PDA

View Full Version : ** LAMS / Learners Bike Discussion **

Pages : [1] 2 3

LaZaZaL89
30-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I know a lot of people who dont currently own bikes such as myself, will be glad to see the bike section put up so they can ask questions. The first question I have, that im sure many people would be interested in, is what bike you think would best suit the needs of a learner rider and why... Not just, a "cbr250rr cuz dey look fuly sik". Price wise I doubt I would want to spend over 6,000 on my first bike, so anything under that would be great! :wave:

krogoth
30-07-2008, 08:54 PM
lol, we made a thread at almost the same time

LaZaZaL89
30-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Hahahah, 7 mins too late :)

hisoka
30-07-2008, 09:15 PM
i think the new yamaha is coming out at about 7 grand~its a 125cc and looks good. if i were you i would spend my money on a 600 cc bike

http://img.moto22.com/galleries/yamaha-yzf-r125-2008/normal_yamaha-yzf-r125_2008_21.jpg

LaZaZaL89
30-07-2008, 09:16 PM
The only problem I find with buying a new bike for your learners is that it feels like such a waste of money, especially if you drop it and then go to sell it one year later.

hisoka
30-07-2008, 09:19 PM
yer thats probably why i would just get a 600cc bike lol~

is that a c west front on your dA

incoming
30-07-2008, 09:36 PM
i've ridden cibbys, ninjas and spadas
out of the 3 cbr is the better

spada's arent too responsive and feels flimsy.
ninja stance seems too low for my liking.
CBR weight feels good and solid. responsive. plus it looks better lol

nvmee
30-07-2008, 10:19 PM
ahh spadas sound awesome :D i read somewhere the new yammie 125 is based on the m1 technology in terms of framework

EKVTIR-T
30-07-2008, 10:25 PM
spadas do sound horny

one of my favourite sounding vtr250
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBycoeFuIQ

Zdster
31-07-2008, 09:15 AM
I wouldnt get a 125cc.

Personally I would forget about looks. The best bet IMO is to find a naked or semi-naked. You should also consider seating position and the power band.

timizkool
31-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I dont think the yammie 125 is not coming to oz. Anyways 7000 on a 4-stroke 125 is a waste of money

Mrrevolution
31-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Best bike for around 6k budget for a learner would defenetly have to be.
Honda RVF400, got lots of power excellent handling balance and brakes.

I race a VFR400 on the track and when i go past 600cc bikes its just a awesome
feeling. The VFR400 and RVF400 are soo chuckable and handle like very few bikes ive ridden. Take one for a spin and youll realise how much fun they are.

gumbs
31-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Best bike for around 6k budget for a learner would defenetly have to be.
Honda RVF400, got lots of power excellent handling balance and brakes.

I race a VFR400 on the track and when i go past 600cc bikes its just a awesome
feeling. The VFR400 and RVF400 are soo chuckable and handle like very few bikes ive ridden. Take one for a spin and youll realise how much fun they are.

And they so shouldn't be learner legal, not to mention they are old as and over priced. Not saying I wouldn't take one as a track bike given the chance.

The best learners are nakeds and dirt bikes. Buy something you can afford to drop. And dont buy anything smaller than a 250 and try and avoid the aircooled singles as well. Anything less will leave you bored in a month.

nvmee
31-07-2008, 04:22 PM
rvf400s are nice bikes, but damn i would never EVEr commute in that. Its back breaking, the stance that is. IMO its hard to drop a bike, and when you do its something stupid. normally the more stupid u are the more likely ur gona drop/ have an accident. gpx is a good learner bike ... vtwin ftw !

honki3rider
31-07-2008, 07:28 PM
if i were to redo my restriction period again i'd choose either a vtr250 or a cbr250.
good fun.

[HIREVZ]
01-08-2008, 02:18 AM
rvf400 is legal vfr400 isnt i dunno why, i think the rvf has a couple less kilowatts maybe but still.. weird. there both damn sexy bikes however single swing arm ftw!

iv been wanting to get my bike learners for like 6months now but never have time tho

been lookin around for a kawasaki zx2r imho these r so much better then cbr250r cause they look heaps fatter lol.

i learned to ride on a zzr250 god damn these r slow. dunno why neone would buy one when my nugget celica is quicker. lol iv even given my mate a headstart and i still chop him LOL

Zdster
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I have said it 1000 times, in a learner bike forget looks and power. For heavens sake, learning how to ride should be your number one priority, with looking cool a very very distant second.

Zilli
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
rvf is restricted, vfr isnt, thats the difference, but you can deristrict the rvf anyway, so theres no difference

FASN8U
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I have said it 1000 times, in a learner bike forget looks and power. For heavens sake, learning how to ride should be your number one priority, with looking cool a very very distant second.

very good point
cant look cool on any learner legal bike lol

nvmee
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
well personally I bought a nice bike. paid 5k for it, learning on it was easy. things such as the u turns and stuff arent. i passed my Ps first go, it took alot of persistence and patience but it was possible. It just takes some time and dedication needed so that you can learn the characteristics of the bike and what it does. Sure buying a 250 and riding it might be really " in your face"in the first 2 weeks, because the learning curve is very high due to its power, turning circle, weight distribution etc. Learning a bike isnt hard, pretty much it comes down to, the faster your going the harder you fall aka the mroe dickhead you are on the road the more risk you put yourself in.

Some of my mates have stacked it a few times, they ask me why. I set them straight and saying because you ride like you want to die. people who dont buffer, look through turns, speed through cars/roundabouts are askign for death. its not only the bike its the person who rides it as well.

mp-
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
wat about the hyosung 250s n 600s? im planning on getting one of those for Ls, but not sure if i should or not

eight
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
anyone know how the aprilia rs125's compare?

Redlinemotorsport
01-08-2008, 10:15 PM
im gonna come at this a totally different way.
for the first bike you want a shit heap.
because u WILL drop it,
and the faster you go the more chance u have of dying.

so for the first year you should by a shit bike,
ride it round,
learn the way of the world and then buy a cbr600;)

jeremyweb
02-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda CBR250rr i think,you can pick one up for the 5k mark.Good all round.
]Then sell her after a year.
CBR125r looks good but is underpowered,especially if you are say 90kg,and not very good for someone who has motorcyle experiece,i race motorcross,and NSW sprint series and road my mates and nearly stacked it as those skinny tyres dont like to be pushed.
It all depends on who you are.Heavy,and someone who has experience go a cbr250rr or ninja(dont buy new)
-Light or dead cold learner,vtr250,Cbr125.
thats my two cents anyway.

lam.666
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
best practical 250 to get would be the VTR250 in NSW, doesnt look too bad, if you drop it no fairings to break, great on fuel and rego is sweet too, good resale value too like the cbr's. dont get an rvf400 because it looks horn, they are a nice bike, but rego'ing the thing is the same price as a 600cc not worth it in my opinion close to 1g, save yourself $500 and invest in some good gear.

also servicing the vfr/rvf 400's cost a bit, the plugs are quite rare and need some special tool to remove them, looking at about $15 a plug, and i dont think their iridium from memory.

i myself ride a NSR250, its light, has power and makes alot of noise so dick head drivers can hear you and not lane change in to you

also note, in NSW you can ride in bus lanes what ever the time and lane split whilst traffic is stationary.

safe riding!

nvmee
02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
i commute 50km one way daily, so i do 100kms of riding a day. I lane split in the city, on the M5 i just use the emergency lane lol ! peak hour traffic sux, pass at least 1 or 2 cops a day and they dont say anything. But i guess emergency lane is better than lane splitting in m5. i hope they understand that

oh nsr 250? nice ive only ever seen the nsr150 and they are annoying :P wonder what the nsr 250 sounds like

AKILYA666
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
IMO honda cbr250rr. bought a grey import a while back and it was a good bike to learn on. a little on the low side but a good bike to learn on.... but yeah like everyone say's within 6 months you'll be looking at upgrading to a 600...

Zdster
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
wat about the hyosung 250s n 600s? im planning on getting one of those for Ls, but not sure if i should or not

The Hyo's arent bad, but have a search around the internet as there are some horror stories. One of the members on here has one though and is happy (cant remember who it is/was).

anyone know how the aprilia rs125's compare?

I would stay away from these (and especially the 250 which isnt being made anymore and is illegal in most states).

best practical 250 to get would be the VTR250 in NSW, doesnt look too bad, if you drop it no fairings to break, great on fuel and rego is sweet too, good resale value too like the cbr's.

I agree 100%. Great learner bike.

lam.666
04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
traffic on the m5 in the morning is a horror, especially when ppl quickly change lanes when a vehicle is too slow moving up

if you find the nsr150 annoying my bike would be 2 times as bad once i get my other motor sorted, but its probably just as loud. i still have stock chambers and running a closed airbox

aprilia rs125/250's arent too bad, they look quite nice, not sure on how parts are like but they would be easily more attainable than a nsr250 as they share similiar motors to the rgv, 2 strokes arent too bad to work on if your handy with a spanner too, no cams to work with if you need to pull it apart, in the twisties the 250 would be able to keep up with a 600 or 1000 if the rider knows what their doing. only time those bikes would get away is on the straights

recommend going to track days too, safer than the street, no cars, no mountains to fall off, trees to hit, oran park has ride days ranging from $90+ (never been to oran park tho) but its not far considering its only in campbelltown area and cheaper than EC which costs around $250

Zdster
04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
aprilia rs125/250's arent too bad, they look quite nice, not sure on how parts are like but they would be easily more attainable than a nsr250 as they share similiar motors to the rgv, 2 strokes arent too bad to work on if your handy with a spanner too, not cams to work with if you need to pull it apart, in the twisties the 250 would be able to keep up with a 600 or 1000 if the rider knows what their doing. only time those bikes would get away is on the straights

Have you ridden either of these. Definetly not bikes I would recommend for a learner.

I love people who say you should buy this bike as a learner because it is the fastest or you should buy this bike as a learner because you will be able to overtake someone if you ride in the mountains. How about you should buy this bike as a learner as you will gain a lot of skills without putting yourself in as much danger as if you got a bike with a ridiculous power curve, it is not as difficult to ride, if something does go wrong it wont cost you the earth to fix and is generally a good LEARNER BIKE.

hisoka
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
agreee with zdster , 2 strokes can be quite overwhelming to a learner~stick to 4 stroke 250 cc. cibby 250 i reccomend

jeremyweb
04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Have you ridden either of these. Definetly not bikes I would recommend for a learner.

