license recommends 2 months of riding experience before trying out the course.

Yes, I think one of the best learners (particularly if you are not under LAMS).

Where are you located? Most license places will teach beginners with no experience (I can recommend somewhere in Victoria).

hooyn
14-01-2009, 10:19 AM
im in brisbane i looked around a few places and they ask for 900+ for the course

found this place from someone else in brisbane in one of the threads here and they ask for only 350 for a 2 day course. pass the course and i can get my license

http://www.stayupright.com.au/qld.htm

is there any other bike sales websites besides from bikesales.com.au ?

Zdster
14-01-2009, 10:23 AM
im in brisbane i looked around a few places and they ask for 900+ for the course

found this place from someone else in brisbane in one of the threads here and they ask for only 350 for a 2 day course. pass the course and i can get my license

is there any other bike sales websites besides from bikesales.com.au ?

Hmm, dont know much about Brisbane. Stayupright is Australia wide though so they should be ok.

Also check out bikepoint, ebay and trading-post.

D4rk4n63l
14-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I used to have 07 VTR250 myself.. very good learners bike, and as Zdster said, one of the best too..

Very forgiving, but wouldn't mind to be pushed hard a bit.. I sold mine only because I was offered a very good price I couldn't say no to :p and then got myself an Aprilia RS125. Its a bit of a steep learning curve to me, but I'm glad I got it.. it teaches me on how to really ride a bike, after of course I learned about road safety / awareness on the VTR.

Like I said, the VTR is a forgiving bike.. so you can be more focused on the road and not on how to ride the bike

Type R Positive
14-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Thats who I went through years ago. Very professional and very good course.
Q-ride kicks ass! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

EK4R
15-01-2009, 03:33 AM
bike must be expensive in qld....i sold my ninja way under that price
cbr are around 3k here in vic if you know where to look. hyosung is 4k.

Twincam16
16-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Any opinions on a late model 250R Ninja?

EK4R
17-01-2009, 09:41 PM
well its the only new 250 out there apart from the hyosung.

if your after something modern looking and can afford it then go for it.

go sit on one and ride it around see if you like it.

personally i wouldnt spend 7k for one but if it was in a good price range i would definitely grab one. actually looking for a 2nd hand one for the missus. looks great but sounds like a tractor at low rpms (2 cylinders rather than 4)

LaZaZaL89
18-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah seems you can find a few around 5.5grand, and they are only one year old :S

EG5[KRT]
18-01-2009, 11:15 AM
there is the honda training centre

http://hondampe.com.au/repository/motorcycles/training_licensing/courses.aspx#qld

S2kane
20-01-2009, 09:01 AM
2009 VT400 http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/shadow-classic400/images/pht_color_03.jpg

Twincam16
26-01-2009, 10:26 PM
At moment, looking at these...

CB400
RVF400
VTR250

What should I be looking out for in used bikes. You guys have any pointers on what to keep an eye on. Ive been told anything with a taco that has numbers that dont line up is likely wound back... what else should I be looking out for?

Type R Positive
26-01-2009, 11:55 PM
What should I be looking out for in used bikes. You guys have any pointers on what to keep an eye on. Ive been told anything with a taco that has numbers that dont line up is likely wound back... what else should I be looking out for?
Just general bike condition.

Things like a new chain and sprockets will cost you a few hundred. Check that they are adjusted correctly, as if overtightened, can cause serious problems. Good check to see if the OP has got an idea about their bike.

Check for wheel bearing free play. Try to wobble wheels from side to side.
Bearings cost heaps to replace. Ask about if they have ever greased up the bearings. Like swing arm and head stem bearings.

Check frame for cracks.

Tyre condition is a good indicator on how the bike has been ridden. You want to see 'chicken strips' LOL! Tyres cost a few hundred too, so new is nice.

Ask about servicing, and what they do to maintain their bike. It is easy to pick someone who loves their bike and takes good and proper care for it, and the ones who have NFI. Check the air filter. If it's dirty, that is a good indication that they don't care about their bike.

If you get a bad feeling about the bike, walk away. Plenty out there. ;)

Zdster
27-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Two good links that are quite comprehensive from Netrider:
http://www.netrider.net.au/articles/?page=used_bike_guide
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4306

I think what was said in the first linked thread is one of the best pieces of advice:
Dont buy the first bike you see!

johnnythehondaman
27-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda CBR125R <-------------$4300 On the road

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda CBR125R <-------------$4300 On the road
They are the shittest of shite. :thumbdwn:

CONAN
27-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Agree. They are postie bikes with stylish fairings.

Best learners bike? Hmm something that is reliable, easy to ride and has decent power.

hisoka
27-01-2009, 01:56 PM

true because its slow. but you can sell it back to the dealer with minimal loss. and for that 4300 you can get on roads, and insurance, and helmet. perfect for someone just starting. the bike also looks pleasing to the eye.

also parts for cbr 125( fairings) are very cheap.

Zdster
27-01-2009, 02:03 PM
true because its slow. but you can sell it back to the dealer with minimal loss. and for that 4300 you can get on roads, and insurance, and helmet. perfect for someone just starting. the bike also looks pleasing to the eye.

also parts for cbr 125( fairings) are very cheap.

Its not that it is slow - it is just a small 125.

I am trying to figure out how you think you will be able to sell it back to a dealer with minimal loss? Like all bike/car dealers, the dealer has to purchase the bike back from you to onsell at market rates - hence offering you less money than the market. On top of that, and while I am yet to see any sales evidence, I do wonder what the market is for those sorts of bikes.

For $4k you can pick up a 06 GPX which is much better value IMO (even if it is a different sort of bike).

hisoka
27-01-2009, 02:17 PM
yer, i was just thinking for young people its okai.

my younger cousin sold his one back to the dealer for about 4200 dollars, but the bike was imaculate. he bought it for about 5000 with free helmet etc.

i agree there are other bikes that are also good for money. but this bike is light and easy to ride/ learn on. its like scooter pretty much lol.

i guess i was just probably talking about people out of high school and stuff. iam not as old as you guys so i dont really know to much about bigger bikes. never really ridden them. looking to purchase R6 now, but i think its still to big for me.

also you know how some people who get parents to buy there stuff ( i know a guy) he has his leaners however his parents wont allow second hand bike, so he had to settle for new bike, and he just got the cbr125, because he thinks it looks good and stuff. Basically the genral population of young people learning how to ride will buy 125rr, because it is quite appealing to them.

like us, if we were genral population we would be buying holdens and fords (and seeing them as performance track racing car). this is like the honda 125rr. just the genral market. they think its nice quick good looking bike. But better reasearch would indicate as you said a 06 GPX is a better choice. you know what i mean~

not starting argument. just saying in younger persons (genral population) view the cbr125rr is probably gonna be the choice. but someone who likes cars and performance would probably research more and get a maybe second hand or older bike. as it may have better things, power, looks etc etc and better value

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Small bikes are temperamental and hard to ride.
You need torque to make it easy to ride. Something a 125 has none of.

hisoka
27-01-2009, 02:59 PM
i think there pretty easy, i learnt on a carby 125, then moved up to a fuel injected 125, which was slower actually lol.

S2kane
27-01-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=S2kane;2096442]http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/monkey/images/pht_sp_01.jpg
http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/monkey/images/pht_photo_02.jpg
http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/monkey/images/pht_photo_01.jpg

These are going to be road registered in Australia soon !!

hisoka
27-01-2009, 03:17 PM
they used to around ages ago. mad fun. theres other similar aswell.

http://www.monkeytuners.com/album/gallery2/d/117276-2/Fotoshoot&#37;20dax%20verkoop%20012.jpg
http://www.monkeytuners.com/album/gallery2/d/117452-2/20061115_0001.JPG

chuck on race fairings and good to go
http://www.honda-dax.com/albums/albun43/aad.jpg

EK4R
27-01-2009, 04:10 PM
cbr125 arent really that shit. they do have their markets. they are not the best selling small bikes over in europe for no reason.

my friend just picked hers up for 3k with 1yr rego under 900km onroad. its a perfect bike for her. i dont think she could handle a 250. its so agile to move around.

not for everyone but good bikes for what they are.

that said im riding 600s cos 250 didnt serve my needs, doesnt mean 250 are shit bikes :)

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 05:05 PM
cbr125 arent really that shit. they do have their markets. they are not the best selling small bikes over in europe for no reason. Neither is the Fiat500.... Small narrow dead end roads perhaps? ;)

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 05:06 PM
that said im riding 600s cos 250 didnt serve my needs, doesnt mean 250 are shit bikes :)You are allowed to say it LOL! :p
250's are shit!!! (I'm too big for them)

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 05:09 PM
i think there pretty easy, i learnt on a carby 125, then moved up to a fuel injected 125, which was slower actually lol.
It should be slower. It would have been more fuel efficient though.
Injectors can't atomise the fuel as good as a carby can. ;)

EK4R
27-01-2009, 05:09 PM
You are allowed to say it LOL! :p

well thats ur fault u fat ass lol not the 250s fault

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 07:04 PM
well thats ur fault u fat ass lol not the 250s faultUm, no. To me it is shit for the exact same reasons as a 125....

EK4R
27-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Um, no. To me it is shit for the exact same reasons as a 125....

why cos they are hard to ride? lol................:thumbsup: maybe for you

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 07:16 PM
why cos they are hard to ride? lol................:thumbsup: maybe for you
125's are hard to ride for learners....
To me they are just gutless women's bikes. Like 600's. :thumbsup:

S2kane
27-01-2009, 08:46 PM
You are allowed to say it LOL! :p

You should see dani pedrosas bike.. its sooo small
I look like a giant on it. smaller than a 600
See avatar..

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 09:02 PM
You should see dani pedrosas bike.. its sooo small
I look like a giant on it. smaller than a 600
See avatar..Holy shit! :eek:
No way I'd fit on that! Great power though! :cool:

Twincam16
27-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Im 6ft 3... so i may have a hard time on a VFR or another 250 correct?

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Im 6ft 3... so i may have a hard time on a VFR or another 250 correct?
I'm about the same as you. You might be right if you are a 70kg 6'3".....