I love people who say you should buy this bike as a learner because it is the fastest or you should buy this bike as a learner because you will be able to overtake someone if you ride in the mountains. How about you should buy this bike as a learner as you will gain a lot of skills without putting yourself in as much danger as if you got a bike with a ridiculous power curve, it is not as difficult to ride, if something does go wrong it wont cost you the earth to fix and is generally a good LEARNER BIKE.

Right on the money.For a strict learner with no experience u should be looking at cbr125r's,xr400,cb250f,vtr250r etc.
If you have motorcycle excperience,and are a "novice" i would suggest a cbr250rr or the like.I would avoid the 2stroke nsr's simply because on the road i see no use for a 2stroke power band,the 4strokes have a more linear power delivery generally but more importantly a healthy dose of torque.

lam.666
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
i just LOVE ppl that dont think before they post so theres no need to be such a knob, i was not saying that it was a good bike to learn on, i was just talking bout the bikes in general, you said not to get it with out a reason, if you hadnt already noticed i recommended the VTR250, my post might have been a bit biased towards 2strokes, only because i ride one, but no where in my post did i say to get them cos they were fast.

on your L's the rs125 and nsr150 are LAM approved motorbikes, which would be equivalent to a cbr/fzr/zxr 250, i've never ridden either, but my friend had said that the nsr150 was not as good as his zx2r, and another person i know also learnt on the rs125, their not bikes i would recommend either

safety first though, get a LAMs approved motorcycle your comfortable with riding which is easy for you to control, learn how to brake properly, take corners, u turns, slow riding, buffer zones, being aware of vehicles around you, what ever they test you in the course as all that stuff matters out on the road

jeremyweb
04-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Just because the bike is LAM approved has nothing to do with wether or not it is safe or not.Politicians get these lists put together after all,so just because it is on the list doesn't make is safe or even controllable,CRF450x for example or ktm EXC's can be a handful to the inexperienced.
2 Strokes are great,used to race a cr125r loved the power band.However modern day 4strokes such as the crf250r are superior,hence why 2strokes are becoming obselete,even gradually in fmx ,as 4 stroke technology improves.
2 strokes are a less ideal application for road bikes,unless racing,as 2stroke motors are not efficient and maintatin constant velocity,they werent made for that,and as such suffer when trying to do this.This is not say that they cant,but simply they arent ideal,.
Even in road racing 2 strokes have become obselete.

This is factual.But beside the point are we making a list or are we arguing 2stroke vs 4stroke,The discussion has gone of topic a little :wave:

lam.666
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
yes it has, though i think the gearing on a road 2 stroke will be set up differently to a dirt 2 stroke, though i've never ridden either so i cant say for sure, and yes they are becoming obselete even in boating.

pollies dont know squat about bikes, most of them dont even ride. L's P's have no choice but to ride whats been listed.

back on topic, i find that the zx2r was heavy compared to the 250rr, so if your short and skinny you may find it hard to control like i did, but they have a better top end than the 250rr. the fzr250 i would say would be equivalent to the 250rr both ride the same and similiar in power delivery and top end speed.

Feverpitched
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Technically speaking, a big fat Harley can be registered as LAMS.

To stress the point already made, buy a shit heap bike that you can drop/lay down without crying too much about it. Believe me, it is a matter of when, and not if, it ever happens. Therefore, get a scuffed up faired bike that is common (so parts won't be a hassle) or go naked.

Some models I'd recommend a learner which aren't priced through the arse on the private resale markets are:

CBR (shop around, there are too many jokers around with stupid ideas of what their bike is worth, uleh)
FZR (lesser known, hence cheaper)
ZX2R (refer to CBR, but are much rarer)
Across (heavier, tiny fuel tank but very common. Also has a boot, so you can store your man bag in there when not in use)

Suzuki Bandits
Yamaha Zeal
Honda VT250 (spada)
Honda VTR250 (they hold value real well, so consider it an investment. Try and find a model with a tacho)

Zdster
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Some models I'd recommend a learner which aren't priced through the arse on the private resale markets are:

CBR (shop around, there are too many jokers around with stupid ideas of what their bike is worth, uleh)
FZR (lesser known, hence cheaper)
ZX2R (refer to CBR, but are much rarer)
Across (heavier, tiny fuel tank but very common. Also has a boot, so you can store your man bag in there when not in use)

Suzuki Bandits
Yamaha Zeal
Honda VT250 (spada)
Honda VTR250 (they hold value real well, so consider it an investment. Try and find a model with a tacho)

Good list although I would probably knock of the CBR (due to some people trying to sell a 20 year old bike for $8k and the hassle of trying to find a good one amongst lots of bad) and maybe the FZR (I might be confusing models but I thought that this had quite a sharp power band?).

The only other bike I would add to the above would be a GPX/Z, particularly if you are not overtly concerned with styling (personally I dont think it looks to bad, but some disagree).

Feverpitched
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Good point, completely forgot about the two bulletproof Kwakas. My very first bike was a ratty GPX and that did reasonably fine for a $1000 bike.

You might be referring to the ZX2R? They're said to have a bit of a power spike high in the rev range. My FZR was very smooth throughout the range, possibly due largely to the EXUP valve.

With CBR's you can find well used ones around for a good price, as long as you don't insist on a RRRRRRRRR and settle for a single R.

Zdster
05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
You might be referring to the ZX2R? They're said to have a bit of a power spike high in the rev range. My FZR was very smooth throughout the range, possibly due largely to the EXUP valve.

I thought the power band was similar to the RGV250?

The GPX's are pretty bulletproof little bikes, with a good seating position etc. A good all around learner bike.

absolutR
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
aprilia rs125, amazing, enormous for a 125, unreal

nvmee
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
gpx seat position is the gay when cornering but lovely for touring. yeh it took me 3 months to buy a cbr250rr lols, i ended up paying 5k for my mates one :D

krogoth
05-08-2008, 06:21 PM
aprilia rs125, amazing, enormous for a 125, unreal

unreal 10k, fk that, lol

Feverpitched
05-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Damn. I saw a brand spanking new RS125 for 2,999 quid here in the UK... That's roughly 6,000k Aussie!

I don't think any of the 4 strokers have a powerband anything quite like a 2 smoker, especially in the 250cc field. If I'm in the right rev range on the TZR out of the second corner, an early model zx6r only *just* pulls away from me on the the back straight at the Broadford track. Try that on a 4 stroker 250!

FASN8U
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
yes but you cant compare 250 stroke to a 250 four stroke. no sh1t the stroke will be quicker but will need more maintanence. comparing 125cc stroke to a 250cc four stroke is fair comparison where in that case the 250 generaly has more power and less maintanence

Type R Positive
06-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Ok, what are you going to do for the second week, after you've learned to ride on the first week?

Type R Positive
06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Dirtbikes are a piece of piss to learn on. A 250f with motard wheels would be nice!
450f's are easier to ride stock, because of the smooth power and extra torque.
The missus preferred riding my 450f over her 250f when she was learning to ride.

What's the capacity limit for NSW? Anyone got a list of bikes?

Zdster
06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Ok, what are you going to do for the second week, after you've learned to ride on the first week?

So you think you will have learnt everything you ever need to know about riding a bike in a week (or even a year) do you?

That is one of the exact reasons that I dont ride in a group with people I dont know :o :zip:.

nvmee
06-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeh I kinda agree with Zdster, I do ride with strangers, providing I stay at the end of the pack. Im just a more responsible/controlled more than everyone else out there. In saying that you will NEVER EVER learn everything you need to know about riding in even 10 years. Theres always something new everyday for me. I commute everyday, learning how cars react, behave and sometimes wonder to myself WAT THE **** ARE DRIVERS DOING. I intentionally rode in the rain today with my onepc rain suit + captain safety vest to see how i react to things in the rain, turn in the rain and see how cars will react when i travel on the hwy with my vest+ suit on.

No one here is a perfect rider, no one in the world is a perfect rider. even the gp and the wsb riders. Everyone rides differently, and does things differently and reacts differently in different sitautions. For example, Rossi rides very smoothly with the throttle and brakes going into and around bends, whereas stoner rides, brakes late/deep/corrects his line and then CRACK full throttle halfway into the bend. i cringe everytime i see that :S

gumbs
06-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Technically speaking, a big fat Harley can be registered as LAMS.

There's only one model of Harley that is LAMS legal and thats only on the older system used in ACT I don't think they're using that system in melbourne. The new system has a 660cc capacity limit.

I don't think any of the race reps are a good idea as a learner bike, they're bloody cramped have a bad set up for day to day riding and are less forgiving.

dsp26
06-08-2008, 01:14 PM

i agree with Zdster dude.. very poor "hero attitude" very common to this day with hoon P-platers on road cars.

just because you can drive/ride doesn't mean you can... theres so many aspects on top of actual road rules to a license...

take driving a rwd for example.. sure you can get on your Ps but i can guarantee 100% of new drivers do not know what to do when the rear breaks traction.. they'll slam use brakes coz thats what you do on the car you learn on (fwd)... but that'll swing out the rear more.

look at e240's example on when he flipped... the next time around he knew instinctively how to get around it....

if you keep driving the same route with the same style then you've learned nothing... learning is about being able to adapt to every scenario and situation and variation and deviation... thats where "experience" actually applies... ynless you have super-reflexes.. you won't know how to counter a situation unless you've actually been through it...

nvmee
06-08-2008, 03:25 PM
agreed there, if you havent been in the situation your most likely gona do the wrong thing, chasing others who have much more skill level that you is dangerous. I remember on my Ls, I chased another L player only to almost get screwed by a big left and a quick right, good thing i was going slower. I hit the braked and panicked, didnt hit anything but it scared the shit out of me. One advice is when you panic its best to accelerate and look where you wana go

dsp26
06-08-2008, 08:34 PM
agreed there, if you havent been in the situation your most likely gona do the wrong thing, chasing others who have much more skill level that you is dangerous. I remember on my Ls, I chased another L player only to almost get screwed by a big left and a quick right, good thing i was going slower. I hit the braked and panicked, didnt hit anything but it scared the shit out of me. One advice is when you panic its best to accelerate and look where you wana go

that is so true!! was listening to an Anthony Robbins cd once... he said the same thing when he was going on race track training.. even the instructor said it...

"Always look at where you need to be" coz you will always end up where your looking.... and then i also see fully hectic written off cars hitting a light pole... explains a lot huh?

S2kane
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda CB400 vtec

I borrowed one from work this week and was very impressed.

Build quality etc.. better than anything else out there.

dsp26
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda CB400 vtec

I borrowed one from work this week and was very impressed.

Build quality etc.. better than anything else out there.

more specific?

can't possibly be recommending a bike for learners because you drove one at work and was impressed...

S2kane
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
more specific?

can't possibly be recommending a bike for learners because you drove one at work and was impressed...

;) sure i can !

Anyway... to be more specific.

Compared to any of the 250's avail its a lot more stable, better on the freeway and in the wet as well.

Low seat makes it easy to chuck around corners.. good riding position

Vtec engine.. one of smoothest engine I've ever sampled + good power sounds nice.

ABS brakes.. I'd pay the extra money for this option as it works so good.

I just wish we got the Bol D'Or version as well but i would have pushed the price up too much.

shebangs
11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I used to have a CBR250RR as my learner bike. I loved it. Loud noisy but it's not until you've owned it for 2 months that you realize it's fkn slow. And makes too much noise for the speed you're actually going.

For a learning bike you are really only looking for one thing. RESALE. Buy a bike others want. I bought mine (black) for $5500 I think. When I sold it 6 months later, TeamMoto came to my place without a few hours of it being up on bikesales for $5900. Obviously they snap up all the good condition (specially black!) cbr250rr's to sell them at their premium.

D4rk4n63l
11-08-2008, 02:25 PM
what do people think about the Ninja 250R?
I've heard nothing but great stuff about it.. and resale value seems good too

can get a new one for around $7200-7400 (about 2 months wait) and saw a few secondhands sold for more than $7500 (some people just can't wait)

Feverpitched
11-08-2008, 02:46 PM
My opinion, don't buy new. You're basically getting a GPX/ZZR with new plastics attached. Essentially the same parallel twin motor thats been used in the GPX/ZZR since time memorial.

If you haven't grasped the gist of the advice given then I'll say it out again. Buy second hand, buy something old yet reliable, and buy something that you won't mind laying on its side. Learn to ride for a year or so, and then palm it off to the next learner. It's a cycle that should benefit everyone...

Zdster
11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
My opinion, don't buy new. You're basically getting a GPX/ZZR with new plastics attached. Essentially the same parallel twin motor thats been used in the GPX/ZZR since time memorial.

If you haven't grasped the gist of the advice given then I'll say it out again. Buy second hand, buy something old yet reliable, and buy something that you won't mind laying on its side. Learn to ride for a year or so, and then palm it off to the next learner. It's a cycle that should benefit everyone...

Agree 10000000000000000000%.

Feverpitched
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
So you think you will have learnt everything you ever need to know about riding a bike in a week (or even a year) do you?

ROFL amen.

Feverpitched
11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
"Always look at where you need to be" coz you will always end up where your looking.... and then i also see fully hectic written off cars hitting a light pole... explains a lot huh?

It's given a technical name in the MC world - Target Fixation. Happens all the time on motorcycles, and to a lesser extent in cars (when you're out of control in a car it doesn't matter where you look).

Always look through a corner.

laijer
11-08-2008, 10:42 PM
If I could go back in time, I'd get a VTR250 as a learners bike and then upgrade to a 750 before my son was born. Now I am stuck with an NSR250 that has a rebuilt motor sitting on the workbench and a Mrs that wont let me put it back in the frame. I fell in love with the NSR and kept it way past my P's when I should have sold it and gone for more cc's.

Sorry, but I generally tend to disagree with those of you who recommend getting a POS as a 1st bike. No learner wants the frustration of having their bike spending more time in the workshop than on the road (unless you're pretty handy with a spanner). I'd recommend newbs getting a used but fairly new model bike that has decent performance/handling/braking with a good resale value (like say a VTR250 :p).

But, depending on your body size/height, you may be limited in the choice of bike that suits you. For example, some bikes have a very high ride hieght and you might not be tall enough to plant both feet on the ground when you are stationary or if you are too tall, some sport/race seat positioned bikes may be too cramped and you might find your knees touching you ear lobes (ok a bit exaggerated, but you get my point).

And make sure you get the right gear! Don't get me started on helmet selection :D
Rant over... for now

Feverpitched
12-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Laijer, I agree with you with the VTR250, but nowhere did we say "get a garage queen". A bike that runs is a bike that runs.

If you ever need "persuasion" to get that motor back in the frame, drop me a line :)

laijer
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Fair enough. We'll agree that cheap and reliable are best :)

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it... oh in about a year or 2 when my wife's overprotective motherley feelings are not so intense. We've just had a baby boy and the Mrs has banned me from putting the bike back together unless it's to sell it - No way Jose!

johnnythehondaman
12-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Best learner legal bike is Honda CBR125R

looks like a CBR600RR and 14HP and 140KM/h Top speed

I love it so much and go ahead and brought one to learn and commute on.

$4200 ride-away on the road i pay, with helmet and gloves.

best bike!

krogoth
12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
^140km/h??

lol

id like to see that happen...

maybe som1 light could get it up to 120, but any1 heavy would have trouble going over 100..

imo, it doesnt look anything like a cbr600, lol

its like 1/4 of the size

but i agree with u, excellent learners bike

easy to use, cant make too many mistakes with it, cheap and reliable

wat more could u want

Zdster
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
^140km/h??

lol

id like to see that happen...

maybe som1 light could get it up to 120, but any1 heavy would have trouble going over 100..

imo, it doesnt look anything like a cbr600, lol

its like 1/4 of the size

but i agree with u, excellent learners bike

easy to use, cant make too many mistakes with it, cheap and reliable

wat more could u want

As I said before I wouldnt go to a 125cc for a couple of reasons. Firstly it is not a very large bike (means you get blown around more, plus while handling can be better makes it a big jump when you upgrade to a 600cc) and the second reason is power (while I am not advocating that you need a large bike, there is a heck of an upgrade eg from a 125cc-600cc compared to less of a jump between a 250-600).

krogoth
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
^yeh ur right

but personally, i dont know how ppl can spend 5-7k on a 2000 year old cbr

the best choice in the end is to go for a new vtr250 or something

u can get one new for around 7k

Zdster
13-08-2008, 10:42 AM
^yeh ur right

but personally, i dont know how ppl can spend 5-7k on a 2000 year old cbr

the best choice in the end is to go for a new vtr250 or something

u can get one new for around 7k

I think even better is to avoid new. I know lots of people think that they avoid problems if they get a new bike etc, but considering you only hold a learner bike for a year you are much better off getting a good condition bike that is not to old. Vtr250 = good choice though :thumbsup:

Feverpitched
13-08-2008, 01:47 PM
And new doesn't necessarily mean it won't break down. The name Hyosung just springs to mind for some strange reason.

lam.666
13-08-2008, 02:28 PM
should change this in to get the VTR250 bike thread, its been recommended so many times, never ridden one myself but from what i heard there a great bike to start out on, and have an EXCELLENT resale value!

S2kane
13-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree.. And when it does break down good luck with getting parts for them.

Thats why a Honda would be the best option.

CBR125 - VTR250 - CB400 - would be a good order to follow.

S2kane
13-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah VTR's are really good bikes.. Honda does Moriwaki Titanium exhausts for them and the CB400's as well.. that would sound awesome.

Zdster
13-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree.. And when it does break down good luck with getting parts for them.

Thats why a Honda would be the best option.

CBR125 - VTR250 - CB400 - would be a good order to follow.

Getting parts for the CBR125 wouldnt be cheap either as there cant be many on the second hand/scrap market yet.

I still think the GPX/Z are great learner bikes as well as an alternative to the VTR.

S2kane
13-08-2008, 03:53 PM
New parts from Honda are very cheap for the CBR125.
I wouldn't be concerned about that.

For example a crank shaft for the 125 is a quater of the price of a CBR250RR's.

Also the CBR125 was one of highest selling road bikes last year so there
Wont be any issues with used parts in the future.

CL455
18-08-2008, 03:07 PM
i've had a cbr250r and wasn't very much of a good learning bike....

after that i got a aprilia rs125 and i will say it's a very nice bike to ride - not very idle happy as its a 2 stroke but it's very forgiving in corners and you can learn alot by riding one about bikes in general.. (well for me anyways)

but you can't go past a honda :)

Zdster
18-08-2008, 03:23 PM
i've had a cbr250r and wasn't very much of a good learning bike....

but you can't go past a honda :)

-_- . . .

CL455
18-08-2008, 03:26 PM
LOL - i should say the cbr250r isn't a good bike but the others arn't to bad... eg... 250RR's and the VTR ....

but i wouldn't recommend the single R

Jomsy
18-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Get some cheap ass nugget like a cb250 or GSX250 , peddle it round for a year then spend the money on a r6/r1 etc,,

seriously 6k for a cbr250 wtf , you can get an R1 for that

preludacris
18-08-2008, 07:06 PM
i've heard cbr125r's are perfect learner bikes also. cbr250rr is a lil heavy and hardcore when u first get on a bike, can be a lil intimidating.

Feverpitched
18-08-2008, 08:35 PM
LOL - i should say the cbr250r isn't a good bike but the others arn't to bad... eg... 250RR's and the VTR ....

but i wouldn't recommend the single R

Why not?

Feverpitched
18-08-2008, 08:36 PM
New parts from Honda are very cheap for the CBR125.
I wouldn't be concerned about that.

For example a crank shaft for the 125 is a quater of the price of a CBR250RR's.

Also the CBR125 was one of highest selling road bikes last year so there
Wont be any issues with used parts in the future.

They're still made to a budget and designed for the back streets of Thailand, not the open roads of Australia.

The NSR150's sold pretty well for a while too, and look where they ended up.

Feverpitched
18-08-2008, 08:37 PM
i've heard cbr125r's are perfect learner bikes also. cbr250rr is a lil heavy and hardcore when u first get on a bike, can be a lil intimidating.

If you find the weight of a 250 intimidating then methinks you should stick to the pushie.

CL455
19-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Why not?

i just feel for the price of picking up a single R u might as well spend the extra cash and pick up a RR....

i just had a bad experience with my single R ... and shoulda picked up a RR for the price... that's my reason...

Feverpitched
19-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Single R's are said to have 5hp more than the RR's, be marginally lighter, have only one front brake disc and have a more upright seating position. However the differences are really negligable.

If you find a good R for a decent price, and let's face it, being a single R in itself is a great bargaining advantage for the purchaser, then it'd be as good a learner's bike as a RR.

nvmee
19-08-2008, 01:00 PM

the 250rr isnt intimidating. I started riding on one =) Sure at the beginning the "power and weight" you may be a little overwhelmed. The power shouldnt be as bad after the first week. But the weight is always gona be tough lol

Single R's are said to have 5hp more than the RR's, be marginally lighter, have only one front brake disc and have a more upright seating position. However the differences are really negligable.

If you find a good R for a decent price, and let's face it, being a single R in itself is a great bargaining advantage for the purchaser, then it'd be as good a learner's bike as a RR.