I had to do my training on a Suzuki GS500. That was easy to ride, and had some grunt too.

Type R Positive
27-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Anyone else see this bike?
http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/bikes/road/sport-sport-touring/2009/gsx650f-learner-approved.html
You could learn on it, then actually keep it.

preludacris
28-01-2009, 03:07 AM
125's are hard to ride for learners....
To me they are just gutless women's bikes. Like 600's. :thumbsup:

yeah, maybe we should chuck learners on 600's then. oh wait, you think they are gutless too... hrm. maybe a r1 then?

Type R Positive
28-01-2009, 11:22 AM
yeah, maybe we should chuck learners on 600's then. oh wait, you think they are gutless too... hrm. maybe a r1 then?I was being sarcastic. EK4R has a 600. ;)

Nax
28-01-2009, 11:34 AM
that suzuki looks like crap

and getting bikes that are ecud down is lame, cuz u can never ecu them back the original way legally

which means u spend 10k for a big bike, with the same power as a 250, which u end up selling anyways because when u finish ur L's ur stuck witht he same power output

S2kane
28-01-2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.thescooterreview.com/images/reviews/honda/sh300/honda_sh300-24_med.jpg
http://www.thescooterreview.com/component/content/article/277-honda-sh-300?start=2

These things are pretty good..

EK4R
29-01-2009, 05:30 AM
^^ what is it?

i almost bought a yamaha aerox 100 for kicks

S2kane
29-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda SH300
Pretty expensive though

jz714
30-01-2009, 09:00 PM
im dont own/ride a bike myslef but im saving for one soon. the best advise i got was "get a naked bike for learner first for cheap and save your money for the bike u really want

N1nj4R1d4h
31-01-2009, 09:35 AM
anyone know how the aprilia rs125's compare?

Aprilia rs125's has the same power as cbr250rr'r and zx2r's. Aprilia 125 is a 2 stroke where as the cbr and ninja are 4 stroke. U have to be revving the crap out of the 125 to get the same power as the other 2. Plus they sound like a lawn mower and putting petrol is annoying coz u have to mix oil and fuel whenever u fill up. Unless u like the sound of a lawn mower everytime you're riding then go for it.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Personally I cant be stuffed mixing oil and petrol when i fill up. It takes long as it is putting your gear back on after filling up. Plus the sound of a lawn mower is hella annoying....

I agree with those who says to get a bike not coz of its looks or its power coz lets face it, learner bikes dont go anywhere. After 3 months of riding a learner bike, you'd wanna get rid of it and get their bigger brothers. I say get a bike that is cheap but reliable and one that u wouldnt be cut up about if u dropped it. Learner biker tend to have a better resale value than bigger bikes so no matter which one u get, chances are if u sell it or trade it in, you'd be able to get better $$$ for it (as long as u take care of it that is).

Also, naked bike are the best way to learn coz turning is so much easier and trust me, when u go for your "P" you'd want the bike to turn easily. Sports bikes have a bigger turning circle. Plus with a naked bike, u dont need to worry about scratching the fairing coz they dont have one.

EK4R
31-01-2009, 08:10 PM
^^ i agree to a certain extend.

if you want a sport bike and got a naked bike as your Ls, by the time you on your full and want a proper sport bike you get a 600 something, you would have to relearn some of the riding techniques as it is very different between the two.

also for your P license. you use their bikes not yours..which mostly are naked anywas and you can pretty much pick it up on the way.

naked are good to start on though

bennjamin
31-01-2009, 08:15 PM
...putting petrol is annoying coz u have to mix oil and fuel whenever u fill up. .

i thought the rs125 (and any current 2 stroke) is a auto mixer. That is , oilis separate to the fuel tank and it is automatically correctly mixed before combusted.

Anyway imo the perfect learner bike is a used CBR 250 R . Grab one for about 2-3 grand max. thrash it. drop it. sell it again in a year when you get sick of it.

Zdster
31-01-2009, 08:44 PM
also for your P license. you use their bikes not yours..which mostly are naked anywas and you can pretty much pick it up on the way.

I believe in NSW you use your own bike for P's testing.

Anyway imo the perfect learner bike is a used CBR 250 R . Grab one for about 2-3 grand max. thrash it. drop it. sell it again in a year when you get sick of it.

The problem is (even if you look past the fact that it is a faired bike) is that they are reasonably old and trying to pick one up in good condition for that price is nearly impossible.

bennjamin
31-01-2009, 11:03 PM
true to the above - i picked one up recently in good condition for about $2k. lots of rego and runs fine but i wouldnt pay too much more for it. Its a freaking 20 year old bike ffs.

preludacris
01-02-2009, 02:32 AM
that sh300 looks wicked. beast of a commuter.

VTECfreak
01-02-2009, 03:46 AM
What do you guys think about a NSR150 as a first bike for a complete biker noob with no experience such as myself?

I don't want to spend anymore than $3K for my first bike and what i've seen the NSR150 is about the only bike going around thats under $3K for 2001/02 model.

(i know you guys will recommend a VTR250 but i hate the naked look and also they're more expensive).

EK4R
01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
What do you guys think about a NSR150 as a first bike for a complete biker noob with no experience such as myself?

I don't want to spend anymore than $3K for my first bike and what i've seen the NSR150 is about the only bike going around thats under $3K for 2001/02 model.

(i know you guys will recommend a VTR250 but i hate the naked look and also they're more expensive).

read up dude.....250s r below 3k if you look around. patience. even new cbr125 are below 3k if you look around

N1nj4R1d4h
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I believe in NSW you use your own bike for P's testing.

In NSW, u can use your bike or hire theirs.

lHlonda
04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
V400 2009 anyone?
stylish new cruiser~
http://hondampe.com.au/repository/motorcycles/products/road/cruiser/vt400-09/introduction.aspx

tonee
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
hi im a new user here,
i know nothing about bikes, and woul like some information and opinions on cbr250, nsr150 or cbr125? whats the strokes? ive heard the 2 stroke nsr150 is quicker than cbr250 but have no idea how it works and so forth..
also i weigh 90kgs+, would the small 150 and 125 struggle?

Yes i have read a few previous pages and found nothing relevant, and theres too many pages to flick through to and from page 1.

If someone could give me some background knowledge and help me decide it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Twincam16
12-03-2009, 11:23 PM
woul like some information and opinions on cbr250, nsr150 or cbr125? whats the strokes? ive heard the 2 stroke nsr150 is quicker than cbr250 but have no idea how it works and so forth..
also i weigh 90kgs+, would the small 150 and 125 struggle?

Yes i have read a few previous pages and found nothing relevant, and theres too many pages to flick through to and from page 1.

If someone could give me some background knowledge and help me decide it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hope this helps bud...

Info and Opinions

* CBR250/250R/250RR - 250cc, 4 stroke, sports bike which is popular with most L platers going for a mix of speed and looks. Majority of these bikes are imported (also called a Grey Import) and because of this have gone through about 30 other people before you lay your hands on one. There are Aussie delivered cibbys (CBR's) which from what im told range from 1997-1999 and were imported directly by Honda Australia and sold as new (production on all CBR's actually ended in 1996). Preferably, go for an Aussie del bike, as its less likely to have been wound back by an importer, but chances are it's been wound back anyways. Anything less than 40,000 kms is asking for a bit much for a 20 year old bike... so keep an eye out for wear and tear on things like the chain/sprokets/cracks in frame/slide marks on anything but fairings.

The RR's are the newest version of the CBR250's above, differences between two... (thanks to cbr250.com)

** CBR250R (MC19) **Engine: 249cc, 4 stroke, 4cyl inline, 16 valve DOHC
Redline @ 18,000rpm
Chassis/Frame: More upright seating position, engine higher up.
Brakes: Single disc front and rear

** CBR250RR (MC22) **
Engine: 249cc, 4 stroke, 4cyl inline, 16 valve DOHC
Redline @ 19,000rpm
Chassis/Frame: Frame was different, lower seating position, curved rear arm
Brakes: Twin discs front, single disc rear

Some good equivalents would be bikes like the ZZR250's, GPX250's or the ZX2R. A lot cheaper than many lemon CBR's going around. You could also try out the highest selling bike of 2008, the Kawasaki 250R Ninja, which looks awesome, there are heaps to choose from, and you get a decent package for the price you pay (Yes! Aussie delivered and most still have factory warranty!)

** 2 Stroke / 4 Stroke **
Now before I tell you about our 2 stroke NSR, ill clarify the difference. The most simple way to put it is that a two stroke basically involves oil being fed into the motor WITH the fuel supply, whereas a 4 stroke has a separate resovoir to hold oil and lubricates pistons etc from the outside. 2 stroke does this in reverse (to some extent).

Normally, with a 2 stroke lawnmower, whippersnipper, or anything in your shed, you would have to mix the fuel you buy with a certain &#37; of oil before filling your tank up. Thankfully, the smart Japs realised that people wouldnt be too happy constantly measuring up oil:fuel ratios every time they filled, so two stroke bikes have a separate tank for fuel and oil which automatically mixes as you ride.

* NSR150 - 150cc, 2 stroke, 1 cyl, light, about 130kg... but produces power similar to a 250cc 4 stroke, but similar to our vtakkk its going to take a while to rev it out to get that power. Even taking off from a stop start will take a bit of revving to get moving, and if you weight 90kg+, its just going to take longer. They are also getting old now, and 2 strokes are less efficient, and harder to manage than a 4 stroke (Think rotary:cylinder for a good idea). Some other bikes in the same class are the RS125 (Aprilia), and Cagiva 125 which are a hell of a lot newer, but higher priced ($6000+).

* CBR125 - 125cc, 4 stroke, about 115kg so lighter than most but a lot newer and a lot LESS powered (9.5kw @ motor baby!). This thing is not suitable for Australian roads, its not going to haul the average aussie male around. If your 60kg, your power to weight ratio is going to be around 50kw/tonne lol...