I wouldnt get the R if i had the money. although if i was on a budget id get a r, despite the shitty seating position imo its a good bike to learn on.

Feverpitched
19-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't see why. They're basically the same bikes, just that one is cheaper than the other. For example, a Hurricane model R could be had for 2.5 - 3k if you bargained hard enough. Compare this to a Sumoto special RR with super smick paint job and dodgy mechanics for $5k+.

Zdster
19-08-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't see why. They're basically the same bikes, just that one is cheaper than the other. For example, a Hurricane model R could be had for 2.5 - 3k if you bargained hard enough. Compare this to a Sumoto special RR with super smick paint job and dodgy mechanics for $5k+.

LOL at Sumoto :D

nvmee
19-08-2008, 02:36 PM
my mate got a good single R for 1.7k and its still running hard after 3 years, he has now given it to his little brother

racerwannabe
21-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Are there any cruisers that make good learner bikes? Sorry i'm a real noob on bikes.

timizkool
22-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Are there any cruisers that make good learner bikes? Sorry i'm a real noob on bikes.

Yamaha Virago! 250cc baby cruisers!! Search under XV250

D R U
22-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Has anyone ridden a cagiva mito 125?

I can get an 05 model for $4k from one of my mates.

Type R Positive
29-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I was being sarcastic when I said 'what are you going to do on the second week after you learn to ride the first week?'
But seriously. If you can get a 600, Id get a 600. Will save you shit load of money down the track, and you will learn on a decent bike.

You will be bored and disapointed on a 125 or 250. I have seen it many times.

It doesn't take long at all to learn how to ride.

Type R Positive
29-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Has anyone ridden a cagiva mito 125?

I can get an 05 model for $4k from one of my mates.
It's weak as piss. Its tiny and gutless.

Type R Positive
29-08-2008, 11:08 PM

If you find the weight of a 250 intimidating then methinks you should stick to the pushie.ROFL!!!:p

preludacris
30-08-2008, 04:16 AM
lol well i mean. for somebody who never ridden a bike b4. they are quite diff to the ones you learn on like the cbf 250's. brakes and throttle a lot more sensitive. heavier etc.

i mean i rode on one b4 i even had any lessons, and even tho i was riding it around after a lil prac, i gotta admite when i first jumped on and pressed the brake, i almost tipped the bike... lol.

Type R Positive
30-08-2008, 04:34 AM
I know what you mean. :)

Just by spending a few hours on a particular bike will make you lots more comfortable.

My missus rode my brothers Hayabusa no worries. She had only ridden a dirtbike bike for a few months at the time, and only a honda cbf? 250 for about 2 hrs when she did her licence test.

I brought my missus a new WR250F to go dirtbike riding with. She had never ridden a bike before. Only took her about a week to become confident in the bike. I didn't want to get her no TTR125 or 250 as some here would have definately suggested...... She definately happy that I got her the bigger, better bike. She would have been spewing if I had of got her a heavy, slow POS that I would have had to sell a week or two later. She even found my 450F nicer to ride than her 250F. Extra power made it easier for her to ride it.

markCivicVti
30-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey guys... on topic with bikes to learn on, I have a Q.

Once you have your motorbike learners license... what would be the process of learning? I don't have any friends/family with bikes. How can I learn? Cos I'm a real noob i'd be looking at the cbr125r. Is my only option to pay for lessons? Hows does that work? Do you have to have the instructor as a pillion? I'm so confused...

Learning to ride would make more sense if as a learner you could ride your 125cc bike alone... or how else are u supposed to get experience without paying a fortune in lessons?

preludacris
30-08-2008, 02:32 PM
just ride around side streets.

i rkn if ur getting a bike purely for fun/speed, u mite wanna get a 250rr or something similar straight up, coz itll take a lil more practice to get used to, but you will enjoy it more later. a 125 would most definately be too slow after a few months.

if its for fun/petrol saving/commuting/ convenience, a 125 would be easier to learn on. and you can happily wait 1 year until you can upgrade to a 250 or 600. IMO.

nvmee
30-08-2008, 03:17 PM
125 will blow you away literally =) ... see what happens at when you ride near the oceans

markCivicVti
30-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys.

I suppose my main reason for looking at the cbr125r is cos I want a new bike. I know it sounds stupid and everyone thinks you're gonna drop it anyway. But its really only for a bit of weekend fun. Nothing serious, not really even trying to go fast.

Ride around side streets ey? Is that what alot of motorbike learners do? Obviously I wouldn't know how to change atm, but if thats something i can learn/practice on the smaller streets around where i live then its sounding a little more feasable.

markCivicVti
31-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi again guys,

I've had a read around... and have to to the conclusion the the cbr125r is really not right for me. Not only will it get boring very soon... I'm also 6'2" and over 80kg... which ain't gonna look pretty.

I'm sorta annoyed because the thought of a new bike for 4k is sweet.... but now having to spend around 5k for a 2nd hand 400cc bike is sort of sad.

Anywho... this saturday i'll go out and get my RE license... and sometime (towards mid-end sep) do the basic QRide course.

Type R Positive
01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Anywho... this saturday i'll go out and get my RE license... and sometime (towards mid-end sep) do the basic QRide course.
I think from memory, I had to answer 3 questions. That is all for bike licence if you got car license (which I assume you have).

If you have your open car licence, you can get your open bike licence just by completing the Qride course. :)

Go through Qride its self to do the course. Going through a bike shop will just cost you double. For what? Booking you on the course? ;)

Type R Positive
01-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I've had a read around... and have to to the conclusion the the cbr125r is really not right for me. Not only will it get boring very soon... I'm also 6'2" and over 80kg... which ain't gonna look pretty.
Mate, even a 250 is going to be the same.
Pffft! to all the people that recomment 125's and 250's..... :wave:

There are some exellent learner bikes out there such as the Suzuki GS500 (naked) or GS500F (fairing). Bikes like this are just so easy to ride. New ones are about $7k! :thumbsup:

Have the QLD bike laws changed yet? :confused:

Simply
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
If you're a big fellow get an Hyosung GT250R yo :p

markCivicVti
02-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm surprised to see the Hyosung GT250R more expensive than the kawasaki ninja 250R..

Any opinions on the ninja 250R?

lo0se3r
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
My mate wants to pick one up, they dont look too bad with all the fairing, 7Gs on road?

I prefer the hyo, looks meaner IMO and if you want it to look like a GT600R take all the stickers off and paint the exhaust black! lol

Zdster
04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm surprised to see the Hyosung GT250R more expensive than the kawasaki ninja 250R..

Any opinions on the ninja 250R?

From a reliability/brand name perspective I would go the Kwaka. There is still a massive back order on them I was told recently, so I would assume the retail value will also hold quite well if you were to pick one up now.

GReY_CVC
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
CBR 125 = 13hp lol.. enuf said just ride a horse or bicycle... !!! jkzjkz... well i guess for really small girls/guys its not bad... and it's a better looking alternative to scooters for daily riding...

rather than spending 2 to 3 grand for a scooter u can get cbr125 instead for 4 ish...

krogoth
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
13hp? seems too high, lol

Zilli
04-09-2008, 03:26 PM
everyone is such a hardass on here... if you worked in my line of work you would SEE the injuries that bike riders have, the gruesome deaths they die as a result of either their own stupidity, lack of experience, or others stupidity, or a combination of both...

I wont claim to be an angel, but who gives a flying rats **** if a learner bike is 13hp? criticising the bike, or people who ride them is like willing people to go and die... is that wise? seriously, BOYS... just because you have balls doesnt mean you need to have everything you say result from your screaming hormones....

THe purpose of LAMS, and for manufacturers to make bikes like this is so that we all learn to ride with minimal risk... i dont know of any Rossi's on this forum... and i certainly am not one... so lets all grow up yeh?

I'd like to know from peoples experinces what the 125 is like to ride as a LEARNER, not as a Stoner wannabe...

end rant

preludacris
04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
well said.

krogoth
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
ive been told im too tall and heavy for a 125

and that it wont get me past 80km/hr

so its an issue

ncmx5
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
ive been told im too tall and heavy for a 125

and that it wont get me past 80km/hr

so its an issue

LOL...

yeah, few opinions:

don't speed - 60kph

don't ride on freeways

?? lose some weight

jk jk jk!!

yeah, it makes it tough with the restrictions. Sometimes it's just hard to "beat" the traffic and get out of trouble with underpowered bikes. IMO,i don't tend to slow down to merge, but i try to speed up and merge because then i can see and predict traffic ahead of me.

krogoth
04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
u have to have some power in the end, it is a necessity

i think 125cc 4strokes are just not good enough

u cant get urself out of trouble in case the situation arises because there is no power

but im not saying go out and get a 600cc, because thats rong too

but even now zilli, honda have a 400cc bike, learner legal, among many other manufacturers too

nvmee
05-09-2008, 12:49 AM
ya ....u need power big time. today i was riding into the tunnel, and i was beside this truck and keep my space behind it while being beside it

i decide to pass him and he crosses my lane, i dropped 2 gears and whammo got myself out of trouble just in time ....otherwise my head wuld be in the tunnel wall

krogoth
05-09-2008, 12:55 AM
and braking wasnt an option?

im always careful wen passing trucks

i make myself known to say the least

make them aware of u b4 u overtake, just keep switching lanes, making racket

i even turn my lights on wen passing trucks, this is all in the car btw

Zilli
05-09-2008, 07:03 AM
krogoth, technical issues that come with your size and weight etc are factors that you need to consider when buying a bike, and i would probably be too heavy and tall to be comfortable on one too...

thats different too saying "pffftttt 13hp.... what a gay bike".... know what i mean?

nvmee
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
nah braking wasnt an option, i was 3/4 way beside him to passing him until i saw the blinkers on the corner of my eye

Type R Positive
05-09-2008, 01:30 PM
"13hp...pffft. What a gay bike"

Seriously, a Yamaha WR250F trail bike STOCK has 27hp. It is a gutless learner trail bike.

Just because it has more or less power DOESN'T make it a learner bike.

Having no power can get you into just as much trouble as having too much power.

Zilli
05-09-2008, 03:25 PM
13hp...pffft. What a gay bike!!!!!

Seriously, a Yamaha WR250F trail bike STOCK has 27hp. It is a gutless learner trail bike.

Just because it has more or less power DOESN'T make it a learner bike.

Having no power can get you into just as much trouble as having too much power.

what a ****ing stupid childish attitude... but its your attitude so whatever...

Learners should NOT be putting themselves in situations like that... otherwise there would be NO reason to have a learner strategy, and NO need for bikes which dont have the ability to get a learner in trouble... it's attitudes like yours that cause deaths on the roads...

As a learner, ride slow, be vigilant, look at whats around and ride defensively NOT offensively...

Riding fast, and using all the power of a motorcyle are not what the first 6-12 months of riding is about... it shouldnt matter how much power a bike has, because you aren't racing

Getting out of situations? such as what? having to make a fast takeoff to avert a colision from the rear? you dont need a superbike to do that... to get away from a car that is merging on you? you're an idiot for riding in the blind spot or beside a car... you are taught that in the training... a fast launch on a CB25 to 30km/h will avert a stand still situation...

You DONT need a powerful bike as a learner, if you did theyd teach you on R1's and show you how to ride fast, not carefully...

If you proactised the principles you are taught you give yourself plenty of room so you are considering the possibility of a problem situation... anything other than that is out of your control...

just my opinion i suppose

S2kane
05-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree ^

Type R Positive
05-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree ^
me too! ;)

Type R Positive
05-09-2008, 10:55 PM
what a ****ing stupid childish attitude... but its your attitude so whatever...
Just quoting you Zilli. ;)

Zilli
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
^ thanks... keep it in context when you quote me in the future...

GReY_CVC
08-09-2008, 05:06 PM
wow... so much passion here... lol... I didn't say that Ls bike need power but I just think there are better LAMS bike out there... but If you are light and small then its not a bad choice... But I think getting a bigger bike like ninja 250, suzuki across, and other 250s or larger LAMS is better... U will have better skills in low speed manouvers... which will help you not to drop or control your ever so hot dream bike when u have your fulls (while doing u turns.. balbalblabla)... LOL...

IMO that is...

uniorj
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Didn't bother reading the other pages but my friend had a CB250 and it seemed to be good for a learner and not expensive either. Another friend had a Spada which he said was a decent bike aswell (more sporty than the CB250). You won't have the bike for that long anyway because as you would already know, their learning/provisional periods are different.

Why not buy a cheap yet reliable first bike and save up money for a nice bike when you get your full license like a Triumph Daytona 675 - hot.

Entity
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
havent read this thread but the cbr250rr shits all over anything u can get as a learner

there is simply no competition

EK4R
10-09-2008, 05:01 AM
wat about the zx2r 250 . arent they pretty much same spec as the cbr. they look the same almost

Illegal
10-09-2008, 07:27 AM
here in the states, the most popular started bike is a gsx-r 600 or the honda 600rr. The honda is obviously better with the steering that it has.

Zdster
10-09-2008, 07:44 AM
havent read this thread but the cbr250rr shits all over anything u can get as a learner

Thanks for your contribution. Very detailed and well thought out. I am sure everyone else in this thread is glad you did so much research before posting.

here in the states, the most popular started bike is a gsx-r 600 or the honda 600rr. The honda is obviously better with the steering that it has.

1. It is irrelevant as we cant ride them here as learners
2. They are still not a great learner bike IMO

krogoth
10-09-2008, 07:57 AM

lol...............................

wtf is so good about the cbr250rr????

yes, theyr pretty good, but they certainly DONT "shit all over anything u can get as a learner"

too many poser learners out there that want to ride because it looks cool, thats y they go off and pay 6k for a 1988 model cbr with a poof body kit on it

6k for a 19yr old bike, gtfo

its all these idiot learners that got ripped off when buying their cbr coz they thought it was some 19year old pos bike worth its weight in gold..after they got it they realised how fkn stupid they were to pay so much for it so they go off trying to rip off the next IDIOT learner

SO IMO, stay away from the cbr and go for a good naked........with the prices some cbrs go for u can buy a brand new cb250..............................

lo0se3r
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
no point in spending 6K for a 19yo bike, then realise your gonna up grade to a bigger bike in less then you know it. Get a bike you can learn to ride on, somthing that wont hurt as much when you drop it, cause... as a learner... U ARE GONNA DROP IT!! weeeeeeeeeee

nvmee
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
meh ...im not gona bother saying stuff now. the more i say things the more i get frustrated.

krogoth
10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
man,it shits me up the wall when im browsing through bike point or something

and i see 1989 cbrs and older with alot of KMz selling for anything between 5-7k

i mean wtf

and ppl buy them, fkn hell

jap sports cars of that age hardly reach that price

rokkuchan
10-09-2008, 03:44 PM
man,it shits me up the wall when im browsing through bike point or something

and i see 1989 cbrs and older with alot of KMz selling for anything between 5-7k

i mean wtf

and ppl buy them, fkn hell

jap sports cars of that age hardly reach that price

There's a big demand in learners bike and those cbr250s are highly reliable. You buy at that price, you learn, you move on, you sell at that same price more or less.

krogoth
10-09-2008, 03:50 PM
............but mate, they are almost 20 years old

u can get similar and better performance bikes for around the same price, NEW

http://www.hondampe.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/hondampe/Home/Motorcycles/Product+Range/Road/Entry/CBF250+06/Specifications/

thats just one option

PLENTY more

ppl get the cbr coz they want a good looking sporty bike, they dont like the nakeds, they want fancy ass farings and bloody body kits

yes the cbrs are excellent learner bikes, but theyr prices are way over inflated

if u can find a good one for 3-4k MAX, then go for it...but id rather save a little longer and go with a brand new bike and sell a year or 2 later for the same price

rokkuchan
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
well it's really personal choice. If u like to spend a little more and buy a brand spanking new or second hand naked bike for around 9k+, then i assume you would want to stay on that bike for a long while... and there's probably a bigger depreciation in value for those bikes.

For the cbr250, like i said, if u buy at that price, i'm sure u can sell at that similar price with little drop in value. It's for people to learn and there's currently huge demand for learners who can't afford brand new naked bikes even though a few K extra.

For others, they may only want to learn, sell, and buy a bigger bike later.

It's your first bike, not your last...

............but mate, they are almost 20 years old

u can get similar and better performance bikes for around the same price, NEW

http://www.hondampe.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/hondampe/Home/Motorcycles/Product+Range/Road/Entry/CBF250+06/Specifications/

thats just one option

PLENTY more

ppl get the cbr coz they want a good looking sporty bike, they dont like the nakeds, they want fancy ass farings and bloody body kits

yes the cbrs are excellent learner bikes, but theyr prices are way over inflated

if u can find a good one for 3-4k MAX, then go for it...but id rather save a little longer and go with a brand new bike and sell a year or 2 later for the same price

krogoth
10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
well it's really personal choice. If u like to spend a little more and buy a brand spanking new or second hand naked bike for around 9k+, then i assume you would want to stay on that bike for a long while... and there's probably a bigger depreciation in value for those bikes.

For the cbr250, like i said, if u buy at that price, i'm sure u can sell at that similar price with little drop in value. It's for people to learn and there's currently huge demand for learners who can't afford brand new naked bikes even though a few K extra.

all of what u are saying is correct

and i agree with wat ur saying

but did u read my post properly?

i never said 9k.................of course not, 9k for a learner is too much, unless its a one or two bikes i can think of

did u see my link???

some ppl charge more than that brand new cbf250 for their 20 year old cbrs.........

and ppl buy it...that makes no sense to me....

Zdster
10-09-2008, 04:25 PM

There are plenty of other bikes that you can buy that hold there value, cost you alot less in the first place and wont have the maintenance issues of a 20 year old bike.

laijer
10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
CBR250RR ceased production in 1996, they were so overstocked that they were still selling brand new ones till 2000 or even a bit later.

Just jumped on bikepoint and did a serach for CBR250RR in VIC and guess what, there's a 2008 Honda CBR250RR for sale... wow its an RCV22 model... must be so new that I've never even heard of it before, I'm so out of touch these days

preludacris
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
i think those are imports that have been complianced in 2008?

those ones have aftermarket bodykits on them which look great, but im pretty sure they are still really old bikes, which are being sold for 8k which is pretty far out.

in regards to cbr250's, u guys know if an import would be worth it over a aus model? on bikesales the grey imports are for sale from as little as $3,000

laijer
10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
i think those are imports that have been complianced in 2008?Yeah dude, I was being facetious - hence my opening comment about ceasing production in 1996.

Those nice body kits are from TYGA. I still wouldn't pay $8K for the bike though.

preludacris
10-09-2008, 06:09 PM
haha. oopz. u shoulda put a lol or tongue out or something.... lol :P :P lol.

sometimes sarcasm doesnt translate well online

EK4R
10-09-2008, 10:02 PM
how much r those tyga kits cost and whats involved?

EKVTIR-T
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Tyga cbr is like motorbike rice.. :) jkz

By the time you pay the joke of a price for the old cbr plus buy and fit the kit you may as well buy a late model nicer bike lol

EK4R
10-09-2008, 10:30 PM
na i find out. its about 1200 for the kit landed from tyga plus paint i guess. so bout 4-5k for a cbr250 with a tyga kit lol. sif i pay that much

TurBIce
11-09-2008, 07:07 AM
just get a cheapo learners.
then buy a proper 600-1000 later.

laijer
11-09-2008, 11:06 AM
haha. oopz. u shoulda put a lol or tongue out or something.... lol :P :P lol.
sometimes sarcasm doesnt translate well onlineyou're quite right

laijer
11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
didnt know that. Girls learn on a 250 here, usually ninja'sYeah, we all know how stringent motorcycle safety laws are in the States don't we: USA Motorcycle Helmet Law (http://www.fastfreds.com/helmetlawmap.htm)

Type R Positive
11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
There is about 150 bike models over 250cc that are LAMS aproved.
To suggest these bikes are not learner friendly is total bullshit.

GReY_CVC
11-09-2008, 12:42 PM
thats true.. thats why LAMS is power to weight ratio... e.g Ducati monster 600 is LAMS bike... I though nearly all states gone to LAMS scheme... I kno ViC used to have the 250 cc rule.. and I tell yah aprillia 250 is not too learner friendly.. hahahha....

Nax
11-09-2008, 01:23 PM
wats a good honda learner bike with a bit of kick but doesnt sound like a weed wacker

would a 1991 cbr250 do it?

krogoth
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
have u been reading the last few pages??

how much have u been offered?

Nax
11-09-2008, 01:48 PM
na i skipped thro, read the first half dozen and then skipped forward, too much crap figured ide see if anyone could just say, yes/no

guys askin 4k for it. have to get my liscense first tho

krogoth
11-09-2008, 01:54 PM
any links?

is it a grey import?

how many kmz?

nvmee
11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
the 08 aprilia 125 is ****ing hawt :D but 10k lol for a whipper snipper

Feverpitched
11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
thats true.. thats why LAMS is power to weight ratio... e.g Ducati monster 600 is LAMS bike... I though nearly all states gone to LAMS scheme... I kno ViC used to have the 250 cc rule.. and I tell yah aprillia 250 is not too learner friendly.. hahahha....