When looking for a bike... Pay attention to the small details and look past the pretty fairings... its easy to clean up a bike, get new fairings, paint it. put some team repsol stickers on it, only to still have the same uncared for bike that they cracked in the first place...

If you are a heavy bloke, probably wouldnt reccomend getting any of the above, the cibby will get you around but maybe consider a decent 400cc or maybe a 500/650 even? If you can look past the hekticness of riding a 250cc superbike :p then maybe go for an easier to ride naked bike like the VTR250? Naked bikes (ones that dont have the plastics around the motor and radiator) are a lot easier to ride during your l's test as well... remember, turning in a sportsbike is a lot more restricted than most others. If you have a bad back or you are tall like me, you might get some issues with bending over all the time. My mates usually kick the air, and stretch on rides every 5 mins. Also, try to test out a bike before you commit to buying one, it may be harder for you as a learner, but if you are serious and nice enough, and have some cash for them to hold and smell as you ride it around, they should be alright...

Thats all I could think of... its late and im tired... hope it helps :thumbsup:

bubblecivic
14-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Mate I had a cbr250rr and never had any issues. It was quick and it revved very smoothly.

Although that was a good example, there are alot of duds out there floating around that will have continuous problems and have probaly been written off in the past.

I reckon the aprillia RS125 is a nice learner bike too!

Twincam16
15-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Mate I had a cbr250rr and never had any issues. It was quick and it revved very smoothly.

Although that was a good example, there are alot of duds out there floating around that will have continuous problems and have probaly been written off in the past.

I reckon the aprillia RS125 is a nice learner bike too!

Never said it wasnt a great learner bike, only to be wary of what you are looking at buying... especially since if someone is an L plater now, your gonna need a bike to kick through at least 3 years of restricted riding...

Still, there are heaps better options out there

lo0se3r
16-03-2009, 01:21 AM
good shit twincam

Type R Positive
16-03-2009, 09:41 AM
* NSR150 - and 2 strokes are less efficient
Bullshit.

Twincam16
16-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Bullshit.

Well thats a good reply but Ill rephrase it...

2 strokes are less reliable...

Because of this they do have efficiency problems... the reason they are used is because they are lighter (power:weight)... and cheaper to make... but you wont find a car with a 2 stroke engine because its not as reliable or efficient...

There is also the fact that the engine is burning oil at a higher rate than a 4 stroke so its going to need a topup of oil more frequently than the 4 will... so its less efficient

A 2 stroke wont last as long, so its less efficient...
More expensive maintaining it as well... costs more to run

Type R Positive
16-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Well thats a good reply but Ill rephrase it...

2 strokes are less reliable...

Because of this they do have efficiency problems... the reason they are used is because they are lighter (power:weight)... and cheaper to make... but you wont find a car with a 2 stroke engine because its not as reliable or efficient...

There is also the fact that the engine is burning oil at a higher rate than a 4 stroke so its going to need a topup of oil more frequently than the 4 will... so its less efficient

A 2 stroke wont last as long, so its less efficient...
More expensive maintaining it as well... costs more to run
Less reliable? I'd stop now if I were you.
From your talk I can tell you have never owned a 2 stroke.

CR500 2 stroke = most reliable bike ever built.

2 strokes make more power per capacity than 4 strokes.
Power efficiency goes to the 2 stroke.

Parts are way cheaper. I had to rebuild the top end on my 4 banger, cost over $2,500 for parts from USA. Costs 1/5 of that for a cylinder and piston on my 2 stroke. Bikes are cheaper to buy for starters too. Cost efficiency also goes to the 2 stroke.

Maintenance is also a win for the 2 stroke. I could change a piston out in 10 minutes on my 2 banger. Same job takes 1/2 a day on my 4 stroke. Cams FTL.

Down side is mixing fuel, and using more fuel. Both problems are solved on EFI 2 strokes. Pity only available on outboards at the moment. Replacing rings is also more frequent on small 2 strokes, but my 500 2 stroke needs them replaced like every 2 years, just like my 4 stroke.

As for no 2 strokes in cars? There has been quite a few. Even trucks run 2 stroke diesels. ;)

Twincam16
17-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Less reliable? I'd stop now if I were you.
From your talk I can tell you have never owned a 2 stroke.

CR500 2 stroke = most reliable bike ever built.

2 strokes make more power per capacity than 4 strokes.
Power efficiency goes to the 2 stroke.

Parts are way cheaper. I had to rebuild the top end on my 4 banger, cost over $2,500 for parts from USA. Costs 1/5 of that for a cylinder and piston on my 2 stroke. Bikes are cheaper to buy for starters too. Cost efficiency also goes to the 2 stroke.

Maintenance is also a win for the 2 stroke. I could change a piston out in 10 minutes on my 2 banger. Same job takes 1/2 a day on my 4 stroke. Cams FTL.

Down side is mixing fuel, and using more fuel. Both problems are solved on EFI 2 strokes. Pity only available on outboards at the moment. Replacing rings is also more frequent on small 2 strokes, but my 500 2 stroke needs them replaced like every 2 years, just like my 4 stroke.

As for no 2 strokes in cars? There has been quite a few. Even trucks run 2 stroke diesels. ;)

Listen, I didnt post it up to have an argument with anyone on here... I gave some info to a guy who asked about a few different models of bikes and peoples opinions on them, that is my opinion, if you have a different opinion, post it up dont have a crack at me...

I never said anything about 2 strokes being used in Trucks or Deisels

And comparing the cost of a 4 stroke parts to 2 stroke parts is ironic... Fair enough 2 strokes are usually a lot cheaper to replace, but this is because they are cheaper to make, and use a lot less parts. But lets not forget you are going to have to replace them more often though, and accomodate for labour and you've got yourself more than enough to accomodate the saving you would have made

I cant think of many higher (more than 250cc) capacity superbikes that would use a two stroke apart from maybe those Aprilia RS's... And I assume with FACTS the reason for this is because they are unreliable or less efficient (in comparison to a 4 stroke)...

Explain me this... If a two stroke is as reliable as a 4 stroke as you say... and seeing that they are 1- cheaper to manufacture, and 2- produce power for less cubes and retaining a higher P:W ratio, then why are the most leading bike manufacturers constantly using 4 stroke motors in their top of the line bikes? let alone the whole range apart from the <250cc'ers

Answer... because they are not as efficient...

Type R Positive
17-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Explain me this... If a two stroke is as reliable as a 4 stroke as you say... and seeing that they are 1- cheaper to manufacture, and 2- produce power for less cubes and retaining a higher P:W ratio, then why are the most leading bike manufacturers constantly using 4 stroke motors in their top of the line bikes? let alone the whole range apart from the <250cc'ers

Answer... because they are not as efficient...
Bullshit again!

The reason they don't make them is because of race rules.
2 strokes are not allowed in Moto GP. Just like in AMA pro MX and SX.

You have to be more specific when talking about efficiency.
They are less fuel efficient, not less efficient. ;)

It's funny how a clean sweep of 2 strokes from 1996 still hold the Eastern Creek lap records....

Twincam16
18-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Bullshit again!

The reason they don't make them is because of race rules.
2 strokes are not allowed in Moto GP. Just like in AMA pro MX and SX.

You have to be more specific when talking about efficiency.
They are less fuel efficient, not less efficient. ;)

Do you have sand in your vagina?

If something is less efficient, its less efficient... I didnt answer the guy that asked me whether trucks used diesel, the rules of MotoGP or if the earth spins on a 13 degree axis.

I simply said that 2 strokes (more precisely a 20 year old 2 stroke - the NSR150) is not a good option to go for due to its old age, and its lack of EFFICIENCY... theres about another 50 points why he SHOULDNT get an NSR150 but thats one of the main ones

Better yet... take your pointless one sided argument to Boostcruising

Type R Positive
18-03-2009, 03:19 PM
FFS! Efficiency is a measure of many many things.
Fuel is just one of them.

You are talking shit, never owned a 2 banger yet think you know everything about them. STFU and GTFO. :thumbsup:

Twincam16
18-03-2009, 11:19 PM
FFS! Efficiency is a measure of many many things.
Fuel is just one of them.

You are talking shit, never owned a 2 banger yet think you know everything about them. STFU and GTFO. :thumbsup:

Did you not read my last post? Im still confused to what your whole point is on this useless shit you are posting... Are you honestly wasting your breath arguing about this fkn pointless shit because I generally said "Efficient" instead of "Not FUEL efficient"

Are you all up there in the head?

Twincam16
18-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Just to clear it up for you... (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=100&defl=en&q=define:efficient&ei=9fTASYWCHMPDkAWF2vgl&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title)

Definitions of efficient on the Web:

being effective without wasting time or effort or expense; "an efficient production manager"; "efficient engines save gas"

Does this help you?

krogoth
19-03-2009, 07:13 AM
can both of you stick ur argument in PM

we dont need to see this in the "best bike to learn on thread"

Twincam16
19-03-2009, 11:38 AM
yeh I agree... have requested deleted posts - its not helpful here at all

sifnt
24-03-2009, 01:48 PM
end of the day you want it to be a temporary 3 months bike, i still reckon the cbr250rr is the best buy, cause you would never lose that much after getting your P's. it a common bike that everyone generally wants as a first bike, so you be able to find one and sell one within the same time.

lo0se3r
24-03-2009, 06:01 PM
it wont be a temporary bike for long

EK4R
26-03-2009, 03:03 PM
it wont be a temporary bike for long

huh why not...

lo0se3r
26-03-2009, 08:12 PM
new laws buddy

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108819

lo0se3r
26-03-2009, 08:13 PM
just noted your from melbourne lol

the new law applies to nsw

EK4R
26-03-2009, 08:29 PM
oh didnt know. :) all good

good bang for buck bikes. i had a ninja 250. sold it for a profit after 3 months. they keep their value

Twincam16
29-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Will be hard to do that in future though, more and more learners, and ninja 250r was last years top selling bike in Aus...

Gonna be a flood of them on the used market soon

Type R Positive
30-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Will be hard to do that in future though, more and more learners, and ninja 250r was last years top selling bike in Aus...

Gonna be a flood of them on the used market soon
3rd actually.