Only the restricted Monster is LAMS legal. There's a doohicky on the TB which prevents you using the full throttle range.

Nax
11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/search/e.do

go nuts

Feverpitched
11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
na i skipped thro, read the first half dozen and then skipped forward, too much crap figured ide see if anyone could just say, yes/no

guys askin 4k for it. have to get my liscense first tho

Do yourself and everyone here a favour and read it.

For $4k it had better be in pristine condition and come with RWC.

Nax
11-09-2008, 03:22 PM
i read, all i saw was somone having a bitch about cbrs, not really useful information if u ask me, more of a personal pref other then saying they are often priced high.

krogoth
11-09-2008, 10:53 PM

either read properly and comment, or dont comment about what i say at all

i dont care if u disagree...evry1 can think wat they like

but if want to go and pay 6k for a 20 year old bike when u can get a brand new one for less, go right ahead

Type R Positive
12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Only the restricted Monster is LAMS legal. There's a doohicky on the TB which prevents you using the full throttle range.
A perfect learner bike? Plenty of torque + linear power = real easy to ride.
You can de-restrict the throttle stop when more confident. Thats if the bike shop hasn't done it already for you.

BTW, the Yamaha WR enduro's have these throttle stops installed at factory. The throttle stop on these bikes limits the throttle to about 1/2. Nearly all bike shops change them out at pre-delivery, with a YZ one.

nvmee
13-09-2008, 09:35 AM
California sports bikes school :D

EK4R
14-09-2008, 11:22 PM
wtf is the mod doin ? clean the thread plz, all these spammers. i keep checking back here to read up on bikes and all i see is arguments. borring

Nax
15-09-2008, 09:17 AM
fighting on the internet is like competing in the special olympics

whether you win or not, your still retarded

quick question on learner bikes. im probably gonna get a cbr125 new from honda, but im just curious as im bikernoob, would it be suicide to make an interstate journey on one?

Zdster
15-09-2008, 09:30 AM
quick question on learner bikes. im probably gonna get a cbr125 new from honda, but im just curious as im bikernoob, would it be suicide to make an interstate journey on one?

As has been said about the 125's, depending on how heavy you are getting and keeping at 100k's could be a little fun. Something else to consider is the size of the tank - I dont think it is all that large is it???

Personally I dont think I would do it, but each to there own.

Nax
15-09-2008, 09:32 AM
ya its only 10 litres i believe, im pretty light bout 75 kilos, so basically it would be a nightmare/struggle to keep upto speed etc

Q_ball
15-09-2008, 09:54 AM
wtf is the mod doin ? clean the thread plz, all these spammers. i keep checking back here to read up on bikes and all i see is arguments. borring

Perhaps you could try and help us by reporting the post instead of whinging about where the mods are - i dont know.. just a thought :thumbsup:
We do have lives you know.

Guys, keep posts constructive.
Take a breath before posting or you'll find a nice infraction next to your account.

Thanks.

Nax
15-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Perhaps you could try and help us by reporting the post instead of whinging about where the mods are - i dont know.. just a thought :thumbsup:
We do have lives you know.

Guys, keep posts constructive.
Take a breath before posting or you'll find a nice infraction next to your account.

Thanks.

sarrrved

so am i better off getting a brand new 125cbr or getting an older model 250cbr? im stuck cuz i wanna drive a honda (cuz i work for them) but the only new entry level bikes are either a 125 or a naked bike (and i hate the way they look, like a cruiser and a sport had a freakbaby)

but i do want something i can go for longer drives with cuz i like to go to victoria to see the family

Feverpitched
15-09-2008, 10:21 AM
sarrrved

so am i better off getting a brand new 125cbr or getting an older model 250cbr? im stuck cuz i wanna drive a honda (cuz i work for them) but the only new entry level bikes are either a 125 or a naked bike (and i hate the way they look, like a cruiser and a sport had a freakbaby)

but i do want something i can go for longer drives with cuz i like to go to victoria to see the family

You obviously still haven't read the entire thread. Try a VTR. If you can get over the 'freakbaby' looks then it fits your bill like a glove.

Type R Positive
15-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Long rides on a cbr125 would definately be pushing it IMO.
My mates cbr250r used to do 140km/h flat out btw, but it wasn't looked after the best.

lo0se3r
15-09-2008, 10:54 AM
yeh a VTR would be a good choice for a first bike and as your saying

"i do want something i can go for longer drives with cuz i like to go to victoria to see the family"

alot more comfortable then alot of the other smaller bikes for longer trips and its a HONDA!! :D

Nax
15-09-2008, 11:04 AM
but its just so fugly :( if it was a cruiser *thumbsup*, if it was a sport againt *thumbsup* but i just cant stand the cross of them. is there a model i may have overlooked?

Feverpitched
15-09-2008, 11:16 AM
To each their own. To me, the CBR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR now looks pretty long in the tooth, especially once you take a look underneath all the fancy pants glitter/reflective stickers. Yuck.

Zdster
15-09-2008, 11:24 AM
To each their own. To me, the CBR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR now looks pretty long in the tooth, especially once you take a look underneath all the fancy pants glitter/reflective stickers. Yuck.

I agree. Personally other than the fairings I dont find them all that attractive.

I am still adement that a non-faired bike or semi-faired is the best bet for a learner.

Nax, maybe check out the CB400 (havent ridden one, but could be ok) or in my opinion if you are planing on doing country riding as well as commuting try the bike I learnt on - a dominator (the most comfortable bike I have been on).

Nax
15-09-2008, 11:49 AM
ya i only go maybe once every two to three months, but its not a must to go cross country, 99% of my riding will be in city conditions so ya. i was just wondering if there was something i might have overlooked, looks like it will be the bus to victoria for me till im on my fulls lol.

Feverpitched
15-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Finding a CB400 would be the only issue. Rare as hen's fillings. I've personally never seen one in Australia.

Zdster
15-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Does Adelaide have a LAMS system in place?

Interesting - the CB is listed on the Honda website so yuo could always pick up a new one.

Nax
15-09-2008, 12:17 PM
far as i know it does, strangely enough when u check the lams website its missing a couple of the honda bikes, probably not up to date enough

Feverpitched
15-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Does Adelaide have a LAMS system in place?

Interesting - the CB is listed on the Honda website so yuo could always pick up a new one.

Just checked Google. Apparently they went on sale from May 2nd 2008. Looks like a nice sewing machine alternative to the VTR twin. Twin outboard rear shocks though? What the hell is wrong with a normal mono-shock? :zip:

Feverpitched
15-09-2008, 12:54 PM
far as i know it does, strangely enough when u check the lams website its missing a couple of the honda bikes, probably not up to date enough

LAMS-approved bike lists vary from State to State.

lo0se3r
15-09-2008, 01:42 PM
hay Nax what about a suzuki gs500f? full fairing, no tooooooo ugly, learner legal and comfortable riding position =)

Nax
15-09-2008, 01:47 PM
hmm if possible ide like to keep it in the honda family, looks better from a sales point of view if a client asks me what i drive i can say a honda. is there anything a couple years old that would be worth used? i know theres a cbr250but id rather buy new. maybe ill just cave and get a vtr250 lol

oh and btw i was lookin at the SA one, no cbr125, no vtr250, but they are supposed to be lams approved

EK4R
16-09-2008, 05:08 AM
during my training we rode the CBF, it was actually quiet easy to ride and move around in once you get the hang of it. keep in mind i had never ridden in my life so as a learner it was quiet good. take off was easy and breaking was forgiving. the stance was comfortable, good enough for long journeys. only thing i didnt like was the naked bike look but if that doesnt affect you , i say go for that.

ps. i just got a bike, i cant seem to get the hang of U turns...fark. hints anyone?? i cant seem to be able to turn the bike enough..scare it will tip over lol am i goin too slow?

Zdster
16-09-2008, 08:53 AM
oh and btw i was lookin at the SA one, no cbr125, no vtr250, but they are supposed to be lams approved

I havent looked up SA LAMS rules, but read the fine print around bikes under 250cc. If it is like Victoria, they will say something like all 250cc bikes and below are permissable except for . . . (in other words you can ride any 250 or less capacity bike except for the ones listed).

ps. i just got a bike, i cant seem to get the hang of U turns...fark. hints anyone?? i cant seem to be able to turn the bike enough..scare it will tip over lol am i goin too slow?

I know it sounds obvious, but look where you want to go and the bike will follow. Also, try not to launch straight into a U turn from a standing stop.
If you want to catch up sometime George let me know.

Nax
16-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I havent looked up SA LAMS rules, but read the fine print around bikes under 250cc. If it is like Victoria, they will say something like all 250cc bikes and below are permissable except for . . . (in other words you can ride any 250 or less capacity bike except for the ones listed).

I know it sounds obvious, but look where you want to go and the bike will follow. Also, try not to launch straight into a U turn from a standing stop.

checked it, you are correct! thanks mate

sounds alot like riding a normal bicycle, look and bike follows and if u go slow danger time! lol. if you really cant get the hang of it tho u cant just pick ur bike up and turn it around like on a bicycle :P

lo0se3r
16-09-2008, 11:28 AM
EK4R what bike is this? I know that for a cbr250rr its quite hard due to having such a small turning circle

Feverpitched
16-09-2008, 11:31 AM
When I do U-Turns I try to keep the following in mind:

Grip hard with the knees.
Look where you want to go (in this case, over your shoulder and behind you, not at the gutter)
Counter-lean - tip the bike into the u-turn but put your balance point on the outside of the u-turn.

Lots of practice should get you there.

Nax
16-09-2008, 02:09 PM
its funny how we know how to do something, but our body prevents us from doing it by natural reflexes and we have to learn to override that

Nax
16-09-2008, 04:08 PM
has anyone here ridden an hyosung aquila 650? are they hell sluggish or do they go alright

EK4R
16-09-2008, 05:23 PM

did you get a bike mike??

EK4R what bike is this? I know that for a cbr250rr its quite hard due to having such a small turning circle

got a little ninja to play with. so yeah very similiar to the cbrs , turning circle sux

Counter-lean - tip the bike into the u-turn but put your balance point on the outside of the u-turn.

Lots of practice should get you there.

good tip will give it a try

Zdster
17-09-2008, 08:52 AM
did you get a bike mike??

Had one for a while George :). Send me a PM.

Nax
17-09-2008, 09:15 AM
does anyone know what the protocall is like at motorbike dealers for test rides, cuz im literally going to go direct from my license course to the shop, im just a bit afraid to drop it or something and end up paying bux for it. but how else do they expect learners to try out the bikes? do they have a beaten up one or?