Twincam16
31-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Ahh you always have to proove a point...

Since when has a postie or a Pee-Wee 50 been typical road bikes... let alone learner bike?

250r still last years biggest selling road bike. And suprisingly enough they are ALL ridden by learners... *shock*

AznEmpress
08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
The Honda CBR 125

marabaan
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda Bros NT400
learner legal 400cc
then i did my test on a CB250 and man i was it crap to ride.
i really didnt feel safe on those skinny wheels
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109594

aimre
08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Ahh you always have to proove a point...

Since when has a postie or a Pee-Wee 50 been typical road bikes... let alone learner bike?

250r still last years biggest selling road bike. And suprisingly enough they are ALL ridden by learners... *shock*

No they arent. I have seen plenty beeing ridden by ppl on fulls. And there no even 2 yrs old.

Means eith P platers bought them or ppl on their fulls

Twincam16
08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
No they arent. I have seen plenty beeing ridden by ppl on fulls. And there no even 2 yrs old.

Means eith P platers bought them or ppl on their fulls

I dont get wat u said? As P-platers are also under the LAMS scheme...

Why would somebody be dumb enough to buy one on their fulls, its just wasting money...

This bike is specifically targeted at the novice rider - even Kawasaki will tell you that

RoNi_SiZe
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
04 Suzuki GSXR600.

Taught me how to handle a PHAT bike w/o dropping it, brake, control the throttle & control myself.

EK4R
09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
lol best advise there roni.

D4rk4n63l
10-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I had the opportunity to ride the new ninja 250R, its too expensive for what it is (mainly because it looks appealing to most new riders). CBR250 is a great bike but it is an old relic :p

I still think that the VTR250 is the best learners bike out there today.
But, since when riding a motorbike is all about being sensible.. otherwise we all be riding scooters. I think I'm right in saying that buying a bike is all up to each individual taste in the end. And when some people argue that any particular bike is better than the other, I wouldn't blame them.. In a way, they all right..

I started with a VTR250 and can't put any fault on it... but I think I got everything out of that bike in a few months time. Now I ride an Aprilia RS125 and this is like a steep learning curve to me.. but I like it!!! And with the new law coming, I think the best bike for any new riders is the one that they wont mind spending some time learning on.

ps. I sold my VTR for a profit and bought the RS for a lot cheaper.. 2 strokes FTW !!!

Twincam16
10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I had the opportunity to ride the new ninja 250R, its too expensive for what it is (mainly because it looks appealing to most new riders). CBR250 is a great bike but it is an old relic :p

I still think that the VTR250 is the best learners bike out there today.
But, since when riding a motorbike is all about being sensible.. otherwise we all be riding scooters. I think I'm right in saying that buying a bike is all up to each individual taste in the end. And when some people argue that any particular bike is better than the other, I wouldn't blame them.. In a way, they all right..

I started with a VTR250 and can't put any fault on it... but I think I got everything out of that bike in a few months time. Now I ride an Aprilia RS125 and this is like a steep learning curve to me.. but I like it!!! And with the new law coming, I think the best bike for any new riders is the one that they wont mind spending some time learning on.

ps. I sold my VTR for a profit and bought the RS for a lot cheaper.. 2 strokes FTW !!!

+1 top advice :thumbsup:

Try a few bikes out before you commit to one

Spoon DA9R
01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
i m thinking about the hyosung 250/250r...mostlikely 250r..i mean be honest..everyone only plan to ride it for a few months then sell it for their dream bike...so i m thinking a cheap newish bike.not too fast and its similar to a sports bike style so i can get use to it and sell it a few months later and hopefully wont lose too much money and easier to pass it onto the nxt L as it'll be cheap and newer

i m also thinking the prices of it may drop alot in a few months so i m better of getting the 250 as its almost 1k cheaper ( i m talking about 2nd hand here) however may be harder to get ride of as it obviously doesnt look as appealing...i mean either way L's look gay riding on any bikes...but i hope to get one that'll be easier to sell after a few months...

comments?

EK4R
01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
hyosung has crap resale value.

get 250 2nd hand for cheap and resale it. u wont lost much. i made a profit actually

chunky
01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
my mate just got a kawasaki ninja in black for 8k

EK4R
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
btw hyosung sux in terms of power and build quality. dropped my 250 once , got it bak up in one piece no problems. reliable too. not a single problem since i had it.

Spoon DA9R
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
i thought about the zx2r..but again its a bit old...

i dun care about power for the first few months really...not going to take it that hard..dun wanna be in a wheelchair again for another 6 months LOL...

friends at work told me to get the zx2r..i know its an excellent bike..i mean i thought about getting just a shtty road bike..lol...i know i'll look stupid in it...but its only for a few months...o well..see how it goes...

kyle
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Ive ridden dirt bikes since I was 10. Im 23 now and just got my RE licence.

Just bought a WR250X. Id recomend that for anyone learning or looking for a commuter.

http://content.wicms.com/shared/images/YAMAHA_2008_Motorcycles/dual_purpose/2008_WR250X_DPBSE_1.jpg

MrJohn
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM
cbr250rr honda is da bomb =P

me5t1za
08-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I need some advice and yes I've gone through all 30 pages. I'm contemplating going for my bike license in the next couple of weeks as I've always wanted to ride a bike and not be a passenger. I work 9-5 mon to fri in the city and travel about 28km to get to work. Im a honda fan and would luv to stick to them i.e getting a CBR125R or a big bigger but not sure. I basically want to get a decent ride that has good handling and a bit of power that would last me a while (not looking to upgrade). I'm bout 5 ft 3 so i want to be able to stand when stationary and im not talking about being on my tippy toes lol any suggestions would be much appreciated.

bennjamin
08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
dont get a cbr125 - its a 1cyl. 4 stroke with like 9 hp. It is SLOW and expensive.

IMO get a used cbr250 R (single R) cheap , decent power and good handling for a small bike. Also same thing as a RR with a similar look , and lacks the expanded price.

me5t1za
08-10-2009, 10:56 PM
dont get a cbr125 - its a 1cyl. 4 stroke with like 9 hp. It is SLOW and expensive.

IMO get a used cbr250 R (single R) cheap , decent power and good handling for a small bike. Also same thing as a RR with a similar look , and lacks the expanded price.

cheers for that.
yes i was thinking about the cbr250 R and i know they have a good resale value if i decide to sell it after a few years. I guess i just have to really look around for a good one as i do know alot of young ppl go for either one.but having said that i don't want one that hasn't been looked after.

Inf3ct0R
09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
cheers for that.
yes i was thinking about the cbr250 R and i know they have a good resale value if i decide to sell it after a few years. I guess i just have to really look around for a good one as i do know alot of young ppl go for either one.but having said that i don't want one that hasn't been looked after.

don't forget that cbr250's can be a maximum of 21 to a minimum of 13 years old. shit starts to fail with age. IMO a cbr125r is a more reliable bike. plus it teaches you to carry speed into the corner.

me5t1za
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
don't forget that cbr250's can be a maximum of 21 to a minimum of 13 years old. shit starts to fail with age. IMO a cbr125r is a more reliable bike. plus it teaches you to carry speed into the corner.

Yer I've taken that into consideration as well. Although it's in my price range, i cant justify spending 5g's on a bike that old, unless it's been looked after. but even then, it's like buying an old car. I do like the KAWASAKI ZX-2R but there's not many in adelaide. I don't wanna have to go interstate as i like to check it out in person etc. I also will be keeping my civic as well so don't wanna spend too much.

Inf3ct0R
09-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Yer I've taken that into consideration as well. Although it's in my price range, i cant justify spending 5g's on a bike that old, unless it's been looked after. but even then, it's like buying an old car. I do like the KAWASAKI ZX-2R but there's not many in adelaide. I don't wanna have to go interstate as i like to check it out in person etc. I also will be keeping my civic as well so don't wanna spend too much.

If I was to do it all again, I would buy a naked bike, dropping it isn't as painful as a faired bike. working on it would be a breeze as well. high performance 4 stroke 250's are slow anyway. and it still takes forever to get to 180kph, so why bother try getting there in the first place? wait out the 15-39 months for your full licence and be prepared to shit yourself when you hop on a *real* bike. :D:angel:

me5t1za
09-10-2009, 11:35 AM
If I was to do it all again, I would buy a naked bike, dropping it isn't as painful as a faired bike. working on it would be a breeze as well. high performance 4 stroke 250's are slow anyway. and it still takes forever to get to 180kph, so why bother try getting there in the first place? wait out the 15-39 months for your full licence and be prepared to shit yourself when you hop on a *real* bike. :D:angel:

I'm not a fan of naked bikes and like i said i'm looking for a ride that would last me a while. I don't plan on upgrading if i get my full licence as my main ride would still be my civic. Plus i'm not a hoon and wouldn't want to get to 180kph anyway. My main focus wouldn't be on power, i just want like a decent daily that has a bit of power, so if needed, i can get out of a situation i.e like that guy on one of the previous pages who was cut off by a truck.

gumbs
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Is there a specific reason your against nakeds? is it the head light or just the whole look?

At your height the best suggestion I can make is to go and sit on some bikes. Normally I'd recommend one of the bigger lams bikes (does SA have lams yet?) but the size of a 250 probably isn't going to bother you and I'm assuming you way next to nothing?

How mechanically minded are you? Are you planning on commuting on it or riding purely for fun? An NSR150 is a fair bit newer than the CBR250s and its light with a fairly low seat height and being 2 stroke it makes ok power. However it does need alot more maintance than a 4 stroke and it doesn't like sitting at constant revs or sitting in traffic.

rob1000
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Dunno if someone has already mentioned this but i suggest against the CBR250RR's. Their turning circle is so bad apparently it can be detrimental to even passing the P's test because you won't fit between the cones!

Twincam16
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Dunno if someone has already mentioned this but i suggest against the CBR250RR's. Their turning circle is so bad apparently it can be detrimental to even passing the P's test because you won't fit between the cones!

I did my P's on an RVF which has an even smaller turning circle than the CBR's and didnt touch the line.

If you know how to ride and practice enough, you can do that turning circle on any bike.

bennjamin
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

as a cb250r owner , i totally disagree with your post. The turning circle , is the same if not similar to most other bikes of this size i have ridden - what you say - is a myth produced by a failed learner or two.

I am very agile on my cbr and have done the test with no issue. Its the RIDER not the bike.

rob1000
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
fine then, i stand corrected ;) Just something i remember the guy saying when i did the test

bennjamin
09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
fine then, i stand corrected ;) Just something i remember the guy saying when i did the test

i too , stated a similar thing "...oh i heard this bike is harder to turn etc etc" to which the testing officer said "what a load of BS."

I proved i passed with flying colours - lots of back brake and clutch riding and you will be smooth and wont touch the ground.

me5t1za
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Is there a specific reason your against nakeds? is it the head light or just the whole look?

At your height the best suggestion I can make is to go and sit on some bikes. Normally I'd recommend one of the bigger lams bikes (does SA have lams yet?) but the size of a 250 probably isn't going to bother you and I'm assuming you way next to nothing?

How mechanically minded are you? Are you planning on commuting on it or riding purely for fun? An NSR150 is a fair bit newer than the CBR250s and its light with a fairly low seat height and being 2 stroke it makes ok power. However it does need alot more maintance than a 4 stroke and it doesn't like sitting at constant revs or sitting in traffic.

It would probably be the look as it's not my style. like i said i plan to keep the bike for a while so i want to invest in both looks and style. I'll mainly be using it for commuting with maybe a few cruises in there but nothing ridiculous. I would be using it for work and therefore would be stuck in traffic etc so while an NSR150 is in my budget, it doesn't fit the other requirements. Plus I've only seen one listed in SA.

And yes we do have lams:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

gumbs
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Fair enough if your commuting on it a 2 stroke is a bad idea. For full fairing decent looking 250s you have the
CBR250 R and RR
ZXR250 (sometimes called the ZX2R)
FZR250
ZZR250
250R (ninja the new one)
GPX250, a bit fugly though.

They're the common ones and in reality anyone of them will do the job if you get a decent condition one. Only the ZZR,GPX and 250R have been made since 2000. If you can budget $4000 and take someone looking with you, you won't have a problem finding a good well maintained example. You can probably find one for 3k.

me5t1za
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Fair enough if your commuting on it a 2 stroke is a bad idea. For full fairing decent looking 250s you have the
CBR250 R and RR
ZXR250 (sometimes called the ZX2R)
FZR250
ZZR250
250R (ninja the new one)
GPX250, a bit fugly though.

They're the common ones and in reality anyone of them will do the job if you get a decent condition one. Only the ZZR,GPX and 250R have been made since 2000. If you can budget $4000 and take someone looking with you, you won't have a problem finding a good well maintained example. You can probably find one for 3k.

Cheers for that gumbs, some of the ones you've listed like the ZZR250 and the ZXR250, i've been looking into but just needed the conformation that they were ok for commuting etc. Will post when i get my ride :)

Lepperfish
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
I had and recommend an XR250R Honda road/trail bike. Fun to learn on and piss easy to do the P's test on.

EuroAccord13
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I would like to suggest not using a cruiser for your test heheheeh.... the long wheelbase and bad turning circle is definitely not a good bike for taking your test LOL~

Spoon DA9R
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Cheers for that gumbs, some of the ones you've listed like the ZZR250 and the ZXR250, i've been looking into but just needed the conformation that they were ok for commuting etc. Will post when i get my ride :)

work mate been into bikes for years kept telling me i'd never go wrong with the zx2r

so i m kinda interested in getting one too but i m leaning towards something newer and easier to sell later

anyway point is..if u r planning on keeping the bike and not upgrade..zx2r would be good...and now they've got some new fairings out to change the look of it and it'll look even better the new models...

krogoth
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I would like to suggest not using a cruiser for your test heheheeh.... the long wheelbase and bad turning circle is definitely not a good bike for taking your test LOL~

i said that to u before the test, loool!!!!!

markCivicVti
21-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Well I ended up getting a LAMS 2010 Hyosung EFI GT650R... had it for a little while now... about 4,000km on it mainly commuting and a few mt nebo/glorious runs..

If you can afford it then go for it... good bike so far. I know most ppl know about their bad rep.. but bad rep hangs around for a while. But meh, thats what 2 years warranty is for.

Don't buy if:
- you want everyone to love your bike (lotsa h4terz on the hyo)
- want good resale
- want a slow-ass 250 or a bike that looks like a push bike :P

http://a4.vox.com/6a00fad697b9e8000401101869da6c860f-500pi

I bought it because it has good power for a learner 40KW... and can be de-resticted when I'm off my RE license. Plus I know I won't be upgrading.. that is unless I write this bike off. For 9k rideaway win!

rob1000
21-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Definitely looks nice man. I especially like how the exhaust looks

lo0se3r
21-10-2009, 06:28 PM
hay the new paint scheme for it looks nice, white sets it off

yeh the 650 and the 250 is almost exactly the same exterior you can tell the difference between them by the 650 having a black can

Perry
22-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Anymore pics?

markCivicVti
22-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Anymore pics?

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah i like the stock exhaust too.. went to debaffle it... turned out it had a cat in it :(.

http://a6.vox.com/6a00fad697b9e80004011017fbd446860e-500pi

Perry
23-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Woow i like the colour, too bad there pretty big for me :(

markCivicVti
24-10-2009, 06:51 PM
As long as you can get your feet flat on the ground don't let the weight intimidate you. Once its moving you'll realise its quite flickable and doesn't feel so heavy.

ekdez
09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
hey all, looking to purchase a bike.. done some research into what i want, well not really, just cosmetics haha..

but i just booked my stay upright course to be done in the next few weeks and will probably need a bike to ride.

im not really looking for something more or less then a 600..
i can stand perfectly fine with my legs' spread like so, /|\ over a 600.

kinda narrowed my wish list to

nothing less then an '08 model
Suzuki GSXR600
Yamaha YZF-R6
Daytona 675 (yeah i know its more then a 600 but is a sexy bike)

just curious into which one people would recommend as a first timer... in terms of 600's.. and i dont want a cbr or a ninja sorry.

p.s. dont waste your time or breathe if your going to write negatives which wont help me at all..

also any other bike websites which might help me out? :)

thanks in advance.

EK4R
10-11-2009, 11:14 PM
i rode the gixxer, cbr and r6 together and i gotta say for daily cbr is actually quiet comfortable. but in the end i still got the r6 cos it looks hella more sexy than anything out there. and isnt that what your looking for cosmetics ? lol

anyways im selling my r6, perfect time for summer!!

got a dedicated gallery pic here if interested

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113488

Twincam16
11-11-2009, 01:39 AM
hey all, looking to purchase a bike.. done some research into what i want, well not really, just cosmetics haha..

but i just booked my stay upright course to be done in the next few weeks and will probably need a bike to ride.

im not really looking for something more or less then a 600..
i can stand perfectly fine with my legs' spread like so, /|\ over a 600.

kinda narrowed my wish list to

nothing less then an '08 model
Suzuki GSXR600
Yamaha YZF-R6
Daytona 675 (yeah i know its more then a 600 but is a sexy bike)

just curious into which one people would recommend as a first timer... in terms of 600's.. and i dont want a cbr or a ninja sorry.

p.s. dont waste your time or breathe if your going to write negatives which wont help me at all..

also any other bike websites which might help me out? :)

thanks in advance.

I guess youre over 30 and you are going to get a 600 and pass your test before you ride it?

gumbs
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Buy the one which you feel most comfortable on. There's only a bees dick of difference between the 600s and normally I'd suggest test riding each and finding which one is set up closest to what you like and which one has the best power band in your opinion.

But it seems you haven't ridden anything yet so your not going to be able to tell the difference between them other than seating position and engine note. If you try test riding them your just going to be thinking holy **** I'm going to die the whole time rather then picking the subtle differences between the bikes.

Personally I'd be going for the R6 as they're better built then the gixxer and the 675 has a very aggressive riding possesion. But then again it isn't really going to much difference to you because you'll end up loving which ever you get, provided it doesn't kill you.

For the record buying a 600cc super sport for a first bike is a REALLY BAD IDEA. But I'm not your mum so go for your life.

Twincam16
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Personally I'd be going for the R6 as they're better built then the gixxer and the 675 has a very aggressive riding possesion. But then again it isn't really going to much difference to you because you'll end up loving which ever you get, provided it doesn't kill you.

K5 and current GSXR build quality is tops! And the R6 has the most aggressive riding position ive ever felt. It scared me touching the brakes. GSXR has a more relaxed position and better for tall guys like me as your arse isnt 10ft in the air. Never been on a 675 though, but ive heard they are well set up for daily riding. Look a bit dated now though

For the record buying a 600cc super sport for a first bike is a REALLY BAD IDEA. But I'm not your mum so go for your life.

+1. Its a bad idea, you wont have insurance

williamwong
12-11-2009, 02:33 AM
ahh.. have a few questions regarding driving a bike here in Australia. i'm in Melb and have a Malaysian car driving license that i use here if that makes any difference.