Zdster
17-09-2008, 10:25 AM
does anyone know what the protocall is like at motorbike dealers for test rides, cuz im literally going to go direct from my license course to the shop, im just a bit afraid to drop it or something and end up paying bux for it. but how else do they expect learners to try out the bikes? do they have a beaten up one or?

Most shops wont let you test ride - its like your learners on your car. Best bet is to take a mate who rides to take it out for a spin and make sure it is mechanically alright. You can then just sit on it and make sure you are comfortable.

The other point is, as a learner there isnt to much point in you taking the bike out anyway as you dont have any experience and dont know what to look for (in terms of handling etc).

Best bet is to sit on a few bikes, find the one that is most comfortable, you like the looks off and suits your purpose. Then find a second hand one or new and get a mate who is into bikes to test ride it and check it out. If you need further evidence that it is mechanically ok, lots of shops do inspection work so just find somewhere good.

Nax
17-09-2008, 10:28 AM
im the only one of all my mates who rides:( i dont even know an aquaintance who rides lol. i more just wanted to see wat the diff was between something like a cbr125, a cbr250 and posibly a vtr250 or even a cruiser on the road, ive only done dirtbikes,snowmobiles, atvs etc, so im not sure what to expect, and i dont want to get stuck with something that feels like a moped on the road.

yes im aware there is advice on here to say wat they are like, but as i say to clients, paper means nothing till u actually sit in it and drive it

Zdster
17-09-2008, 10:36 AM
im the only one of all my mates who rides:( i dont even know an aquaintance who rides lol. i more just wanted to see wat the diff was between something like a cbr125, a cbr250 and posibly a vtr250 or even a cruiser on the road, ive only done dirtbikes,snowmobiles, atvs etc, so im not sure what to expect, and i dont want to get stuck with something that feels like a moped on the road.

yes im aware there is advice on here to say wat they are like, but as i say to clients, paper means nothing till u actually sit in it and drive it

I think you will find it hard to find a dealership who will let you test ride.

IMO the best thing to do is what I have stated. Find a comfortable bike to sit on. Do a fair bit of reading about the differences between the 125 and 250. The thing to remember is that neither bike is particularly quick (from a bike sense), but the 250 is going to be a lot less like a scooter than the 125.

IMO the vtr250 is the best of the ones that you have listed - it has the best all round handling, power and versatility for a learner. There is a reason that so many people choose to learn on one.

I think you were looking at buying new wernt you? While I dont think this is the best option for a learner, it will save on getting the bike checked out and you can buy of the dealership floor.

Nax
17-09-2008, 10:50 AM
ide look at buying from a dealer either way, new or used, a 125 ide probably go new as they are already cheap and off the floor, a vtr is a bit dearer so ide prob look at buying used. is a cbr 250 gonna be a similair ride to the vtr? the look is growing on me for the vtr but i dont know if i can justify in my mind spending 6-8k on a bike im not really too flash on visually ya know?

Type R Positive
17-09-2008, 10:53 AM
you will regret a 125.....

Nax
17-09-2008, 10:57 AM
well the thing is i have a 7k a year car pack thro work, so i dont want to spend more then that (would like to have it completely paid off by the end of the year next year to upgrade to bigger bike on fulls) so if i get a vtr im gonna be really tight on buying gear and insurance for it, insurance im looking at around 1300, so that gives me just under 6 to spend sorta deal

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:01 AM
well the thing is i have a 7k a year car pack thro work, so i dont want to spend more then that (would like to have it completely paid off by the end of the year next year to upgrade to bigger bike on fulls) so if i get a vtr im gonna be really tight on buying gear and insurance for it, insurance im looking at around 1300, so that gives me just under 6 to spend sorta deal

You will be able to pick up a good used vtr for about $5k. Look around on bikesales (just be careful as there are lots of nigerian scammers on there) and go and check it out. When you find one that you like ask them if they can drop it off to a bike shop (if you are in Melbourne I would recommend one) for them to do a look over on it.

As Type R said, I think you will quickly get over a 125 unless of course you are only using it for daily commuting through the city where its size makes it slightly better.

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:03 AM
ide look at buying from a dealer either way, new or used, a 125 ide probably go new as they are already cheap and off the floor, a vtr is a bit dearer so ide prob look at buying used. is a cbr 250 gonna be a similair ride to the vtr? the look is growing on me for the vtr but i dont know if i can justify in my mind spending 6-8k on a bike im not really too flash on visually ya know?

Two things. I wouldnt get a learner second hand bike through a dealer - there are lots out there in private hands and will be a lot cheaper.

The second thing is that for most people you are only on a learner bike for the year before upgrading. Look at practicality first IMO and then consider looks. Its almost like saying I need a four door car for work, but I dont like the look of them so I will get a two door . . .

Nax
17-09-2008, 11:08 AM
fair call on that one. the other reason im leaning towards a dealer is because working for honda, i will probably be able to get a good deal, and because its packaged with work i will need to do finance (and after the whole car finance b.s. ide rather just make it simple and quick, spent two months trying to find soemone who would help me, and in the end no one would) is a CBR250 out of the question here? i know its a bit odler but if i can find one with low k's are they half decent or am i best off just getting a vtr, and is there a sport front for the vtr like on the zeal? thanks for all the help guys, god i love OH :D

oh and its gonna be mostly for the commute, but i do do a fair bit of crusiing and driving (specially if im gettnig my confidence on the bike up ill be doing lots of around driving)

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:18 AM
fair call on that one. the other reason im leaning towards a dealer is because working for honda, i will probably be able to get a good deal, and because its packaged with work i will need to do finance (and after the whole car finance b.s. ide rather just make it simple and quick, spent two months trying to find soemone who would help me, and in the end no one would) is a CBR250 out of the question here? i know its a bit odler but if i can find one with low k's are they half decent or am i best off just getting a vtr, and is there a sport front for the vtr like on the zeal? thanks for all the help guys, god i love OH :D

oh and its gonna be mostly for the commute, but i do do a fair bit of crusiing and driving (specially if im gettnig my confidence on the bike up ill be doing lots of around driving)

Have a search on www.netrider.com.au (http://www.netrider.com.au) and see what they think as well.

If you are sticking to a Honda, as I have said before, I would be looking at a VTR - will be newer, wont have the hassle of if it is an import etc, will more than likely be cheaper, dont have the issue of fairings, if you do drop one finding parts shouldnt be a problem, lots of good ones on the market etc etc.

Cant you just get finance through Honda HQ and then find the bike you are after or does finance have to come through a dealership?

Not sure if there is any other front ends around, but you could always strip it back further and make it a street fighter :D. Personally I wouldnt worry about the looks - I still have a GPX (which is ugly as sin) that I get around on to commute and as I like to say the rider makes the bike :).

krogoth
17-09-2008, 11:20 AM
look, the cbr250 is a good learner bike

but, its too common

its too expensive, most ppl charge u a kidney for one, esp in dealers

in ALOT of cases, u can pretty much get a brand new bike wit similar performance to a cbr250

fairings are GHEY, especially for a first bike, mate y are u so into fairings and a sports look?

fairings get damaged easily, u will drop it, and they are expensive to fix, besides, i think fairings are for posers, imo, esp on a 250, because the damn thing doesnt go fast enough to make any use of blody fairings

go do watever u like by all means, get a cbr250 if u want, but i cant stand them....the thing u have to understand is wat u are paying for

cbr250s that go for 6-7k sometimes, that is so much bfs man its not funny, in some cases its an 18year old GREY import, who knows the history behind it here or from japan, and it has some stupid ass body kit on it that costs more than bloody bike itself

if u can find a cbr in good condition, say 1990 model or so, it should be no more than 3k, 3.5 max, but thats rare, because too many learners want to LOOK GOOD on their bikes

imo, u look like a sensible bike enthusiast on something like a vtr, and they look a thousand times better imo than any cbr with a body kit, and they are new

ther isnt a comparison..

Nax
17-09-2008, 11:26 AM
ok u guys have convinced me, im out to find a vtr! well played my friends well played.

so im definately better off buying used then eh? specially as ill just upgrade after a year ya?

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:43 AM
so im definately better off buying used then eh? specially as ill just upgrade after a year ya?

Yep. Most learner bikes do a turn around like that - someone owns them new, keeps it for the year, then a new owner for a year and another for year.

Personally, I would look for a 2000+ model, with less than 25,000-30,000km's if you can. Maybe one that has had only a couple of owners, good service history etc. Since you dont know much about bikes, get onto some bike forums and find out where the good SA bike shops are. Go in and make some buddies in there (tell them you are new and just feeling things out). Find out if they do inspection checks so when you find the bike you think is right you can take it to them.

Also, a word of warning, dont buy the first bike you see. In learner bikes there can be some really dodgy ones floating around. There are also some really bad bike shops around (at least in Melbourne - can anyone say Sumoto) so just be weary. Learn lots and dont take what one person says for granted - this should save you money and you will have a better understanding of how things work.

Nax
17-09-2008, 11:51 AM
be nice if there were more sa people on here selling/riding bikes:( ill have to commando it and solo the whole bike industry bwahhahaha. one thing on my side is that i work for honda, and so far in my car buying experience the sales guy shits himself and stops trying to pitch me cuz he knows i can see thro his bs, quite useful, not sure if it will work in bike shops tho.

thers a bike shop very close to my house (ones a duca dealer and ones a honda/seadoo) so ill go and putter around there on friday, get a feel. they have a couple vtrs for 5000 and 7000 so ill have a look.

Zdster
17-09-2008, 12:00 PM
be nice if there were more sa people on here selling/riding bikes:( ill have to commando it and solo the whole bike industry bwahhahaha. one thing on my side is that i work for honda, and so far in my car buying experience the sales guy shits himself and stops trying to pitch me cuz he knows i can see thro his bs, quite useful, not sure if it will work in bike shops tho.

thers a bike shop very close to my house (ones a duca dealer and ones a honda/seadoo) so ill go and putter around there on friday, get a feel. they have a couple vtrs for 5000 and 7000 so ill have a look.

I have said this before, but get on www.netrider.com.au (http://www.netrider.com.au). Should be a few SA members on there of they can direct you to an SA based bike forum. Doing your research about bikes/prices etc is vital IMO.

Nax
17-09-2008, 02:06 PM
netrider isnt really too useful for sa, only a small amount of members:(

Feverpitched
17-09-2008, 02:11 PM
You can always buy interstate. Shipping is cheap, or you can make it even cheaper by flying there and riding back.