1. if i buy a bike from A, how do i bring it home since i do not have a bike license?
2. where do you guys park the bike say if in CBD ?
3. I can practice riding at home myself and go for the test yeah?
4. other than a helmet, gloves/jackets etc are not required by law?

was thinking of just getting a scooter for the fun during summer but seems that i cant get a more kick-ass one for not much more lol.

krogoth
12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
1. you will need a trailer or ute

2. most places are quite relaxed when it comes to parking the bike, though im not sure about all the particulars like on what side of the pavement and how you can leave the bike, or for how long

3. practise at home? im assuming u have previous experience? or u want to buy a 5k bike and try to go in circles in your back yard?

if u have little or no previous experience, go and get your learners first, ur gona need it

they teach u everything from scratch, costs around $300, i recommend HART

then you can ride the bike u buy home or any where else for up to 15 months, then u must apply for ur license

4. Sure only helmet is required, thats because its one of those old laws that tries to rely on peoples common sense rather than having to legislate for every known possibility

if u go riding without all the proper gear, u are being unbelievably stupid, lol

Spoon DA9R
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
or else get someone who have a license to ride it home for you.
in vic, it is legal to park on foot path and pretty much any where that do not obstruct anyone or thing
u can practice at home but as krogoth said its better to go for the test..its 260 for 2 day course during weekdays...i m doing it with a friend on coming monday...*fingers crossed*
by law u only need helmet...but after an accident i had on a pocket bike...i m going to be wearing jacket, pants and gloves or i'll just drive my car...

williamwong
12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
thanks for clearing up guys, rules are a little different here from where i came from. was a little confused of the whole LAMS thing.

so procedure goes like get learners -> buy bike -> buy helmet etc -> drive around for 15months -> get full license.

another questions, are there bikes that does not need license? scooter / moped or the like? this is because i might be leaving au in 2 years time and wana get something cheappp so depreciation dont bite me as hard.

Spoon DA9R
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
all bikes needs a license in aus.

prcedure should be..( this is if u r serious...)

buy helmet (maybe gloves, jacket and pants as well) > learners > bike > 3months later Ps > 12 months after that fulls

when u go for Ls u'll need to wear helmet and gloves to learn..they do provide u with them, but i never like to wear someone else's sweaty gloves/helmet..so u mite as well get the gears now...

krogoth
12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
to drive anything on the road pretty much, u must have your learners, when u go to a certified company that offers you a 2 day course to learn everything from scratch, u will be allowed to choose to learn on a scooter or a proper bike

the learner permit covers both motorcycles

if u have previous experience riding and believe u are good enough, a 4 hour course and learner test is available, they provide all equipment for both the 1 and 2 day course

15 months is the maximum amount of time you can hold a learner permit before it expires

but u can get ur license much before then

sounds a bit confusing, but if u get ur learners, then you have to hold them without any problems for a minimum of 3months before u are allowed to go for ur license test

but not every1 can afford to buy a bike as soon as they get their Ls, and not every1 feels confident enough after 3 months to go and apply for their license

moofymumma
12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Just be wary as the rules for learners are different in each state and the rules have just changed recently in most states.

If you aren't going to be in the country for long make sure you buy one that you can flog off easy enough when you leave. I'd suggest looking at the Honda Spada - a great 'old' learners bike that doesn't look too crap and goes well (for a 250).

rpm boy
13-11-2009, 04:01 PM
wait is the yzf-r6 learner legal?

rob1000
13-11-2009, 04:05 PM
wait is the yzf-r6 learner legal?

if it was, there'd be a lot of people going splat each week ;)

rpm boy
13-11-2009, 04:34 PM
lol didnt think so, but theres alot of people going splat anyway so at least with an r6 u can do it properly :p
can someone please explain the ins and outs of buying a bike?
kms wise
dents on tank wise
etc
would love to buy a cbr250rr but am a little too big :(

krogoth
13-11-2009, 11:05 PM
they do seem a little small sometimes

but to begin with, its great to have something lighter

a bigger heavier bike can be a bit of a challenge, even when coming from a lot of experience from smaller bikes id imagine

just find a big cruiser man, u can get plenty that are chunky and comfortable enough for bigger people to ride with ease

rob1000
14-11-2009, 05:28 PM
lol didnt think so, but theres alot of people going splat anyway so at least with an r6 u can do it properly :p

lol true, true

rpm boy
16-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Well id love to get a CBR250 as im planning on selling all of my cars and just having the bike to commute to and from work and then to my GF's house as ill just use her car

Twincam16
16-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Rob as long as u always have a car that u can back urself up on ull be fine bro... dont get caught in the rain

..and watever u do, dont use a bike as ur main mode of transport when you are a learner/provisional, especially in the city... dickhead drivers WILL make you crash and there is nothing you can do about it...

rpm boy
16-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah well i was planning to use it for transport to/from work in the city till Jan 2010 but then again if worse comes to worse i can catch the train
Whats everyones thoughts on a ducati 400ss for 5k? 26,000 on the clock?

Twincam16
17-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Research the service costs/parts cost for any duke you buy man, if something goes wrong you dont want to have to take it to Frasers to order a part in which might take a while to get in

Ducati forum? Netrider?

rpm boy
17-11-2009, 03:14 PM
lol yeah after posting that i did a little research and apart from tyres are next to impossible to buy for them they are air cooled, lots of comments about it having a primitive motor etc.... back to the drawing board

Spoon DA9R
17-11-2009, 09:49 PM
i love the ducati..but a mate told me unless i m happy to keep throwing money into a bottmless pit..stay away from dukes...

i was thinking of just ahving the bike to commute to work...or else take the train...i only use the car nowadays to drive 5-10 mins to gf's house...so i was thinking maybe a bike is all i need...

after i did the test over the last 2 days....i think i m keeping the car....

and btw... I PASSED! wahahha...

it was actually harder than i though...tbh...having fallen off a pocket bike at 50km/hr let me sour...the fear never went away...still have scars on my arms and back to remind me..but i guess its good to be scared... i wont be one of those idiots out there...

like last week..while driving to city..going through caufield S bend...an idiot on a CBR250rr/r in front of me start doing swerves on one lane like how they warm up their tyres on track on motogp...but i thought...while u r doing 70..and u r only swerving in one lane..dun think it'll do much...then when he came to the corner...stuck his ass out to oneside...and knee dropped... but the way he kept his back so straight...he looked extremely gay doing alll that...while still doing 70kmph......anyway i just thought he was really dangerous...

Twincam16
18-11-2009, 10:00 AM
haha - Valentino leg whips

yeah you have to watch out sometimes, these guys tend to commit themselves too much, no point in the city

bennjamin
18-11-2009, 10:05 AM
perfect learners bike imo MC19. Cheaper version of the MC22 and generally only 1 year older. Still as reliable and still decent resale value. And decent power for what it is. More handling is the best part about it tho.

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 10:10 AM
what brand is MC19/22? = CBR250RR? dont really like CBRs

thought about the megelli250r haha..they just look so good...

but then after driving the 1cylinder cbf250 during the test...decided against 1cylinder bikes...too jerky...or maybe just the bikes there are crap...

bennjamin
18-11-2009, 10:11 AM
what brand is MC19/22?

sorry

HONDA CBR250 R = MC19
" CBR250 RR = MC22

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 10:31 AM
to be honest....i feel that CBRs prices are actually jacked up..not that they hold their value...cost 7k for a 1999 CBR250RR with 8,650km (god knows how many times its been wind back)...i really would rather spend 6K ride-away price for a brand new megelli250r. mite be slow...but its cheap and new! and it looks freaking hot...the only problem is i dont wanna feel all jerky coz of the 1 cylinder...saw a guy that have one..he said its ok..i mite go test it out first and decide...

bennjamin
18-11-2009, 10:34 AM
to be honest....i feel that CBRs prices are actually jacked up..not that they hold their value...cost 7k for a 1999 CBR250RR with 8,650km (god knows how many times its been wind back)...i really would rather spend 6K ride-away price for a brand new megelli250r. mite be slow...but its cheap and new! and it looks freaking hot...the only problem is i dont wanna feel all jerky coz of the 1 cylinder...saw a guy that have one..he said its ok..i mite go test it out first and decide...

read my point above lol. Yes the mc22 IS overpriced.

The MC19 , Is the CBR250 R. It is 1 or 2 years old , often similar condition and very slightly different design. But same power and much cheaper.

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 10:44 AM
lol..my bad..confused msyelf there..

looked at some review...now i m shifting to the ninja..hahaha

rpm boy
18-11-2009, 10:59 AM
why is the rvf400 lams legal but the older vfr400 not lams legal?

Twincam16
18-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Rumour is a guy who was on the LAMS approval board had share in the company who imported that particular model...

Spoon DA9R - Remember if you drop a megelli it will prob be a write off...

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 12:00 PM
ROFL...i truely think that would be the case...even if i drop it sideways from stand...

just went to have a look with a colleague...man..the build quality...i think i can even do better than that...

now i m just thinking maybe just spend 3-4 k on the old zx2r..always like them...would be good to learn on for a year...found a really cheap one...3500 not bad

rpm boy
18-11-2009, 12:15 PM
is that the green one on ebay?

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 12:20 PM
was looking up carsales havent checked ebay...

*just checked it out...the ebay one looks ok...but thats in nsw..i m in melb

rpm boy
18-11-2009, 12:36 PM
oh lol good for me then:p
Im keen on this VRF400 even though its not a lams approved bike, think i could talk my way out of it if i put the RVF400 sticker on it :p

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 12:46 PM
lol yeah would be good for you..

haha gd luck with that...

rpm boy
18-11-2009, 12:56 PM
apparently you can write a letter or ask the rta to make consideration of a bike to be lams approved so i might go in that direction

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 01:03 PM
thats nice...doubt they'll consider that in melb...

bennjamin
18-11-2009, 02:05 PM
do it rob.

I want a VFR400 in classic colour scheme.

http://www.dapper-dogs.net/bikes/images/vfr400.jpg

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 02:10 PM
erm..looks good...but most of them are so expensive...

Perry
18-11-2009, 03:10 PM
ROFL...i truely think that would be the case...even if i drop it sideways from stand...

just went to have a look with a colleague...man..the build quality...i think i can even do better than that...

now i m just thinking maybe just spend 3-4 k on the old zx2r..always like them...would be good to learn on for a year...found a really cheap one...3500 not bad

I currently ride a old zx2r can't complaint anything on it and handling is :thumbsup:

rpm boy
18-11-2009, 03:31 PM
how are they in comparison to a cbr250 in your opinion?

Spoon DA9R
18-11-2009, 04:35 PM
yeah i m eyeing an zx2r...THE TRUE NINJA hahaha....

well friends been riding for years...suggested me zx2r...ppl at HART told me zx2r after i told them about my choices...hahaha

Twincam16
18-11-2009, 10:21 PM
apparently you can write a letter or ask the rta to make consideration of a bike to be lams approved so i might go in that direction

My RVF400 was imported & badged as a 1994 VFR400, and my rego also has VFR400, but is registered under as LA (LAM) under the old import scheme. Its an RVF, but because it was brought to Aus before 2003 they had the older scheme and they classified the RVF's as VFR's as it was almost the same bike.

Back then the importer for these models was OTOBAI wholesale who were in Qld, this was bought out by Sumoto who now have the RAWS scheme to this bike now.

So seriously, you could probably do it, id ask RTA the go first and explain situation

But the again the RVF is a slightly better bike, and you will find most of the VFR's have had their run

rpm boy
19-11-2009, 12:47 PM
well the VRF400 is a hell of a lot cheaper but i gather only because of the lams situation so saying that it is possible to do it then the price will go up
and none of the rvf bikes for sale have replied to my emails so it looks like i get a postie bike to tie me over :p

Twincam16
19-11-2009, 12:50 PM
well the VRF400 is a hell of a lot cheaper but i gather only because of the lams situation so saying that it is possible to do it then the price will go up
and none of the rvf bikes for sale have replied to my emails so it looks like i get a postie bike to tie me over :p

For sure, if there was no LAMS, every CBR250 in the country would be worth $1500 haha

Spoon DA9R
19-11-2009, 01:18 PM
damn even vfr and rvf are over 5k...

think when i have the cash i'll just get a cheap zx2r for around 3-3.5...not going to keep it long anyway..

rpm boy
19-11-2009, 02:14 PM
So i Bought the VFR400 for a good price, anyone know where i can get rvf400 stickers :p

Spoon DA9R
19-11-2009, 02:18 PM
ebay! haha

rpm boy
19-11-2009, 03:04 PM
nope bikesales, got it for $3500

The RVF400R has a reputation for excellent reliability and good build quality, though not quite as high as its predecessor, the VFR400R.
Contents
Wikipedia

Twincam16
19-11-2009, 03:39 PM
$3500 is cheap well done Rob, which model is it?

Did you ask about the LAMS rego with RTA?

rpm boy
19-11-2009, 03:43 PM
nope not yet, its a 1995 VFR400 ill get round to asking the rta next week, im not picking it up till next weekend neway

Twincam16
19-11-2009, 07:06 PM
nope not yet, its a 1995 VFR400 ill get round to asking the rta next week, im not picking it up till next weekend neway

95 model? Is that when it was complied

Perry
20-11-2009, 03:32 AM
how are they in comparison to a cbr250 in your opinion?

Difference you will notice straight away will be the cbr250 feels quicker due to its lighter and Rev's quicker. At first I thought the cbr will be better due to its smaller & lighter for a small person like myself but after a few weeks riding the zx2 I find its easier to control due to its weight don't know if that makes sense to you guys though.

Spoon DA9R
20-11-2009, 06:11 AM
yo perry..show us ur bike!

rpm boy
20-11-2009, 08:38 AM
95 model? Is that when it was complied

apparently its a 95 model??? had me a little confused as well but ill just have a look whats really going on when i go there on the weekend, wiki sais they were still selling VFR's till 96 so ill give the guy the benifit of the doubt........for now

Twincam16
20-11-2009, 12:35 PM
apparently its a 95 model??? had me a little confused as well but ill just have a look whats really going on when i go there on the weekend, wiki sais they were still selling VFR's till 96 so ill give the guy the benifit of the doubt........for now

Maybe he is referring to the compliance date, it should have a build date though which is completely separate. You havnt paid for it yet have you?

Aye guys watch out as well, because the Nigerian Scammers are at it again, and now they are even selling cbr & rvfs on some websites

Spoon DA9R
20-11-2009, 12:56 PM
lol one of my friend is selling his duke and got an email from them hahaha

rpm boy
20-11-2009, 01:14 PM
lol it was on bike sales, and i talked to him and he was as aussie as you can be so doubtful on the nigerian scam front, even so theres vfr's on car sales advertised as 97 models, so i dont know what tere on about but ill check it out when im up there.
as for the Lams thing, if you take the bike to a bike engineer and get him to put a sleve in it and retard it abit he can dyno it and sign off that it is legit and you can take it to the RTA and they will lams approve it. sound plausable ?

Spoon DA9R
20-11-2009, 01:18 PM
sounds good...can i do that to a 08 Ninja 6? haha

rpm boy
20-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Well my friend whose in sydney riders said there were 2 guys that had cbr600's and were lams approved... anything over 600ish cc is too big and you cant retard the engine and if u do it just blows up, so he is going to ask them exactly what they did

Spoon DA9R
20-11-2009, 01:42 PM
oic..yeah i was thinking if they do that to the engine to restrict it..it may end up damaging the engine in the long run...

rpm boy
20-11-2009, 02:57 PM
all depends, they do it to the hyosung 650 and its fine, but i wouldnt try it on nething bigger

Twincam16
20-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Rob I heard RTA instructed all registered engineering firms which certify for the RTA that they arent allowed to restrict/modify and re-register any motorbikes from a different CC for LAMS approval. So make sure you can do it by calling up some approved workshops (see RTA website for list) before you buy it.

Happened after RR motorcycles was selling CBR600/GSXR600's and getting them detuned and re-engineered. They never originally had approval from the RTA to do this (regardless of what he says) and all the poor pricks that bought these bikes off him had the RTA de-register and re-register their bikes without LAM approval.

rpm boy
23-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Got a link to the rta approved engineers?

bennjamin
23-11-2009, 08:14 AM
rob sounds like too much effort. just get a RVF400

rpm boy
23-11-2009, 10:01 AM
lol theres like none in sydney, theres one in crows nest for 3900 but there not replying emails so i gather its sold apart from that there too expensive

rpm boy
23-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Link for a learnal legal gsxr600
one of the ones u were talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEARNER-LEGAL-P-plate-legal-600cc_W0QQitemZ130346422619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_M otorcycles?hash=item1e5940915b

Twincam16
23-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Link for a learnal legal gsxr600
one of the ones u were talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEARNER-LEGAL-P-plate-legal-600cc_W0QQitemZ130346422619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_M otorcycles?hash=item1e5940915b

Police have been instructed to report any of these motorcycles which have this kind of registration to the RTA if they are ridden by learners. Rego gets cancelled.

Even if you dont get pulled over, when you need to ride it un-restricted it needs to have rego cancelled and re-done, thats after its re-tuned. RR was charging $2000 to have it done, and $1000 to have it undone. Now they are selling business...

Twincam16
23-11-2009, 12:05 PM
lol theres like none in sydney, theres one in crows nest for 3900 but there not replying emails so i gather its sold apart from that there too expensive

Nigerian Scammer

Email was from Pam Smith (pamsmith122@hotmail.com)

Was trying to get their bank/any details and pretended to be a sucker saying id send a deposit, but kept saying something about opening an eBay transfer.

Hello there,
I want to thank you for your email and interest in buying my Honda RVF400 RVF.The price of the bike is $3900 ,as listed.The bike is in perfect condition as it has been very well maintained (grage kept,properly maintained) has roadworthy certificate ... drives like a dream and is ready to be delivered,but I want to be sure that you are a serious buyer.I am not home right now (business to take care of in Europe) and if you want to purchase the bike and start the transaction as soon as possible,my wife can make all the delivery arrangements.For our security I want to make this transaction through eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program,which will protect both of us and also offers insurance about the deal,feedback or any dispute resolution.After eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program Team will approve our transaction,they will contact us with the eBay Invoice for Payment and Delivery Confirmation Request,needed to start the deal.If you decide to buy it and you are ready to start this deal,please reply me with your full shipping details,full name and delivery address and as soon as I will receive your reply,my wife can start the arrangements for the delivery.I am waiting for your shortly reply.
Thanks

Oh and the photos were from an eBay auction that happened about 3 months ago... dirty fkers

Spoon DA9R
23-11-2009, 12:30 PM
haha that scam reminded of a really funny one i read on netrider...

some guy said he is interested in BUYING so a guys bike..but he said something like " Hi I am looking at buying a gift for my brother-in-law and you bike is in such a good condition..blah blah blah"
and they will actually offer u few hundrew more than what you posted.

Funny thing is..some guy pointed out...this is funny..." the scammer should've been smarter...who the hell in their right mind will buy a gift for someone thats scrwing with the sister.." haha

some other ones are Navy guy..have not internet banking and request paypal only...

rpm boy
23-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Nigerian Scammer

Email was from Pam Smith (pamsmith122@hotmail.com)

Was trying to get their bank/any details and pretended to be a sucker saying id send a deposit, but kept saying something about opening an eBay transfer.

Oh and the photos were from an eBay auction that happened about 3 months ago... dirty fkers

Yeah in my google travels id noticed the pics were the same, and the price was like 5k in the ebay price so i was like WTF???
anyhoo might just pick up this ducati 400 and see if i like it, its gor 11k on the clock and is as stock as it was from the factory

rpm boy
24-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Who wants the number for the VFR400 for $3500? im not getting it and the guy is desperate to sell so let me know if anyone is intereted

Twincam16
25-11-2009, 12:09 AM
did you call rta rob?

rob1000
25-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Who wants the number for the VFR400 for $3500? im not getting it and the guy is desperate to sell so let me know if anyone is intereted

where's the vfr was that the one in crows nest? have you got a link to the ad with pics?