Nax
17-09-2008, 02:12 PM
on a 250?

and i couldnt really inspect before hand if i did that and dont have family interstate or friends. ill just have to see what i can do locally

Zdster
17-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Heres one that might be worth checking out as a starting point (although it is from a dealership):
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Motorbikes/Road-Bikes/AdNumber=W931716233351?BackToResult=true

Zdster
17-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh, just found this after a quick search - http://www.motorcyclingsa.org.au/
Dont know anything about them but could be worth sussing out.

Nax
17-09-2008, 03:29 PM
2003 model, no tacko, should i try to get a 2004+ with a tacko or is it not a big deal on a bike?

Zdster
17-09-2008, 03:35 PM
2003 model, no tacko, should i try to get a 2004+ with a tacko or is it not a big deal on a bike?

Its sort of like driving a car. You know where to shift by listening to the engine. It is much more convenient though to have a tacho.

nvmee
17-09-2008, 03:36 PM
ive had my 250rr for a few years now =)

Zdster
18-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Just had to share:
CBR250R 1989 model, 50,000km's asking $5,000

LOL - the bike is 19 years old and they want $5k!

Nax
18-09-2008, 12:12 PM
i saw the same, a 89 cbr250 for 7.5, wat a toss sif u would pay that i mean comon u could buy a brand new vtr for close to that if ur good at haggling, or two cbr125s lol, just ductape them together and ull have a cbr250 :P

lo0se3r
18-09-2008, 12:47 PM
i saw the same, a 89 cbr250 for 7.5, wat a toss sif u would pay that i mean comon u could buy a brand new vtr for close to that if ur good at haggling, or two cbr125s lol, just ductape them together and ull have a cbr250 :P

hahaha

what if you want a 600? or a 1000? ductape 5 cbr 125s or 8?!

seeefffff not use cable ties!

Nax
18-09-2008, 12:49 PM
lol ude have to jump from bike to bike to throttle and brake, or just get like a massive stick with clamps on it :P

this is shitting me, no one in sa seems to have vtrs, theres like 2 so far not inc dealers blah

krogoth
18-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Just had to share:
CBR250R 1989 model, 50,000km's asking $5,000

LOL - the bike is 19 years old and they want $5k!

but ive been said this numerous times throughout the thread, lol

now u realise?

Nax
18-09-2008, 01:10 PM
sorry forgot u were god of knowing everythin

i didnt realise anything, it snot like when i first came on i was saying LULZ lets all buy cbr250s for 8K woot woot woot LOLOLOL!!! was just joining in with zdsters comment

Zdster
18-09-2008, 01:11 PM
but ive been said this numerous times throughout the thread, lol

now u realise?

Nah, just saw one that just came on a site I read.

nvmee
18-09-2008, 01:23 PM
well if i wanted to sell my bike id sell it for 5k too. if there are people who are willing to pay for it then why not? why are you guys laughing anywais, looking at this forum you see type rs that go to 30~k and civics that go for 10-15k because it has vtec or amber lights

but the thing is i dont wana sell my bike.

so much disrespect. yet when i bring it up in regards of the civics you guys bring out the supply and demand, well its the same as bikes isnt it?

if you dont like it then dont buy it, simple as that

Nax
18-09-2008, 01:24 PM
lol nice and true

suppose its the old theory, start stupid high on one end, start stupid low on the other, meet in the middle

Zdster
18-09-2008, 01:43 PM

And I wont and I wouldnt encourage others to buy one either.

krogoth
18-09-2008, 01:45 PM
sorry forgot u were god of knowing everythin

i didnt realise anything, it snot like when i first came on i was saying LULZ lets all buy cbr250s for 8K woot woot woot LOLOLOL!!! was just joining in with zdsters comment

lol fair enough

and i never implied i was the god of all knowledge, of course not, lol, stil much to learn

Nah, just saw one that just came on a site I read.

wasnt really directed to u mike

lol

well if i wanted to sell my bike id sell it for 5k too. if there are people who are willing to pay for it then why not? why are you guys laughing anywais, looking at this forum you see type rs that go to 30~k and civics that go for 10-15k because it has vtec or amber lights

but the thing is i dont wana sell my bike.

so much disrespect. yet when i bring it up in regards of the civics you guys bring out the supply and demand, well its the same as bikes isnt it?

and fair enough

ppl can sell things for watever they want

and yes, ppl will continue to sell their cbr250s for much more than they are worth for YEARS to come, because they will always be a market for them

my point the whole time has been to argue against doing that....but yeh thats just my opinion

and my idealogy doesnt apply to bikes only, bs prices on cars like ae86s and such also give me a headache

ppl are so into appearance and looks these days it makes me wonder....they forget that the bike/car is from a 2 generations in the past and just care about the looks/stereotype associated with a certain car or bike...meaning they are willing to pay alot more than its worth

Zdster
18-09-2008, 01:50 PM
and yes, ppl will continue to sell their cbr250s for much more than they are worth for YEARS to come, because they will always be a market for them

my point the whole time has been to argue against doing that....but yeh thats just my opinion

and my idealogy doesnt apply to bikes only, bs prices on cars like ae86s and such also give me a headache

ppl are so into appearance and looks these days it makes me wonder....they forget that the bike/car is from a 2 generations in the past and just care about the looks/stereotype associated with a certain car or bike...meaning they are willing to pay alot more than its worth

I am more than happy for people to keep selling their overpriced goods to people who will buy them. It still doesnt make it a good idea to purchase one.

Consider the fact that the CBR250RR was worth less than $10k new. So in some 15 years it has depreciated by less than half?!

nvmee
18-09-2008, 01:53 PM
thats why i hate people who buy cbr250rrs, ****ing tool L platers are willing to sell and arm for one for what? for posing of course. alot of people say hey man why dont you upgrade? i dont want to, simple as that and its not because i cant afford it. its more of the fact that this bike to me has sentimental value. so im like yeh yeh yeh

Nax
18-09-2008, 01:57 PM
are u riding a cbr250 atm ?

Nax
18-09-2008, 03:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-HONDA-CBR250RR-FIREBLADE-SPORTSBIKE-ROAD_W0QQitemZ290260012572QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10268 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

least hes asking a reasonable price, u guys put me off fairings now tho lol

krogoth
18-09-2008, 03:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1996-HONDA-CBR250RR-FIREBLADE-SPORTSBIKE-ROAD_W0QQitemZ290260012572QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10268 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the price is reasonable now

still 4 days to go

lo0se3r
19-09-2008, 11:50 AM

hmmm interesting... a cbr600 tail on a cbr250?... would look alot nicer if he had used the whole rear tail with lights, instead of intergrading in the 250's lights

Nax
20-09-2008, 09:44 AM
went and talked to a dealer about a bike, they sold their last used:( but they said a cbf250 would be good for wat im lookin for. anyone have any ideas on what its like, i know its a thumper vs the vtrs v-twin, but should i just go the extra 3.5k for a vtr or for the year im on L's is the cbf gonna be fine? im trying to keep it around 8k cuz i can pay it off in the first year with my car pack and then upgrade

lo0se3r
20-09-2008, 11:27 AM
^^ its really up to you mate. what are yu planning to use the bike for? just regular commuting? or still melbourne? lol then the cbfs fine, its not my money so its really up to you, but imo the vtrs a bit more then just a 250, it will last you till your well off your fulls, but you gotta think that if you gonna up grade asap, then dont waste the extra 3K save it, buy gear or something

Nax
20-09-2008, 11:44 AM
ya im planning on upgrading asap. i just dont wanna get stuck with a crapmatic sorta deal. it will be just used for the regular comute. has anyone ridden one? wats it like off the line, menauverability etc etc.

EK4R
20-09-2008, 02:44 PM
^^ read what i typed few pages back on CBFs...ppl dont ready

Nax
20-09-2008, 03:57 PM
no offense but can u blame people for not reading 16 pages of spam to find the couple of people who know what they are on about? its alot easier to ask and have someone repeat themselves, or have someone else with new input then to go back to the start and listen to people ramble about shit.

nvmee
20-09-2008, 05:19 PM
just came back from putty road .... kept up with the big boys, but i just realised the newer bikes are so much easier to tip in and steer very well :/ almost went into the gravel today, scared teh shit out of me

Nax
20-09-2008, 05:20 PM

wat just happened

i think im pregnant

markCivicVti
20-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey guys,
I'm pretty close to buying the new kwaka ninja 250r. They are retailing for 7k plus on roads. Which is a bit expensive for a 250 learner bike... but I'm planning on keeping it for long. Wondering what you guys think about the bike... and how low the ride away price could be. I know 'normal' pricing is around 8300 ride away. Not sure what price to aim for.

Zdster
20-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey guys,
I'm pretty close to buying the new kwaka ninja 250r. They are retailing for 7k plus on roads. Which is a bit expensive for a 250 learner bike... but I'm planning on keeping it for long. Wondering what you guys think about the bike... and how low the ride away price could be. I know 'normal' pricing is around 8300 ride away. Not sure what price to aim for.

Check out netrider.com.au (in the bike review section). There is a long post about them. Personally I wouldnt bother spending that much on a learner bike, but up to you. You also have all the other issues of a new bike and also a faired bike.

I know that they are on backorder everywhere so not sure what sort of deal you will get on one.

markCivicVti
20-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks Zdster,
I'll check them out. I can get the bike ride away for 7800 including q-ride thrown in (about 600 bucks value)... which is pretty good considering I didn't even negotiate yet...

I'm happy to wait for the bike... no rush.. and when i get it I'm certain I'll be sensible... and if the wors happens I'll be fully geared up anyway :)

krogoth
21-09-2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/modeldetail.php?intBikeID=108

http://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/images/upload/working/80060007_INTRUDER-250LC_K7_SS.jpg

i love this

saw one today

awesome

250 4 stroke V-twin

learner legal

around 6.8 new or so

lo0se3r
21-09-2008, 09:15 PM
^^ hey thats pretty sick for a 250!

Nax
22-09-2008, 09:23 AM
ya u can get some pretty nice cruisers in the learner class, sport bikes sorta miss the mark it seems

lo0se3r
22-09-2008, 09:57 AM
its all the race boy fairings that make them expensive, but theres not much you can do if you like that style of bike.

krogoth
22-09-2008, 10:12 AM
i reckon ill go with an intruder for my first bike

im not exactly small or light, so the tiny bikes are def out of the question

the intruder, is actually pretty big, the tyres are wide, it seems like a very stable, very good looking bike

and i guess it would be more than capable of going for long drives interstate or something

but i also so a cbf250 next to it.........it may have been another cbf because i never realised how big they are

Nax
22-09-2008, 10:17 AM
well u could get a cheaper naked bike, some duct tape and a bunch of colored cardboard! way easier to repair