Cheers
Rob

rpm boy
25-11-2009, 07:56 AM
na, CBF calling the rta, my last car has sh!t itself on the weekend so i have no car and need a bike straight away so need a learnal legal :(

As for the VFR400, the guys name is Aaron and he works in the mines and never gets to use it, plus his Missus is pregnant so no use for it nemore
http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=2269921&keywords=&trecs=1&__Ns=p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_ String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal| 1&__sid=124B53CE3900&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201428%204294967259%2 04294965435&silo=1400
Just tell him rob put you onto it and he will let it got for 3500

rob1000
25-11-2009, 08:11 AM
na, CBF calling the rta, my last car has sh!t itself on the weekend so i have no car and need a bike straight away so need a learnal legal :(

As for the VFR400, the guys name is Aaron and he works in the mines and never gets to use it, plus his Missus is pregnant so no use for it nemore
http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=2269921&keywords=&trecs=1&__Ns=p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_ String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal| 1&__sid=124B53CE3900&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201428%204294967259%2 04294965435&silo=1400
Just tell him rob put you onto it and he will let it got for 3500

Ahh that ones been on bikesales for a while :) see if i can convince the wife i need it ;)

rpm boy
25-11-2009, 02:04 PM
well i can vouch that the guy is a nice bloke,deffinately not nigerian :p

Moey.C
05-12-2009, 01:29 AM
it took me 2 days but i finally caught up on all 39 fkn pages of this thread lmao!!!!

im joining the bike world :D

Twincam16
05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh yeaa
PM me when u find one

Moey.C
07-12-2009, 12:16 AM
george im probs gonna go with the cbr250rr... i kno krogoth wat u think of em and wat half of every1 else does... ffs i read the whole 39 pages lol

but its true.. fair enuf its not worth paying 5k for a stupid 20 yr old bike. but none the less they are getting sold and resale value wont fuk me 2 much... so this wat is pushing me 2wards them

btw i wouldnt pay more than 4k.. TOPS for 1. i agree that paying top dollar for 20 yr old crap is never worth it

Twincam16
07-12-2009, 01:19 AM
you can find a aussie delivered 98 model for prob 4k if u hunt around

bennjamin
07-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I've been told of recent that the rvf 400 is getting taken off the LAMS list in nsw.

Twincam16
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Ben I hope your sources arent reliable haha... who said?

nvmee
07-12-2009, 09:33 AM
i hope they do hahhaha i want one, and they cost too much atm because they are LAMS

Twincam16
07-12-2009, 01:01 PM
i hope they do hahhaha i want one, and they cost too much atm because they are LAMS

Would the value would drop that much?

1 - VFR's are selling for at least $4 grand
2 - RVF race only bikes are selling for at least $5k

...Neither have LAMS approval, but they are both valued less than a road RVF

So a road rego'd (non LAMS) RVF's will probably sell for $6-7 grand instead of $8

nvmee stop being a tightarse an buy an RVF already ;)

nvmee
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
i also want another 250rr ahhaha, its just a soft spot for these bikes haha. heard there are going to be new 250s that look better than the rr going for 7k. when everyone buys that ill be on the market for a 250rr and buying fairings exactly the same as my original one i had when i had my Ls/Ps

bennjamin
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Just a thought guys.

You may pay more for a cbr 250rr , but it maintains it's resale value and you will be able to sell it for a similar price. Don't be put off they are a decent little bike.

Twincam16
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Ben, whats the news on the LAMS with RVF's! im paranoid now... :p

Moey.C
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Just a thought guys.

You may pay more for a cbr 250rr , but it maintains it's resale value and you will be able to sell it for a similar price. Don't be put off they are a decent little bike.

this is 1 of my main reasons for getti n1 :)

Perry
09-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Got one for sale soon if anyone is interested.

LaZaZaL89
14-12-2009, 08:16 PM
was looking at cbr250rr's and just saw this http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=3136527&__sid=12572384C709&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=p_PriceSort_Decimal|0||p_Make_String|0||p_Mod el_String|0&keywords=&__N=1432%20604%201430%201429%201428%204294967259%2 04294967064%2080&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=37&silo=1400 bargain if it is legit... But at that price it looks kind of sus..

Twincam16
14-12-2009, 09:48 PM
that compliance plate looks sus

Perry
14-12-2009, 09:56 PM
wwow that is cheap.

Moey.C
14-12-2009, 10:20 PM
perry im lookin 2 buy 1... just not yet tho

Twincam16
15-12-2009, 09:40 AM
my gf looking for a bike now, she got her license 6 mths ago, needs a bike to do her ps. Maybe get a cbr

krogoth
15-12-2009, 10:09 AM
that cbr is so cheap...

Perry
15-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Too cheap I must say could be legit.

Twincam16
15-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Just called its sold

Moey.C
19-12-2009, 02:41 PM
aye guys im about 2 start bikke shopping as i just sold my car 2 days ago...

wat do i look for in a bike. n what do i ask ? very new 2 bike world lol

rpm boy
20-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Look for scrapes and signs of damage from dropping the bike, if possible take the engine bolt off and see if the frame is still in line with the engine after u take it out, Tyres are expensive so get one with good tyres, make sure it's reving freeley and dosnt have flat spots(spark plugs)

rpm boy
20-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh and I just bought a cbr250 for 1k... Needs plugs but still rides :)

Twincam16
20-12-2009, 10:01 PM
pwoar thats cheap

we are shoppin for one of these at the moment

http://site.razorsedgemotorsports.com/Pierspeed/madass-500.jpg

rpm boy
21-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah seen heaps of them in the city, anyone got a diy cbr250 service thread?

Perry
21-12-2009, 11:04 AM
aye guys im about 2 start bikke shopping as i just sold my car 2 days ago...

wat do i look for in a bike. n what do i ask ? very new 2 bike world lol

Got 2 bikes for sale at the moment PM me if your interested.

robeel
29-12-2009, 11:24 AM
whats up with the RVF 400 getting taken off LAMS???

dont want to buy one & lose a lot of cash or have to sell it to buy a smaller bike. that would be bullshit! they should at least give a warning.

rpm boy
02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Just buy a cbr250 and work it... Fast enough IMO

bennjamin
02-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Just buy a cbr250 and work it... Fast enough IMO

agree. Its very chuckable into corners and around cars , and dropa few gears and you rev up make noise and go pretty fast.
ideal for commuting IMO and the L + P periods.

dna4
25-04-2010, 01:08 PM
HI all,

I just got my L license and wanting to get the decent learner bike which I commute to work daily for arround 25kms each way.

Looking for the options , I am tossing up between :

Hyo 250gt - cheaper / looks good / not sure about the history of its realiability

CBR 125r - cheap petrol consumption / fairing / easy to manouver / its honda so I assumed it wont have reliability issue and good value

VTR250 - love this one , pretty much the same like hyo but its honda. The only things the asking price normally above my budget $5000 with high Kms. I couldnt find it widely available.

Can anyone share what is the market price for the vtr 250 ? how much do you think the rego and/or insurance price?

Does anyone have personal experience on this bike ?

Thx guys.

bennjamin
25-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Vtr 250 is a nice looking commuter - around 3-4k seems the norm. Get one and put a muffler the v twin is nice avoid a cbr250r or rr , loud overrated old overpriced bikes !

dna4
25-04-2010, 08:38 PM
It's very hard to found the decent vtr250 for under $4000.

Do you know the 2nd hand dealer who kept the vtr?

Actually I found one ads in gumtree wanna sell unregistered black vtr for $2600,what do u reckon?

krogoth
26-04-2010, 10:05 AM
well, why is it unregistered?

dna4
26-04-2010, 09:22 PM
He said that didn't have the time to ride anymore so he left the bike unregistered.

My gut feeling that something wrong with the bike.

Twincam16
27-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Depends how long ago rego ran out...

Dont buy the first bike you see, and dont buy a bike you cant try out by riding

Also dont get a Hyosung unless its an EFI, a lot of older problems were rectified when EFI model was released recently

JohnO
27-04-2010, 05:31 PM
hey guys what do you think of the kawas 250r's ? since its a honda forum it probably should be like a cb400 or 250cbr/rr. budget isnt really a problem getting a bike towards end of the year still saving for it all, just what strikes me is that for a 2010 model the speedo isnt electric like the zx6r or zx10r or any other new bike. Ive test ridden my mates cb250rr felt tighter and a ninja and it feels so much more relaxed. It will be a daily ride to unsw

Twincam16
28-04-2010, 03:08 PM
hey guys what do you think of the kawas 250r's ? since its a honda forum it probably should be like a cb400 or 250cbr/rr. budget isnt really a problem getting a bike towards end of the year still saving for it all, just what strikes me is that for a 2010 model the speedo isnt electric like the zx6r or zx10r or any other new bike. Ive test ridden my mates cb250rr felt tighter and a ninja and it feels so much more relaxed. It will be a daily ride to unsw

The Ninja 250r is basically an ex250 (20 year old bike) with new panels, thats about it... I wouldnt pay the extra money for it, id go and get a cheap 250 if for a short while or a 400 if planning on keeping it longer and going with that until fulls. Its plus is that it is lighter, probably easier on the arse and good on fuel. Downside is it wont get you away from danger as quick as you'd like it to, as its just a nugget. Oh and ive heard simply dropping it may cause a write off...

Only small capacity bike ive seen with a digital display is the Aprilia RS125, remember these only started coming out this century and most learner bikes are incarnations of pre 90's models...

Im guessing you're after a sports ride

dna4
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Depends how long ago rego ran out...

Dont buy the first bike you see, and dont buy a bike you cant try out by riding

Also dont get a Hyosung unless its an EFI, a lot of older problems were rectified when EFI model was released recently

How the EFI work in the hyo bike?

I also noticed that you can get the 650gt under LAM, providing it was restricted.how can i tell if the bike had been derestricted?

Pricewise between 250 and 650 is very minimal so it might be more sensible to get the 650, any thought ?

Ta

chihuu
03-05-2010, 01:54 AM
How the EFI work in the hyo bike?

I also noticed that you can get the 650gt under LAM, providing it was restricted.how can i tell if the bike had been derestricted?

Pricewise between 250 and 650 is very minimal so it might be more sensible to get the 650, any thought ?

Ta

i say get the 600 ride around slow till u get the hang of it then u can ride normal just dont be dumb on the 600 then u should be fine, also another thing when u use to your bike dont try to be hero and u should be find i regret buying a 250 T_T so hard to sell lol.... as long as your in leather =D

dna4
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
i say get the 600 ride around slow till u get the hang of it then u can ride normal just dont be dumb on the 600 then u should be fine, also another thing when u use to your bike dont try to be hero and u should be find i regret buying a 250 T_T so hard to sell lol.... as long as your in leather =D

what bike do you ride? hyo 250?